Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Hines Ward is interesting as another stellar player young in his coaching career. I’d like to see him cutting his teeth for an NFL team rather than Florida Atlantic if considering for HC though… maybe he’ll be an option to bring on the next coaching staff?

Joe Lombardi is interesting as a Sean Payton disciple. I think his offense would mesh well with Mills. It didn’t work out in his first stint as an OC with Lions/Stafford but Chargers/Herbert offense looked good last season.

whodknee

Working Class Hero
What the hell do the last two pages have to do with Headcoaching candidates? Ya'll take your bickering and start a new bickering page and load it up. This page is about Head Coaching candidates.
I think it means what Head Coach would want to be part of this Hot Mess

Texian

Hall of Fame
What the hell do the last two pages have to do with Headcoaching candidates? Ya'll take your bickering and start a new bickering page and load it up. This page is about Head Coaching candidates.
The Morlocks and the Kool Aid Brigade have commandeered the thread. They do that sometimes. Especially at the beginning of FUBAR season.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I personally don't love that. That is my problem with either Mayo or Flores.

Not that I love McDaniels, but we don't have to worry about that side of the ball with him. And it allows Lovie to remain in place as DC, which would be great long-term because he will be 63 this May and will not get another HC job, most likely.

A dark horse who I would love to have is Brian Daboll. Came up with Nick and Easterby in NE, I think they all share the same agent, and he has proven his worth as a play-caller and developer of QB's in Buffalo.

texanhead08

All Pro
I don't understand why they have to make a huge announcement every time they interview someone. Are they going to make the same announcement when coaches turn them down ?

whodknee

Working Class Hero

Not that I love McDaniels, but we don't have to worry about that side of the ball with him. And it allows Lovie to remain in place as DC, which would be great long-term because he will be 63 this May and will not get another HC job, most likely.

A dark horse who I would love to have is Brian Daboll. Came up with Nick and Easterby in NE, I think they all share the same agent, and he has proven his worth as a play-caller and developer of QB's in Buffalo.
Daboll is my choice. But I don’t think will happen

mussop

Hall of Fame
Houston is going to be a first...
McDaniels as HC/Offense
Flores as HC/Defense
Pep as OC
Mayo as DC

Coaching staff/Player ratio to be 3/1 or less
I don’t see a need for Flores in this scenario. I would be fine with the rest. This is what I have believed is going to happen for some time now. so I’ve already kind of accepted it. just ready to know.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

thing with him is he’s shown his worth as a playcaller with the unique talent he has in Buffalo; Josh Allen. What is his playcalling going to look like with a Mills……who he won’t be able to utilize like he does with Allen. He ain’t gonna be running QB jet sweeps with Mills.

further his previous stops in Miami and KC as OC…less than desirable results.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
thing with him is he’s shown his worth as a playcaller with the unique talent he has in Buffalo; Josh Allen. What is his playcalling going to look like with a Mills……who he won’t be able to utilize like he does with Allen. He ain’t gonna be running QB jet sweeps with Mills.

further his previous stops in Miami and KC as OC…less than desirable results.
If we eliminate everyone with poor results we would never hire anyone.

I do get your point though. I think you would hope he has grown into what he is now and really is dialed in as a coach who can replicate his success at his next stop. And let's not forget, Mills is much more athletic than given credit for.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It's speculation at the moment. For all we know Flores or Mayo would bring in Kafka from KC.

Not that I love McDaniels, but we don't have to worry about that side of the ball with him. And it allows Lovie to remain in place as DC,
McDaniels probably bring Baby Belichick or Jarod Mayo as his DC. Most likely won't keep Lovie as most HC like to hire their own staff.

Number19

Hall of Fame

I like Daboll. Seeing what he's done at Buffalo, he's replaced McDaniel at the top of my wish list.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Daboll is my #1 choice as well but it looks like it’s probably down to either Flores or Mayo. Unless Caserio surprises us with some crazy/unexpected hire.
We can't read the NFL talking heads like they really know what's what in these situations. They're just speculating & fishing for clicks.

They might back it up with convincing reasons. But it's just speculating at this point

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
If we eliminate everyone with poor results we would never hire anyone.

I do get your point though. I think you would hope he has grown into what he is now and really is dialed in as a coach who can replicate his success at his next stop. And let's not forget, Mills is much more athletic than given credit for.
I’m sure he has grown as a coach…but his offense and playcalling imo is a little too dependent on what Allen is able to do as a as monster runner he has under center. Take that unique ability away and how does his playcalling and overall offense look? Like Cam in 2015..but once that dude stopped being able to do what he was doing as a runner, the offense went to ****.

Mills is athletic, but he’s not the type of physical runner and prescence Allen is. Allen adds a whole different dynamic.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Hines Ward? What the...

Florida Atlantic WR coach Hines Ward interviewed for the Houston Texans head coach position.

This came as a bit of a surprise, especially since Ward has never held a coordinator position before. The former Steelers great was on the Jets staff in 2019 as an assistant before spending 2020 as the team's wide receivers coach. The move to interview Ward shows that the Texans are leaving no stone unturned and it will be worth keeping an eye on to see if Ward gets any other NFL interviews.
So @CloakNNNdagger says that Jack is no longer interviewing head coach candidates? I hope he's wrong, because I can't explain this any other way.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I’m sure he has grown as a coach…but his offense and playcalling imo is a little too dependent on what Allen is able to do as a as monster runner he has under center. Take that unique ability away and how does his playcalling and overall offense look? Like Cam in 2015..but once that dude stopped being able to do what he was doing as a runner, the offense went to ****.

Mills is athletic, but he’s not the type of physical runner and prescence Allen is. Allen adds a whole different dynamic.
Who is your favorite candidate?

Texansballer74

The Marine
anyone who’d be fine taking a chance at landing a very exclusive job where you can get fired and walk away with a multimillion dollar severance package that’s who.
I told my buddy earlier today the same exact thing. Not only that if the next coach were to come in here and turn this turd show around. He will get all types of praise.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Hines Ward? What the...

So @CloakNNNdagger says that Jack is no longer interviewing head coach candidates? I hope he's wrong, because I can't explain this any other way.
The best way I can explain it is maybe Jack has replaced Korn Ferry as the search firm and instead Jack is now providing an acceptable list of candidates who can be interviewed for head coach. Have you heard if the Texans have hired Korn Ferry for their head coach search like they always have? I haven't. This is news the Texans have always announced before, and they have not this go around. You got to applaud the savings of $750K.

Last edited: