Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
So, if Mills struggled or Tyrod gets hurt in Week 14 instead of 2. Then McDaniels would not be interested in joining the Texans?
If Mills ended up being a bust McDaniels saved himself a year of accountability.

Which Mills could still be a bust. We will find out next year. And if he is then McDaniels will get to draft his QB. Year 2 for McDaniels instead of 3.

McNairs love giving out mulligans.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
There are a couple of McNair siblings that run Bob McNair's financial empire and I would bet they are ready to tar and feather Game Boy Kyle.
Oh come on. You’re a smart guy. You know this franchise makes more money every year then you and I can wrap our head around. As long as they field a team every year and play out the season the siblings have nothing to ***** about. Burning non-cap money should be of no concern to us fans and the consensus on this board is just that. I agree with you on some things but this is a criticism reach.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Oh come on. You’re a smart guy. You know this franchise makes more money every year then you and I can wrap our head around. As long as they field a team every year and play out the season the siblings have nothing to ***** about. Burning non-cap money should be of no concern to us fans and the consensus on this board is just that. I agree with you on some things but this is a criticism reach.

It's an NFL franchise. They all make money. I think his point is it makes half the revenue it could.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
You're missing the point here, it's somebody's money and that somebody are the McNair Family members whose pockets are a lot lighter especially after they spend another $50MM for a new HC in the coming days. The family is basically watching somebody flush millions of THEIR dollars down the drain. The fiscally responsible siblings are probably grinding their teeth and spitting mad.
As dumb as they are, this didn’t hurt the team.

Just their pocketbook.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So, if Mills struggled or Tyrod gets hurt in Week 14 instead of 2. Then McDaniels would not be interested in joining the Texans?
Probably not,

But who thought from the beginning that Tyrod was going to be the starter all yr, even if he stayed healthy. This yr was from the beginning about seeing what they have in Mills. They liked what they saw and think he's their QB of the future. Even though there's a faction of fans and on this MB that disagree with this, it doesn't matter, it's about what THEY believe.

What I wonder is if Mills continues to grow will these fans ever come around to thinking Mills is the future. After yrs on this MB I'm guessing for some this will never happen. Same with all of the Foxboro hate, some fans will never except the team is in a better place even if they win a SB.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Probably not,
That's my point. So, using one of your favorite phrases (lost years). If Mills did not show he "might" be the guy. How many "lost years" were you willing to endure while waiting on McDaniels? Because just last year, you were complaining about the future lost years that will be created by Derrick and/or Ricky.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The dude could be purple and from Mars for all I care if he can win Superbowls.

But I know you are talking about Mulughata and not color of the head coach.
Yes, Mulageta is a big reason what this franchise is having to rebuild. (I'm liking the rebuild BTW, and the Texans will eventually be better off for cutting ties with Derrick and rebuilding)

But no, I dont want anything to do with Mulageta or his clients. They're more trouble than they're worth and usually have character flaws. Why do you think Flores was fired after being somewhat successful in Miami? Ego and the ego thingy seems to be a common thread in all of Mulageta's client base.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Schefter say Jerod Mayo will emerge as the leading candidate to take the top job in Houston. It doesnt hurt that he's close to both Caserio and Easterby.

The guy has only been a coach for 3 years and that as an inside linebacker position coach.

Does anyone seriously think someone with this limited experience is going to move straight to the top as a head coach?

No, no, no.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The guy has only been a coach for 3 years and that as an inside linebacker position coach.

Does anyone seriously think someone with this limited experience is going to move straight to the top as a head coach?

No, no, no.
But but he’s never been a coordinator! He’s not “qualified”!!!

bet the numbskulls on 610, 790 and the rest of the media don’t mention anything about it…b/c they’ll like this hire.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's my point. So, using one of your favorite phrases (lost years). If Mills did not show he "might" be the guy. How many "lost years" were you willing to endure while waiting on McDaniels? Because just last year, you were complaining about the future lost years that will be created by Derrick and/or Ricky.
All of this is in the past because Mills IS the guy that THEY think is the future. Hope he's the guy because if he's not then there will be many more lost yrs and a regime change sometimes in the next 5 yrs.

The reason I thought the Derrick yrs were going to be lost yrs is because I thought he was a top 10-12 QB that was going to be paid like a top 5 QB. That would limit the cap space that could be used to get the players needed to win a SB. This is why I was hoping to trade Derrick to the Chargers for Herbert on his rookie deal.

