Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any Qb fit with Ob? I give Ob the benefit of the doubt since the Qb's Ob had to work with have not gone on to much success on other teams with other coaches. Still I doubt Ob would succeed with a proven top 10 Qb let alone with a promising young Qb like DW.
I think the percent of qbs that can do what OB wants is small

I think the percent of HC/OCs that can work with DW4 is quite large

How many quarterbacks been in O’Briens system?
A butt load lol

If I'm watson I dont resign here. I take my talents elsewhere. I find a HC or OC that will play to my strengths

I think OB will be a better coach at his next job.

I'm ready for this situation to end. We gotta wait at least another year.

McClain said something that made sick. I'm paraphrasing.......

OB wont get fired unless they have a bad season. And watson to talented to have a bad season

This sucks

Very seldom do we see a sustained drive. Its big plays or bust.

Texans drives of 10 plays or more this year.

New Orleans - 16 plays, 80 yards, TD
Jags - 15 plays, 66 yds., FG
11 plays, 76 yds., FG
Car - 10 plays, 76 yds., FG
Atl - 11 plays, 75 yds., TD
10 plays, 65 yds. FG
KC - 12 plays, 49 yds., FG
10 plays, 75 yds., TD
12 plays, 80 yds., TD
10 plays, 42 yds. Missed FG
11 plays, 65 yds., INT
12 plays, 103 yds. TD
9 plays, 42 yds. GAME OVER
(Best game of year, IMO, offensively)
OAK 11 plays, 54 yds. FG
15 plays, 82 yds., TD
JAC 13 plays, 77 yds., FG
14 plays, 80 yds., TD
BAL 11 plays, 45 tds., Missed FG
IND 10 plays, 42 yds., FG
NE 13 plays, 88 yds., TD
DEN 12 plays, 66 yds., TD
14 plays, 76 yds., TD
(Garbage time TD's against soft prevent Defense)
TEN 10 plays, 54 yds., INT
12 plays, 85 yds., FG
TB 14 plays, 73 yds., FG
10 plays, 64 yds., FG
TEN 15 plays, 75 yds., TD (first opening drive TD in forever, McCarron)
16 plays, 80 yds., TD (McCarron)

27 drives of 10 plays or more. 12 TD's, 11 FG's, 2 missed FG's, 2 INT's.

we traded a 3rd round pick for Duke Johnson for him to be the backup, and not be part of the game plan for the biggest game of the year???
127 touches for the season. 83 rushes (4.9 YPA), 44 rec. (9.3 YPR), 44 receptions is 2.75 per game. Hardly enough to say that OB utilized him for what he was traded for. 5 rec for 23 yards in the KC game.
I wish enough Texans fans cared about this franchise enough to turn their collective backs on it and raise hell with the front office until O'Brien is gone
I'm not renewing my season tickets this coming year. I hate not doing it but man....I'll still go to a game or 3 during the year because I like hanging out with my tailgate friends.
ST's even gave up a long KR.
Although ST's did a good job this year and that game, I would ask "Why are we kicking to one of the best and fastest KR's in the league?" That was not good. Could Farbairn NOT get it to the endzone? Bad planning if you ask me.
Clint has said numerous times that OB doesn’t do enough pre snap to help the QB.
How many times can you remember Hopkins going in motion and starting his route from said motion? Maybe that's not what he is supposed to do I don't know. But what OB has him doing now doesn't get him WIDE open very often.
I think under Shanny DW4 would be better but still not a championship level QB.
Jimmy G is under Shanny and is one game from the SB. IMO he's not better than Watson. Shanny's offense is ridiculously good. Jimmy G has a top 3 TE and a bunch of JAG's at WR and Shanny creating the offense.
Watson has JAG's at TE, 1 great WR, 1 very, very good WR (when he can play), and OB creating the offense.
I think, if the QB's switched coaches, Watson would be killing it while Jimmy G would be getting killed. Would Watson still have his "oh crap" moments, sure. But he just very well may be one game from the SB if that was the case.

If McClain's track record is any indication I feel like there will be a lot of happy Texans fans pretty soon.
You calling a dismissal of the HC by ownership of the Texans ? That would please me but I'd be very surprised
if he's not still here in the 2020 season.

127 touches for the season. 83 rushes (4.9 YPA), 44 rec. (9.3 YPR), 44 receptions is 2.75 per game. Hardly enough to say that OB utilized him for what he was traded for. 5 rec for 23 yards in the KC game.

