Lose the Ads, Upload Media Directly into the Forum!

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Houston Texans 2017 1st round pick, Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

thunderkyss

It's good to be me... again.
Staff member
Contributor's Club
"This guy is a winner - I don't think anyone can argue with that," coach Bill O'Brien said. "When I met him at the combine, he was a very poised guy, answered the questions very honestly, good memory, good recall of plays in his college career.

"When he came here to meet with us - our whole offensive staff - he was able to learn plays and teach them back to us."

"When you watch the college tape, there are so many things he did well throughout his career," O'Brien said. "When the chips were down, he was able to lead the team to victory. That says a lot about a quarterback."

O'Brien made it clear when he met with the media on Thursday night that Tom Savage is the starter. Brandon Weeden is the backup. Watson will watch and learn and won't play before he's ready.

"Tom is our starter," O'Brien said. "For a rookie quarterback, it's a big jump (to the NFL). Deshaun is going to work hard, and we're going to teach him and feed him a lot of information."

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Deshaun Watson was my dream pick so I can't complain.

If you can get a QB who is a difference maker there is no price high enough.

Time will tell if he is that difference maker but till then I'm on board.

I remember watching that national championship game against Bama where he lead his team back from the brink .... thinking Damn , sure would be nice if the Texans could land this kid. It'll never happen ....

After evaluating him during the draft process he wasn't my favorite .... and I was to the point where I didn't want him because I didn't think he was an NFL QB , maybe without that comeback against Bama he's trying to find a position in the NFL , not being drafted as a 1st round QB ....

I really hope I was wrong in that evaluation .... and he makes me feel like I did watching that comeback against the Tide many times during his career.

thunderkyss

Staff member
Contributor's Club
I just don't like him because of his tendency to dab during celebration. I hope one day with therapy I will be able to overcome that
I wonder if they'll fine him for the bow & arrow thing he likes to do.

Last edited:

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
My biggest issue with him is if he tries to run like he did in college he'll get squished like a bug. Kid better learn how to navigate the pocket consistently and when he does scramble occasionally he better know how to slide and get down. Those plays are exciting, but he's not the size of Cam Newton.

thunderkyss

Staff member
Contributor's Club
Being a huge fan of Deshaun, I'm ecstatic that we were able to somehow snatch him in the first round. However, I never imagined is trading up that high to get him. Here's hoping he's everything we've waited for!

I'm all in...
I'm surprised the Texans actually took one of the top rated QBs. I knew they weren't going to take the guy everyone wanted... & I didn't expect them to trade up. I figured they'd trade out of the first & get Kizer.

I'm starting to believe Watson was the guy they targeted. I read the article where Rick said the basics of the deal was already in place well before the draft. I read another saying the Texans were locked on Watson since he came to visit.

That said, if that's their guy I have no problem trading our 2018 first to move up 13 spots. That actually sounds like a pretty good deal.

Last edited:

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
I like what OB has said about how well he learnt the system and how quickly he adjusted to Texans verbiage and systems.

I think OB sees him as teachable which will be a massive factor, given the questionable relationship OB and the Brockening had

SAMURAITEXAN

All Pro
I wanted someone else being that said. I don't know anything about evaluating QB talent so, I trust our FO's decision. (Hope, he is the one not like last time around)
WELCOME to the Houston Texans Deshaun Watson!!!

Go Texans!!!

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
I wonder if Rick and Bill were on the same page .

I wonder if the Texans think the future is now so trading some future picks is no big deal . The defense and some key components are really good now .

I can't help but think this pick is for the next coach .

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Anybody else check out signal (NFL NETWORK) from Texan war room while everyone waited for the pick to be announced?

Rick was standing front and center, very ecstatic while O'Brian remained seated, next to him, head down on his phone. Not sure if he had just finished or was about to talk with Deshaun?

Texian

Hall of Fame
Anybody else check out signal (NFL NETWORK) from Texan war room while everyone waited for the pick to be announced?

Rick was standing front and center, very ecstatic while O'Brian remained seated, next to him, head down on his phone. Not sure if he had just finished or was about to talk with Deshaun?
Yep, I saw it Rick and Cal were yucking it up and O'Brien remained stone faced staring at his phone.

Uncle Rico

Pro BS'er
"This guy is a winner - I don't think anyone can argue with that," coach Bill O'Brien said. "When I met him at the combine, he was a very poised guy, answered the questions very honestly, good memory, good recall of plays in his college career.

