Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston's offensive plan

Meloy

Veteran
How do you see the Texan's O plan developing for Oakland? Down to one running back & Raider's massive dline set to close off middle, do we go with short routes to sidelines by T.E. and Gafney & Armstrong? I would let Bradford & Johnson stretch field and pull d'backs deep to open up mid range area. I do predict a win. :popcorn:

I think by spreading out the offense our passing game could be the key ingredient to win again. The only problem is, our offensive line has kept us from being able to do that.

I can hear Capers now: "The most important things we have to be able to do are run the ball and protect the quarterback." (and take care of the ball)

Personally, I don't think we will be able to run the ball effectively and since the Raiders front seven bring a ton of pressure you will probably see a lot of quick drops and short stuff to Gaffney, Miller, Wells, etc. They may move David around in the pocket a bit otw he'll get killed because the Raiders are going to bring it and bring it hard especially in the obvious passing situations. Attacking the short to mid range zones can help pull the LBs away from the LOS and ease the pressure on Carr somewhat. This won't be an easy game.

Running the ball is a must but it's going to very hard against guys like Warren Sapp and Washington occupying the middle. And if Wells starts our running game may suffer even more, but we'll have to use our TE and spread out the ball. Also Carr's mobility out of the pocket will come in handy.

I gotta agree with aj.

Since both Davis and Hollings probably won't play, they are not going to worry about our running game. The offensive line will get hammered, and Carr will have NO time to look downfield, so you can forget about any passes to the receivers.

Davis was arguably more of a liability than an asset to us in the first 2 games and his playing time was very limited in the third game - our only win. Just a
coincidence ? Wells was very impressive on the 2 point play and he had other moments to. Also, he didn't put the ball on the ground - that's definitely worth something. Of course Davis's absence meant that the RB was no longer the featured guy in the offense, something that a lot of people have been advocating anyway.

I just got back in town and im irked to find out that both our 1 and 2 RB's are out! If this is the fact, given our O-lines recent performance, this one is gonna be tough. The Raider D is gonna bring it on every down knowing Wells cant beat them outside. I pray Carr makes it out unhurt. The age of the little RB may be short lived if the bi-product is cronic fumbles and injuries.

I agree with what's been said, I think the Raiders D is going to bring the house on Carr and it will be another frustrating performance where Carr will be running for his life. If we do indeed go in with Wells starting, Wells will have to prove early that he can hurt the Raiders D even if it's only 3 or 4 yards at a time. If Wells gets shut down it's going to be a long day. I think the weight of this game is on the o-line's shoulders. With DD out Carr is going to be relied upon to keep us in the game, and he can't do that without some protection.

The O-line has been having a tough time putting what they have learned about the new blocking scheme, into actual practice. Learning to use it when we have to play 3 0f the teams in Denver's (who we got it from) conference, is asking a lot. They have been practicing and playing against this type of offense for a lot longer than we have been using it, so that has made it even tougher on us. If Davis and Hollings both have to sit out, we will just have to go with what we got, and scheme around that. I don't know how the new line scheme afffects their pass blocking, but I hope they do double duty this week to get that squared away a little. If we can get the time to throw to AJ, Gaff, and Armstrong, we should give them a good game. The defense has to kick it up a notch, too.

Probably wont need much of the new blocking scheme for this game (only affects the run), but they will need to work hard on the pass blocking scheme. I think we had all better say a prayer for David, because he will be under attack all day by an agresive defense.

The good news that we can take out of all this pressure speculation and questions with the Oline is that this team has dealt with this before over the past two years and has found ways to have success.

Oakland doesn't have the secondary to stop us if we can spread the ball around. They have one excellent DB and one pretty good one. After that, their nickel, dime and safeties are pretty questionable. They can control any two receivers we throw at them, but I don't see how they can cover 3 + Miller/Davis.

Question is (as usual) will Carr have the time to spread the ball around.

Well one thing if for sure, with all this blitzing there will be someone open to pass to, it's up to david to keep his poise and find those people within a few seconds!

... sure would be nice if we had a few 3 step drop timing pass plays,
like Kurt Warner utilized when he was with the Rams--always amazes me
how far down field a fast receiver can get!

Does anyone remember if Washington played when we played against the Pats last year? If so, how they attacked him then might be an indication of their approach, eventhough Carr was out.

If you listen to Carr at this Web site, we have to run the ball. Where have we heard that before!!!!!!!!! Forget this game if that's our plan of attack. Sapp and company will be licking their chops. David has always been a company man. He's spouting what the coaches are thinking. Would you expect anything else from Capers. Looks like DD is out, but their is chance Hollings will be available. I hope he can somehow have a great day, but without them backing off for the pass I don't think he will be able to do anything. I hope I'm wrong. Screens to Hollings or DD should be ideal for an aggressive defense like Oakland. Get Hollings into the secondary, then we will find out if he has any skills.

This pass rush we talk about is why I am glad we faced the KC pass rush last week. Maybe we found some of the things we were doing wrong and can correct them blocking wise. I feel moving Carr around the pocket will open up alot more for us.

How about some 3 step drops, some play action, dump offs to Hollings, Hollings' runs around the corner. If we have success with some of these, the defense will have to respect the other factors. We cannot become a one dimensional team to have success. Simple as that.

Chance_C said:
I was surprised that we didn't use it more against KC in the fourth. I was pleased with the results though.

Probably didn't see it much in KC because the stadium was so loud Carr was having troubles getting off audibles at the line.

Probably didn't see it much in KC because the stadium was so loud Carr was having troubles getting off audibles at the line.

Yeah, you're right. It was very loud, and then very quiet.. :hehe:

Our T.E.s will be our best friend in this game vs. Oakland IMO.

This statement is exactly right! The Raiders will try to rush the passer, knowing if they can get David trying to scramble, the Texans offense will flutter! BUT, and that is a big BUT for our coaches, if we use the middle of the field and exploit their weakness (Their LB's), this will open up the rest of the field. B-Mill and Brew will become key targets early in the game! Also, we cannot be afraid to go deep. Johnson and Woodson will be the key matchup, ALLDAY! They will play man-to-man with Buchanon hanging out over deep routes. So be careful! As for the defense, 2 deep zone. Rush 5-7 on every play. Collins has proven to not handle pressure that well, but he does love the deep ball if you give him enough time. This can hurt the Texans!

Prediction....Our staff still doesn't get it, but the players refuse to let us down!

Texans 27
Raiders 21

I was listening to Carr this morning and he was saying the Raiders will either bring 8 or drop 8 on every play. There's no in-between. Carr's challenge will be to recognize quickly and execute. The line will really need to step up the pass protection and Carr will need to be patient against their deep zones.

3rd Coast Playa said:
yea what about the timing routes, what happened to that. gaff and armstrong are effective route runners, dont know how they are when they get jammed at the line though. it will be intersting how johnson matches up with c dub. man i already know they will bring the house on carr. that will NOT be pretty unless we can organize a couple of screens for their ***, or somethin. hopefully we can come out of this with a win.

FYI, Forgot which program but sports 610 said timing passes are not for strong arm passers like Carr. In this situation, with Carr using his cell phone every series to make sure health insurance is in effect, I think timing plays, quick screens and tight ends should be used a lot. :hmmm:

Back