I'm not renewing my season tickets this coming year. I hate not doing it but man....I'll still go to a game or 3 during the year because I like hanging out with my tailgate friends.

Although ST's did a good job this year and that game, I would ask "Why are we kicking to one of the best and fastest KR's in the league?" That was not good. Could Farbairn NOT get it to the endzone? Bad planning if you ask me.

How many times can you remember Hopkins going in motion and starting his route from said motion? Maybe that's not what he is supposed to do I don't know. But what OB has him doing now doesn't get him WIDE open very often.

Jimmy G is under Shanny and is one game from the SB. IMO he's not better than Watson. Shanny's offense is ridiculously good. Jimmy G has a top 3 TE and a bunch of JAG's at WR and Shanny creating the offense.
Watson has JAG's at TE, 1 great WR, 1 very, very good WR (when he can play), and OB creating the offense.
I think, if the QB's switched coaches, Watson would be killing it while Jimmy G would be getting killed. Would Watson still have his "oh crap" moments, sure. But he just very well may be one game from the SB if that was the case.

Disagree about Jimmy G.

Look at his record and when he joined the 49ers they were bad. Jimmy G was undefeated in New England and won his 1st six starts on a bad 49ers team then got hurt last yr early. He's very underrated. He's very accurate and gets rid of the ball when nothing is there.

He's been successful in both the EP/WC systems. There's a reason Belichick pitched a b!tch when Brady went to Kraft and made Belichick trade Jimmy G.

In fact I would say RS biggest mistake during his tenure wasn't reupping Schaub/Cushing when he didn't have too. It was not drafting Jimmy G.

Disagree about Jimmy G.

Look at his record and when he joined the 49ers they were bad. Jimmy G was undefeated in New England and won his 1st six starts on a bad 49ers team then got hurt last yr early. He's very underrated. He's very accurate and gets rid of the ball when nothing is there.

He's been successful in both the EP/WC systems. There's a reason Belichick pitched a b!tch when Brady went to Kraft and made Belichick trade Jimmy G.

In fact I would say RS biggest mistake during his tenure wasn't reupping Schaub/Cushing when he didn't have too. It was not drafting Jimmy G.

Better coaching and way better schemes. Add in a really good running game. That’s why Jimmy G looks aight out there. But from all the 49ers fans I know, are not impressed with Jimmy G.

Last edited:
Better coaching and way better schemes. Add in a really good running game. That’s why Jimmy G looks aight out there. But from all the 49ers fans I are not impressed with Jimmy G.

He looked pretty darn good running the EP system for belichick too. Belichick wanted to keep Jimmy G at all costs.

I value Belichick's opinion far more than I do yours. Shanny's for that matter too. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

He looked pretty darn good running the EP system for belichick too. Belichick wanted to keep Jimmy G at all costs.

I value Belichick's opinion far more than I do yours. Shanny's for that matter too. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.
Man the offense was watered down. It was at its simplest form. Just like it was with Brissett.
And you can’t say at all cost because it wasn’t. Dude is a 49er now.

Man the offense was watered down. It was at its simplest form. Just like it was with Brissett.
And you can’t say at all cost because it wasn’t. Dude is a 49er now.

After Brady talked to Kraft, Kraft told Belichick to trade Jimmy G. Teddy J said this on his show at the time of the trade.

Last edited:

When O’Brien said that he had no idea how many draft picks he’d have at draft time, that raised a lot of alarm bells for me. Clearly nobody is going to be around to stop him or tell him otherwise — they all get fired if they do. I’m not trying to tell you I think the Texans are going to make more moves trading picks, because I honestly don’t know. But given how little they dabble in free agency traditionally, and given how O’Brien’s own reflection of the trades revolves around how they worked, why wouldn’t they keep trading? Why would they feel the slightest amount of remorse?

I don’t think O’Brien is going to lead the Texans anywhere, because giving him power is only making him more ineffective in every direction in my opinion. I don’t necessarily think the Texans are going to crash and burn, because the talent they have is too good. I don’t even think a trip to an AFC Title Game is out of the realm of possibility if Watson hits another level. Anything can happen in a one-game sample. Shredder has kidnapped a turtle before. (Usually Michelangelo, lazy party ass.)

But there’s a reason that every TV broadcaster on both networks doing the Texans playoff game picked the Texans to lose. It’s not disrespect of the team — it’s disrespect of a coach who hasn’t seemed all that interested in scheming in a long time and who invents new ways to blow games. He is the anchor around this franchise’s neck. O’Brien advocates will tell you about division championships all day long and challenge you to name a better coach, then **** on that coach. Because “You suck, too, ************!” is not just something we say loudly, it is a personal ethos for many.

