Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

whodknee

Working Class Hero
I did talk to someone on Kirby just yesterday. I mostly got word salad. He wanted to know if I wanted to pay my 12 K early (another story) for goo gobs of neat stuff. I said I might wait and see how things play out....He said good things are coming..what does that even mean

Number19

Hall of Fame
Why would McDaniels come until the place was cleansed to ensure the culture was right and he had a QB worth working with?

A coaches future is tied for the QB they draft. An overwhelming amount of coaches are fired when they don’t get that pick right.
I would say because of his relationship with Easterby and Caserio.

Is this coming year that much better than last, to say, now I'll come on board?

I'd have to ask myself why are the Texans making the move this year? It's true Phily has shown some interest, but McDaniels has had seven interviews over the past two years. And the Texans are taking a pretty bad PR hit because of Culley's firing.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I would say because of his relationship with Easterby and Caserio.

Is this coming year that much better than last, to say, now I'll come on board?

I'd have to ask myself why are the Texans making the move this year? It's true Phily has shown some interest, but McDaniels has had seven interviews over the past two years. And the Texans are taking a pretty bad PR hit because of Culley's firing.
This upcoming year is better because there is a QB that has shown promise, more draft picks this year, proper culture, and alignment. He can get credit for some of the picks too. It’s part ego.

McDaniels knows that after Denver it would be ideal for him to either take over here or New England. He has seen counterparts get fired for the same reason as he did.

And McDaniels can’t be trusted. Look at what he did to Indy. With Flores out there then there is a ideal plan B.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Pelissero is well connected to the NFL, with immediate access to all their pertinenet information. He does work for the NFL Network.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just telling you that 610 reported that only 2 yrs of the 5 yrs was guaranteed. 4 mil for coaching this season and 4 mil to not coach the Texans next yr.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just telling you that 610 reported that only 2 yrs of the 5 yrs was guaranteed. 4 mil for coaching this season and 4 mil to not coach the Texans next yr.
Well Pelissero picks up the phone calls NFL PR dept (his source, direct line) ask about the Culley contract, source gives him the details. Could he have another source that could be wrong? Yeah he could. But if you worked for the NFL Network who would you call for detailed info about a coach or player?

Texian

Hall of Fame
The other thing you have to ask is what self-respecting agent would allow his client to sign a 5-year contract with only 2 years GTD when no other HC in the NFL would agree to and sign such a contract?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

Texans come in last on this list of HC vacancies. Assuming they get a haul of picks for Watson I see it differently. They have a promising young QB on a rookie contract and if they get a boat load of picks they’ll be clear to be big spenders in FA to supplement whatever talent they gain with their current stock of draft picks and whatever they get for Watson and potentially Tunsil.

But most importantly, a rookie QB that outshined all the other rookie QBs except Mac Jones this season. And in the last month outdid him as well!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The other thing you have to ask is what self-respecting agent would allow his client to sign a 5-year contract with only 2 years GTD when no other HC in the NFL would agree to and sign such a contract?
Whoever Culley's agent was.

It's probably a big reason why Culley got the job. It was a condition of getting the job and Culley was on board with it, because 8 mil is probably more money than Culley made in his 25 yr career COMBINED.

“I really appreciate those guys,” Culley said about his players. “I appreciate how hard they played for us. I want to wish them the best of luck and wish the Texans good luck, too.” Culley, 66, knew he was taking over a team undergoing a massive rebuild engineered by Caserio, a first-time general manager who spent 20 years at New England.
The McNair family gave Caserio a six-year contract to oversee the teardown. He signed Culley to a four-year deal. Culley said Thursday his contract is guaranteed through 2025.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
FTR - Davis Mills is now on his 2nd HC, 2nd OC and 2nd offense system. How do you spell continuity?
Josh McDaniels

Who's to say Pep wont be retained.

Even if he's not, I'm sure Mills being a bright guy can pickup another system. If not, he's not a frnchise QB to begin with. This should be the last system Mills will have to learn for the next 5 or more yrs. Or the rebuild was a failure and everybody will be fired.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Which is really what we all are hoping for if this rebuild doesn't work. I dont understand Tex thought process. I thought he was wanting the McNair's to sell? If it costs them millions before they sell then that's even better. IMHO
I don’t know about that. The devil you know is usually better than the devil you don’t.

I could see someone buying the Texans and moving them.

Just because that is Houston Football luck.

We had winners in the XFL Houston Roughnecks and what happens? A plague.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Look, this isn't about the rebuild. This is about the replication. Turning this franchise into a mirror image of Foxboro. From the GM, to the head coach, to the spirit guide, to the ball boy. No room for outsiders.
And hopefully that mirror image also includes a few rings.

The hate of all things Foxboro is a light that's shining brightly around these parts. I happen to think that the light will shine brightly on this franchise after a couple of yrs when the rebuild is done and Mills proves to be the guy with alot of talent around him. I know this isn't a popular opinion around these parts.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The McNair family members care, it's their money. People don't understand that because they are billionaires, they don't make billions every year. If they make $100 million then they had a good year. When they watch some one piss away $22 million of that $100MM they get pissed knowing another $50MM contract is coming in a few days. It is this kind of crapola that can drive a wedge in the family and cause some siblings to insist on getting out and splitting the pie before more money is flushed down the toilet and the value of the franchise is further eroded. Now for someone who is working for minimum wage this could be hard and difficult for them to understand. Because you know it's F' the Billionaires mentality. It's quite comical to watch the $10 an hour crowd act like they know everything there is about how billionaires live and make their money.

I would bet Janice is getting an earful from all of her children not named Kyle or Cal about the total disregard for fiduciary and the complete fiscal irresponsibility that has been ongoing with the Texans organization since Bob McNair died.
There's something comical in this post alright. Comical in the fact that Janice owns the team and she/Cal signed off on this plan and the other siblings will just have to deal with it. In short, until her death none of what the other siblings want doesn't matter at all.

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
When you think about it - all Belicheck coaches have gotten fired for the “culture” they bring. Even Belicheck himself was fired from the Browns…

The only time it worked out for Belicheck was with Kraft when he had gained control of GM/Roster duties. (And the Brady Golden Ticket)

It would make sense that everywhere these Belicheck branches tried to take off would turnaround and die because there wasn’t the right culture or alignment.

For once there is a GM that gets the Belicheck way, and possibly a coach as well.

And an owner that gives tons of leeway. All the other Belicheck coaches were fired at 4 years or less except one - OB.

There is no better opportunity than here.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Why would McDaniels come until the place was cleansed to ensure the culture was right and he had a QB worth working with?

A coaches future is tied for the QB they draft. An overwhelming amount of coaches are fired when they don’t get that pick right.
So, if Mills struggled or Tyrod gets hurt in Week 14 instead of 2. Then McDaniels would not be interested in joining the Texans?