Fast forward, we've got a promising QB on a rookie deal. High draft picks in atleast the coming draft, probably the next 2 drafts and if/when Derrick's traded probably a boatload of more young players/picks to add even more star level players. This doesn't even take into account the cap savings and money that will be available to be spent on FA's.

The Texans were forced to alter the trajectory of how they've been doing business since their inception and if Mills is the guy the Texans will have gotten lucky (1st time in franchise history that sentence has been typed.) and the team will be in a much better place for the trouble Derrick caused this franchise. The future is bright, even if Mills isn't the guy, but the timeline will be sped up if he's the guy.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Number19

Hall of Fame
OK, just to be on record, my preference is McDaniels. First, because I think Caserio could work things out to have the least disruption to the team. With McDaniels I believe Lovie could remain the DC. Second, I simply want the HC to have an offensive background rather than a defensive background. I believe Caserio is wanting to continue with the New England offense and McDaniels has years experience in this as NE's offensive coordinator. I'm hoping PH could be retained as OC/qb coach.

I'm still thinking it could be Flores but my preference is McDaniels.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
OK, just to be on record, my preference is McDaniels. First, because I think Caserio could work things out to have the least disruption to the team. With McDaniels I believe Lovie could remain the DC. Second, I simply want the HC to have an offensive background rather than a defensive background. I believe Caserio is wanting to continue with the New England offense and McDaniels has years experience in this as NE's offensive coordinator. I'm hoping PH could be retained as OC/qb coach.

I'm still thinking it could be Flores but my preference is McDaniels.
I'm hoping for McDaniels. He will hire his own staff.

My hopes are the offense staff looks something like this

McDaniels HC
Pep OC
McCown QB's
Kevin Faulk RB's
Ben McDaniels WR's
Scarnnechia OL/Run game coordinator with an OL asst to help Scarnnechia with the day to day operations.

Keep Lovie and the defensive staff together.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
All of this is in the past because Mills IS the guy that THEY think is the future. Hope he's the guy because if he's not then there will be many more lost yrs and a regime change sometimes in the next 5 yrs.

The reason I thought the Derrick yrs were going to be lost yrs is because I thought he was a top 10-12 QB that was going to be paid like a top 5 QB. That would limit the cap space that could be used to get the players needed to win a SB. This is why I was hoping to trade Derrick to the Chargers for Herbert on his rookie deal.

Fast forward, we've got a promising QB on a rookie deal. High draft picks in atleast the coming draft, probably the next 2 drafts and if/when Derrick's traded probably a boatload of more young players/picks to add even more star level players. This doesn't even take into account the cap savings and money that will be available to be spent on FA's.

The Texans were forced to alter the trajectory of how they've been doing business since their inception and if Mills is the guy the Texans will have gotten lucky (1st time in franchise history that sentence has been typed.) and the team will be in a much better place for the trouble Derrick caused this franchise. The future is bright, even if Mills isn't the guy, but the timeline will be sped up if he's the guy.
Ridiculous post

Texian

Hall of Fame
Oh come on. You’re a smart guy. You know this franchise makes more money every year then you and I can wrap our head around. As long as they field a team every year and play out the season the siblings have nothing to ***** about. Burning non-cap money should be of no concern to us fans and the consensus on this board is just that. I agree with you on some things but this is a reach.
Rich people are about making money NOT flushing their wealth down the toilet. If you've an alcoholic brother who is flushing part of your income down the crapper because of complete incompetence you're going to have something to say about it. Rather forcefully I might add. If you believe things are hunky dory and a bed of roses at the McNair family gatherings that's a bit naivete. This could be the straw that gets the McNairs to sell the team.

Texian

Hall of Fame
There's something comical in this post alright. Comical in the fact that Janice owns the team and she/Cal signed off on this plan and the other siblings will just have to deal with it. In short, until her death none of what the other siblings want doesn't matter at all.
This post is not comical, it's naivete and not knowing the reality of the situation.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Rich people are about making money NOT flushing their wealth down the toilet. If you've an alcoholic brother who is flushing part of your income down the crapper because of complete incompetence you're going to have something to say about it. Rather forcefully I might add. If you believe things are hunky dory and a bed of roses at the McNair family gatherings that's a bit naivete. This could be the straw that gets the McNairs to sell the team.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Caserio could ask him to give Smith a season….especially if a few assets could be added to the defense. Hamilton also has a working knowledge of these players and could be a solid influence on Mills.