When we talk about the sort of cynical feeling around Houston football fans right now, a lot of it comes because they aren’t even able to envision this team taking the next step. I can’t tell you how many ordinary people in my life — people who don’t even know I write about football — tell me unprompted that O’Brien’s not a good coach when the subject hits Texans. I don’t bring this up to use it as proof that O’Brien’s bad, but proof that the city as a whole is tired. It just wants something believable to root for. Someone who, as Sean Pendergast says, won’t bamboozle you.

Shredder lasted eight seasons. That’s the earliest John McClain can see the Texans making a change: O’Brien’s eighth season, 2021.

I’m steeling myself for some enjoyable Deshaun Watson highlights. I have no expectations beyond that. Why would I? Shredder always loses in the end, and Shredder never faces any consequences.

He always escapes, just like Houston’s head football coach.

Tannehill is playing efficient football. He got 2 first downs running the ball.

Not taking up for BOB, I would have fired him after Sunday. Difference is I dont think what's wrong with DW4 can be coached out of him, you do. I respect your opinion, but give me a time frame where you will start to question if DW4 is a franchise QB and not just hey, he ain't as bad as Carr/Hoyerable/Os etc...
What difference does it make? You fire BOB now and see if another coach can do the job then if not you worry about that. BOB is absolute trash. He is making the same kind of mistakes today he was making his first year. Actually I think he’s gotten worse. He’s now making mistakes that you don’t see high school coaches make. He’s incompetent and there is no denying that.

he’s had no real success with any of his QBs so using Watson as an excuse to retain him is silly.

Tannehill is playing efficient football. He got 2 first downs running the ball.

Not taking up for BOB, I would have fired him after Sunday. Difference is I dont think what's wrong with DW4 can be coached out of him, you do. I respect your opinion, but give me a time frame where you will start to question if DW4 is a franchise QB and not just hey, he ain't as bad as Carr/Hoyerable/Os etc...
In interviews, podcasts or social media postings, a number of former NFL QBs or players constantly make negative comments about O’Brien‘s offense and how the system is underperforming with the available talent. How it doesn’t do many of the things good offenses are doing around the NFL. How it doesn’t consistently create easy throws for his QB and WRs. How the route concepts are basic and easily defended. They say Watson makes mistakes and is still learning, but the majority question if O’Brien and his scheme can help Watson reach his potential or even minimize his weaknesses.

With that said, I give Watson two years after he is away from O’Brien and his failed EP offense before I can say he is NOT a franchise QB. At this point, those two years can be because O’Brien is fired or Watson is on another team.

I commented on this elsewhere. Because of PSL's it's not as easy as simply not renewing your season tickets. PSL's force you to buy the tickets or you lose that investment. So in essence, the NFL was able to come up with a scheme where they didn't have to worry too much about season ticket sales dropping.

Now there are season tickets without PSL's, mine for example, but that's a lot smaller percentage that really isn't going to make that much difference.

And who's fault is that?

Americans fault that's who.

The fact that American football fans allowed themselves to get their arms twisted into getting scammed into PSL investments is their own doing. I thought about getting some season tickets when they first came out, and had no idea what PSL's were. Every time someone tried explaining that crap to me, it seemed hard to understand their purpose and they were just a nuisance if anything else. There was no way I was going to purchase one of those things. I don't know of any other sport that has that crap. NFL football fans asked to take it up the ass.

So he should know what seats the guy has, or pretty close. After 2 or 3 times BOB could have had someone taping the "fan". ID their seats and have the Texans revoke their season tickets. Never needed to say one word. But that would require planning ahead from someone who doesn't know that sometimes 4th down comes after 3rd down.

Cursing and screaming has always been part of NFL football on game day.

What is it now we have these whiny fans who want other fans thrown out the minute profanity is screamed out when it has been going on for 50+ years? What we're all of a sudden all to mentally weak to handle it?

Very typical of progressives to try and ruin the game day experience like everything else because their "feelings" are to important and fragile.

Nothing wrong with what O'Brien did. Ditka did that stuff all the time and it made him famous. Its nice to see a HC defend his guys sometimes. Just because fans get to scream stuff at anyone they want, doesn't mean the players and coaches shouldn't be able to yell something back.

What does me saying Mahomes is a better leader have to do with me hating (I dont, I just dont think DW4's that good) DW4?

