Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Houston Texans 2017 1st round pick, Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Earl34

Rookie
Here is a great breakdown of the "kicked in the eye" TD. Chris Simms breaks down the formation in the Patriots' EP terminology. One other point he makes is that the scheme doesn't always give Watson enough easy options and O'Brien should steal plays from other teams. It's a good unbiased evaluation.

Texansballer74

Hall of Fame
Here is a great breakdown of the "kicked in the eye" TD. Chris Simms breaks down the formation in the Patriots' EP terminology. One other point he makes is that the scheme doesn't always give Watson enough easy options and O'Brien should steal plays from other teams. It's a good unbiased evaluation.

Bill O’Brien since the Chiefs victory has mixed in a lot of those underneath short routes. They are not trying to bomb away like they were doing early on. Now they have sprinkled in some misdirection plays and rub routes. Looks like he has finally listened to our begging cries Earl.

Last edited:

Earl34

Rookie
Bill O’Brien since the Chiefs victory has mixed in a lot of those underneath short routes. They are not trying to bomb away like they were during early on. Now they have sprinkled in some misdirection plays and rub routes. Looks like he has finally listened to our begging cries Earl.
Agree. I guess better late than never. Also, along with those plays and rub routes, I was also pleasantly surprised with the formations and personnel groupings. It seems Watson was under center more times on that first drive than he has been under center for entire quarters. There were even a couple of plays with a split backfield with Johnson and Hyde together.

Hopefully this marks the end of O'Brien's version of the Steve Francis ISO offense.

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

amazing. it’s almost like I’ve heard this somewhere before.

Double Barrel

Staff member
Contributor's Club

Very cool analysis. Hire Chris Simms for OC.

We were talking about this early in the season. O'Brien seemed like he had a gameplan of jab, jab, jab, HAYMAKER!. . . but wasn't giving Watson enough variety to keep the defenses off-balance, especially in negating the pass rush.

That seems to have changed lately, but it's a work in process.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
Very cool analysis. Hire Chris Simms for OC.

We were talking about this early in the season. O'Brien seemed like he had a gameplan of jab, jab, jab, HAYMAKER!. . . but wasn't giving Watson enough variety to keep the defenses off-balance, especially in negating the pass rush.

That seems to have changed lately, but it's a work in process.
There were plays to be made. I'm just glad BOB changed the offense to fit Watson.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
Because Deshaun had to grow into the offense and learn how to direct it.

Even last year, Deshaun would go to the line of scrimmage with basically two plays. Based on what he saw, it was his job to get us into the best play. He was still struggling to dial up the right protections last year, but he got better at it as the year wore on.

This year, Deshaun goes to the line of scrimmage with seven or eight plays. Based on what he sees, his job is to decide which play to run. He's gotten better and better this year at dialing up the right play.

This is the offense O'Brien has always wanted to run, but he hasn't had the pieces. He hasn't had the QB with the knowledge, experience, and decisiveness to make the calls, and he hasn't had the players until getting guys like Duke Johnson, Hyde, Fells, and Stills to give the QB the options.

So in previous years, OB has mostly had to dial everything back in order to minimize disasters. I mean, two years ago in DW's rookie season, he had all this stuff going until DW got injured. Then last year, his line was so bad that he had to pull everything back in order to protect DW. Even then DW got hammered mercilessly because the line was that bad and because DW wasn't ready with reading the defenses.

At least, that's the way I see it.
He's still not there, but he's getting there.

Uncle Rico

"getting there"

By the end of the game, Watson become the first player in NFL history with 18-plus pass TDs and 5-plus rush TDs through the first nine games of a season. Enjoy the bye this weekend, Deshaun. You've earned it.

Double Barrel

Staff member
Contributor's Club
There were plays to be made. I'm just glad BOB changed the offense to fit Watson.
It's a natural evolution of the offense with O'Brien and Watson.

Yeah, they are incorporating more RPO concepts and play-action, but Watson is also getting better and better with regards to how to read blitzes and how to get the ball out quickly when needed. He's been given a deeper list of audibles at the LOS, and is recognizing defenses faster with more and more experience. The kid has 32 games under his belt, barely two seasons worth of experience, and he's already considered elite and top 5 by every national media analyst. Out of the current crop of young QBs, only Mahomes and Jackson appear to be on his level.

As of right now, Watson ranks 4th in the NFL in passer rating (107.1), 4th in completion percentage (70.2%), 6th in total yards (2,432), and 3rd in touchdowns (18).

