Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Hopkins might be available....

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club

I have a friend that used to work with the team, and he mentioned that they were considering trading Hop as a way to recoup some of the draft capital they lost in the Tunsil trade. There is some concern about how well Hop will play as he ages. I didn’t want to post anything as I’m sure I would have been roasted, but with this article coming out I thought I’d share what I heard to let you guys know that there may be more than just smoke with this

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Hopkins has a old man's game built around great skill, his game was never about speed.. He's going to put up numbers for a lot more years.

They better get some serious compensation in a Hopkins trade, not the crap they got for Clowney.
My thoughts exactly. His game should age well. Everyone has a price... but trading Nuk would take a lot for me to approve.

This would sting, no other WR on this team is as reliable (catching and availability) plus knows this offense as well as he does. If it were to happen, can you imagine the effect on Watson and the offense. Most of the time, I would agree that all personnel and positions are evaluated for today and tomorrow. Right now his value should be high and his contract is not bad but the compensation would have to net the Texans a great haul. I think 1 good interior OL and an above avg RB this offense should explode with Nuke. Take Nuke out then all bets are off. Just for giggles, who would make a good trade partner, based on other team's needs and their available assets?

Check out this link on WR trades: The most significant wide receiver trades of all time

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
this is absolutely disgusting. that it was even a thought and furthermore evolved to this point would make it the most stupid personnel move in Houston Football history. wow. just wow.

Maybe if OBrien was better at this personnel game he wouldnt have given up all the draft stock to begin with and then crippled himself further by giving his practice heroes top 5 positional money all over the team.

"you have to give Bill OBrien a chance, he's ONLY gotten 6 years - just need to purge a few more Rick Smith guys and then he will REALLY be able to get to work!!"

how can anyone with a straight face debate that this man is good at contract mapping or identifying what talent is worth keeping???

Lets remember OBrien tried to turn Hopkins into a slot guy last year!!

Emperor OBrien will play his fiddle as this franchise burns.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
After the Clowney and Tunsil tranactions last year I wouldn't say anything is out of the question with O'Brien in control, an he is most certainly in control as the teams
HC & GM.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
What is this crap that his game won't do well in the future? This is based on who's analysis? A guy that doesnt use freakish speed to get open is more likely the opposite who should have the skillset to play well for a long time similar to Larry Fitzgerald who is style is the most like.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
this is absolutely disgusting. that it was even a thought and furthermore evolved to this point would make it the most stupid personnel move in Houston Football history. wow. just wow.

Maybe if OBrien was better at this personnel game he wouldnt have given up all the draft stock to begin with and then crippled himself further by giving his practice heroes top 5 positional money all over the team.

"you have to give Bill OBrien a chance, he's ONLY gotten 6 years - just need to purge a few more Rick Smith guys and then he will REALLY be able to get to work!!"

how can anyone with a straight face debate that this man is good at contract mapping or identifying what talent is worth keeping???

Lets remember OBrien tried to turn Hopkins into a slot guy last year!!

Emperor OBrien will play his fiddle as this franchise burns.
I'd agree that watching OB navigate his first off-season will give me the same jitters as he has as the HC/OC over the past 6 seasons.

As for Hopkins, I'd be the first to say that I wouldn't be put off by moving Hopkins inside to the slot. Now the move couldn't happen unless there was bonafide answer for the outside. The 2020 WR class could certainly provide an answer....or the team could look to the FA market for a plu-n-play veteran. My choice would still be Emanuel Sanders. I'd move Fuller to WR1, have Sanders at WR2 and put Hopkins at WR2, WR3 or SWR mostly to keep him on the field and create amazing mismatches. With teams having to account for Hopkins from the slot, it's gong to free up either Fuller or Sanders or both if teams feel more confident trying to use single coverage while focusing their attention on Hopkins. I think Hopkins would be killer effective in the slot.

OB may take any notion of this off the table if he truly has a desire to move Hopkins to regain some of the draft capital he used to obtain Tunsil and Stills.

Uncle Rico

I'd agree that watching OB navigate his first off-season will give me the same jitters as he has as the HC/OC over the past 6 seasons.

As for Hopkins, I'd be the first to say that I wouldn't be put off by moving Hopkins inside to the slot. Now the move couldn't happen unless there was bonafide answer for the outside. The 2020 WR class could certainly provide an answer....or the team could look to the FA market for a plu-n-play veteran. My choice would still be Emanuel Sanders. I'd move Fuller to WR1, have Sanders at WR2 and put Hopkins at WR2, WR3 or SWR mostly to keep him on the field and create amazing mismatches. With teams having to account for Hopkins from the slot, it's gong to free up either Fuller or Sanders or both if teams feel more confident trying to use single coverage while focusing their attention on Hopkins. I think Hopkins would be killer effective in the slot.