Sunday should've been obvious to you but I'm sure it wasn't. How many yrs?
DW4 and BO'b seemed like the perfect match when they first started working together. Then DW got hurt and the injury bug caught up to some other key members of the team. When DW4 came back it seems BO'b quit doing what he had done with DW4 before. I think DW4 has a lot of potential but BO'b is squandering it to some degree. I don't feel that some of DW's shortcomings are unavoidable and feel that if he were with a coach that knows his Qb's limitations he could best utilize his strengths. BO'b is too hard headed and insist on trying to put a square peg into a round hole. I have seen enough Qb's succeed under coaches who are willing to utilize the strengths of their young Qb's. DW4 has weaknesses that are obvious but he also has a lot of strengths that make him a special talent. Either BO'b goes back to what was working for him and DW4 or he stays stubborn and his job will be on the line. Cal McNair's hand will be forced if we have another playoff implosion.

We talk about our O-lines troubles but I have witnessed plenty of times when DW4 had more than enough time to complete a pass and he ended up sacked or running to get as much yardage as possible. I realize he should not get sacked on those plays where he had plenty of time to deliver a pass. We talk about DW4 not reading defenses but before he got injured the first time our offense looked explosive. Too many times when DW4 has had plenty of time to deliver a pass nobody gets open. Yes there are times when DW4 misses open men but lately he seems to be unable to find anybody open. We have proven weapons at Wr and far too many wasted downs because for whatever reason they are unable to get open. To me it is obvious the offense is stagnated by BO'b and his stubborn pride. I will not pass judgement on DW4 till either BO'b uses him accordingly or someone else does.

Last edited:
What difference does it make? You fire BOB now and see if another coach can do the job then if not you worry about that. BOB is absolute trash. He is making the same kind of mistakes today he was making his first year. Actually I think he’s gotten worse. He’s now making mistakes that you don’t see high school coaches make. He’s incompetent and there is no denying that.

he’s had no real success with any of his QBs so using Watson as an excuse to retain him is silly.

I'm not making DW4 an excuse to retain him. He should be gone after last Sunday. I'm just saying DW4 has plenty of blame to share and there will be no championships regardless of who the HC is with DW4 at QB.

In interviews, podcasts or social media postings, a number of former NFL QBs or players constantly make negative comments about O’Brien‘s offense and how the system is underperforming with the available talent. How it doesn’t do many of the things good offenses are doing around the NFL. How it doesn’t consistently create easy throws for his QB and WRs. How the route concepts are basic and easily defended. They say Watson makes mistakes and is still learning, but the majority question if O’Brien and his scheme can help Watson reach his potential or even minimize his weaknesses.

With that said, I give Watson two years after he is away from O’Brien and his failed EP offense before I can say he is NOT a franchise QB. At this point, those two years can be because O’Brien is fired or Watson is on another team.

Then they should go ahead and fire BOB so you can find out what I already think. I'm just glad to see somebody come up with a time frame for DW4 like I did for BOB which was 3 yrs before last Sunday's debacle.

DW4 and BO'b seemed like the perfect match when they first started working together. Then DW got hurt and the injury bug caught up to some other key members of the team. When DW4 came back it seems BO'b quit doing what he had done with DW4 before. I think DW4 has a lot of potential but BO'b is squandering it to some degree. I don't feel that some of DW's shortcomings are unavoidable and feel that if he were with a coach that knows his Qb's limitations he could best utilize his strengths. BO'b is too hard headed and insist on trying to put a square peg into a round hole. I have seen enough Qb's succeed under coaches who are willing to utilize the strengths of their young Qb's. DW4 has weaknesses that are obvious but he also has a lot of strengths that make him a special talent. Either BO'b goes back to what was working for him and DW4 or he stays stubborn and his job will be on the line. Cal McNair's hand will be forced if we have another playoff implosion.

We talk about our O-lines troubles but I have witnessed plenty of times when DW4 had more than enough time to complete a pass and he ended up sacked or running to get as much yardage as possible. I realize he should not get sacked on those plays where he had plenty of time to deliver a pass. We talk about DW4 not reading defenses but before he got injured the first time our offense looked explosive. Too many times when DW4 has had plenty of time to deliver a pass nobody gets open. Yes there are times when DW4 misses open men but lately he seems to be unable to find anybody open. We have proven weapons at Wr and far too many wasted downs because for whatever reason they are unable to get open. To me it is obvious the offense is stagnated by BO'b and his stubborn pride. I will not pass judgement on DW4 till either BO'b uses him accordingly or someone else does.
The 1st seven games were fools gold.
Defenses have figured out what DW4 likes to do and he/BOB have to adjust.

