Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

How do we get rid of GM/Coach/Playcaller/King Obrien?

nut

Veteran
The owner will probably want to keep him. The games are a sellout and Obrien may choose to use his bully tactics. No way cancelling season tickets would make any difference because not enough people would do it. The Coach/Playcaller does not have the constitution in his guts to handle the pressure of these big games. It is a requisite to be able to think clearly when the pressure is ramped up. A guy with a nickname of "The Teapot" does not have the ability to make effective decisions under fire. I was more depressed than angry yesterday when the Playcaller sent out those absurd plays when we were way ahead. That is what he has usually done in moments of great magnitude. I hear him say "we are headed in the right direction" and "we just have to coach better" after yesterday's game but that is what he always says after his numerous mistakes.

Maybe if everybody elects to chip in $20 for gigantic signs in high traffic areas requesting his dismissal he would resign or get canned.

Is there any way to get rid of him and if so, how? All suggestions are appreciated.

At what point do you say, no more Texans until a change happens? No Tv viewing and no more gear, no more going to games. Owners own the teams, the fans pay for them, somewhat. So when does enough become enough and we just stop until Bill is gone with Crennell under his arm? change is inevitable, it's time for some out on Kirby.

JB

Old Curmudgeon
Contributor's Club
The only way I see is have the NFL force McNair to sell... what did the Panthers owner do? Anyone know somebody?

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
The owner will probably want to keep him. The games are a sellout and Obrien may choose to use his bully tactics. No way cancelling season tickets would make any difference because not enough people would do it. The Coach/Playcaller does not have the constitution in his guts to handle the pressure of these big games. It is a requisite to be able to think clearly when the pressure is ramped up. A guy with a nickname of "The Teapot" does not have the ability to make effective decisions under fire. I was more depressed than angry yesterday when the Playcaller sent out those absurd plays when we were way ahead. That is what he has usually done in moments of great magnitude. I hear him say "we are headed in the right direction" and "we just have to coach better" after yesterday's game but that is what he always says after his numerous mistakes.

Maybe if everybody elects to chip in $20 for gigantic signs in high traffic areas requesting his dismissal he would resign or get canned.

Is there any way to get rid of him and if so, how? All suggestions are appreciated.
I guess I could buy the team and fire him myself.:ahhaha:

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think enough cancelling tickets and complaining would make a difference.

But what % of season ticket holders are ready to do that?

Speedy

Yeller Dweller
I think enough cancelling tickets and complaining would make a difference.

But what % of season ticket holders are ready to do that?
I commented on this elsewhere. Because of PSL's it's not as easy as simply not renewing your season tickets. PSL's force you to buy the tickets or you lose that investment. So in essence, the NFL was able to come up with a scheme where they didn't have to worry too much about season ticket sales dropping.

Now there are season tickets without PSL's, mine for example, but that's a lot smaller percentage that really isn't going to make that much difference.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that we on this board represent a small section of the fan base. For most people football is a very casual thing that is more about the tailgating and friends and family than it is about how well the team is doing. Look at all the franchises with years or decades of absolutely horrible records that still have die hard fans that sell out the seats. Hell look at Browns fans, they may whine and complain but they are still there every Sunday.

Even that poll showing 80 or whatever percent wanted him fired well that was right after a bad lose, run that poll again in say April or August and I think you'll see it drop because most people just don't care enough to say one way or the other. Even if they do say they want him fired they'll still buy tickets or if they are season ticket holders locked in like Speedy said go to the games rather than just leave the seat empty.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Ultimately it comes down to the fact that we on this board represent a small section of the fan base. For most people football is a very casual thing that is more about the tailgating and friends and family than it is about how well the team is doing. Look at all the franchises with years or decades of absolutely horrible records that still have die hard fans that sell out the seats. Hell look at Browns fans, they may whine and complain but they are still there every Sunday.

Even that poll showing 80 or whatever percent wanted him fired well that was right after a bad lose, run that poll again in say April or August and I think you'll see it drop because most people just don't care enough to say one way or the other. Even if they do say they want him fired they'll still buy tickets or if they are season ticket holders locked in like Speedy said go to the games rather than just leave the seat empty.
I'm glad ownership and the front office is running the franchise for fans who don't really care

stingray

Hall of Fame
Cal McNair = meet the new boss, same as the old boss. :bigboss:

Nothing is going to change. Business is good.

