Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it is what I repeatedly tell you.
Do yourself a favour and save us both some time and read the post I originally replied to.
You often jump in halfway through a convo I am having with someone else and confuse yourself.

I have read all, which led me to make a comment that you replied to. Your reply led to my question that you keep avoiding. If your memory is faulty, I am asking for you to name 1 offensive minded HC that would hire an OC that didn't believe in his system. I guess logic is too difficult for you

Interesting.

How many times did Wilson let a 28-24 lead blow up to a 51-31 lead?

I like stats. We can definitely see Watson has comparable talent. But even when he's got little to no help, Russell Wilson finds a way to compete.

Granted, we're not winning a Super Bowl with BO'b. But Watson, Nuk, Fuller... we should have been able to score more on KC defense in the 2nd half.

Hell, all game. The offense had two good drives all game.

Where was Watson's clutch gene in all that?
I don't remember seeing Watson play defense in that game. That was a pathetic performance by the defense, as a whole.
I also recall several key drops in that game. Fells had the most that I can think of, off the top of my heard.

Wilson never had Hopkins, I think people underestimate how good he can make a QB look. Even Fuller has had his moments.

This year, the Eagles had injuries to their top WRs. As a result, they did not have one WR with over 500 yards receiving. Yet, their QB threw for over 4000 yards, their offense was just as good as the Texans, they went 9-7 and made the playoffs.

How did the Eagles throw for 4000 yards without a RB or WR getting 1000 yards? Pederson changed his scheme to get the TEs and RBs more involved in the passing game. We should not underestimate how good Hopkins can make a QB look. However, we cannot underestimate how bad an inflexible scheme can make a QB look.

I have read all, which led me to make a comment that you replied to. Your reply led to my question that you keep avoiding. If your memory is faulty, I am asking for you to name 1 offensive minded HC that would hire an OC that didn't believe in his system. I guess logic is too difficult for you
Hilarious coming from you.

I can't believe people still are using " when was the last time Wilson let a 24-28 blow up. Wow I mean of course his defenses didn’t allow 7 straight TOUCHDOWN drives. Seattle's defenses has always been top notch.

Bottom line it's a team sport, one player cant do it all by himself.

Last edited:
I don't remember seeing Watson play defense in that game. That was a pathetic performance by the defense, as a whole.
I also recall several key drops in that game. Fells had the most that I can think of, off the top of my heard.

When the score was 35-24, did Watson have an opportunity to make it 35-31?

When the score was 42-24, did Watson have an opportunity to make it 42-31?

Heck, when the score was 21-0 in our favor did Watson have an opportunity to make it 28-0? At 21-14 our favor did he have an opportunity to make it 28-14?

The defense gave up a bunch of points. For most of the game the offense didn't put points on the board.

The defense rightly gets its blame. But there is more to go around.

Now, I'm not one of those saying Watson will never win a Super Bowl. Or that he'll never get better. My only aim is to say he needs to improve & there were plenty examples in that game where he could have played better.

OB is considered a QB guru because he was Tom Brady's OC, so this guy coaching Wilson doesn't mean as much in my opinion. As someone else has stated on here, Wilson might have already been ready for the NFL.
I wouldn't at all be surprised if the major differences between Watson and Wilson are the respective systems and coaches. Carl Smith may be a fantastic QB coach, but he's coaching a QB in a crummy system so there is only so much he can do.
I wonder if the Texans use a VR app like this to help players who need to be able to visually interpret what they're seeing.
Honest question. Who outside the media or this forum has ever labelled O'Brien a "QB guru"?

For all of his good traits, Watson has very significant deficiencies which hold him back, deficiencies that are independent of scheme. There is no way that Carl Smith has not been trying to correct them.

This year, the Eagles had injuries to their top WRs. As a result, they did not have one WR with over 500 yards receiving. Yet, their QB threw for over 4000 yards, their offense was just as good as the Texans, they went 9-7 and made the playoffs.

How did the Eagles throw for 4000 yards without a RB or WR getting 1000 yards? Pederson changed his scheme to get the TEs and RBs more involved in the passing game. We should not underestimate how good Hopkins can make a QB look. However, we cannot underestimate how bad an inflexible scheme can make a QB look.

Did you really just use the Eagles to make your point? The team that was literally the best of the worst? Also you said their offense was as good? Is this a joke?

The only reason they made the playoffs is because they played in a division that Clemson or LSU could have won. Seriously it was so bad two of the four teams are picking in the top 5 and three out of 4 HCs were fired. And even the Eagles threw two assistant coaches under the bus.