It's a combination of DW4's strengths not fitting BOB's offense. But even if you used an offense that was best for DW4's strengths his weaknesses wont allow for a championship and you cant improve Accuracy and anticipation. Those are things you are even born with or you aren't.

BTW, was Stills wide open Sunday?

I saw Fells and Duke open many times when they didn't get the ball on Sunday. That's on DW4 not BOB and something else DW4 needs to improve upon regadless of who the next HC is.

All of this really doesn't matter since DW4's going to be here atleast another 5 yrs and the best we can hope for is that he overcomes these things.

Big homie it took Brady at least 5 years before Belichick and company to let him loose. He was just a game manager, basically going through a few reads. Once he fully understood the philosophy, it was on and popping.

How many SB's did he win in those 5 yrs. Accuracy and anticipation are the key traits for championship level QB's regardless of the offense.

Texans drives of 10 plays or more this year.

New Orleans - 16 plays, 80 yards, TD
Jags - 15 plays, 66 yds., FG
11 plays, 76 yds., FG
Car - 10 plays, 76 yds., FG
Atl - 11 plays, 75 yds., TD
10 plays, 65 yds. FG
KC - 12 plays, 49 yds., FG
10 plays, 75 yds., TD
12 plays, 80 yds., TD
10 plays, 42 yds. Missed FG
11 plays, 65 yds., INT
12 plays, 103 yds. TD
9 plays, 42 yds. GAME OVER
(Best game of year, IMO, offensively)
OAK 11 plays, 54 yds. FG
15 plays, 82 yds., TD
JAC 13 plays, 77 yds., FG
14 plays, 80 yds., TD
BAL 11 plays, 45 tds., Missed FG
IND 10 plays, 42 yds., FG
NE 13 plays, 88 yds., TD
DEN 12 plays, 66 yds., TD
14 plays, 76 yds., TD
(Garbage time TD's against soft prevent Defense)
TEN 10 plays, 54 yds., INT
12 plays, 85 yds., FG
TB 14 plays, 73 yds., FG
10 plays, 64 yds., FG
TEN 15 plays, 75 yds., TD (first opening drive TD in forever, McCarron)
16 plays, 80 yds., TD (McCarron)

27 drives of 10 plays or more. 12 TD's, 11 FG's, 2 missed FG's, 2 INT's.

27 drives of 10 plays or more for the season. That's 1.6 per game and takes into account 7 in one game. Exclude that game and its 1.3 drives per game of 10 or more plays.

Finishing drives …. 12 of those 27 resulted in paydirt. That's 0.75 per game.

A quarter of those 10+ play drives resulting in a TD came in that same KC game , exclude that again and its 0.60 , just over half a drive per game of 10 plays or more resulting in a TD.

Two more of those 10+ play TD drives came in week 17 when you rested a bunch of starters including Watson. Exclude that game and you scored 7 TD's on 10+ play drives for in 14 games , half a drive per game.

Edit - They scored 46 TD's for the season - remove those 2 from the game McCarron started , and the three from the KC game and the 2 defensive scores - that leaves 39 offensive TD's in 14 games , (2.78 per game). 17.9% of those came on drives of 10 plays or more or less than 1 in 5.

That offense is a big play or a busted drive more often than not.

Last edited:
27 drives of 10 plays or more for the season. That's 1.6 per game and takes into account 7 in one game. Exclude that game and its 1.3 drives per game of 10 or more plays.

Finishing drives …. 12 of those 27 resulted in paydirt. That's 0.75 per game.

A quarter of those 10+ play drives resulting in a TD came in that same KC game , exclude that again and its 0.60 , just over half a drive per game of 10 plays or more resulting in a TD.

Two more of those 10+ play TD drives came in week 17 when you rested a bunch of starters including Watson. Exclude that game and you scored 7 TD's on 10+ play drives for in 14 games , half a drive per game.

Edit - They scored 46 TD's for the season - remove those 2 from the game McCarron started , and the three from the KC game and the 2 defensive scores - that leaves 39 offensive TD's in 14 games , (2.78 per game). 17.9% of those came on drives of 10 plays or more or less than 1 in 5.