"When he came here to meet with us - our whole offensive staff - he was able to learn plays and teach them back to us."

"When you watch the college tape, there are so many things he did well throughout his career," O'Brien said. "When the chips were down, he was able to lead the team to victory. That says a lot about a quarterback."

O'Brien made it clear when he met with the media on Thursday night that Tom Savage is the starter. Brandon Weeden is the backup. Watson will watch and learn and won't play before he's ready.

"Tom is our starter," O'Brien said. "For a rookie quarterback, it's a big jump (to the NFL). Deshaun is going to work hard, and we're going to teach him and feed him a lot of information."

Yeah bro, but you know "too many picks".

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
If the Texans slide bigly this year and have a top pick next year , it's the Browns pick . I'm not sure they couldn't have picked Watson at 25 .

Having said all this I hope he becomes a pro bowl QB .

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
Clearly not O'Brian pick. More like Rick & Cal. At least that was my takeaway but I didn't stay @ a Holiday Inn last night either.
Rick probably ask Bob McNair if it was ok for him and Cal to go down to the Texans store and get Watson jerseys . Bob said sure . Rick turned to Bill and asked him if he wanted one . Bill looked up and said , shut up .

Grams

Veteran
Not a pick I would have made, but then like the rest of us, we are not in the position to make draft picks. All we can offer is an opinion.
At the end of the day he is a Texan and I wish him the best. Hopefully he will be the QB that we all have been waiting for here in Houston. We probably will not know that for a season or two and I am willing to give him the opportunity to show us.

One thing I really like about this young man is that he does not quit. He does not disappear in big games or in the 4th quarter.

Welcome to Houston Deshaun!

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
Clearly not O'Brian pick. More like Rick & Cal. At least that was my takeaway but I didn't stay @ a Holiday Inn last night either.
Considering O'Brien's track record with "his" QBs, that might not be a negative. Like I said in the other thread, Mayock said the Texans were enamored with Watson from the beginning.

I'm just glad the Texans didn't trade up for that crappy Air Raid QB. Andy Reid is going to regret that

usernameJJ

Waterboy
I literally had a dream that we moved up in the draft to get DeShaun Watson. When I woke up, I thought there's no way that is ever gonna happen, Rick Smith is too conservative for that. And then it did!

I'm not putting him in Canton just yet as BOB likes to say but I am excited for his future here in Houston and I really look forward to seeing him play. I'm betting he relieves Savage within 2 games of the regular season.

Seegara

All Pro
All I can say is, they damn well better draft another QB as well, one who can look over all receivers and throw consistently on target. Peterman is still there, or maybe some unknown the coaches have been following.

Texian

Hall of Fame
All things considered the Texans may have been better off signing Tajh Boyd who is currently a free agent. :)

pirbroke

Veteran
One thing I hate about draft coverage is all they talk about is the 1st round qb's. But finally we are one of "those" teams. It's like constant barrage of Texans news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pirbroke

Veteran
I'm warming up to the kid, I sure hope he works out. Because we sure in hell ain't drafting one high next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zshawn10

All Pro
PFF is optimistic on Watson:

• The Houston Texans made a big trade Thursday night, forfeiting their 2018 first-round pick to move up 13 spots and draft QB Deshaun Watson out of Clemson.
  • Time is running short in Houston after another failed experiment at quarterback by Bill O’Brien’s regime.
  • The team were desperate for a signal-caller after giving up on Brock Osweiler after a disastrous season.
  • Watson could legitimately claim to be the top quarterback in this class, but his fit in Houston appears awkward.
  • Bill O’Brien runs a pro-style offense with deeper drops to test intermediate coverage.
  • In contrast, Watson played in a spread style attack at Clemson, relying on a number of short drops and quick-hitting passes to get into a rhythm.
  • Overall, the Tigers called 3-step drops on 45.1 percent of snaps in 2016, almost four times as often as Houston (12.2 percent).
  • Further highlighting the difference, Watson averaged a time to throw of 2.28 second, significantly faster than Houston’s quarterbacks’ average of 2.66.
  • One of Watson’s greatest assets is his accuracy on throws around the line of scrimmage; 14.1 percent of his passes were wide receiver screens in 2016.
  • Houston rarely employed the quick game last season, with Bill O’Brien calling wide screens on only 1.9 percent of plays.
  • Slow starts were a problem for Watson at times in 2016 – in particular in games against Troy, Georgia Tech, and Florida State – but once he found his rhythm, he was unstoppable.
  • Watson’s intelligence and work ethic suggests he can adapt to the Texans’ requirements, but his new head coach must tweak his offense to maximize his production.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
My biggest issue with him is if he tries to run like he did in college he'll get squished like a bug. Kid better learn how to navigate the pocket consistently and when he does scramble occasionally he better know how to slide and get down. Those plays are exciting, but he's not the size of Cam Newton.
THis is also one of my greatest concerns............it's very difficult to break a "runaround" QB once in the NFL............the instinct is built in.............his frame will not take punishment in the pocket. He will not live through a rag tag OL.

