Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ideal Offseason Scenario

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Smith is supposedly getting the tag if the Bucs can't sign him to a long term deal. Williams is a RT, I wouldn't be oppose to signing him, although he is coming off and injury so you have to be aware of that.

Also kind of a little worried about Brown. He wants to be(and probably will be) the highest paid OT in football. The talent level with him is immense, no question about it. But Dante Scarnecchia had an interesting quote about Brown, at least according to the AM guys on 610(I can't find it anywhere), it was something like "It was an interesting process trying to get Brown to adjust to the Patriots level of practice and preparation" I heard this after I saw some Bay are reporters tweets about how the players and the coaches with the 49ers were less than enthused with Browns work ethic.

I've since read a quotes from Scarnecchia saying how hard Brown has worked to get to where he is, so if there was an adjustment to get him in the right mindset you just hope he keeps that same mindset after getting paid. With that being said I'd still go after him, just something to be aware of
Sometimes it takes a guy like Scarnecchia to show a classic underachiever like Brown what kind of work it takes to reach his potential. That's why guys like Scarnecchia are GOAT's.

If the Texans sign Brown and he reverts back to being avg then that will fall directly on Devlin and BOB.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Sometimes it takes a guy like Scarnecchia to show a classic underachiever like Brown what kind of work it takes to reach his potential. That's why guys like Scarnecchia are GOAT's.

If the Texans sign Brown and he reverts back to being avg then that will fall directly on Devlin and BOB.
yea to me that would definitely be the 3rd strike for Devlin. 1st being X, 2nd being Martin. Both high round picks that have never reached their supposed potential

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
yea to me that would definitely be the 3rd strike for Devlin. 1st being X, 2nd being Martin. Both high round picks that have never reached their supposed potential
You know that I'm looking forward to the Gaine/BOB team going to work. But I've got very little faith in Devlin.

More than the complaints about the BOB offense, I think BOB's greatest shortcoming is his loyalty to subpar asst coaches. Does this remind you of another former Texans HC?

Last edited:

Shishkabob

All Pro
You know that I'm looking forward to the Gaine/BOB team go to work. But I've got very little faith in Devlin.

Mor than the complaints about the BOB offense, I think BOB's greatest shortcoming is his loyalty to subpar asst coaches. Does this remind you of another former Texans HC?
It really is weird because so many people around the league speak highly of Devlin. Zerlien and his father both speak highly of him, Ross Tucker has said he is a great OL coach to name a few, but I have just never seen anything to justify this opinion whether here or with the Jets

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It really is weird because so many people around the league speak highly of Devlin. Zerlien and his father both speak highly of him, Ross Tucker has said he is a great OL coach to name a few, but I have just never seen anything to justify this opinion whether here or with the Jets
We're on the same page.

This will be a make or break yr for Devlin. They're going to add talent, particularly young talent and how the young talent develops will determine Devlin's fate. Good news is Devlin is getting an up close and personal look, working these guys out at the combine. Bad news is Devli has a spotty at best track record of developing young OL.

zshawn10

All Pro
From walterfootball today

Sources with the Texans say they are very interested in Patriots free agent offensive tackle Trent Brown, and Houston could make a big run at him in free agency....

Houston's evaluators were very impressed with how Brown played against Clowney last year in the season opener. They also thought Brown did well in the playoffs, and they like his flexibility to play left or right tackle.

Another free agent offensive linemen Texanssources say they like is Rams guard Rodger Saffold. They think Saffold could play left tackle if necessary and move back to guard when a young long-term left tackle is ready to play. Texans sources said they also like Chiefs center Mitch Morse and think Cardinals guard Mike Iupati could still be a good run blocker who might be worth signing on a short-term contract.

http://www.walterfootball.com/NFLHotPress

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Not sure what his value would be. A 5th to 7th rd pick? Might up our return to wait for injuries at the end of the preseason.
The only reason they are offloading him is to save cap - after all, it's no secret Texans need CB help and they are getting rid of one?
Red flag for prospective suitors.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Kevin Johnson is barely NFL rosterable at this point. Johnson has performed below average and has had multiple medical issues including at least two serious concussions. The contract, assuming Johnson can actually pass a legit physical, makes keeping him a non-thought. Any compensation for him is a gift.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Kevin Johnson is barely NFL rosterable at this point. Johnson has performed below average and has had multiple medical issues including at least two serious concussions. The contract, assuming Johnson can actually pass a legit physical, makes keeping him a non-thought. Any compensation for him is a gift.
Would there be better value as a compensatory pick next year?

