Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How soon could Glenn Earl play???

BuffSoldier

Veteran
When I heard how good Glenn Earl was before his ACL injury and the impact he could have on the team, I have to admit I got excited. :eek: I was thinking about the Willis McGahee injury last year and my mind frame was that if Earl played at all, it would be late in the seaon, if that. But then I began to realize, McGahee got hurt in the NCAA Championship game, the last game of the season, and if Im not mistaken, the Bills were thinking about giving him a few touches in one game last year.

Glenn Earl got hurt relatively early in the season, even earlyier in the NFL season, since their games start a week or 2 after colleges. Is there a chance that Earl could get the starting SS spot before the end of the year, and will he be healthy enough to play come the regular season?

dagr8whitehope

Practice Squad
i don't see earl being a starting safety before the end of the season, as far as i remember, brown's contract is up soon, so possibly in two years, but for now, coleman and brown are the safeties and there are no complaints from me. we could be lucky enough to see earl in nickel and dime situations and on special teams this year, but as far as starting, i'd give it about 2 years.

D-ReK

RAWWWRR!
i doubt earl starts before the end of the season unless there is an injury to brown...even then, he would have to compete with ramon walker, who may get the nod based on game experience...

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
dagr8whitehope said:
...as far as i remember, brown's contract is up soon...
Brown is signed through '07, but the last 2 years of his contract carry salaries totaling $ 6 mil.

LiveForTheGame

Waterboy
It's not just whether or not he'll physically be healed and capable to play. It'll take every rooky a while to learn the defense and get adjusted to the speed of the game and better talent. Only the great college players, with a few exceptions, end up winning a valid starting position their first year.

Fiddy

All Pro
I would like to see him sit this year to make sure the knee is full strength and so he can learn the defense for next year.

What if Brown excels with our improved defense? He could be a hard hitting ss. Matbe he was tentaive and wanted to get the suire tackle when a guyr like Stevens was backing him up.

Texansbacker

Waterboy
I think we will see Eric Brown rise to the top from the competition this year. Remember that Brown was a second round draft pick himself (Albeit the Broncos) and started as a rookie in 1998. He has played as a starter ever since, also at free safety, and is also from Texas.

Brown has always been a big hitter and excelled in big games. I surmise that it may be the lack of big games and no real competition at the SS or FS position last year that has subdued Eric Brown.

This is Brown's year to show what he can do and I can think of a few other members of the Texans Defense looking to prove something. I hope it translates to a dominating D on the field and W's in the outcome column.