That offense is a big play or a busted drive more often than not.
Thanks for doing the math. Math is the main reason I do what I do today for a living. Hate math!
At any rate, that's not a good ratio. They had a bunch of TD's that were 6,7,8 plays long that resulted in TD's. All of them had a long pass completion. But since you were talking about "sustained" drives, I went with 10 plays or more.

How many SB's did he win in those 5 yrs. Accuracy and anticipation are the key traits for championship level QB's regardless of the offense.

They won because of the defense and running game with a little help from the refs. Tuck rule took off after that stuff.

Come on dude anything to put down the youngster as usual. Time to start playing a new song.

Thanks for doing the math. Math is the main reason I do what I do today for a living. Hate math!
At any rate, that's not a good ratio. They had a bunch of TD's that were 6,7,8 plays long that resulted in TD's. All of them had a long pass completion. But since you were talking about "sustained" drives, I went with 10 plays or more.

That was my contention in the post you originally quoted - Its a big play or nothing more often than not.

I really need to go back and count every drive and see what percentage ended in a TD , FG or giving it up one way or another , punt , turnover , downs. I just don't care to do the actual counting …. I know the outcome isn't going to be favorable to the team.

Regardless of the efforts of one person this is still an O’Brien thread.

I feel the best path forward for this team is replacing the coaching staff and front office. When your young QB has to remind the coach what the score is and the rhythm the other teams offense has gotten into, in a playoff game, that’s coaching negligence. 4th and 4, down 17 and your HC is calling for the punt team in the 4th quarter? The evaluation of the team MUST start there. Anyone claiming different has to be ignored. They’re not being objective in any way.

How many times must ownership be reminded that the playoffs are too big of a stage for O’Brien before a change is made?

There is no doubt in my mind about the validity of your post.

I think it's like Tony Dungy in Tampa Bay. He's a good coach, won a SB in Indy, but it was clearly not working in Tampa. That's why a new coach could take that talent and win a Super Bowl championship the next season.

O'Brien could probably be a great coach with the right personnel (if he learned the basics of clock management, of course).

And Watson could be a championship QB with the right coaching (if he learns how to consistently pick up a blitz).

But together? They are clearly not a good fit. O'Brien's scheme is not playing to Watson's strengths.

They won because of the defense and running game with a little help from the refs. Tuck rule took off after that stuff.

Come on dude anything to put down the youngster as usual. Time to start playing a new song.

I'm talking about Brady not DW4. I dont expect DW4 to be as clutch as Brady was his 1st 5 yrs in the NFL. Nobody has been, but dont make Brady out to be some game manager. He's been the ultimate in clutch since he 1st stepped foot on a field in the NFL.

I'm talking about Brady not DW4. I dont expect DW4 to be as clutch as Brady was his 1st 5 yrs in the NFL. Nobody has been, but dont make Brady out to be some game manager. He's been the ultimate in clutch since he 1st stepped foot on a field in the NFL.

You’re missing the point completely. Brady was not clutch earlier in his career. He was tasked to being just a game manager and that’s it.

You’re missing the point completely. Brady was not clutch earlier in his career. He was tasked to being just a game manager and that’s it.

I understand arguing with certain people you tend to back yourself into positions you never meant to be. You lose the crux of your original argument (which had merit) & you find yourself defending ridiculous statements that you yourself don't believe.

If you know me, you know I've been there.

Tom Brady wasn't always an elite QB in the NFL, but he's always been clutch.

I understand arguing with certain people you tend to back yourself into positions you never meant to be. You lose the crux of your original argument (which had merit) & you find yourself defending ridiculous statements that you yourself don't believe.

If you know me, you know I've been there.

Tom Brady wasn't always an elite QB in the NFL, but he's always been clutch.

Brady took his team on the last minute drive to win a SB his 1st year starting. I would say that's clutch.

OBrien has complete operational control of this franchise. The McNairs are like the chinese emperor - a privileged name with money and no control whatsoever. Not one time has Cal McNair or his mommy for that matter addressed the public. OBrien comes out talking bout "well the same dudes that were here last year, will be here next year why wouldnt they?" ... "we get together as a group and make decisions and I have final say so - its awesome!"

there is no hot seat.

Come 'on guys, stop getting rilled up by steelb. Not worth it. This is what he does every season. He finds some detail to harp on and injects it into every thread as the reason why the Texans won't succeed. Remember last season, where it was the poor OL? They invested in the OL, so he needs to find something new to blame.

Come 'on guys, stop getting rilled up by steelb. Not worth it. This is what he does every season. He finds some detail to harp on and injects it into every thread as the reason why the Texans won't succeed. Remember last season, where it was the poor OL? They invested in the OL, so he needs to find something new to blame.