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
That's why I was asking.
I was wondering if there was a scenario where Texans could release him or whatever and receive a comp?
In this case,

1- Johnson would have to play the entire 2019 season under contract with the Texans
2- During the 2020 off-season a team would have to sign Johnson to free agent contract
3- Houston would have to lose more free agents than they sign during the 2020 off-season
4- Johnson would have to play for his new team through 2020
5- The Texans would get a compensatory pick based on the value of Johnson's contract and how much/well plays (exact formula not known)
6- this pick would be for the 2021 draft.

zshawn10

All Pro
Potentially good news for us

Several Teams Have Graded Just One First-Round Cornerback
Updated March 3, 2019
By Charlie Campbell. Follow Charlie on Twitter @draftcampbell.

Outside of the defensive line, there are several positions in the 2019 NFL Draft that are not as talented as typical years, and one of those positions is cornerback. Some teams only have one cornerback with a first-round grade, and that can vary as to which cornerback. However, across a handful of teams, the top consensus cornerback was DeAndre Baker from Georgia, and others like LSU's Greedy Williams and Washington's Byron Murphy were getting a lot of second-round grades.

"We only had one corner get a first-round grade. That was Baker from Georgia," said a NFC general manager. "We have Greedy [Williams], Byron [Murphy], and Rock [Ya-Sin] graded in round two."

An AFC general manager said he had the players graded the same. He felt that Williams was graded in the second for them, and he said he was one of the most overrated players in the draft. Another top scout from an AFC team said they had Williams in the second frame as well because he lacks strength, gets bumped and out-physicaled, can't play inside, lacks instincts and awareness, doesn't have feel or make plays in off man coverage, and lacks the speed a team would want for a 180-pounder.

An AFC director of college scouting said something similar: "Baker is the only corner we have graded in the first, but I think Greedy could slip into the first round."

Another AFC director of college scouting texted, "Yes there is only one first-round corner for us on an evaluation perspective, but I think three will go in the first round: Baker, Williams, Murphy."

There are lots of teams that need help at cornerback, so even though teams may only have one first-round-graded cornerback, there could easily be more than one gets selected in the opening frame.

http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Several-Teams-Have-Graded-Just-One-First-Round-Cornerback

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Are you saying good news because they may slip?? I do agree it looks more likely to have a rush on OT so we will have a decision around 4th best tackle or second best CB or something thereabout

zshawn10

All Pro
Are you saying good news because they may slip?? I do agree it looks more likely to have a rush on OT so we will have a decision around 4th best tackle or second best CB or something thereabout
Yes and no; there are a lot of good CBs in the draft but it seems like one of Greedy, Murphy, or Baker might make it to us which means OLs might go earlier than we thought

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Yeah, I am seeing more hunger and higher evaluated OT, so "feels" like more likely they pop off the board. Then Gaine has a hard decision unless he executed well in FA, then they go by their board because they got a starter at tackle and CB already and can get the guy they want. I am mixed on Greedy. The 2017 version I was happier with. Hard to tell when he got less traffic in 2018, but speed and build bug me. KJohnson being slender meant a lot of injuries and worried at 180 can he really play physical as we miss that. So Greedy is not my guy with what I have seen so far

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah, I am seeing more hunger and higher evaluated OT, so "feels" like more likely they pop off the board. Then Gaine has a hard decision unless he executed well in FA, then they go by their board because they got a starter at tackle and CB already and can get the guy they want. I am mixed on Greedy. The 2017 version I was happier with. Hard to tell when he got less traffic in 2018, but speed and build bug me. KJohnson being slender meant a lot of injuries and worried at 180 can he really play physical as we miss that. So Greedy is not my guy with what I have seen so far
If they get Brown in FA and Dillard isn't there, I hope they draft Greedy. You cant go wrong taking a LSU CB at worst you will get a young Claiborne. Jamal Adams and HB vouch for Greedy's talent and that's good enough for me.

