Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How Much Blame Should George Godsey, And Bill O'Brian Get For Texans Offensive Troubles?

Many people do not realize this, but Bill O'Brian was not just our head coach last year. He was the Houston Texans Offensive Coordinator. The Texans went out, and hired George Godsey to help run the offense. Bill O'Brian does have the final say in the play selection.

Should we get the pink soap?

Godsey was with us last year. However, he wasn't the play caller. I thought to myself several times, "why are we running the same plays that aren't working"? I'm not sure O'Brian wants to take that back on. Then again, with all the other things that happened today I'm amazed we got 17 on the board.

I know I've heard that Godsey is calling the plays this year (or at least I think I've heard that. Confirmation?) and really, it seems like we're playing a little tighter than we did last year. Maybe my recollection of the last few weeks of the season is getting in my way but I just think this season we're calling a lot of screens and **** behind the LOS and it's getting sniffed out quickly. I normally don't go in for the "It's the playcalling" thing but I can see where there might be some questions. Going for it on 4th and 5 like they did so early and that close to the middle of the field was odd too.

Weird decisions being made from week to week. I thought that whatever OB learned last year would be added to the accumulated knowledge. I didn't realize he was going to have to learn to make HC decisions over and over again ever single season.

That could be a bit of a liability in the long run.

O'Brien inherited a roster capable of going 12-4 with 'good Schaub' at quarterback. All he needed was a competent quarterback and respectable draft depth. Since his signing we're down to 1 wide receiver, no tightends, our offensive line is falling apart, he can't get anything out of backup runningbacks and our talent level in general on offense has fallen off a cliff. Godsey is in his 5th season coaching at the pro level, being promoted way past his experience and ability in that time. O'Brien did real well by bringing in a strong veteran coaching staff on defense. As I said from 'go', he and the entire offensive coaching staff lack necessary experience to do their jobs and it's showing.

It is to tell if this is a talent or play calling issue. It seems like a QB issue and not having Foster does not help either. It might be a long season.

This is a great point. We have weak receivers and on o-line. I still feel mallett is the answer, but orbrien needs to go back to play calling

Coaching staff 50%, bad drafts 50%.

McNair has no idea how to hire a GM or HC. It pains me to say it, but I think
we have struck out 3 times in a row with coaches: Dom, Gary, BoB.

SSDD

Texans played with expansion level talent on offense today. O'Brien and Godsey looked a lot better when they coached Brady and Gronkowski.
This is true. We need an oline to protect our qb vs a hall of famer elevating everyone no matter who it is

Many people do not realize this, but Bill O'Brian was not just our head coach last year. He was the Houston Texans Offensive Coordinator. The Texans went out, and hired George Godsey to help run the offense. Bill O'Brian does have the final say in the play selection.

Play calling is embarrassing....high school coach could be more creative....of course it may not even matter at this point....NO running game....No receivers that can run a good route or catch the damn ball....No offensive line / can't run block OR pass block.....your play calling is only as good as the talent on the field....and it doesn't look like there's much talent at all......But everyone knew the offense was going to need some help this year....The REAL. PROBLEM I saw today was the Defense!!! They looked horrible!! What happened to the great ( supposedly) Texan defense?? They look AVERAGE At Best.....That's 2 games in row the defense got pushed up & down the field like they were all rookies w/NFL experience....What's up w/that?

On the last td when Joseph got whipped, it was a max protect, 2 man route. The Texans te's sux, why not do the same and give ur qb a chance to push the ball down the field? Why the picket wasn't moved?

Coaching staff 50%, bad drafts 50%.

McNair has no idea how to hire a GM or HC. It pains me to say it, but I think
we have struck out 3 times in a row with coaches: Dom, Gary, BoB.

SSDD

McNair doesn't really seem to care / Bill Obrien is not exactly a seasoned NFL head coach / he should be gone by next year but based on McNairs track record of firing coaches he'll be here another 5 or 6 years ....Not impressed w/Godsey either (yawn yawn)

With hopkins the only playmaker and no real TEs, plus pedestrian runningbacks, Patchwork offensive line and a qb that throws high.hard and behind receivers makes a very long day for the defense

Godsey is awful and is the one to blame for our 0-2 start. His play calling is atrocious. Here's a stat that jumps right out you, 105 pass attempts to 44 rushing attempts through 2 games. We are only running the ball 29.5% of the time. The stat line tells you we are averaging 3.6 yards per play. I will take that all day long. 3.6 yards on first down makes that 2nd and 6 1/2, 3rd and 3. Why is Mallett throwing the football 60 times in a game that was close? At worse you are playing a game of field position. Keep the clock moving and give your defense a rest.