There is absolutely no doubt that he is an elite top-tier QB, and he's only going to get better. This is, without a doubt, the most exciting time to be a Houston pro football fan since I started watching in the 1970's. And it is because we have a franchise QB that has the potential to win championships.

I'm not a huge O'Brien fan, but the clear synergy between him and Watson is the primary reason that I would not advocate getting another HC. It's too disruptive to a young QB development and they clearly have chemistry together. We've got to dance with the one that brought us and hope for the best.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I'm not a huge O'Brien fan, but the clear synergy between him and Watson is the primary reason that I would not advocate getting another HC. It's too disruptive to a young QB development and they clearly have chemistry together. We've got to dance with the one that brought us and hope for the best.
Man, how much would you like to be a fly on the wall when DW has a private convo with a teammate, friend, gf, or whoever else he'd honestly confide in about his HC?

Whether it's good, bad, or whatever in between it'd be pretty incredible to know what the wunderkind legit thinks.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
It's a natural evolution of the offense with O'Brien and Watson.

Yeah, they are incorporating more RPO concepts and play-action, but Watson is also getting better and better with regards to how to read blitzes and how to get the ball out quickly when needed. He's been given a deeper list of audibles at the LOS, and is recognizing defenses faster with more and more experience. The kid has 32 games under his belt, barely two seasons worth of experience, and he's already considered elite and top 5 by every national media analyst. Out of the current crop of young QBs, only Mahomes and Jackson appear to be on his level.

As of right now, Watson ranks 4th in the NFL in passer rating (107.1), 4th in completion percentage (70.2%), 6th in total yards (2,432), and 3rd in touchdowns (18).

There is absolutely no doubt that he is an elite top-tier QB, and he's only going to get better. This is, without a doubt, the most exciting time to be a Houston pro football fan since I started watching in the 1970's. And it is because we have a franchise QB that has the potential to win championships.

Great post

Exactly how I feel, with the caveat he has to be able to stay healthy.

eriadoc

Texan-American
Out of the current crop of young QBs, only Mahomes and Jackson appear to be on his level.

I'm not saying anything bad about Jackson when I say he's not on the level of Watson. He's closer to where Watson was in his rookie season. Watson is a season ahead, in terms of maturing within an offense, developing his soft skills at the position, and being used to the speed of the NFL. It takes 10000 hours to perfect something. These guys come out of college with several thousand hours of work, but the NFL is a different level. It just takes time to grow into that role. That's why, when you see someone that is doing the things Watson is doing while still developing, it's special.

I said last season, I thought if you put Watson in Andy Reid's offense and Mahomes in O'Brien's, you would see similar results but with the name tags flipped. Reid's offense is more helpful to QBs. That isn't intended to diminish what Mahomes has done. But he was put in a more immediate position to succeed than Watson has been. Watson might be the better overall product in a couple years. We'll see.

Those guys are special, so comparing them at this point is splitting hairs, but that's what we do as fans, so game on.

Uncle Rico

hold on ... I thought Bill O'Brien was finally changing up his unstoppable offense THIS YEAR to dumb it down so that this idiot Deshaun Watson can grasp it? You know since Watson has shown so many signs of struggling at the NFL level the final straw came this year? NO? Yes? I'd think you would be pretty confused if you stopped by our 'friendly' community and started reading topics and taking them at face value.

Deshaun Watson took the league by storm last season, pacing all NFL quarterbacks with 19 touchdowns prior to tearing his ACL in early November.
Considering the Texans' smashing success in averaging 39.0 points over a five-game span leading up to Watson's injury, Houston faithful might reasonably expect Bill O'Brien to stick with what worked.
That won't be the case, however, in 2018.

O'Brien is installing an entirely different offense this offseason, the Texans coach revealed to NFL Network's James Palmer at the Annual League Meeting in Orlando.

"Why put in an entirely different offense? He really told me everybody saw what we did with Deshaun this past season," Palmer explained on Wednesday's edition of Up to the Minute Live. "They're changing things and it's not even completely put into place yet. They're still putting it all together.
"And he said the teaching portion of this is going to be the challenge because of Deshaun's specific skill set that is so different and so lethal at the same time. ... But they are changing things up dramatically on the offensive side of the ball."