How many OT's do you think go in the 1st rd and who do you think they will be?

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
If they get Brown in FA and Dillard isn't there, I hope they draft Greedy. You cant go wrong taking a LSU CB at worst you will get a young Claiborne. Jamal Adams and HB vouch for Greedy's talent and that's good enough for me.

How many OT's do you think go in the 1st rd and who do you think they will be?
Jawaan Taylor, Dillard, Risner, Ford seem to be the potential 1st round guys. Little may be borderline, looking at need feels like 4 to me. We may get lucky and people cannot pass on the DL studs, that looks deep and I think will be higher on some boards then these OT. OT is hit and miss so if not desperate get the stud DL sure fire guy in rd 1. Missing on RD1 hurts GMs

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
DL, LB, WR, QB and TE positions could really shake up the first round. Trade ups will be to get QB's. I think the Texans could be a perfect storm where some the needs and targets could slip into the later RD1 and RD2. The Texans could really impact this process if they could sign Trent Brown. I know some will not agree, but signing Bell could really put the focus of this draft on areas of need....RT, C/G, CB, TE, and WR.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That only leave one 380 lb domino standing.

Gotta pay Brown atleast 15 mil per over 5 yrs with 35-40 mil guaranteed. Smith's contract sets the market. Y'all comfortable with this? I am as long as the contract is front loaded in the 1st 2 yrs.

OptimisticTexan

Gotta pay Brown atleast 15 mil per over 5 yrs with 35-40 mil guaranteed. Smith's contract sets the market. Y'all comfortable with this? I am as long as the contract is front loaded in the 1st 2 yrs.
This is a must move in my mind. NE isn't going to pay this kind of money simply b/c they have a successful history of not having to. The Texans don't have that luxury...they need a LT who comes in as the starter the moment the ink dry's.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This is a must move in my mind. NE isn't going to pay this kind of money simply b/c they have a successful history of not having to. The Texans don't have that luxury...they need a LT who comes in as the starter the moment the ink dry's.
Watson's health and having a successful offense is worth it.

I'm going to do a post combine mock. Let me know what you think.

OptimisticTexan

Watson's health and having a successful offense is worth it.

I'm going to do a post combine mock. Let me know what you think.
Mine will be coming as well. Start a new post if you're going first so everyone can put their post combine mock's in one place.

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member

And barring a new contract, Trent Brown is hitting the market.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/05/patriots-not-expected-to-use-tag-making-trey-flowers-a-free-agent/

The Patriots, of course, aren’t precluded from re-signing Gostkowski, Flowers, Jason McCourty, Ryan Allen, Chris Hogan, Trent Brown, Cordarrelle Patterson or any of their other free agents. But they won’t have exclusive negotiating rights to any of them without using the franchise tag.

OptimisticTexan

I'm very curious to see what people will be saying if we get Brown and he doesn't pan out.
We'll be pissed but if he does pan out, well we'll be happy. The Texanscan only deal with the reality....Davenport is not panning out and they do not have an answer on the current roster. The smart move, invest in a FA veteran who could step in right away and be a difference maker....enter FA LT, Trent Brown from the reigning SB winners. Teams like the Texans have to take the chance when their situation is screaming for an answer.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
What I like about Brown is he can play both sides, so get Brown, draft Dillard (dream) or one of the top 4 tackles, and maybe even get Paradis. That kind of talent upgrade plus maybe Seantrel should allow for a difference maker. We focus on OT for a good reason, but an upgrade at center could be quite a help for the entire line too. Eventually we have to give time to gel, but not yet, not enough talent. I have accepted we are not changing the OL coach now, so mix proven vets with young studs and hope the vets show the way