George Godsey's play calling is ranking up there with Joe Pendry and Chris Palmer.

Godsey is awful and is the one to blame for our 0-2 start. His play calling is atrocious. Here's a stat that jumps right out you, 105 pass attempts to 44 rushing attempts through 2 games. We are only running the ball 29.5% of the time. The stat line tells you we are averaging 3.6 yards per play. I will take that all day long. 3.6 yards on first down makes that 2nd and 6 1/2, 3rd and 3. Why is Mallett throwing the football 60 times in a game that was close? At worse you are playing a game of field position. Keep the clock moving and give your defense a rest.

George Godsey's play calling is ranking up there with Joe Pendry and Chris Palmer.
When the Oline is in shambles, your not gonna run the ball as much as you'd like

I don't understand why we invested highly on D in the draft when:

2014 defense was great
We signed quality defensive FA in Wilfork & Moore(decent) AND we had Clowney returning

our 2014 offense was PISS POOR, and we neglected to balance it out with investing in good players in the draft. We sure as **** didn't do **** to help it in free agency.

Don't understand this logic at all from O'Brien. He was an OC in NE, he knows what a good offense looks like. To not even get close to being competent, or making to moves to get there is mind-boggling as ****.

He was an OC in NE, he knows what a good offense looks like. To not even get close to being competent, or making to moves to get there is mind-boggling as ****.

He might have been the OC in NE .... But that's the Hoodie's team and scheme .... throw in a first ballot half of famer at QB and .... OB coulda watched cartoons on the sidelines and they'd still win.

The offensive line was going to struggle this year a bit even without the injuries. Moving from a mostly zone to a power scheme with a new center and left guard meant that there was going to be a period of adjustment. The injuries to the line and to Foster have compounded the situation. Playcalling is an issue, but not more than offensive line woes. The bigger concern is the defense. They've poured in a lot of resources *and* have the best defensive player on earth and they are still pretty mediocre.

Kinda feel like BoB has a bit of "smartest guy in the room" syndrome. BoB seems to think that he can do more with less on the offensive side, and it has led us to a huge talent deficiency. Let's see, OL talent is poor, and the depth is horrendous. Did he make any effort to get Meyers back when he was available? Evan Mathis was out there for a while. That's two proven NFL lineman, and we ended up just getting a tackle that Denver was probably going to cut anyway. Andre Johnson? BoB doesn't need him; offer him 40 balls and let him walk. Nate Washington has 19 targets in two games, why would Andre only catch 40 as the #2? Oh and the TEs. Our TE play was atrocious last season and what did BoB do to improve it? Nothing! He brought back the same exact group, and expects some kind of major improvement. Well, it's not working. To top it all off, it looks like we may have been better off this year by keeping Fitz as our starter. Yes, Ryan Fitzpatrick was our starting QB and we somehow downgraded from that. Can't really complain about poor players without looking at the guy who picked them.

What I don't understand is letting Myers walk in the first place.

He still played 1,100 snaps last year, second by just a hair on the OL.

Even though they can move Jones in, they have nothing at LG to begin with.

Kinda feel like BoB has a bit of "smartest guy in the room" syndrome. BoB seems to think that he can do more with less on the offensive side, and it has led us to a huge talent deficiency. Let's see, OL talent is poor, and the depth is horrendous. Did he make any effort to get Meyers back when he was available? Evan Mathis was out there for a while. That's two proven NFL lineman, and we ended up just getting a tackle that Denver was probably going to cut anyway. Andre Johnson? BoB doesn't need him; offer him 40 balls and let him walk. Nate Washington has 19 targets in two games, why would Andre only catch 40 as the #2? Oh and the TEs. Our TE play was atrocious last season and what did BoB do to improve it? Nothing! He brought back the same exact group, and expects some kind of major improvement. Well, it's not working. To top it all off, it looks like we may have been better off this year by keeping Fitz as our starter. Yes, Ryan Fitzpatrick was our starting QB and we somehow downgraded from that. Can't really complain about poor players without looking at the guy who picked them.

