Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Houston Texans 2017 1st round pick, Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

frethack

Rookie
After reading the article, I think all the talk about O'Brien not being excited about the Watson pick (based on one photo) is bull. The photo show's O'Brien dialing a number on his phone. I think, at that moment, he was focused on one thing: letting Watson know they were picking him at 12 and welcoming him to the team.
I dunno, man...since when does a photo, representing a whole milisecond of time, not tell the entire story. It has to *at least* tell 1,000 words of that story, right?

/sarcasm

Double Barrel

Staff member
Contributor's Club
After reading the article, I think all the talk about O'Brien not being excited about the Watson pick (based on one photo) is bull. The photo show's O'Brien dialing a number on his phone. I think, at that moment, he was focused on one thing: letting Watson know they were picking him at 12 and welcoming him to the team.
Yep. I always want so substantiate these things with any evidence beyond talking heads and mouths on TVs and radios. They blather stuff like it's factual, when in reality they are not much different than us with regards to speculation and assumptions.

O'Brien has been nothing but positive about Watson since he arrived here. I have yet to see even the slightest ripple of negativity between them in any sort of way. Even when mic'd up by NFL Films, what I see is a coach and player / teacher and student.

O'Brien knows he's got an elite talent at QB. That much is quite evident based on actual interviews and in-game/practice footage of the two in action.

Double Barrel

Staff member
Contributor's Club
DESHAUN WATSON HAS NO OFF SWITCH

It's long, so I won't quote any of it, but it starts off with DW breaking down every hs team he grew up learning about in Georgia as a teen, how he apologized to the reporter he schooled in the presser after the Carolina game, how he's taken to the ridiculous competitiveness of Kobe Bryant and the relentless professionalism of Justin Verlander, to his love of chess, how he wants to play forever, and well ... much more still.

Great piece on a great football player and a great kid.
Fantastic article. Thanks for posting it.

I got goose bumps while reading it. Crazy, I know. But learning that our elite-talent QB is in love with the game of football is just icing on the cake. He's already doing everything right, but now to learn he's got a deep passion for the sport is awesome to read.

And it's not just his love for the game. It's his understanding of it. It's the mind of a football fanatic, remembering ancient stuff from his childhood to diagramming and explaining plays like a coach.

Honestly, this is the first time since I was a kid - i.e. since Earl Campbell - that one player gave me honest and unadulterated hope for our team's future.

Texas Jake

Rookie
Fantastic article. Thanks for posting it.

I got goose bumps while reading it. Crazy, I know. But learning that our elite-talent QB is in love with the game of football is just icing on the cake. He's already doing everything right, but now to learn he's got a deep passion for the sport is awesome to read.

And it's not just his love for the game. It's his understanding of it. It's the mind of a football fanatic, remembering ancient stuff from his childhood to diagramming and explaining plays like a coach.

Honestly, this is the first time since I was a kid - i.e. since Earl Campbell - that one player gave me honest and unadulterated hope for our team's future.
Totally with you on this. Haven't felt like this since I was sixteen and Earl was a rookie.

thunderkyss

It's good to be me... again.
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Except the picture of Rick Smith was after the pick was announced. Watson would have already got the call.

I'm not saying that picture proves anything one way or the other. Just saying O'Brien is not calling Watson at that point.

badboy

Hall of Fame
What matters to me is how the coach is coaching number 4 and how he responds to said coaching. When my team is winning it's even more fun to watch this young QB and his line grow together.

Looks like we did get over on the trades for Duke Johnson and Hyde. If you could eliminate game for Johnson when he had only two carries for 2 yards his average per carry is astronomical. Hope to see him get more attempts as the season progresses.

Texansballer74

Hall of Fame
Phone ringing

Bill O'Brien: Hello RS how have you been?

Rick Smith: I've been doing great. And yourself

Bill O'Brien: Outstanding, man I just want to say, " thank you for picking Watson. He's the real deal.

Rick Smith: I told you the youngster had that it factor Bill. Good luck on the season

Bill O'Brien: thanks

DESHAUN WATSON HAS NO OFF SWITCH

It's long, so I won't quote any of it, but it starts off with DW breaking down every hs team he grew up learning about in Georgia as a teen, how he apologized to the reporter he schooled in the presser after the Carolina game, how he's taken to the ridiculous competitiveness of Kobe Bryant and the relentless professionalism of Justin Verlander, to his love of chess, how he wants to play forever, and well ... much more still.

