Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Houston Texans 2017 1st round pick, Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

OptimisticTexan

Hall of Fame
And if DW4 doesn't enjoy the success many predicted what does that say about BOB?
Nothing....it becomes a direct reflection of OB who will have failed miserably in coaching up 6 (+3) QB's while in his system. I could see Watson doing exactly what Brees did when he was traded to the Saints.....enjoy success in a better system.

banned1976

American
Showcasing for another team who will value him no doubt!! I hope we can at least get a 3rd rounder back for him with OB you never know!

That may be the value O’Brien has placed on Watson. I think there are some people that post regularly on this board that would feel that a 3rd round pick for Watson would be generous compensation. And hey, then the Texans wouldn’t have to pay Watson. After all, that’s an argument they use to validate the trade of Hopkins. And again, I’m all for trading players as long as it’s for equal or greater compensation. But that’s not what has been happening here and I have absolutely no reason to believe trading Watson would fetch much in return.

3 years after Watson was drafted by the Texans, trading Watson is a realistic topic to discuss. I wouldn’t have been surprised back then if someone had told me Watson would be on the trading block, or that we’d be at least talking about that. But I would have assumed it would have been because he greatly failed to live up to expectations. IMHO, he has performed as well as most fans hoped he would, and has been worth the draft capital spent on him. But the only opinion that matters is O’Brien’s and I can’t recall him ever really being overly enthusiastic about Watson’s abilities as a QB.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
good picks..but not quite the same situations. Kurt had to step out/ get kicked out of the NFL for a bit..Young and Favre had to sit the bench and mature.

Drew Brees & Jim Plunkett are probably your best cases.
OK. I guess I don't understand the original question. I thought it was just cases of QBs that succeeded after they left their original situation.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
OK. I guess I don't understand the original question. I thought it was just cases of QBs that succeeded after they left their original situation.
guys who enjoyed success when they went to a better system. Young went to a better system and had a ton of success, but the biggest factor in him becoming what he became is that he sat and actually learned how to play the qb position on that level from 1 of the best for a few years.

Favre just never got a chance under Glanville...& wasnt gonna get 1 under Holmgren either until Majowski went down. Once he got on, he flashed enough to get his shot and never looked back.

plunkett was still largely terrible when he played for Oak, but his best seasons were there and he enjoyed a lot of success B/c he wasn’t asked to be the guy.