Shishkabob

All Pro
I'm very curious to see what people will be saying if we get Brown and he doesn't pan out.
I'd be upset it didn't work out, but happy we at least attempted to remedy the situation. Kind of like our trade for DT this season. Sucks he got hurt, and won't be back since we gave up a pick for him. But I'm happy that Gaine identified an issue(not having a true #2 after Fuller went down) and went out and attempted to solve it. Not every move works in the NFL that's the nature of the business, but I rather go down swinging then just sit back and get beat.

Another plus is it might open up OB's eyes to Devlin not being that great of a coach, or it might validate people like Zerlien and Tucker who say he is a really good coach who just never had the talent to work with. Either way win win

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not obsessed with RS one bit.
No obsession here, just going by past history.

It must suck when the reality of the way this franchise was run for a decade slaps you in the face like the past extensions for Cushing and Schaub when they didn't have to be done.

Water under the bridge, there's a new day dawning down on Kirby and I cant wait for theFA/Draft to begin so the rebuild of this poorly run franchise can continue. If last yr is any indication the franchise is in good hands with Gaine.

That's just gotta bother the crap out of you and your disciples on the MB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Clearly not since you're the one who constantly brings it up.

And if last season is any indication, the most glaring problem on the team will get a bandaid.
Pointing out the differences in mgmt is what this MB should be about. Seeing a bright future should be a positive. I just pointed out the differences n the previous regimes renewing guys when they didn't have too vs what the current regime is doing. You got a problem with this?

11-5 cant wait until Gaine gets a full draft class so he wont have to use this band-aid you speak of. It's just killing you isn't it to finally see this org being run correctly.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Pointing out the differences in mgmt is what this MB should be about. Seeing a bright future should be a positive. I just pointed out the differences n the previous regimes renewing guys when they didn't have too vs what the current regime is doing. You got a problem with this?

11-5 cant wait until Gaine gets a full draft class so he wont have to use this band-aid you speak of. It's just killing you isn't it to finally see this org being run correctly.
I do have a couple question marks on OBs reticence to bring in a reknown OC and some better coaching for our oline - his choices may yet be validated, but I am somewhat concerned.

Last edited:

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member

Texansballer74

The Marine
I'd be upset it didn't work out, but happy we at least attempted to remedy the situation. Kind of like our trade for DT this season. Sucks he got hurt, and won't be back since we gave up a pick for him. But I'm happy that Gaine identified an issue(not having a true #2 after Fuller went down) and went out and attempted to solve it. Not every move works in the NFL that's the nature of the business, but I rather go down swinging then just sit back and get beat.

Another plus is it might open up OB's eyes to Devlin not being that great of a coach, or it might validate people like Zerlien and Tucker who say he is a really good coach who just never had the talent to work with. Either way win win

Very solid points. A lot of guestions across the board should be answered.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yeah signed Ed Reed, Kareem Jackson (first two seasons), Jeff Allen, Jalen Strong, some guy named Osweiler---
IMO, he played well in his first season playing LT and has lots of ceiling. I think he can get better even if limited by teams Oline coach. I also expect him to lose more weight as PATs had him interested in eating better. He took off only a week and half then was back in weight room. Go big, pun intended, or go home.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Landon Collins said he likes the Texans and our defense. He doesn't know what it will take to get here but they will see how things play out.

Thoughts
I would rather have the HB. He's much more versatile. Collins hasn't had a really good/great season in 2 yrs according to some in the NY media.

If they cant get HB, I hope they bring Earl Thomas home.

Dakota

Ticketbooth Attendant
I think the most significant conversation that probably happened this offseason was betweel Cal and Brian Gaine, probably over a River Oaks fire pit with some stogeys, where Cal looked Brian dead in the eyes and said "Let's go win one for Dad". We're spending some money next week boys, and I'm looking forward to one hell of a draft.