I'm sure he's got some exotic animal to go hunt and stuff for his office. It's the off-season, so he gets to get back into his other hobbies.
Hes more interested in game trophies not SB trophies.

Porky

Hall of Fame
We should have a publicly owned team like the Packers. No single person can buy the team, but if we also owned some shares, then we all become owners.

Of course, that's never going to happen, but it would be cool if it did.

Earl34

Rookie
I would have people convince McNair to step in and make O’Brien give up play calling duties.

I think if Cal forced him to hire an OC or make changes to his staff, teapot might quit than accept those changes.

surfintexas

Practice Squad
I think someone mentioned this in the forum before, but why not get some people together and pitch in to buy billboard spots across Houston asking for his resignation or termination?

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Really, I would be okay if we got an OC and let BOB do the coaching and GM work. If he would do that, I think things would be different. Perhaps some college level stud who wants to make his mark in the NFL...and who has the 'modern' offensive scheming in mind, tailored to the skill sets of the modern QB that seems to be coming out these days. BOB can offer his play in tight situations if he feels the need, but the primary responsibility would be the OC's. That may work as an option, but I'm no football aficionado by no means...just a thought.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Because of the PSL scam, it isn't as easy as just canceling your tickets. There's an investment involved. You HAVE to buy the tickets if you don't want to lose that investment.
PSLs have helped to destroy the NFL. Besides your point, too large a segment of PSLs are corporate writeoffs. Gone are the days that teams (and the NFL in general) worry about the quality of the product on the field to make changes...............they know that the PSLs will supply uninterrupted monies no matter what.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Just keep heckling O'Brien at the games.

Let's be clear, this joker spewed profanities at O'Brien, the other coaches AND the players as they entered the tunnel each and every game............even when they won, but much more animated when they lost. He had someone recording each time, hoping to incite O'Brien to do exactly what he finally did..........for the specific prearranged purpose of selling it to TMZ. O'Brien no doubt would have been better off not blowing, but he was defending the whole team. Incomplete stories like these make for better press for angry fans.

whodknee

Working Class Hero
***PUBLIC NOTICE # 7*** CALiente Roberto McNair I hereby DEMAND you call a press conference no later than 1/15/20 and hire a GM an OC and new DC. Failure to reply will result in more Demands

Double Barrel

Staff member
Contributor's Club
Let's be clear, this joker spewed profanities at O'Brien, the other coaches AND the players as they entered the tunnel each and every game............even when they won, but much more animated when they lost. He had someone recording each time, hoping to incite O'Brien to do exactly what he finally did..........for the specific prearranged purpose of selling it to TMZ. O'Brien no doubt would have been better off not blowing, but he was defending the whole team. Incomplete stories like these make for better press for angry fans.
I get it, but at the same time, drunk losers yelling crap at football games goes back many, many decades (heck, it's probably part of the fanatic fabric of the league the past century).

The inherent problem with O'Brien's meltdown is that it reveals a lack of mental fortitude. Other coaches have been yelled at. Most likely ALL of them at some point or another.

That said, can you imagine Belichick, Tom Landry, Chuck Knoll, Bill Walsh, or any number of other legendary coaches responding in such a manner?

Of course not. This is Dennis Green territory. This is indicative of a person who does not stay in control of his emotions. That's never okay for the leader of men, much less the GM and head coach of your professional team. It's a bad look, and I do have to wonder how Bob McNair would have responded to it. It's certainly not "Texans worthy".

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I get it, but at the same time, drunk losers yelling crap at football games goes back many, many decades (heck, it's probably part of the fanatic fabric of the league the past century).

The inherent problem with O'Brien's meltdown is that it reveals a lack of mental fortitude. Other coaches have been yelled at. Most likely ALL of them at some point or another.

That said, can you imagine Belichick, Tom Landry, Chuck Knoll, Bill Walsh, or any number of other legendary coaches responding in such a manner?

Of course not. This is Dennis Green territory. This is indicative of a person who does not stay in control of his emotions. That's never okay for the leader of men, much less the GM and head coach of your professional team. It's a bad look, and I do have to wonder how Bob McNair would have responded to it. It's certainly not "Texans worthy".
I don't agree with how he handled it. But all of us can think of a time we got pushed to the point we said or did something we would have never done otherwise...............in a totally inappropriate setting.

