Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

I met Sam Spence

Da_General

Obnoxious Musician
He's a GREAT guy! Really hip for his age. He's a fantastic musician and just an all-around nice guy. You can tell that he and Mr. McNair hit it off really well, as did their wives. If you missed the news article in the Chronicle, you can read it at:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4896048.html

The older song that he reworked for the Texans is known by a couple of titles. I know it as "The Lineman". You can hear enough of a preview to recognize it at:
http://www.allofmp3.com/r2/Various_...lms_Music/group_69001/album_17/mcatalog.shtml

Click on it by it's other familar title, "Forearm Shiver".

We had a recording session of both of the new tunes on Saturday in the West Club at Reliant Stadium. I don't know which take of the songs will be the "master", but I can tell you that we recorded several of them with Mr. and Mrs. McNair AND Mr. and Mrs. Spence singing along. It was a total blast...I got to stand right next to them and (*gasp*) sing. No opera singers this time. Just a bunch of regular guys...

I know, I know...a lot of people are cringing at the thought of another official "Fight Song"...I'll admit I'm pretty skeptical too about the new tune. Whether or not the fans accept it, I know that I personally had a great time doing it, and meeting one of my favorite composers was a trip.

One other thing. I actually got to make a tailgating suggestion to Mr. McNair at one point in our conversation...I suggested allowing longer times to tailgate, even possibly opening up the gates the night before like I've heard they do in Green Bay. He didn't really respond to my suggestion, but it was kinda cool to actually be right there with THE MAN himself and get to tell him my opinion, no matter if it's crazy.

I have always loved the guys music. I am envious.

I really think we need a fight song and I think the fans are ready.

He's a GREAT guy! Really hip for his age. He's a fantastic musician and just an all-around nice guy. You can tell that he and Mr. McNair hit it off really well, as did their wives. If you missed the news article in the Chronicle, you can read it at:

The older song that he reworked for the Texans is known by a couple of titles. I know it as "The Lineman". You can hear enough of a preview to recognize it at:
http://www.allofmp3.com/r2/Various_...lms_Music/group_69001/album_17/mcatalog.shtml

We had a recording session of both of the new tunes on Saturday in the West Club at Reliant Stadium. I don't know which take of the songs will be the "master", but I can tell you that we recorded several of them with Mr. and Mrs. McNair AND Mr. and Mrs. Spence singing along. It was a total blast...I got to stand right next to them and (*gasp*) sing. No opera singers this time. Just a bunch of regular guys...

I know, I know...a lot of people are cringing at the thought of another official "Fight Song"...I'll admit I'm pretty skeptical too about the new tune. Whether or not the fans accept it, I know that I personally had a great time doing it, and meeting one of my favorite composers was a trip.

One other thing. I actually got to make a tailgating suggestion to Mr. McNair at one point in our conversation...I suggested allowing longer times to tailgate, even possibly opening up the gates the night before like I've heard they do in Green Bay. He didn't really respond to my suggestion, but it was kinda cool to actually be right there with THE MAN himself and get to tell him my opinion, no matter if it's crazy.

Being a fellow musician I can relate, way too cool no doubt. I will look forward to hearing the new tunes in action, now lets get this season going!

So, what's the difference between a "fight" song that he's cooking up and a "theme" song that the article said was "football time in Houston"

One where you're getting whupped, the other when you're whuppin'?

Does this mean Clay Walker's song is done with? Did they even use that song last season?? I can't remember.

Well if the "Lineman" is someone on the Dline we should have a "first round" fight song. If it is the OLine, we will keep singing until something better comes along. I would have went with "I am a LINEMAN for the county" by Glenn Campbell, myself. Since Mcnair knows this guy it was probably cheaper than Campbell who I understand is a restricted free agent with public TV.

According to Sunday's Chronicle...the Clay Walker song is here to stay. The new anthems are not replacing what we have.

This is correct. Mr. McNair said (and I quote) "We already have a THEME song, which I love. But I've been wanting us to have a FIGHT song as well."

Back