thunderkyss

Staff member
Contributor's Club
Good read for Texans fans & Watson supporters. & if David Shaw's opinion mean anything to you...

Stanford coach David Shaw categorized Watson behind Andrew Luck and Jameis Winston among the best quarterbacks to turn pro in recent years. Shaw recalled doing a study for Jon Gruden while he was Oakland’s quarterback coach prior to the 2001 Draft. Gruden wanted him to compile the fourth-quarter statistics of the top prospects. An undersized kid from Purdue had by far the best of those numbers, and Drew Brees ended up putting forth a pretty solid career. “When you watch in the biggest games in the fourth quarter, there’s no comparison,” Shaw says of Watson. “He’s the best quarterback in the nation and maybe the best quarterback in the draft in the last couple years.”
I honestly don't know the first thing about Deshaun Watson. This article makes me feel really good about the pick & more certain the starting job is Watson’s to lose.

thunderkyss

Staff member
Contributor's Club

He was probably texting Savage Watson’s itinerary & contact information so he isn't late picking our new starting QB up from Hobby.

Man's got sht to do. Can't be bothered with face time on espn

amazing80

Fire Billy O
Good read for Texans fans & Watson supporters. & if David Shaw's opinion mean anything to you...

Stanford coach David Shaw categorized Watson behind Andrew Luck and Jameis Winston among the best quarterbacks to turn pro in recent years. Shaw recalled doing a study for Jon Gruden while he was Oakland’s quarterback coach prior to the 2001 Draft. Gruden wanted him to compile the fourth-quarter statistics of the top prospects. An undersized kid from Purdue had by far the best of those numbers, and Drew Brees ended up putting forth a pretty solid career. “When you watch in the biggest games in the fourth quarter, there’s no comparison,” Shaw says of Watson. “He’s the best quarterback in the nation and maybe the best quarterback in the draft in the last couple years.”
I honestly don't know the first thing about Deshaun Watson. This article makes me feel really good about the pick & more certain the starting job is Watson’s to lose.
Those are quotes from some big time head coaches. Watson has me excited.

thunderkyss

Staff member
Contributor's Club
Did you see the presser? I don't think Bill was towing the company line. ObsiWan posted a link to the presser in the "Dump O'Briens Offense" thread. I'm sure it's on ht.Com by now as well.

amazing80

Fire Billy O
Did you see the presser? I don't think Bill was towing the company line. ObsiWan posted a link to the presser in the "Dump O'Briens Offense" thread. I'm sure it's on ht.Com by now as well.
OB is just a crab apple in general. I think he hates the media.

He was excited for Watson and he didn't bat an eye when Smith referred to making the decision with OB TWICE during his presser. There is no way we mortgaged the future on a QB without the entire organization (Smith, McNair and OB) all being on board.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
OB is just a crab apple in general. I think he hates the media.

He was excited for Watson and he didn't bat an eye when Smith referred to making the decision with OB TWICE during his presser. There is no way we mortgaged the future on a QB without the entire organization (Smith, McNair and OB) all being on board.
then same applied to Osweiler

amazing80

Fire Billy O
then same applied to Osweiler
Correct, and I have no doubt he wanted OS then too. The problem was they didn't actually sit down with him to make sure he would vibe with OB. He didn't, so it made for a very poor relationship.

You ever stop to consider they brought Watson and Mahomes in for 2 days to make sure they could gel with our coaching staff and team? They went the extra mile to ensure they know what they were getting. Let's hope it pans out. (I think it will)