There is absolutely no comparison between the Texans and the Eagles.

Honest question. Who outside the media or this forum has ever labelled O'Brien a "QB guru"?

For all of his good traits, Watson has very significant deficiencies which hold him back, deficiencies that are independent of scheme. There is no way that Carl Smith has not been trying to correct them.
And even the staunchest supporters, including myself and texanballer have criticized Watson for those deficiencies at one point or another throughout the season. But really, all any of us are doing is asking the question, if one person has to go, who should it be: Watson or O’Brien? My answer is O’Brien, for one simple reason- he’s worked with several other QB’s in Houston and has been unsuccessful, relative to the other teams in the AFC south, with all of them. And I’m talking about in the playoffs. Two of the loses in the playoffs came against the same team and in each of them there were very questionable decisions by BoB, the HC.

I can't believe people still are using " when was the last time Wilson let a 24-28 blow up. Wow I mean of course his defenses did allow 7 straight TOUCHDOWN drives. Seattle's defenses has always been top notch.

Interesting.

How many times did Wilson let a 28-24 lead blow up to a 51-31 lead?

I like stats. We can definitely see Watson has comparable talent. But even when he's got little to no help, Russell Wilson finds a way to compete.

Granted, we're not winning a Super Bowl with BO'b. But Watson, Nuk, Fuller... we should have been able to score more on KC defense in the 2nd half.

Hell, all game. The offense had two good drives all game.

Where was Watson's clutch gene in all that?
Wilson never had Hopkins, I think people underestimate how good he can make a QB look. Even Fuller has had his moments.

I think people are really underestimating how good Seattle's running game had been in the past up until about 2 years ago. Also another person mentioned how the Eagles schemed well to make their offense thrive regardless of who is in the game. That's a testimony of their coaching staff. I just haven't seen the Texan's offense consistently perform well under O'Brien. He is the only consistent piece and it's not a good or very bad thing, but at this point is not the right thing for this team.

When the score was 35-24, did Watson have an opportunity to make it 35-31?

When the score was 42-24, did Watson have an opportunity to make it 42-31?

Heck, when the score was 21-0 in our favor did Watson have an opportunity to make it 28-0? At 21-14 our favor did he have an opportunity to make it 28-14?

The defense gave up a bunch of points. For most of the game the offense didn't put points on the board.

The defense rightly gets its blame. But there is more to go around.

Now, I'm not one of those saying Watson will never win a Super Bowl. Or that he'll never get better. My only aim is to say he needs to improve & there were plenty examples in that game where he could have played better.
31 points scored should be enough. Watson wasn’t great but he wasn’t terrible either. Lots of quarterbacks have been successful in the playoffs with similar level of play as Watson.

I have no problem assigning some blame to Watson for the 51-7 finish. How much do you think is appropriate?

BO stinks. Bill Obrine's playcalling is a fireable offense. He is a complete idiot during games and should have been fired after the game and forced to find his own way back to Houston. You people giving the dictator a pass, please explain to me how preferring a chickenpoop FG instead of going for the 4th and 1 from the 17 to take a shot at going up 28-0 and then his brainfahrt fake punt from our 31 when up 24-7 not be cause for his immediate dismissal. When that game starts today with Tennessee playing KC to get to the Super Bowl, it is going to burn a lot of Houston fans' butts besides mine. And furthermore, what the heck is McClain giving that tyrant a C for a coaching grade for the year in the Chronicle today? Answer, because BO cuts the reporters off if they don't kiss his butt. Obrine should have been canned years ago.

You people giving the dictator a pass...

I should delete your post for this alone. But in the Spirit of Charity I'll let it stand & offer you the opportunity to present evidence there is someone here advocating for the continued reign of Bill O'Brien.

Reactions: JB
LOL. I think I remember somebody saying they didn't want him fired. Might have been a relative of his, I can't remember. Good catch.

I can't believe people still are using " when was the last time Wilson let a 24-28 blow up. Wow I mean of course his defenses didn’t allow 7 straight TOUCHDOWN drives. Seattle's defenses has always been top notch.

After the Bills' game, there were debates about was it Watt's sack or Watson's TD run that sparked the team. This week after the defense allows 7 straight TDs, it's why did Watson allow a 51-7 run. So much for a team sport or complementary football.

Watching Kelce destroy the Texans, not one media person has asked O'Brien why did they play Gipson in the final game of the season. The Texans signed Gipson because of his ability to cover TEs. All year, the guy has nursed a painful injury. He battles through to the end of the season and be available for the playoffs, you know you are going to have to go through the Titans, Raven and KC with their good to great TEs and you play him in a meaningless game.