OB may take any notion of this off the table if he truly has a desire to move Hopkins to regain some of the draft capital he used to obtain Tunsil and Stills.
Im just trying to sit here and soak it all in. OBrien kept Roby over Reader. He gave Mercilus top 6 OLB money. He made Fairbairn the 3rd highest paid K. Martin is a top 3 paid center. BMacs bloated deal. How can this guy be the man in charge of contract negotiations and personnel identification? That is where the biggest concern was with giving ONE MAN all the control. We are now at the mercy of his vision, and there is nothing at all in his body of work to give anyone confidence moving forward.

Putting Nuk in the slot negates all his playmaking ability with a congested field. The guy is Spider Man and his talent is fully captured when its him vs another defender one on one - high pointing the ball. Move him into the slot and he's a possession receiver. Its crazy. He's a first team All Pro wideout, what is OBrien going to do - threaten DeAndre Hopkins that he will only be able to throw the ball to him 40 times if he doesnt move to the slot??? Why even entertain this idea to give Kenny Stills more looks?? With the leak of this information you've LOST LEVERAGE and possibly pissed off one of the best players you have.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

I have a friend that used to work with the team, and he mentioned that they were considering trading Hop as a way to recoup some of the draft capital they lost in the Tunsil trade. There is some concern about how well Hop will play as he ages. I didn’t want to post anything as I’m sure I would have been roasted, but with this article coming out I thought I’d share what I heard to let you guys know that there may be more than just smoke with this
Just imagine if NE or KC got him. :(

mussop

Hall of Fame
We’re not getting two first round picks for DeAndre Hopkins **** is honking when this Could arguably be when the top wide receiver draft class of all time

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Its crazy. He's a first team All Pro wideout, what is OBrien going to do - threaten DeAndre Hopkins that he will only be able to throw the ball to him 40 times if he doesnt move to the slot???
This is a lame reference considering the fact that you're trying to refer to AJ when he was totally done and he threw a fit over the reality of it at the end of his career. That was actually one of the smart things that OB did in this franchise. It definitely wasn't AJ getting the last laugh.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
The offense struggles when the #2 WR is out and they are contemplating trading their #1 WR? It doesn't take much imagination to see how this plays out.

OptimisticTexan

I know...I was just givin you the business because I've yet to see OB create "amazing" mismatches.
No problem austin23......but you're 100% correct in the fact that OB just doesn't have a clue on how to utilize the tools he's been given or obtained.

badboy

Hall of Fame
As said before I am a Texans team fan first then individual player second. I am open to discussing any offer(s) and IMO odds not with Houston going to SB as is. Moving him to slot is okay but he will be beaten up even more. Yeah some teams will give up to get a confirmed two consecutive All Pro (one of 2 best WR in NFL) rather than chance a rookie. Same with my threads on Tunsil and Watson. Raiders first team I think of sitting on 1.12 and 1.19.

Dang we just got RB David Johnson!

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Still trying to catch my breath. They better not let Nuk get away, not unless they're going to trade Watson as well. Watson depends on Hopkins to dump the ball to when he can't spot an open receiver and is running out of time. If it's contested, Nuk is the favorite to come down with the hog hide.

OptimisticTexan

Ahhhhhhhh shite, OB dropped the soap -yet again- with other NFL GM's in the same shower. I'm just trying to figure out who was playing the banjo during this ordeal while Steve Keim was yelling, "I'm going to make you squeal like a pig OB"!!!!!!!

Last edited:

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Kudos to @otisbean for posting this before the trade.
Thanks! I thought about mentioning it when I first heard about it but I knew no one would believe me and I would have been roasted. One other point to share, apparently some of Coutee’s issues stemmed from Hops practice habits. Hopkins didn’t practice a ton, mostly due to being banged up, his skill level and his experience in the system. Coutee would say things like “why do I have to practice if Hop isn’t practicing”. As you can imagine, this didn’t sit well with the staff. Hop is top 5 at his position and had 6 years experience in the offense, Coutee is a young player that has had some nice moments but really hasn’t done crap. I wonder what he’s thinking now?

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

Bleacher Report – and, really, everyone else covering the league – named the Houston Texans’ decision to trade All-Pro wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins as the “worst” move of the offseason.

Uncle Rico

Bleacher Report – and, really, everyone else covering the league – named the Houston Texans’ decision to trade All-Pro wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins as the “worst” move of the offseason.
give it a few years, it will earn its historically incompetent grade when Nuk is helping Arizona become more than a mediocre cesspool.

RGV82

Random guy

The Cards had a good draft and upgraded their defense, and look solid on offense.... they could be a surprise team this year.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
give it a few years, it will earn its historically incompetent grade when Nuk is helping Arizona become more than a mediocre cesspool.
Yep. One of the worst trades I've ever seen as an NFL fan. As a Texans fan, I find it repulsive and idiotic (to put it "nicely").

King Billy will leave this franchise as a cesspool when he's done. And the McNairs deserve it for giving him so much undeserved and unearned power.

As for the fans in Houston, we are destined to be eternally stuck with a history of chump owners like Bud Adams and Cal McNair. "Deserve" has got nothing to do with it.