Great piece on a great football player and a great kid.
Great read, I can see him as a coach easy after he's played 10+ years and won multiple SBs all in a Texans jersey :D In all seriousness though I'm wondering if it wasn't the break down he did of the Pants offense that caused BoB to say "You know what, maybe it is time to shake things up and give the kid more chances to call things. Because if he can break down their defense from the middle of the field like that with only seconds to do it then there should be no reason he can't out play the blitz." It was the very next game that was the Failcons and while they may not have had a good defense it was the perfect chance to give it a trial run before the Chimps game. Honestly if Watson hadn't had a game like that there then we might not have seen a Chimps game like we did.

I don't think Watson was the one BoB wanted I think it was Mahomes. BoB has always been a big arm kind of guy and Watson has a good arm but he's not going to throw a 90 yard pass by just flicking his wrist. I think though as they have worked together and BoB has seen the brain inside that head and the incomparable work ethic his respect has grown and he has seen all that Watson brings to the table even without the cannon arm. As for Watson that article talks about how for him it was the high school and college coaches and players he most followed and BoB's coaching style is much more in line with that then most NFL coaches. Some people say that is old and obsolete and for some players that's true but for other players that style very much appeals to them.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
If anyone subscribes to rumor and behind the scenes information (I am not an insider) but there are people here in our community who would tell you that yes it’s true Bill OBrien DID NOT want Watson, instead pushing for Pat Mahomes. Something to do with the mental ability to diagnose a defense from what I understand. Who really knows though. Rick Smith with his agonal gasp as GM drafted the best QB prospect this team has ever known, and Bill OBrien in career self preservation mode latched on quickly to the young star.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Well, for whatever reason Watson is here, I'm glad we got him and I'm glad the o-line is doing a better job of protecting him. As to whose idea it was to get him here, I don't care. It was either Rick Smith (whom I don't like) or OB (whom I don't like) so either way, someone I don't like got Watson here.

I can handle that.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
If anyone subscribes to rumor and behind the scenes information (I am not an insider) but there are people here in our community who would tell you that yes it’s true Bill OBrien DID NOT want Watson, instead pushing for Pat Mahomes. Something to do with the mental ability to diagnose a defense from what I understand. Who really knows though. Rick Smith with his agonal gasp as GM drafted the best QB prospect this team has ever known, and Bill OBrien in career self preservation mode latched on quickly to the young star.
I read rumors that Rick was running that draft supposedly from zuerlein or someone like that. But I never found a legit source it.

I think there's an obrien interview on how it happened. Rick told him he wanted to trade up and obrien agreed

frethack

Rookie
I read rumors that Rick was running that draft supposedly from zuerlein or someone like that. But I never found a legit source it.

I think there's an obrien interview on how it happened. Rick told him he wanted to trade up and obrien agreed
I have a feeling it went more like what youre saying.

Its possible that RS exerted more influence over that draft, but there is no way that he was running it without the input of his coaches. When making arguments, people too often revert to binary thinking because it is an easier position to argue from. The reality is that there is nuance to consider as well.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
I heard this rumor too. Obviously RS was the final voice.

If true BOB has done a fine job with a QB that wasn't of his choosing.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
I have a feeling it went more like what youre saying.

Its possible that RS exerted more influence over that draft, but there is no way that he was running it without the input of his coaches. When making arguments, people too often revert to binary thinking because it is an easier position to argue from. The reality is that there is nuance to consider as well.
I'm just glad we dont have to have this discussion anymore. We know who's calling the shots now and the Texans org is better off for it. This is the best on field product they've had since 2011 and it may even be better than 2011 if they can stay healthy and growth from the QB/young OL continues.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
Well, for whatever reason Watson is here, I'm glad we got him and I'm glad the o-line is doing a better job of protecting him. As to whose idea it was to get him here, I don't care. It was either Rick Smith (whom I don't like) or OB (whom I don't like) so either way, someone I don't like got Watson here.

I can handle that.
Who do you like #Grumpyoldman.

LOL

frethack

Rookie
I'm just glad we dont have to have this discussion anymore. We know who's calling the shots now and the Texans org is better off for it. This is the best on field product they've had since 2011 and it may even be better than 2011 if they can stay healthy and growth from the QB/young OL continues.
I grudgingly agree with you. The test will be to see how long our window is open, but with 4 we should always be in the playoff mix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Agreed, for better or worse there is no more finger pointing or "X is to blame for Y happening". If it goes great then props to BoB, if it goes bad then we can rightfully call for his head. No more "anchors" or "fall guy" or "makes him look good" its all on him now including if Devlin, RAC, Kelly or whoever suck.