Three starts into his professional career, Watson was already placing defenses in a pick-your-poison pickle with a play-action running game enhanced by Will Fuller's field-stretching speed, Bruce Ellington's elusiveness in the underneath area and DeAndre Hopkins' ability to feast on single coverage.
Houston's coaches deserve credit for easing Watson's NFL transition by playing to his strengths with a foundation of run-pass option (RPOs), traditional option, play-action and rolling pockets. That said, offenses overly reliant upon misdirection typically come with an expiration date at the highest level of football.

That's not to suggest the Texans will eliminate the portion of the playbook that enhances Watson's playmaking ability and rare instincts, but they will attempt to reduce the risk of injury while throwing fresh looks at opposing defenses.
Football evolution is a history of offensive innovation leading to defensive adjustment. O'Brien has little choice but to stay ahead of the curve before brilliant defensive minds adjust -- as they've done in the past with dual-threat quarterbacks operating in heavily schemed attacks.
Still though it makes it even funnier those weeks that O'Brien cant help himself, and he needs a dose of nostalgia and trots out his 1970s EP Offense with basic route concepts and "3 yards and a cloud of dust" running philosophy. At least now Kelly can reign him in some, and when all else fails Watson can just go Willy Beamen off script and just call his own plays, what is O'Brien going to do cut him? LOL.

Double Barrel

Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm not saying anything bad about Jackson when I say he's not on the level of Watson. He's closer to where Watson was in his rookie season. Watson is a season ahead, in terms of maturing within an offense, developing his soft skills at the position, and being used to the speed of the NFL. It takes 10000 hours to perfect something. These guys come out of college with several thousand hours of work, but the NFL is a different level. It just takes time to grow into that role. That's why, when you see someone that is doing the things Watson is doing while still developing, it's special.

I said last season, I thought if you put Watson in Andy Reid's offense and Mahomes in O'Brien's, you would see similar results but with the name tags flipped. Reid's offense is more helpful to QBs. That isn't intended to diminish what Mahomes has done. But he was put in a more immediate position to succeed than Watson has been. Watson might be the better overall product in a couple years. We'll see.

Those guys are special, so comparing them at this point is splitting hairs, but that's what we do as fans, so game on.
Jackson already has two perfect QB rating games this season (only 2nd player in NFL history to post multiple perfect QBR games in one season). He's a different kind of QB than Mahomes and Watson, but I have no doubt that he's the real deal. And he's young, so he's got years of growth ahead of him. He avoids big hits and is smart with the ball. And with the way they've tailored the offense around him and the ground game in general, the Ravens are going to be a hard team to beat in January.

Someone mentioned this before. Is there a report out saying as much?
Clinton Stoerner and John Harris have been going into depth about it with film study. They mentioned an interview with O'Brien that apparently elaborated on it, as well. I have not heard the interview, but I'll try to find it. Sounds like it was a radio thing.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
Jackson already has two perfect QB rating games this season (only 2nd player in NFL history to post multiple perfect QBR games in one season). He's a different kind of QB than Mahomes and Watson, but I have no doubt that he's the real deal. And he's young, so he's got years of growth ahead of him. He avoids big hits and is smart with the ball. And with the way they've tailored the offense around him and the ground game in general, the Ravens are going to be a hard team to beat in January.

Clinton Stoerner and John Harris have been going into depth about it with film study. They mentioned an interview with O'Brien that apparently elaborated on it, as well. I have not heard the interview, but I'll try to find it. Sounds like it was a radio thing.
If he can stay healthy running that offense I will agree with you. Lets see where he is in 5 yrs. Remember where Vick was and where he ended up and he was in an offense that put him at less risk.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Schoefield is a well-respected QB Draft analyst who regularly writes for the Patriots as well as other NFL teams. Here he presents excellent film study observations of how O'Brien has protected Watson and how teams can exploit Texans' passing game thru Watson's short-comings.

Film Room: Dissecting the Houston Texans’ passing game

What they do well, and what New England can exploit.

By Mark Schofield@MarkSchofield Nov 29, 2019, 8:00am EST

thunderkyss

It's good to be me... again.
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Schoefield is a well-respected QB Draft analyst who regularly writes for the Patriots as well as other NFL teams. Here he presents excellent film study observations of how O'Brien has protected Watson and how teams can exploit Texans' passing game thru Watson's short-comings.

Film Room: Dissecting the Houston Texans’ passing game

What they do well, and what New England can exploit.

By Mark Schofield@MarkSchofield Nov 29, 2019, 8:00am EST
BO'b must have watched a lot of Clemson games to put those together.