Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How are you watching pro football this year?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I've used streaming services in the past like Hulu, YouTube TV, etc, but they are getting more and more expensive with each passing year. And forget U-Verse or cable, as they are even more expensive.

Do any of y'all have any less expensive options for watching games?

I had uVerse for years. Dumped it in 2020 due to rising costs. Used Fubo for about 2 years. Also dabbled with YouTube and Sling. I just couldn't get comfy with the slowness in changing channels, the clunkiness of the interfaces, the piss poor menus, the lack of a decent DVR etc. So, I bit the bullet about 3-4 months back and hooked up with Xfinity. I'm paying $130 all in TV/internet/taxes, fees, etc. That's only slightly more than Fubo + internet.

It's so much more user friendly. Way easier to channel surf, or go back and forth among two games/programs, etc. It's also voice enabled. I don't even to know what channel the game is on. I just say Houston Texans and it finds the channel it's on and takes me there. The interface, menus, DVR, are in a whole different universe from the streaming services.

If I wasn't a live news/sports junkie, I could do without it totally and just use my Amazon Fire Stick. But I am and therefore I'm going to have something that works legit.

It's like ice cream. If I wasn't such an ice cream junkie, I'd be ok with the occasional fat free, sugar-free taste-free so-called ice cream or fro yo. But I'm a junkie and I know it. So, I want my damn ice cream with all the fat, sugar and taste I can find and I'll pay more to get it!

I have Hulu Live, Netflix, Disney, Apple TV, HBO Max, and Amazon prime. I would have prime regardless so I don’t include that in my costs. I had Apple Music, and just increased the subscription to to a monthly bundle to include extra storage and Apple TV too. I get HBO Max for free through my wireless subscription which was a lifetime promotion as long as stay with ATT. It was actually cheaper than the plan I left so the cost wasn’t built in.

$5 - Apple TV
$78 - Hulu Live, Disney, ESPN
$22 - Netflix
$0 - Amazon
$0 - HBO Max

Where I save money is I have multiple TVs so I don’t have to worry about paying for extra boxes.

I have thought about switching from Hulu to FubuTV for Astros games.

I would have internet regardless for work and didn’t have to increase my speed with all the data I use.

I have Hulu Live, Netflix, Disney, Apple TV, HBO Max, and Amazon prime. I would have prime regardless so I don’t include that in my costs. I had Apple Music, and just increased the subscription to to a monthly bundle to include extra storage and Apple TV too. I get HBO Max for free through my wireless subscription which was a lifetime promotion as long as stay with ATT. It was actually cheaper than the plan I left so the cost wasn’t built in.

$5 - Apple TV
$78 - Hulu Live, Disney, ESPN
$22 - Netflix
$0 - Amazon
$0 - HBO Max

Where I save money is I have multiple TVs so I don’t have to worry about paying for extra boxes.

I would have internet regardless for work and didn’t have to increase my speed with all the data I use.
Same, except no Apple TV and I pay for HBO Max.

I work weekends, not sure if I'll watch any games this year. I think I might have watched 3 games last season.

i wouldn’t dare give my money to Xfinity ever again…how they manipulate their packages to take advantage of NFL fans…

Sling app thru Apple TV for Texans fox games and all other evening games on fox that i might want to see…..

paramount plus subscription thru appe TV for CBS Texans games and all other evening games on CBS i might want to see…..

peacock subscription thru apple TV to catch the sunday night primetime game on NBC.

ESPN monday night or NFL Network thursday night games…. If its a game i actually do wanna watch, i’ll go out & have dinner at Saltgrass or some other restaurant with a bar & sit & watch while i eat…..or head to my bro’s house and watch with him. Mostly i skip out on those though b/c they’re usually trash match ups or the football quality is so bad its not worth watching.

So….

35 a month for Sling
10 a month for Paramount Plus subscription
5 a month for Peacock subscription

50 bucks a month…very little in the way of taxes and extra fees attached that xfinity loves to tack on.

& Those 3 right there give you access to about 90% of the NFL games broadcast nationally as well.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've got Amazon Prime, which will give me Thursday night games.

And I've got Peacock, so I've got the Sunday night game.

I think I'll hook up my HD antennae and watch Texans games live. I'd prefer a DVR, but spending $80+/month for a service is something I'd like to avoid. Especially if it's only for regular games and Monday night (which are usually sub-par games anyway).

Reactions: JB
As long as the Texans games are always shown on broadcast TV to the local Houston audience, I'm not spending a dime on the NFL.

If, and when, the Texans ever win another AFCS championship or something, I might buy a commemorative hat. Maybe.

If I can't watch it with what I already got it's not getting watched. That said, I can pretty much watch everything.

Between a shared YouTube tv sub, Amazon prime and streams found online, if I want to get it I usually can.

So if you buy that package, can you watch all NFL games? It seems too good to be true.
Yes. All games. However, the out of market games are not live, but the streams are available around 8:00 PM. The Monday and Thursday games are available shortly after.
With the subscription, you can even view the condensed version of the games that takes approximately 45 minutes to watch or watch the game from the All-22 camera angle to see all players on the screen and the development of the plays that you cannot see from the live TV broadcast cameras.