Mr.Scarface

Waterboy
BoB may have wanted Mahomes and Watson was choice #2. Doesn't mean BoB didn't want Watson. I think O'Brien found that Watson was a better fit with HIM after getting Deshaun in the building. I'm sure BoB is thanking the STARS how things turned out.

"You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, well, you might find
You get what you need" - Rolling Stones

Double Barrel

Staff member
Contributor's Club
Honestly, who really cares if Watson was O'Brien's first choice.

Belichick passed on Brady for five rounds. SO???

What matters is what they do with that talent.

Regardless of what we think about O'Brien, Watson clearly loves the guy. And it seems like the feeling is mutual.

I loved the story from that article about Watson's predraft visit to Houston and smirking at O'Brien after he taught the play back. Watson's confidence is badass.

Mr.Scarface

Waterboy
It's not that he didn't want Watson, he preferred Mahomes (as did most of the league) because of his big arm. Watson was Rick Smith's preferred choice. When Mahomes went at 10 (didn't make it to 12), the choice was easy.

Rick Smith waited 10 years to draft a QB.....when it was needed much earlier.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
I grudgingly agree with you. The test will be to see how long our window is open, but with 4 we should always be in the playoff mix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
This is what I've been trying to say since the Tunsil trade. Protect 4 and the future is bright. Dont protect 4 and you have nothing regardless of how many draft picks you have.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
Agreed, for better or worse there is no more finger pointing or "X is to blame for Y happening". If it goes great then props to BoB, if it goes bad then we can rightfully call for his head. No more "anchors" or "fall guy" or "makes him look good" its all on him now including if Devlin, RAC, Kelly or whoever suck.
Do you find it interesting that this is the 1st yr that BOB's obviously in charge and the teams personnel has not only improved, but there's actually some depth on the roster for the 1st time?

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
It's not that he didn't want Watson, he preferred Mahomes (as did most of the league) because of his big arm. Watson was Rick Smith's preferred choice. When Mahomes went at 10 (didn't make it to 12), the choice was easy.

Rick Smith waited 10 years to draft a QB.....when it was needed much earlier.
Agreed, RS didn't want to give up what it would take to get Mahomes. (Two 1sts and a 3rd) So after that the Watson pick was a no brainer after trading up. I wanted them to trade up for Mahomes at the time.

The finally drafting a QB after 10 yrs was RS biggest failing. Bigger than sucking in the draft in rds 2-4.

Do you find it interesting that this is the 1st yr that BOB's obviously in charge and the teams personnel has not only improved, but there's actually some depth on the roster for the 1st time?
I like the moves made so far don’t get me wrong but getting talent is one thing, keeping them is another. The real GM test, to me at least, is resigning all your key players and doing it in such a way you don’t put yourself in cap hell. Giving up draft picks doesn’t bother me as much as some, the primary purpose of the draft is to improve the roster. The cheap rookie contracts are just there as basically insurance against busts. So if you trade picks but made clear upgrades to the roster then you have used those picks for what they are meant for. There is the question of price but value or slight overpay is still acceptable.

BoB MAYBE good as getting talented players but I’m not ready to say he’s a good enough numbers guys and wheeler, dealer to keep them. However that is a problem for next season and hopefully by then we will have a GM, maybe Caserio, who can wheel and deal. BB can get away with being rigid on his price and cutting players on a whim because he’s Belichick. No other coach can get players on pedigree alone, the rest have to pony up the cash and we have a lot of cash to pony up.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Phone ringing

Bill O'Brien: Hello RS how have you been?

Rick Smith: I've been doing great. And yourself

Bill O'Brien: Outstanding, man I just want to say, " thank you for picking Watson. He's the real deal.

Rick Smith: I told you the youngster had that it factor Bill. Good luck on the season

Bill O'Brien: thanks
More likely: phone ringing in Bill's pocket.

Smith: "Bill? Bill? Dang he still will not listen to me!"

badboy

Hall of Fame
As for 'prospect at draft' as you indicate, that would have to be 1.1 pick David Carr. Now as for after game 1 of regular season you would be right in my opinion.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
I like the moves made so far don’t get me wrong but getting talent is one thing, keeping them is another. The real GM test, to me at least, is resigning all your key players and doing it in such a way you don’t put yourself in cap hell. Giving up draft picks doesn’t bother me as much as some, the primary purpose of the draft is to improve the roster. The cheap rookie contracts are just there as basically insurance against busts. So if you trade picks but made clear upgrades to the roster then you have used those picks for what they are meant for. There is the question of price but value or slight overpay is still acceptable.