Don't forget letting go of Wade Smith at LG a year removed from a probowl appearance. Letting probowler Owen Daniels go, and watching him have more catches and touchdowns than our entire TE core last year. Losing depth and special teams in Braman and recent favorite James. Bumping Daniel Manning out after being one of the highest rated safeties and signing a higher dollar replacement instead of focusing on need areas. Playing quarterback roulette instead of using what he already had until acquiring 'his guy'. Almost zero development of drafted players.

I get it, you can't pay everybody. I get it, you can't hold onto older players too long. You also can't take an ax to the roster without a suitable plan in place and the ability to train the younger players. This wasn't Kubiak inheriting a talentless squad that literally had to drop everyone but Andre. O'Brien came into a great situation, with a very talented roster that was capable of winning - and he doesn't have the experience yet to see 2 steps ahead. Talking about roster, this falls more on Rick than O'Brien, but between the two there is enough blame to be had for our current state. O'Brien is going through growing pains - will he mature as a good coach? Maybe ... but he wasn't ready for the job, and got insanely lucky to have so many defensive coaching pieces fall into place.

Edit: To quote a newer member with a great avatar: 'I reserve the right to apologize for drinking and posting at any given time but.... I like this one'

Last edited:
yeah even lookin at last year losses we struggled to score at least 24 points while I remember in some games in the kubes& schaub era we would score 31 points easy

sometimes I wish we had kept schaub at least last year and still run the kubes style O but its been almost 3 years that shipped has sailed

now we are just void of talent due to bad drafts ths is all RICK smiths Fault

NO RBS that showed they could get it done

Our Oline is in shambles OUR TE's are not that good and there in shambles now this CJ is down

and we cut all our Young WR's and went with Shorts and Nate so there is no future there not saying that we have some young WR strong and Murp and worthy but we used to have a lot more then that

so intill we get some fresh blood and new talent in here we will struggle scoring points

yeah even lookin at last year losses we struggled to score at least 24 points while I remember in some games in the kubes& schaub era we would score 31 points easy

sometimes I wish we had kept schaub at least last year and still run the kubes style O but its been almost 3 years that shipped has sailed

now we are just void of talent due to bad drafts ths is all RICK smiths Fault

NO RBS that showed they could get it done

Our Oline is in shambles OUR TE's are not that good and there in shambles now this CJ is down

and we cut all our Young WR's and went with Shorts and Nate so there is no future there not saying that we have some young WR strong and Murp and worthy but we used to have a lot more then that

so intill we get some fresh blood and new talent in here we will struggle scoring points

with all that being said I still think we need to get rid of all the older Kubes era players that cant get it done and hopefully replace them in the Draft / F/A next year

BROWN
Newton
Foster
Garett
Griffin

all need to go and hopefully we can replace them with upgrades next year

Well said.... Live by the pass, die by the pass.....running the ball isn't an option....it's a must in NFL.....takes some pressure off your QB ( we sure could of used that yesterday)....Godsey called so many pass plays yesterday it was as if we didn't have a single running back on roster.....I'll take an average of 3 or 4 yards per carry too....3rd & 3 sounds better than 3rd & 10......That's to much pressure on QB especially with the dead hand recievers

with all that being said I still think we need to get rid of all the older Kubes era players that cant get it done and hopefully replace them in the Draft / F/A next year

BROWN
Newton
Foster
Garett
Griffin

all need to go and hopefully we can replace them with upgrades next year

Newton and Brown gone ? They are the strongest pieces to our O-Line IMO. The center of the line is more of a liability IMO. And if Foster comes back and gets hurt again before the seasons done, you can bet he will be gone next season.

Don't understand this logic at all from O'Brien. He was an OC in NE, he knows what a good offense looks like. To not even get close to being competent, or making to moves to get there is mind-boggling as ****.

Uh... that might be part of the problem. New England has what a 1st rounder on their offensive line & Gronk? Other than that, not a whole lot invested, other than the millions of dollars put into a 6th round QB.

If we drafted receivers like the receivers playing for New England... slow, short, not particularly athletic, people would go crazy around here.... wait a minute

:thinking:

So, how is this a playcalling issue? I'd like to hear some specific examples of how the playcalling contributed to this loss.