No blame, just calling it like I see it.

The OL talent greatly improved. The OL coaching didn't, hence the OL was only slightly improved. They need a new OL coach. I nominate Bill Callahan for the job.

Man I almost bite the bait again lol. The oline greatly improved but still can’t stop a 3-4 defensive front. They were horrible with picking up these different stunts.

Man I almost bite the bait again lol. The oline greatly improved but still can’t stop a 3-4 defensive front. They were horrible with picking up these different stunts.

Honestly I would say they did greatly improve, Watson took 44 sacks this year compared to 60+ last year and that was with an extra game played and with Tunsil and Howard both out for multiple games. Also given that Howard was a newly drafted rookie and Tunsil got here a week before the season started I think they will be even better next year maybe even get the sack count down around the 30 marker which is about the best you can do with a mobile/duel threat QB. That's not a knock on Watson just those kind of QBs naturally take more sacks.

I would very much like to see what this line could do with a real Oline coach, I could see them even being a top 10 line if they got that and Tunsil learned not to jump the gun.

This is an article I read awhile back that emphasizes Garoppolo's mechanics, which allows him to get the ball out with lightning speed and be able to be equally successful hitting receivers all over the field while mostly staying in the pocket, but mobile enough to be effective when having to selectively leave it. This is the type of QB that Shanahan looks for in his scheme.

Film room: The good, the bad, and the ugly of Jimmy Garoppolo part 3, mechanics
The final part where we discuss Jimmy G’s mechanics

By Rich Madrid@richjmadrid Sep 8, 2019, 7:30am PDT

Yes sir, and in Shanahan's schemes, guys are running wide open.

wide. ass. open.

I mean yea sure Emmanuel Sanders and Deebo Samuels are ALL PROS and teams MUST account for them :kitten: (LMAO i tried to be serious) obviously the QB talent is head and shoulders above anything else in the league :kitten: and thats why the TIGHT END is the highest rated receiver in that offense!!!

i still marvel at how incredibly dumb and uninformed some of our "OG's" are in this place when trying to find a reason to diminish Watson, pump up OBrien and then make idiotic claims that are ridiculously easy to fact check ... AND THEN they still want to argue the validity of their absurd claims. LOLLL

Its like when people tell "towelie" that he is in fact a towel and everything is rooted in accuracy and fact - and his response?

tenor.gif

read this and then ask yourself how OBrien fits into the mold of a "young, progressive" coach.

This started with a simple question for Shanahan—Is the idea that football has been turned upside down over the last few years a little overblown?

“I don’t think it’s changed as much as everyone thinks,” he says. “I think people are doing a better job of studying other people’s stuff. I think people have caught up to using the computers a lot better and stealing things a lot better. Some of the speed people have gotten on the field over the last few years, personally I think some of the speed we used in Atlanta got people to use a lot more speed.”

“I think it’s the fun narrative,” added Rams coach Sean McVay, about the offensive “revolution” of which he’s been positioned as a leader. “But I think a lot of the stuff is stuff that’s been successful over the course of time, whether it be going back and looking at how long Coach [Andy] Reid, how long the Patriots and the Saints have been doing it at such a high level under Bill [Belichick] and Josh [McDaniels] and then under Sean [Payton]. And for me, with Kyle and learning from his dad.”

What kind of insight could these two coaches provide on where offensive football is and where it’s going next? Let’s dive into that.

Running the ball still matters. Way back in the 1990s, Shanahan’s dad Mike married much of his run game to the pass game via the outside-zone run concepts that he and ex-line coach Alex Gibbs deployed, which had bootleg pass concepts off them. It was retrofitted in 2012 for Robert Griffin—when the elder Shanahan was head coach, the son was coordinator and McVay was tight ends coach in Washington—with the zone-read and RPOs.

Those teams ran the ball efficiently and effectively, and that changed the math for defenses—often taking defenders out of the passing game or forcing them to play tackling-deficient players a certain way. That’s why the Redskins were able to pile up 3,000 of their 2012 passing yards off of, get this, just three pass plays. The opponent was doing so much to stop the run, they’d deplete themselves of resources to combat the pass.

The analytics community has circled the effectiveness of play-action in the NFL, and that’s largely a result of what this family of offenses has done. And its foundation is having a viable run game to legitimize a quarterback’s play fakes.

“A lot of the things that have enabled us to have success have been the same,” McVay says. “And that’s being able to run or throw the football based on what a defense presents.”

