Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Houston Texans 2017 1st round pick, Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
The rumor came from OB not having the play calling sheet on the sideline. Tim Kelly had it (supposedly). I haven’t been able to go back and try to verify it.

Thunder has mentioned it. As did someone else. There’s a photo on here in one of the threads. Feel free to look for it
I will when I get back in town on Wednesday.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The rumor came from OB not having the play calling sheet on the sideline. Tim Kelly had it (supposedly). I haven’t been able to go back and try to verify it.

Thunder has mentioned it. As did someone else. There’s a photo on here in one of the threads. Feel free to look for it
Both of them have had the "menus" during games........O'Brien and Kelly communicate with each other re building the game plan via microphone during games on certain open channels, but O'Brien calls in plays to Watson via microphone on a designated channel which is limited in times.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Tweet from @riversmccown: "He really did an awesome job of managing the offense, he ran the show. Whoever sends the play in sends the play in. He runs the show out there. He did a good job of managing formations and personnel groupings and plays and he had a great day." -- BOB on Watson https://t.co/pR70hVJdDi
That's just him giving credit to DW for operating the offense on the field after the plays are called in.

Sounds like he's trying to downplay his play selection vs Deshaun's qb'ing more than anything.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
DW4 said it himself, just be more consistent. Only thing I could say negative on DW4 this week is how he carries the ball a bit loose, but that was a performance for all time. Monster game, leadership, and can anyone have more fun than him on the field, just brings his teammates along

JB

Old Curmudgeon
Contributor's Club
DW4 said it himself, just be more consistent. Only thing I could say negative on DW4 this week is how he carries the ball a bit loose, but that was a performance for all time. Monster game, leadership, and can anyone have more fun than him on the field, just brings his teammates along
That carrying the ball a bit loose helped to an amazing, much needed, first down

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
So is everyone back to loving #4 again this week? Hopefully he can continute to walk on water every few days to reel in the strays.

#JesusWithCleats
Nope some just understand that he needs to improve many things. Consistency being the number 1 thing.

BOB simplifying/changing the offense is a good start in the right direction.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
That carrying the ball a bit loose helped to an amazing, much needed, first down
Did you all see in the Tunsil interview him talk about that play. He is like that just don't happen except with my guy. I watched it again and Tunsil had a front row seat for that. DW4 is such an athlete and then he has top level football IQ and leadership. We are very fortunate to have him and be able to watch him every week

Earl34

Rookie
Sarah Barshop‏@sarahbarshop
Deshaun Watson was not sacked by the Falcons’ defense, marking only the second time in his career he has not been sacked in a game. The only other time was Week 8 of the 2018 season against the Dolphins. The Falcons only had one quarterback hit.

1:27 PM - 6 Oct 2019
Here is a another stat. In the two games game he was not sacked, Watson has thrown FIVE TDs in each.

zshawn10

All Pro
.@Danny_Heifetz on why Deshaun Watson is the best QB on the planet … when he gets some protection. https://t.co/DORz4jgcZp

— The Ringer (@ringer) October 7, 2019

Watson finished with 28 completions on 33 pass attempts for a career-high 426 yards (12.9 yards per attempt), no turnovers, and a perfect 158.3 passer rating. He had the same number of incompletions (five) as passing touchdowns and became the first player in NFL history with more than 400 yards, five passing touchdowns, and fewer than six incompletions in a game. Crucially, Watson was sacked zero times and hit just once in the game, which is a rarity for the player who led the league in sacks last year and was the third-most sacked QB entering Sunday… When the Texans protect Watson, he’s one of the best athletes on the planet.