Caserio could also sale the job to McDaniels and Flores that the team is in the first phase of the rebuild and keeping some familiar coaches around the team could help with either of their transition.
This is a horrible mish mash.

We have a horrible offensive scheme but are committed to it. We have no OC.
A small number of people have been effective with the scheme. One of those is Josh McDaniels. If you have to have the scheme, you have to have Jmac. It’s the only hope of it working out (and even then it’s slim).

The thought of bringing in a really good defensive coach who runs a different scheme to our decent DC, and then the possibility of having to overhaul defensive personnel again when you’ve just begun to find some guys who fit. That would truly waste the last year in my mind.

Pep doesn’t fill me with confidence as an OC, he’s good at the job he’s been doing.

And now we have Mayo getting some chatter in the media. A guy who’s going to jump from LB coach under Belichick to running the show for a mess of a franchise.

Think we are barking up the wrong tree with Mayo or Flores. Hope I’m wrong.

Mangler

Toro de España
I don’t know about that. The devil you know is usually better than the devil you don’t.

I could see someone buying the Texans and moving them.

Just because that is Houston Football luck.

We had winners in the XFL Houston Roughnecks and what happens? A plague.
Not to mention the Titans suing the XFL because the Roughnecks (oil derrick) logo looked similar to the Oilers logo. As if we needed anymore reasons to hate the Titans!

Mangler

Toro de España
Yes, Mulageta is a big reason what this franchise is having to rebuild. (I'm liking the rebuild BTW, and the Texans will eventually be better off for cutting ties with Derrick and rebuilding)

But no, I dont want anything to do with Mulageta or his clients. They're more trouble than they're worth and usually have character flaws. Why do you think Flores was fired after being somewhat successful in Miami? Ego and the ego thingy seems to be a common thread in all of Mulageta's client base.
Mulaghetto’s clients all have that “I’m a star” type personality and are full of themselves. I hope we don’t hire any more of his clients ever again!

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Hey you were posting that Culley wouldn't be fired were you not? How well do you really know ownership? I understand what rich people are about but this is just a non-starter for me. I just don't care about that money. Again, they made 400 million in 2020 they'll somehow squeak by. I also have no interest in what the temp is at McNair family gathering. Sell the team? Yea that ain't happening.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This post is not comical, it's naivete and not knowing the reality of the situation.
Well, it's what's happening and as long as Janice is alive the other siblings have no say in the matter. She obviously signed off on this plan. To think otherwise is naiive of you. You just dont like what the org is doing and hate all things Foxboro. But you and I know howcut throat the corporate world is out there and the Culley hiring/firing is just another example and was part of the plan from before he was hired.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Hey you were posting that Culley wouldn't be fired were you not? How well do you really know ownership? I understand what rich people are about but this is just a non-starter for me. I just don't care about that money. Again, they made 400 million in 2020 they'll somehow squeak by. I also have no interest in what the temp is at McNair family gathering. Sell the team? Yea that ain't happening.
Since you understand the rich then you know the $400MM is gross revenues. Half of that goes to players' salaries. A fourth of that goes to admin and operational expenses. So, in a good year they may make $100MM. Except this year they had to flush 22% of that down the toilet thanks to owner/management incompetence. If you have no interest in and could care less about the McNair's money, then why are you spending so much time discussing it?

Texian

Hall of Fame
It was my opinion that Culley would live to see another year. Part of that was based on they would not be that fiscally irresponsible to fire him now. However, when Brian Flores was unexpectedly fired that all changed. I don't think the File Clerk had a plan; I think he just overreacted thinking what might be. Although it took him a couple of days to come to that conclusion. A conclusion based on wishing and hoping but having a plan, no he did not. When all is said and done don't be surprised if the File Clerk hires a new HC he could've hired last year.

Seeing how the File Clerk made no cuts to the salary cap in 2021 and chose to finance his roster by creating $50MM in dead money in 2022, this decision comes as no surprise. Reckless spending and trading away draft picks are just another sign of having no plan. The 2021 season ended 5 days ago and already the 2022 season is starting out much like it did in 2021. This 2021 Texans circus ride is going to pale in comparison to 2022 ride. Buckle up, it's going to be a doozy.