Or, is that just some sort of convenient catch-all when they lose?

So, how is this a playcalling issue? I'd like to hear some specific examples of how the playcalling contributed to this loss.

Or, is that just some sort of convenient catch-all when they lose?

I don't know about the play calling, but I'm not seeing the plays I was expecting to see. Complimentary routes with natural rubs or plays to pull defenders out of the middle to clear passing lanes..... The routes we're running, we're going to need exceptional athletes to generate the mismatches needed for our guys to win..... either size wise, or speed (which we don't have).

I don't know about the play calling, but I'm not seeing the plays I was expecting to see. Complimentary routes with natural rubs or plays to pull defenders out of the middle to clear passing lanes..... The routes we're running, we're going to need exceptional athletes to generate the mismatches needed for our guys to win..... either size wise, or speed (which we don't have).

if you don't have a running game, you're not going to have clear passing lanes, no matter what routes are called. There's no easy fix to this. It's a one dimensional offense. (with Mallet throwing the ball)

The old adage.. it all starts upfront. And they are getting their heads handed to them upfront.

if you don't have a running game, you're not going to have clear passing lanes, no matter what routes are called. There's no easy fix to this. It's a one dimensional offense. (with Mallet throwing the ball)

The old adage.. it all starts upfront. And they are getting their heads handed to them upfront.

It's not one dimensional , its no dimensional .... they cant run , they cant pass , they cant even take advantage of these defenses being so aggressive by executing a simple screen pass.

They cant cover punts and every time they kick off I have this ominous feeling the opposition is gonna take it the distance ....

Don't really know where else to put this so I'll drop it here...

Yards Per Target
Hopkins - 6.3 ypt (24 targets)
Shorts - 4.6 ypt (20 targets)
Washington - 8.8 ypt (19 targets)
Grimes - 4.7 ypt (9 targets)
Polk - 2.0 ypt (9 targets)
Graham - 1.2 ypt (7 targets)
Mumphery - 4.6 ypt (5 targets)
Griffin - 4.5 ypt (4 targets)
Blue - 3.7 ypt (3 targets)
Fiedorowicz - 17.0 ypt (2 targets)
Worthy - 7.5 ypt (2 targets)

That's pretty brutal. For reference, the Titans and Bucs are both starting rookie QB's and they are averaging 8.8 and 7.7 yards per attempt while we are averaging 5.5. That's pathetic.

Newton and Brown gone ? They are the strongest pieces to our O-Line IMO. The center of the line is more of a liability IMO. And if Foster comes back and gets hurt again before the seasons done, you can bet he will be gone next season.

im just saying how it might go it happened with the capers era players sooner or later kubes got rid of them all BRown is ok but its not like hes the all WALL shut down LT and not if but WHEN foster gets injured again in 2016 hes good for a injury every year

what scares me the most is that it looks like BoB is getting rid of Gary's players just for the sake of doing it.
And the guys he's bringing in are not the same caliber.
Do you think Dre would have had all those drops?

We had a better O-line last year, but let people walk.

what's worse -- it's clear Foster is gone after this year. He's too expensive and cannot stay on the
field. Do any of you trust BoB/Rick to bring in/draft/sign a suitable replacement?

I don't. I think Grimes is better than Blue but that's not how BoB's depth chart looks.

Are we going to overpay a cast-off Pats RB, just because he knows the system?

I'm starting to lean towards BoB being the next failed coach from the Belichick tree.

Makes me wonder where Belichick would be today if he hadn't stumbled into Brady.

what scares me the most is that it looks like BoB is getting rid of Gary's players just for the sake of doing it.
And the guys he's bringing in are not the same caliber.
Do you think Dre would have had all those drops?

We had a better O-line last year, but let people walk.

what's worse -- it's clear Foster is gone after this year. He's too expensive and cannot stay on the
field. Do any of you trust BoB/Rick to bring in/draft/sign a suitable replacement?

I don't. I think Grimes is better than Blue but that's not how BoB's depth chart looks.

Are we going to overpay a cast-off Pats RB, just because he knows the system?

I'm starting to lean towards BoB being the next failed coach from the Belichick tree.

Makes me wonder where Belichick would be today if he hadn't stumbled into Brady.

Other than Dre was 4 of 10 for 24 yards last week I'm inclined to agree with you.

Back