BoB MAYBE good as getting talented players but I’m not ready to say he’s a good enough numbers guys and wheeler, dealer to keep them. However that is a problem for next season and hopefully by then we will have a GM, maybe Caserio, who can wheel and deal. BB can get away with being rigid on his price and cutting players on a whim because he’s Belichick. No other coach can get players on pedigree alone, the rest have to pony up the cash and we have a lot of cash to pony up.
Believe me when I tell you that Tunsil will be re-signed.

Some will have to go some will stay. I believe Tunsil vs losing draft picks is worth it. 2 reasons for this is they should have 4 top 100 picks inside the top 100 and I have faith after seeing the 2018 draft that they will be able to fix the secondary and add a edge/RB.

It's really all about if you think they can hit in the draft and with the cap increasing everything will end up better than the naysayers believe.

Well I am an Optimist, so I am excited. I haven't done any Research before this draft, the only college game I watched was the second half of the last title game. And although that was supposed to be his shining Moment, I felt like I saw a kid, that does well in college, but won't be a good pro. I didn't like the accuracy or his reads. But then again, I am far from being a Talent evaluator.

After the pick I did some Research. I love his character - although he does seem a Little simple minded, he has this Aura about him, hardworking, Team first, natural leader, thrives when the lights are brightest. That is one of the Things I value most in a QB: being clutch. Eli made a Career out of that. He isn't really a great QB, but he can put on another gear when the game is on the line.

I don't like giving up 2 firsts for him
. That is a steep Price and next years draft will be sad... but without a real QB you go nowhere, and you can't find one, if you don't try. I feel like he gives us a good shot. Now let's see if we one the lottery...

During the Draft announcement, O'Brien showed no excitement. He was aloof to his surroundings His high five was response to Smith's initiation of the gesture. He certainly wasn't going to ignore Smith's gesture. That would be like having someone offer a handshake and looking at his hand without offering yours. Then in the presser O'Brien showed no animation...........not the typical sparring
or joking with the media when he is excited about something. He said the obligatory nice things about a nice kid (which he very much is). But, no, this was not O'Brien's pick, and he made it clear to those who have followed him closely. He did not get his QB........the one that can see clearly over giant OL, is not closely acquainted with interceptions, can burn in and consistently hit medium to long passes, and can stand in there and use his pocket for something other than storing change, in contrast to running around through the tulips waiti
ng to be pancaked for a quick trip to the hospital

I literally had a dream that we moved up in the draft to get DeShaun Watson. When I woke up, I thought there's no way that is ever gonna happen, Rick Smith is too conservative for that. And then it di
xcited for his future here in Houston and I really look forward to seeing him play. I'm betting he relieves Savage within 2 games of the regular season.
On the other hand cramming four years of schooling into three WHILE being a national champion QB. That's damn impressive and if nothing else shows the kid works hard and has a brain in that head of his. I'm actually really encouraged to hear that he finished college early.

Let me put it to you this way people, in the last three years The Texans Boardroom answer to the QB position has been Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brandon Weeden, Brian Hoyer, Tom Savage, Ryan Mallett, T.J. Yates, Brock Osweiler. What in the hell makes you think they can pick a QB now? The spaghetti will stick? Blind Squirrel Theory? A broke clock is right twice a day? Each time they try to fix the position it only gets worse. The only reasons I mentioned the shoes and the Jag is because it fits my theory that 3 year QBs do it for the money which could be a flaw in reasoning and decision making. There are a lot more reasons why Watson may not succeed that don't have to do with a theory.

He was surrounded with a lot of talented football players including Mike Williams who will make any QB look good. Watson played from a spread offense, most of his passes were predetermined, he didn't go through progressions, did not make anticipatory throws. Watson was 19th in Passing Efficiency, 33rd in Yards per Pass Attempt and 72nd in Passing Yard per Completion. It was primarily dink and dunk and bubble screens.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/740/p3

A 45 MPH change up is not conducive to making tight window throws in the NFL, to the contrary. His longer passes need more air to cover the distance which is highly susceptible to INTs in the NFL. These are some of the primary reasons why I am not pleased with trading up to draft DeShaun Watson. In 2011 Bob McNair put the Houston Texans in salary cap Hell. In 2017 Bob McNair put the Houston Texans in Draft Hell. I'm afraid that this draft and off season will set the Texans back another 3 years. The way I see it, for the last three years The Texans have been living off of Wade Phillips Defense.