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
You would think he talks like he's Cary McNair and Cal is HIS alcoholic brother
That’s what he wants. He plants seeds of doubt that are assumptions and figments of his imagination. He wants everyone to be down on the Texans.

I really enjoy his posts. He is like the kid in school that is always high and says the craziest things. Sometimes you laugh. Sometimes you fear for you life he is driving on the same road as you.

All his posts are just bashing the Texans. I doubt he is a fan. Nevertheless I do enjoy his posts.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It was my opinion that Culley would live to see another year. Part of that was based on they would not be that fiscally irresponsible to fire him now. However, when Brian Flores was unexpectedly fired that all changed. I don't think the File Clerk had a plan; I think he just overreacted thinking what might be. Although it took him a couple of days to come to that conclusion. A conclusion based on wishing and hoping but having a plan, no he did not. When all is said and done don't be surprised if the File Clerk hires a new HC he could've hired last year.

Seeing how the File Clerk made no cuts to the salary cap in 2021 and chose to finance his roster by creating $50MM in dead money in 2022, this decision comes as no surprise. Reckless spending and trading away draft picks are just another sign of having no plan. The 2021 season ended 5 days ago and already the 2022 season is starting out much like it did in 2021. This 2021 Texans circus ride is going to pale in comparison to 2022 ride. Buckle up, it's going to be a doozy.
So let me get this straight, What Caserio has done has no effect on the on field product and if Caserio hires Mayo then that's proof he's a moron?

Lmao

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That’s what he wants. He plants seeds of doubt that are assumptions and figments of his imagination. He wants everyone to be down on the Texans.

I really enjoy his posts. He is like the kid in school that is always high and says the craziest things. Sometimes you laugh. Sometimes you fear for you life he is driving on the same road as you.

All his posts are just bashing the Texans. I doubt he is a fan. Nevertheless I do enjoy his posts.
Yep, what I don't get is he should be wishing for the McNair's to lose money and the rebuild to fail, so that the McNair's will sell the team. This is what he's stated that he wants but that's not what his posts reflect.

Texian

Hall of Fame
So let me get this straight, What Caserio has done has no effect on the on field product and if Caserio hires Mayo then that's proof he's a moron?

Lmao
Well, according to you, Culley was only hired to hold down the fort until the File Clerk could find the right head coach. Part of the File Clerk "PROCESS" was to hire Culley and give him a guaranteed contract thru 2025. The File Clerk fires him a year later paying Culley $22 million for a year's work so the clerk could hire the right head coach for the job, Jerod Mayo. Who the File Clerk could have hired last year, instead of hiring Culley? You just can't make this stuff up. What the hell happened to Flores and McDaniels?

There is a pattern of behavior here and why the Texans are starting off the 2022 season with $50MM in dead money when they started 2021 with $0. This is the kind of crapola that happens when you give a file clerk the keys to the general manager's office. Easterby's contract negotiations are a lot like the File Clerk's money management. Like I said, 2022 is going to be a doozy. Buckle up it's going to be a hell of ride. 2021 was just a warmup.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Yep, what I don't get is he should be wishing for the McNair's to lose money and the rebuild to fail, so that the McNair's will sell the team. This is what he's stated that he wants but that's not what his posts reflect.
This is exactly what I want, is for the McNair's to sell the team, but it doesn't excuse the sheer stupidity on how they get there. Although I do take some satisfaction and hope that this stupidity is what will drive the McNairs to sell. There is also some hope, now, that this may happen sooner rather than later. Therefore, it is prudent to point out all the reasons (FUBARS) that will potentially drive the McNairs to sell the team. Imagine how boring it would be around here if I didn't.

When you think about it - all Belicheck coaches have gotten fired for the “culture” they bring. Even Belicheck himself was fired from the Browns…

The only time it worked out for Belicheck was with Kraft when he had gained control of GM/Roster duties. (And the Brady Golden Ticket)

It would make sense that everywhere these Belicheck branches tried to take off would turnaround and die because there wasn’t the right culture or alignment.

For once there is a GM that gets the Belicheck way, and possibly a coach as well.

And an owner that gives tons of leeway. All the other Belicheck coaches were fired at 4 years or less except one - OB.

There is no better opportunity than here.
Vabrel is still going strong with the Titans, so not all of them have been fired.