Part of keeping Watson off of the ground is on Watson himself. One of the strongest predictors of sack rate, other than a bad offensive line, is how long a quarterback holds onto the ball. The longer a QB holds onto the ball, the longer a line must block, and the quarterbacks who hold onto the ball to make plays—Watson, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott, Aaron Rodgers, and Josh Allen—are among the most sacked in football. Houston’s offensive line has to jell with Watson as much as they have to jell with each other, and a performance like this is encouraging. As long as Deshaun is upright, the Texans have one of the best offenses in the league—and if they protect him next week in Kansas City, they’ll have the chance to prove they are the best offense in the league.

Max

Veteran
Watson being great when he gets protection is a chicken and egg thing IMO. He also 'gets protection' when he's getting rid of the ball quicker which is a product of emphasizing it in practice, and calling the game that way - or 'coaching' for short. Notice how much easier this is for the OLine than the deep pattern crossing route stuff we've been running.

DHop hussles back out of motion and loses his man to convert on 3rd.
dhop.gif [/ATTACH]

Stacking receivers allowing DHop to clear the defender out.
WFuller.gif [/ATTACH]

Naked boot. Yes, we did run a little of Watson's rookie year offense -- just as we have all last year and this year. This wasn't the difference in this game, it was all the other quick throws. But yes, please keep this in the game plan as it works and Watson is quite capable of running this without getting hurt as he did in this play.
Watson.gif

How many SB's has TB won w/ an offense featuring plays like this next one? More of this please.
DHopMiddle.gif

Teams aren't always going to be as easy to pick apart as Atlanta was if we continue to call this type of game, but we will always have our best opportunity to win with this style football. This needs to be our identity. We just need our coach to throw the multiple crap out the window and figure that out.

frethack

Rookie
Watson being great when he gets protection is a chicken and egg thing IMO. He also 'gets protection' when he's getting rid of the ball quicker which is a product of emphasizing it in practice, and calling the game that way - or 'coaching' for short. Notice how much easier this is for the OLine than the deep pattern crossing route stuff we've been running.

DHop hussles back out of motion and loses his man to convert on 3rd.

Stacking receivers allowing DHop to clear the defender out.

Naked boot. Yes, we did run a little of Watson's rookie year offense -- just as we have all last year and this year. This wasn't the difference in this game, it was all the other quick throws. But yes, please keep this in the game plan as it works and Watson is quite capable of running this without getting hurt as he did in this play.

How many SB's has TB won w/ an offense featuring plays like this next one? More of this please.

Teams aren't always going to be as easy to pick apart as Atlanta was if we continue to call this type of game, but we will always have our best opportunity to win with this style football. This needs to be our identity. We just need our coach to throw the multiple crap out the window and figure that out.
^^^This x1000

The scheme was altered to allow for quick throws and blitz beaters. Thats how you get the tight ends out on routes and maximize Watson.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This can't help but be a big part of his success yesterday:

Deshaun Watson's average time to throw was just 2.43 seconds on Sunday. That's the fastest average time to throw in a game of Watson's career, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. Through Week 4, Watson averaged 2.92 seconds before throwing, the fourth-longest average in the NFL.

amazing80

Fire Billy O

Deshaun Watson's average time to throw was just 2.43 seconds on Sunday. That's the fastest average time to throw in a game of Watson's career, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. Through Week 4, Watson averaged 2.92 seconds before throwing, the fourth-longest average in the NFL.
Of course it’s the reason. Better routes ran and called allowed him to make quick throws.

CPTTexan

Waterboy

It's amazing what half a second can accomplish.

thunderkyss

It's good to be me... again.
Staff member
Contributor's Club
^^^This x1000

The scheme was altered to allow for quick throws and blitz beaters. Thats how you get the tight ends out on routes and maximize Watson.
Did the Falcons even blitz? If I watch this one again I'm going to have to watch how they handled blitz pickups.

I didn't get the feeling of overload blitzing on every down like we've been seeing.

mws

Waterboy
Did the Falcons even blitz? If I watch this one again I'm going to have to watch how they handled blitz pickups.