Yes. All games. However, the out of market games are not live, but the streams are available around 8:00 PM. The Monday and Thursday games are available shortly after.
With the subscription, you can even view the condensed version of the games that takes approximately 45 minutes to watch or watch the game from the All-22 camera angle to see all players on the screen and the development of the plays that you cannot see from the live TV broadcast cameras.

Nice! Thanks for the heads up! This might be the be choice for me. :thumbup

When I had game pass, I couldn't watch any of the Texans games live with it

I've used streaming services in the past like Hulu, YouTube TV, etc, but they are getting more and more expensive with each passing year. And forget U-Verse or cable, as they are even more expensive.

Fubo is a streaming service that has "all the sports" - Astros, Rockets, Texans, auto racing, MMA/ boxing, cycling, fitness sports and literally everything else as well as national & local channels and its fairly cheap.

Fubo is a streaming service that has "all the sports" - Astros, Rockets, Texans, auto racing, MMA/ boxing, cycling, fitness sports and literally everything else as well as national & local channels and its fairly cheap.
How is it on other programming?

That's not a problem where I am. So, technically, someone could probably set their VPN to Europe and then watch the games live. Maybe. Not suggesting anyone try it.

But for me, even when I lived in the states, my wife and I would wait about an hour before starting the game. That way we could cruise through commercials. (There were a couple of times that screwed us up because of unexpected changes to the broadcast, but most of the time, it was fine.)

How is it on other programming?
I have FUBO and have enjoyed it. Like @Porky said though, I don't like the menu but I really only watch about 6 channels and you can mark them as favorites and they are all at the top of the menu. I got FUBO because they were the only streaming I could find that had ATTSW for the Astros. Buyer beware though, FUBO does not have TBS or TNT for Astros playoff games. FUBO also has the Red Zone channel (for $5 extra a month) and lots of other sports channels. I'm a junkie too @Porky lol.
So, I have Apple TV as well and have downloaded the Directv app. And I use my dads log in info to get the Sunday Ticket and the TBS/TNT channels when there is something I want to watch, Astros playoff games.
@JB the other programming is fine. Lots of channels.

Thanks for the heads up. I should be able to get local live broadcast with an HD antenna, and then maybe I'll get the game pass for just general football watching. Might not be live, but since I've been using the DVR for years to free up my time, it should be okay for what I want.

That's not a problem where I am. So, technically, someone could probably set their VPN to Europe and then watch the games live. Maybe. Not suggesting anyone try it.

But for me, even when I lived in the states, my wife and I would wait about an hour before starting the game. That way we could cruise through commercials. (There were a couple of times that screwed us up because of unexpected changes to the broadcast, but most of the time, it was fine.)

My biggest issue is picking a VPN, knowing how to set it up, then how to operate. Do you set the VPN up on a European router or is it better to buy a separate router? We’re in Paris, France for another couple of years. Really would like catch live games this season.

My biggest issue is picking a VPN, knowing how to set it up, then how to operate. Do you set the VPN up on a European router or is it better to buy a separate router? We’re in Paris, France for another couple of years. Really would like catch live games this season.
The simplest way to think about this. Using Comcast/Xfinity as your internet provider (ISP)
1. Your VPN will have a list of servers around the world that you can connect to
2. When you start the VPN on your computer, it creates a virtual tunnel
3. Now instead of your network traffic going directly to Comcast/Xfinity, it's redirect through your VPN and the server you picked.
4. So, if you are in Paris, and pick a server in Florida, you get a Florida IP address and all your network traffic appears to originate from Florida and not your computer in Paris
5. Because your network traffic appears to originate from your selected server, you are region independent

The VPN is a service that can run on your computer, router or even your phone. You don't need to buy a separate router.

Last edited:

I'm going to watch a few games on my television set this year. I got a new pair of "rabbit ears" and I think I'm going to spring for the good beer and peanuts too. I've been watching a little bit of the team in the preseason this year and it's been nice. No Bill O'Brien walking around the sideline making bad decisions. Nobody playing too bad or too good. I don't even know more than 3-4 players names. It kind of reminds me of 2002 all over again. We're not expected to be very good and there are a couple of reasons to be optimistic that they'll win more than people expect. Not worried about making the playoffs this year either. I think I might enjoy this for the first time in years!

I'm going to watch a few games on my television set this year. I got a new pair of "rabbit ears" and I think I'm going to spring for the good beer and peanuts too. I've been watching a little bit of the team in the preseason this year and it's been nice. No Bill O'Brien walking around the sideline making bad decisions. Nobody playing too bad or too good. I don't even know more than 3-4 players names. It kind of reminds me of 2002 all over again. We're not expected to be very good and there are a couple of reasons to be optimistic that they'll win more than people expect. Not worried about making the playoffs this year either. I think I might enjoy this for the first time in years!

Yep, this is where I'm at, too. I've got an HD antenna that I'll use to watch games live - or at least until my short attention span gets bored lol - and then Peacock and Amazon will work for TNF and SNF games.

I barely know any names on the Texans right now, so I don't have much expectations for them. Hopefully they'll at least be entertaining.

Yep, this is where I'm at, too. I've got an HD antenna that I'll use to watch games live - or at least until my short attention span gets bored lol - and then Peacock and Amazon will work for TNF and SNF games.

I barely know any names on the Texans right now, so I don't have much expectations for them. Hopefully they'll at least be entertaining.

Like I was saying, It's like 2002 all over again but this time with more realistic expectations. ;)

Back