Why isn't anyone asking why did Gipson play in the final game or is Watson also suppose to be making decisions about the game day roster?

Here is another indictment of O'Brien and his coaching staff. Once the Chiefs realized they were playing man to man without even disguising the coverage, their adjustment was to have Kelce one on one with whoever was covering him. Kelce wasn't even running routes, just basically beating his man and being available to Mahomes.

At what point do you decide to mix your coverages to keep Mahomes off balance?

Sure.
Any coach who cannot adjust to his players abilities and tries to force a square peg into a round hole is not a smart coach.
He has to put his players in the best situation to succeed.

Agreed but that was not the question

I am asking for you to name 1 offensive minded HC that would hire an OC that didn't believe in his system.
Can you answer this one please?

If only OB would hire an OC who runs OBs system and then let them actually run it. I would at least throw enough money at Charlie Weiss to bring him in as a consultant to audit the offensive scheme or as an assistant head coach/offense.

After the Bills' game, there were debates about was it Watt's sack or Watson's TD run that sparked the team. This week after the defense allows 7 straight TDs, it's why did Watson allow a 51-7 run. So much for a team sport or complementary football.

Watching Kelce destroy the Texans, not one media person has asked O'Brien why did they play Gipson in the final game of the season. The Texans signed Gipson because of his ability to cover TEs. All year, the guy has nursed a painful injury. He battles through to the end of the season and be available for the playoffs, you know you are going to have to go through the Titans, Raven and KC with their good to great TEs and you play him in a meaningless game.

Why isn't anyone asking why did Gipson play in the final game or is Watson also suppose to be making decisions about the game day roster?
I'm having a difficult time following the reasoning. Gipson had not been on the Injury Report since week 13 and none of his injuries were exacerbated before ore during the playoffs. Some of his previous injuries were chronic by definition. Injury/playing in week 17 was not a significant factor for why coverage of the TE failed.

I'm having a difficult time following the reasoning. Gipson had not been on the Injury Report since week 13 and none of his injuries were exacerbated before ore during the playoffs. Some of his previous injuries were chronic by definition. Injury/playing in week 17 was not a significant factor for why coverage of the TE failed.

Gipson's injury was exacerbated in week 17. My reasoning is the shortsightedness of the coaching staff and/or medical team. Gipson was signed for his ability to cover TEs. Medically, I'm by no means as qualified as you. If a player suffered a traverse process fracture that could be aggravated at any time, why play him so many snaps in a meaningless game? What was the risk vs reward playing with that type of injury in week 17?

Here is Gipson on the discomfort and pain: https://www.chron.com/sports/texans...un-Gipson-back-injury-recovering-14867790.php
"It's terrible,"said Gipson, who signed a three-year, $22.5 million contract with the Texans in March. "You still play with those things, but those things don't truly heal until you get rest. It's a struggle, obviously.

Last edited:
S
Seriously. We've seen Tannehill without a run game.

Watch Tannehill if the Chiefs get two scores up on them. I doubt Tennessee will let that happen, Vrabel has a good enough defense to stop it, we don't.

But if they stop King Henry, that defense may not be able to hang.

So now, if Tannehill looks like an all pro with Tennessee's run game, & like a dud without it, how would Watson (who looks like an all pro without Tennessee's run game) look with that run game?

My reasoning is the shortsightedness of the coaching staff and/or medical team. Gipson was signed for his ability to cover TEs. Medically, I'm by no means as qualified as you. If a player suffered a traverse process fracture that could be aggravated at any time, why play him so many snaps in a meaningless game? What was the risk vs reward playing with that type of injury?

Here is Gipson on the discomfort and pain: https://www.chron.com/sports/texans...un-Gipson-back-injury-recovering-14867790.php

He suffered the injury Oct 20...........and played 3 weeks latter..........the typical recovery period. The pain is caused by the soft tissue inflammation around the fracture and the severe muscle spasms it creates. This type of injury does not cause a worsening of the injury if play continues on it, even after day 1.........it's the pain alone that determines when the play can return............Romo (as others) have had such multiple level fractures and have missed only 1 or 2 games. No one waits for the 6-8 weeks for what that injury takes to "officially" fully heal. By week 17, the bone would have undoubtedly been expected to be fully healed (although it should have been a non-issue long before then). The Texans chronology/facts evidently put forth by the medical staff do not fit the picture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back