I didn't get the feeling of overload blitzing on every down like we've been seeing.
Not very much. In fact they rushed 3 several times including on 3 of Watson's TD passes.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

This has been one of the complaints on Watson …. And the playcalling.

Killed two birds with one stone.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Average time is now 2.82.

It’s dwindling down.

We can only hope that Deshaun learns from this game and realizes how good he is, when he can play decisive.
Part of that "being decisive" is quicker developing routes …. rather than trying to go 15+ yards deep on every route on every play.

That Carolina game - even Watson explained in the post game presser why what they were doing didn't work , yet they kept doing it - They kept running head first into two deep safety's keeping everything in front of them.
They didn't change the way they attacked and it continued to be successful.

What's the definition of insanity ? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result ?

mws

Waterboy

76Texan

Hall of Fame
On 3 of those plays they only rushed 3. Which means they had 8 in coverage and Watson still found an open man.

On 1 play they rushed 2 and dropped 9. Coutee still came open.

Don't know if this means the Texans are just that good or that the Falcons defense sucks that bad.
Like I've suggested in another post, not to take away from the Texans' offensive output, but
the Falcons defenders were constantly out of position, resulting in wide-open looks.
And with no pressure on the QB, it becomes pitch and catch.

zshawn10

All Pro
  • Texans QB Deshaun Watson became the first player to throw for 400+ yards and 5+ TDs with 5-or-fewer incompletions in a game in NFL history.
  • He became the 3rd QB to post 400+ pass yards, 5+ TDs & a 158.3 passer rating in a game, joining Nick Foles (2003) & Jared Goff (2018).
  • Texans QB Deshaun Watson is one of 10 QBs in NFL history to record 400+ passing yards and complete 80+ percent of their attempts.
  • Watson also became the 2nd player in NFL history to record 400+ passing yards, 5+ touchdowns and 40+ rushing yards in a game (Boomer Esiason, 1986).
  • QB Deshaun Watson posted the highest quarterback rating in #Texans history (158.3) & threw for career-high 426 yards (3rd-most in team history).
  • Watson led Houston to the 2nd-most points (53), 2nd-most net yards (592) & 3rd-most passing yards (426) in a game in team history.
  • Texans QB Deshaun Watson has three games with 5+ TD passes, the most in the NFL since 2015.
  • He is the 6th QB in NFL history to record three games with 5+ TD passes & no INTs, joining Drew Brees (7), Tom Brady (6), Peyton Manning (5), Ben Roethlisberger (5) & Aaron Rodgers (4).

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
DESHAUN WATSON HAS NO OFF SWITCH

It's long, so I won't quote any of it, but it starts off with DW breaking down every hs team he grew up learning about in Georgia as a teen, how he apologized to the reporter he schooled in the presser after the Carolina game, how he's taken to the ridiculous competitiveness of Kobe Bryant and the relentless professionalism of Justin Verlander, to his love of chess, how he wants to play forever, and well ... much more still.

Great piece on a great football player and a great kid.

Texas Jake

Rookie
DESHAUN WATSON HAS NO OFF SWITCH

It's long, so I won't quote any of it, but it starts off with DW breaking down every hs team he grew up learning about in Georgia as a teen, how he apologized to the reporter he schooled in the presser after the Carolina game, how he's taken to the ridiculous competitiveness of Kobe Bryant and the relentless professionalism of Justin Verlander, to his love of chess, how he wants to play forever, and well ... much more still.

Great piece on a great football player and a great kid.
I got on here to post the very same article, but you beat me to it. Great read and confirms that we have the right guy playing QB. The more I learn about Watson, the more impressed I am with him as a player, competitor and as a person. He is becoming my favorite Houston athlete of all time.

Texas Jake

Rookie
After reading the article, I think all the talk about O'Brien not being excited about the Watson pick (based on one photo) is bull. The photo show's O'Brien dialing a number on his phone. I think, at that moment, he was focused on one thing: letting Watson know they were picking him at 12 and welcoming him to the team.