Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[HoustonTexans.com] All eyes on Faggins and cornerbacks

Texans34Life

I BLEED TEXANS!
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3724&e=rockets34life@gmail.com

“Petey’s our starter,” Kubiak said emphatically. “I believe in him. He’ll be there starting this weekend.

“He’s going to play well. He’s had a few misfortunate plays which happen in football if you’re a corner. That’s part of the business. You’ve got to have a short memory, so I expect him to come back and play well this week.”
Playing is Kubiak’s prescription to cure the problem.

“I think you’ve got to go back and play,” Kubiak said. “I think playing corner in this league is a lot like playing quarterback. You go out and throw three picks or four picks, and the space from being a hero to a goat in this league at that position – there’s not much in between there.

“He’s just got to have a short memory and go back and play. If he gets the ball coming his way, his confidence goes way back up and he starts playing well. We believe in him, and I’m expecting him to play well.”

Faggins feels the same.

“I wouldn’t say there’s anything I can do different,” he said. “I’ve just got to go out there and play more aggressively. I’ve just got to go out and try to make plays. The coaches here are new and they know what they’re doing. They’re not going to make decisions based on one game.”

Cornerbacks Jamar Fletcher and Fred Bennett played more last week and that plan should continue.

“Fletch works inside at nickel,” Kubiak said. “They’re both doing a good job and we’re trying to find a way to get them on the field, whether that’s at nickel or whether that’s base. With Fred, it’s strictly been a hamstring and he hadn’t done much for two weeks until last Friday, and that seems to have changed because he’s gotten better.”

Bennett concurs.

“I’m 100 percent,” he said. “I’m ready to go this week. Thanks to my trainers, they got me right, so I’m ready.”

Bennett won’t predict how much he will play.

“Whatever my coaches want,” he said. “It depends on them how many reps I get. Whatever they want me to do, I just go with the flow.

“The last couple of weeks in practice, they had me in there a little bit, rotating me around. My coach (defensive backs coach Jon Hoke) has been in my ear. He’s been coaching me real hard, preparing me, and I’m just ready to go.”

Whoever plays, the DBs know they must improve.

“We all need to get better, me included,” Fletcher said. “Our whole defense has to step up. But we will. We’re getting better week to week and we will continue getting better.”

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
faggins sucks.

onetheor other hand, he's what we have, so eal with it.

I Iwas sobver, I would type this better. sorry.

It's Friday and I just got back from a nice party and I am not the most sobverof all folksl. LOL

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Kubiak scares me with his blind committment to his players. Faggins is horrible and everyone has been able to see it for years...
It ain't blind.

He supports his players until he has some alternatives.

See e.g. Chad Stanley, any number of running backs that he says nice things about and then plays somebody else the next week.

Basically, in Kubiak land if you are a hard worker and do what the team wants you to do, he will support you publicly even if you really shouldn't be a starter. But he will replace you as soon as he can find a suitable alternative.

As for the horribleness of Faggins, I don't think Kubiak had a very good feel for the team when he first came to it. The first time he spoke at a luncheon, he said that the secondary was a strength of the defense. (This is whan Phillip Buchanon was still with the team).

This off season, they brought in as many CBs as they could, but good CBs don't grow on trees. They wanted someone to beat Faggins out in camp and they didn't.

This off season, they brought in as many CBs as they could, but good CBs don't grow on trees. They wanted someone to beat Faggins out in camp and they didn't.

Funny how Jamar Fletcher subs in for Faggins and all of a sudden Joey Harrington, Roddy White and Michael Jenkins don't play like Pro Bowlers. I geuss this is just coincidence in Kubiak Land.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Funny how Jamar Fletcher subs in for Faggins and all of a sudden Joey Harrington, Roddy White and Michael Jenkins don't play like Pro Bowlers. I geuss this is just coincidence in Kubiak Land.
I don't think it is. I think we're going to start seeing them giving other guys chances out there.

But what would you want Kubes to do? He can't come out and say "Faggins really has let us down. We've supported him and stuck him out there because we thought he was the best we had but he's really been making mistakes that have been killing us"? A coach can't say that. Especially about a corner. Corners get beat occasionally. They have to keep their confidence up. And if he's the best we've got out there, then you really don't want to ruin his morale so that he starts playing even worse.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Jenkins scored on Fletcher twice....I guess there are two verions of the Falcon game somewhere? Hutchins was the S on the one in the red zone but Fletcher was lined up over the slot and Fletcher didn't get a jam and was lost in space on that TD - his coverage was so bad it looked like Hutchins man....Jenkins pounded Fletcher for that other TD...clearly.

Jenkins scored on Fletcher twice....I guess there are two verions of the Falcon game somewhere? Hutchins was the S on the one in the red zone but Fletcher was lined up over the slot and Fletcher didn't get a jam and was lost in space on that TD....Jenkins pounded Fletcher for that other TD...clearly.

That was in the first half when Fletcher was playing the Nickel. When Fletcher moved to corner Atlanta's passing game was mysteriously shut down.

I agree that Fletcher blew the tackle on Jenkins' TD.

IlliniJen

Hall of Fame
So, are we thinking Marty Booker gets about 6 for 115 and a touchdown?

Faggins at CB = career game for crappy #2 WRs.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
So, are we thinking Marty Booker gets about 6 for 115 and a touchdown?

Faggins at CB = career game for crappy #2 WRs.
why worry about Booker when the our team lets the offense dictate who the matchups are? If the Dolphins watch any tape at all they will have Chambers over our CB2 and Booker will be matched up vs Dunta. I can see Chambers with a big day tomorrow if we don't get any pressure..

IlliniJen

Hall of Fame
why worry about Booker when the our team lets the offense dictate who the matchups are? If the Dolphins watch any tape at all they will have Chambers over our CB2 and Booker will be matched up vs Dunta. I can see Chambers with a big day tomorrow if we don't get any pressure..
Here's hoping our D keeps Trent Green on his heels. Trent is a statue back there and I think it's obvious that he's very prone to making mistakes. I don't know if its the players or the schemes, but our D lets bad QBs pick us apart because they get too much time back there and our secondary (save Dunta) is just bad.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Here's hoping our D keeps Trent Green on his heels. Trent is a statue back there and I think it's obvious that he's very prone to making mistakes. I don't know if its the players or the schemes, but our D lets bad QBs pick us apart because they get too much time back there and our secondary (save Dunta) is just bad.
I agree...I'd like to see us bring the house early and "punch them in the mouth" so to speak early on...and then start mixing up coverages and whatnot.