The NFL’s version of file sharing. I’ve written about Matt Nagy’s affinity for swiping concepts from all levels of football, and about how Payton and McVay steal ideas from each other’s tape. This, of course, is what Shanahan was referencing in saying teams “are doing a better job of studying other team’s stuff.”

McVay, for example, took a look at a play Payton ran (a 32-yard throw to Benjamin Watson) at the Rams in Week 9, reworked it, and then hit the Seahawks with it in Week 10—Cooper Kupp went for 25 yards on that one. And Payton had basically done the same thing a few weeks early, taking a shovel pass he saw the Patriots use against the Bears in Week 7 and turning it into an Alvin Kamara touchdown against the Vikings in Week 8.

Doing this takes work—McVay studies all the touchdowns and explosive plays from across the NFL every Monday morning—and the humility to know you don’t have it all figured out. And it’s also important to have good sense for when to do it, and when not to.

“If you just copy plays, you’re gonna be in trouble,” Shanahan says. “You better know why you’re putting it in, you better tell your team, ‘hey, they did this, but this is why we’re doing it, what we’re trying to attack.’ If not, you’re just hoping to get lucky.”

Motioning is one part of the “dress up” of all this, and personnel groupings are another. Let’s allow Shanahan to explain this.

“That’s why I use 21 [personnel] probably more than anyone in the NFL, we have a fullback in there, not just because that’s our offense, it’s because I believe that’s an advantage,” Shanahan says, using the jargon for two-back, one-tight end groupings. “People don’t play base defense very much, because the majority of the league doesn’t have a fullback. And so you get people on the field they’re not as used to practicing with.

“You know their menu’s smaller, and it’s, ‘Alright, I know I’m attacking these five things, instead of these 25 things.’ And you can see it better as a play-caller, as a quarterback. But also, it can be an advantage for the defense. If there’s only two receivers out, that’s a lot easier to defend than having to deal with a slot receiver. That’s why it’s important to me to have a fullback like Juice [Kyle Juszczyk] where you can do two-back, but you also can be in one-back and do one-back type stuff.”

This came into play in the Super Bowl at the most critical time. McDaniels rolled the Patriots out on their final drive in ‘22’ personnel, but with versatile, pass-catching back Rex Burkhead in, which forced the Rams to put their bigger defensive personnel in the game. Then, the Patriots threw on four straight plays to go from their own 31 to the Rams two-yard line, and set up the game-winning touchdown.

It’s just like Shanahan was saying—McDaniels used his personnel to force certain Rams personnel on the field, and had little trouble going to work from there.

Defenses do catch up, so offenses have to keep adjusting. This was apparent in the numbers last year, too.

We mentioned this in the Game Plan column on Gary Patterson about a month ago, and it merits repeating (thanks to our buddy Warren Sharp, again, for this research): Average scoring per team exceeded 23 points in 11 of the first 12 weeks of last year, and average yardage per team topped 340 yards in all 12 of those weeks. Conversely, average scoring per team dipped below 23 points and in each of the final five weeks of the year, and average yards per team was under 340 in four of those five weeks.

“To me, there are some good quarterbacks in this league, coaches are doing well,” Shanahan said. “But, I mean, it was 3-3 in the Super Bowl. Guys can stop people. It was always gets like that towards the end of the year. It wasn’t just (the Patriots). Chicago also did that to them. Philly did that to them. We’ve got numbers and you can do stuff, but it’s very rare you can do it all year. That’s why you’ve gotta have defense to win in this league.”

So while it’s fair to guess that you’ll see a handful of offenses come flying out of the gate in Week 1, it’s far less likely that they’re maintaining that level after Thanksgiving.

What Shanahan’s saying is not overly complicated. An offense has to have an identity and a foundation on which to draw back. But, creatively, there are endless ways (through motioning, formationing, etc.) to make what’s supposed to be easy on your own players complicated on other teams. What they’re doing isn’t so different—it just needs to appear that way.

“If you really look at it, it’s a variation of something that’s already been done with a subtle tweak that’s designed to fit within the framework of how you want to operate with your personnel in your system,” McVay says. “But it still ends up being a lot of the same stuff, whether it’s how you’re distributing concepts, how you’re getting to the same distribution in the play-action game.

Which explains why when I told McVay what Shanahan said, he didn’t miss a beat in affirming its validity.

“Kyle’s been a huge influence on me,” McVay says. “I totally agree with what he’s saying.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back