A Recent History of Athletes and Coaches Cursing at Fans

BYCHRIS YUSCAVAGE
News Editor. @cyuscavage

Fred

Veteran
So he should know what seats the guy has, or pretty close. After 2 or 3 times BOB could have had someone taping the "fan". ID their seats and have the Texans revoke their season tickets. Never needed to say one word. But that would require planning ahead from someone who doesn't know that sometimes 4th down comes after 3rd down.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
So he should know what seats the guy has, or pretty close. After 2 or 3 times BOB could have had someone taping the "fan". ID their seats and have the Texans revoke their season tickets. Never needed to say one word. But that would require planning ahead from someone who doesn't know that sometimes 4th down comes after 3rd down.
Cursing doesn't get your season tickets revoked............have had lots of drunken fools and others not needing beer sit in various sections when I've attended games over the years constantly throw the "F" bombs even in front of security...........doesn't happen unless someone starts throwing punches.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I commented on this elsewhere. Because of PSL's it's not as easy as simply not renewing your season tickets. PSL's force you to buy the tickets or you lose that investment. So in essence, the NFL was able to come up with a scheme where they didn't have to worry too much about season ticket sales dropping.

Now there are season tickets without PSL's, mine for example, but that's a lot smaller percentage that really isn't going to make that much difference.
And who's fault is that?

Americans fault that's who.

The fact that American football fans allowed themselves to get their arms twisted into getting scammed into PSL investments is their own doing. I thought about getting some season tickets when they first came out, and had no idea what PSL's were. Every time someone tried explaining that crap to me, it seemed hard to understand their purpose and they were just a nuisance if anything else. There was no way I was going to purchase one of those things. I don't know of any other sport that has that crap. NFL football fans asked to take it up the ass.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Cursing and screaming has always been part of NFL football on game day.

What is it now we have these whiny fans who want other fans thrown out the minute profanity is screamed out when it has been going on for 50+ years? What we're all of a sudden all to mentally weak to handle it?

Very typical of progressives to try and ruin the game day experience like everything else because their "feelings" are to important and fragile.

Nothing wrong with what O'Brien did. Ditka did that stuff all the time and it made him famous. Its nice to see a HC defend his guys sometimes. Just because fans get to scream stuff at anyone they want, doesn't mean the players and coaches shouldn't be able to yell something back.

badboy

Hall of Fame
So we trade Watson. Then what? OB's doing the draft picking, what the **** good are those draft picks gonna be then? Simply because of that reason alone, I'm against any trade of Watson.

Well, three 1s and a couple of 2s and I'd think about it. OB could then become the blind squirrel and find himself something. We'd have a **** load of tight ends.
You just seem to ignore that he used picks to get three starting offensive linemen a starting cornerback in Conley, and a pretty good running back in Duke Johnson. Part of the trade for tunsil brought a very good wide receiver in stills. That is in just one year. I'm definitely not a fan of his as a head coach but as a GM he's doing really good. if he had three picks in the 2020 draft it would be hard not to get three very good players Regardless who he chooses.

nut

Veteran
BO stinks. Bill Obrine's playcalling is a fireable offense. He is a complete idiot during games and should have been fired after the game and forced to find his own way back to Houston. You people giving the dictator a pass, please explain to me how preferring a chickenpoop FG instead of going for the 4th and 1 from the 17 to take a shot at going up 28-0 and then his brainfahrt fake punt from our 31 when up 24-7 not be cause for his immediate dismissal. When that game starts today with Tennessee playing KC to get to the Super Bowl, it is going to burn a lot of Houston fans' butts besides mine. And furthermore, what the heck is McClain giving that tyrant a C for a coaching grade for the year in the Chronicle today? Answer, because BO cuts the reporters off if they don't kiss his butt. Obrine should have been canned years ago.

thunderkyss

It's good to be me... again.
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You people giving the dictator a pass...
I should delete your post for this alone. But in the Spirit of Charity I'll let it stand & offer you the opportunity to present evidence there is someone here advocating for the continued reign of Bill O'Brien.

Reactions: JB

nut

Veteran
LOL. I think I remember somebody saying they didn't want him fired. Might have been a relative of his, I can't remember. Good catch.