Texian you have to promise us you'll start a crow eating thread IF Watson becomes what we think he will be. Your passion is legit but my man you need to try some kool aid every once and a while. It's not healthy drinking what your drinking
Of course he didnt, you cant even find him now days.. watsons a magician. he made him disappear

Uncle Rico

Of course he didnt, you cant even find him now days.. watsons a magician. he made him disappear
@DanielTx has all the receipts!!! Its fun looking back on these threads and uniting a members persona with his posts. Too often when people are wrong they will fight and claw and look for excuses as to why THEY WERENT RIGHT!! Instead of just saying they were wrong, and learn something new or any number of more positive things. Its why plenty of people get turned off by this place. You dont even know what is true or opinion.

Rick Smith didnt consult with Buttchin about Watson, its why he was so angry that day, but I would guess he likes this job enough to swallow hard and make it work. Im POSITIVE if Deshaun Watson were to play the Bill OBrien card and say "its either him or me" that Mr Buttcrack McQuack would be out of here faster than Gerrit Cole after WS game 7.

OBrien should be very, very nice to #4 - his job is riding on it!!

Rick Smith made the move without letting anyone know what he was going to do.

Last edited:

Mr.Scarface

Waterboy
@DanielTx has all the receipts!!! Its fun looking back on these threads and uniting a members persona with his posts. Too often when people are wrong they will fight and claw and look for excuses as to why THEY WERENT RIGHT!! Instead of just saying they were wrong, and learn something new or any number of more positive things. Its why plenty of people get turned off by this place. You dont even know what is true or opinion.

Rick Smith didnt consult with Buttchin about Watson, its why he was so angry that day, but I would guess he likes this job enough to swallow hard and make it work. Im POSITIVE if Deshaun Watson were to play the Bill OBrien card and say "its either him or me" that Mr Buttcrack McQuack would be out of here faster than Gerrit Cole after WS game 7.

OBrien should be very, very nice to #4 - his job is riding on it!!

He didn't let anyone know he was going to trade up, but O'Brien knew Mahomes and Watson were the QB targets because both spent time with the coaching staff. The Texans were going take a QB, but the trading up wasn't know because they didn't know how the draft would shake out.

He was not angry. You are basing on that one picture where O'Brien was looking at his phone. Come on now, you are not that dense. O'Brien wanted Mahomes, but was fine with Watson.

Also, Smith had told the Browns that if the player they wanted was there at 12, he would give them a call to move up. This was done after the Brock trade.

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

He didn't let anyone know he was going to trade up, but O'Brien knew Mahomes and Watson were the QB targets because both spent time with the coaching staff. The Texans were going take a QB, but the trading up wasn't know because they didn't know how the draft would shake out.

He was not angry. You are basing on that one picture where O'Brien was looking at his phone. Come on now, you are not that dense. O'Brien wanted Mahomes, but was fine with Watson.

Also, Smith had told the Browns that if the player they wanted was there at 12, he would give them a call to move up. This was done after the Brock trade.
Link?

Texansballer74

Hall of Fame

"So we want to have some fun," Watson continued. "Do some misdirection motions and slow some people down and kind of get them looking in directions that the ball's not going. So, yeah, I mean, you got to give credit to OB and Tim Kelly and all the offensive staff."

Deshaun Watson Credits a Group of Offensive Minds for the Evolving Houston Texans Offense

Patrick D. StarrNov 4, 2019

Last edited:

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Why'd it take so long? We've been saying this is what we need to do more of three years ago.
Because Deshaun had to grow into the offense and learn how to direct it.

Even last year, Deshaun would go to the line of scrimmage with basically two plays. Based on what he saw, it was his job to get us into the best play. He was still struggling to dial up the right protections last year, but he got better at it as the year wore on.

This year, Deshaun goes to the line of scrimmage with seven or eight plays. Based on what he sees, his job is to decide which play to run. He's gotten better and better this year at dialing up the right play.

This is the offense O'Brien has always wanted to run, but he hasn't had the pieces. He hasn't had the QB with the knowledge, experience, and decisiveness to make the calls, and he hasn't had the players until getting guys like Duke Johnson, Hyde, Fells, and Stills to give the QB the options.

So in previous years, OB has mostly had to dial everything back in order to minimize disasters. I mean, two years ago in DW's rookie season, he had all this stuff going until DW got injured. Then last year, his line was so bad that he had to pull everything back in order to protect DW. Even then DW got hammered mercilessly because the line was that bad and because DW wasn't ready with reading the defenses.

At least, that's the way I see it.