Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Houston Texans 2017 1st round pick, Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Wow......could all this bad route running be at the heart of Watson holding the ball too long? Ever tried to anticipate a route throw and in the back your mind, you don’t have the warm and fuzzies regarding the receiver being where he needs to be.

Sorry guys (some), you can’t have it both ways.

Could definitely be an issue …. Poor / wrong routes wreck a play in more ways than one.

Watson expecting X and getting Y ...

Routes that work in combination with one another don't work as intended. Picks , rubs , drags …. leading defenders into passing lanes.

We did see an awful lot of plays last year where multiple receivers ended up in close proximity to one another. I don't have the give a damn to go look at every play from last season to see what percentage of those Hopkins was involved in.

Those are obvious poor routes / mistakes , how many others there were we'll never really know but we can say with some certainty that those weren't the only plays that happened on.

Earl34

Veteran
Wow......could all this bad route running be at the heart of Watson holding the ball too long? Ever tried to anticipate a route throw and in the back your mind, you don’t have the warm and fuzzies regarding the receiver being where he needs to be.

Sorry guys (some), you can’t have it both ways.
I have so many questions about Hopkins running the wrong routes. For example
  1. What does it say that the WR with the most experience in O'Brien's offense is still running wrong routes? Is it the system or the player?
  2. Without a regular offseason, will Cobb, Cooks and even Johnson struggle with this offense?
  3. Was O'Brien truthful when he told ownership about Hopkins' route running?
  4. If route running is a constant issue, how much is it contributing to Watson holding the ball or not always throwing with "anticipation"?

Texansballer74

Hall of Fame
  1. What does it say that the WR with the most experience in O'Brien's offense is still running wrong routes? Is it the system or the player?
  2. Without a regular offseason, will Cobb and Cooks and even Johnson struggle with this offense?
  3. Was O'Brien truthful when he told ownership about Hopkins' route running?
  4. If route running is a constant issue, how much is it contributing to Watson holding the ball or not always throwing with "anticipation"?
Earl I talked to my boy and he said that information was false. Hopkins was not running the wrong routes.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I didn’t get the impression they were saying Hopkins didn’t grasp the system. I took it more as since he didn’t practice he wasn’t prepared with that weeks game plan.

But the things they put in to exploit a tendency may not have been executed as they expected

Earl34

Veteran
Earl I talked to my boy and he said that information was false. Hopkins was not running the wrong routes.
The owners would not have any idea if Hopkins was running the wrong routes without O'Brien or Easterby mentioning it. I guess this is another indicator of how weak the ownership group is because it doesn't appear that they asked the follow-up questions, "how can a guy get targeted 125+ times a season and be so productive while running the wrong routes?" or "why are so many WRs running the wrong routes?"

Texansballer74

Hall of Fame
The owners would not have any idea if Hopkins was running the wrong routes without O'Brien or Easterby mentioning it. I guess this is another indicator of how weak the ownership group is because it doesn't appear that they asked the follow-up questions, "how can a guy get targeted 125+ times a season and be so productive while running the wrong routes?" or "why are so many WRs running the wrong routes?"
Bro exactly. This stuff is so comical to me.