Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

I give you an A for effort. However, stop trying to rationalize or normalize this WTF move. How many years did Mike Singletary and Jim Harbaugh coached before becoming HCs? Do you think anyone consider them as HC candidates upon retiring? Also, regardless of offers, I doubt upon retiring, Manning would consider any HC offers.

My sides are hurting from hearing and reading the pretzel logic for making McCown the Texans HC.

Not a team Mccown for HC guy myself either. But there were plenty of owners and fans that wanted to give Peyton a HC gig without prior coaching experience.

The point is nobody knows how a transition to HC will go. Whether that is a player to coach or assistant to head coach. Mccown might do great as a head coach. Or he might fail miserably. Sure a year as QB coach would ease some worries but in the end its still a projection.

But please let Cal know I can spin it real nice if he wants to hire me as the new Amy Palcic or Jamie Rootes 😉

Well, yeah, when you put it that way, taking everything football out of the equation, then maybe it's not so stupid.
The Preacher Man, the File Clerk, Game Boy and the Queen of the Charity Ball are primarily focused on creating a cult culture where the Commitment to Excellence is Thou Shalt Not Sin. So, if the Fantastic Four can hire Josh McCown, that would now make McCown the Preacher Man and Jack Easterby would become The Deacon or The Pope (depending on your way of thinking).

Last edited:
IMO I think it was DeMeco and Mayo, and a few others, made the decision, not interested, and it was not so much a Texans ringmaster making that decision. This is based on none of them having been to clown school and therefore are not qualified to perform in this circus. This goes best with sauerkraut.

For the record, you really think the McNair's want to hire a guy who is suing them?

The Preacher Man, the File Clerk, Game Boy and the Queen of the Charity Ball are primarily focused on creating a cult culture where the Commitment to Excellence is Thou Shalt Not Sin. So, if the Fantastic Four can hire Josh McCown, that would now make McCown the Preacher Man and Jack Easterby would become The Deacon or The Pope (depending on your way of thinking). Can I get an Amen?
We’re F’d.

For the record, you really think the McNair's want to hire a guy who is suing them?
FTR what I really think is, the Texans HC job is the worst job in the NFL. That's #32 out of 32 jobs. The Texans HC job is where HC careers go to die. Therefore, no self-respecting perspective HC with plans to be a HC in the league in the years to come want nothing to do with the Houston Texans. Only those coaches who are interested in a paycheck are the coaches interested in the Texans HC job.

Last edited:
FTR what I really think is, the Texans HC job is the worst job in the NFL. That's #32 out of 32 jobs. The Texans HC job is where HC careers go to die. Therefore, no self-respecting perspective HC with plans to be a HC in the league in the years to come want nothing to do with the Houston Texans.

Feel that way all you want and I certainly can understand why you think this way.

With that said, I think Mills is the real deal and I believe this job will be a great job in a couple of yrs after Caserio is able to put talent around him. Maybe even sooner if Derrick is able to beat the rap.

McCown might surprise y'all.

Dude's been around a lot of different football people. He's played a lot of NFL football. He held down a job for a long time. He's got to know something, right?
He will be a younger version of David Culley. Nick will be hiring the coaches, be putting in the game plans and probably be on the headset managing the game. Yeah, so Josh gets along with everyone, he's a nice guy, a career backup that could never crack the starting lineup...wonderful. It'd be nice if he could design an offense, call the plays...Again, Culley Jr.
You don't see a trend in Caserio's Head Coaching hires?
It's crazy. We had a HC that wanted to be the GM, now we have a GM that wants to be the HC!
It hasn't happened yet, so I can only hope.

McCown absolutely loves the Shanahan offense, says it is by far the best O to run. How will that work with the De Facto coaches. My guess is the File Clerk and the Preacher Man reason that McCown has also been in the Perkins-Erhardt offense so he can coach that too.
It's not going to matter what McCown likes, Caserio will hire an OC to install the offense he wants.

I really don’t want my HC this involved in the offense. Rather he hires a guy to take care of this kind of thing.
Absolutely, but it would be nice if he could design an offense and call the plays so he'd know what his OC is doing and if he was doing it the way Caserio wanted it done.

Last edited:
An interesting thought…

How many owners would fall over themselves to hire Peyton Manning upon retiring despite no coaching experience? Is it that much different?

Especially considering backup or merely “good” players are much better coaches than “stars” on average.

Think: Mike Singletary vs Jim Harbaugh
Manning has been retired for 6 yrs and no Head-Coaching bites yet!

He will be a younger version of David Culley. Nick will be hiring the coaches, be putting in the game plans and probably be on the headset managing the game. Yeah, so Josh gets along with everyone, he's a nice guy, a career backup that could never crack the starting lineup...wonderful. It'd be nice if he could design an offense, call the plays...Again, Culley Jr.
You don't see a trend in Caserio's Head Coaching hires?
It's crazy. We had a HC that wanted to be the GM, now we have a GM that wants to be the HC!
It hasn't happened yet, so I can only hope.

If you dont think McCown can design an offense you dont know the McCown family. Alot of the offenses you see in Texas HS football, which have carried over to college at places like Oklahoma. Those offenses were the types of offenses that the McCown brothers grew up running. Those offenses were designed by guys like Ronnie Thompson/Hugh Massey etc... and carried further by coaches like Todd Dodge/Craig Stump etc...

Not to mention all of the offenses McCown has run in college and the NFL. Josh McCown not being able to design an offense should be the least of your worries.

If you dont think McCown can design an offense you dont know the McCown family. Alot of the offenses you see in Texas HS football, which have carried over to college at places like Oklahoma. Those offenses were the types of offenses that the McCown brothers grew up running. Those offenses were designed by guys like Ronnie Thompson/Hugh Massey etc... and carried further by coaches like Todd Dodge/Craig Stump etc...

Not to mention all of the offenses McCown has run in college and the NFL. Josh McCown not being able to design an offense should be the least of your worries.

Is Art Briles getting an invitation to this HS coaches reunion?

Cant these nutjobs just call Klint Kubiak? He can’t possibly be any worse if they are just hiring a young guy who knows offense and he’s actually coached in the NFL as a bonus.

Cant these nutjobs just call Klint Kubiak? He can’t possibly be any worse if they are just hiring a young guy who knows offense and he’s actually coached in the NFL as a bonus.

What makes you think he would be any better than McCown

Gig'em

I still don’t get why we got rid of Culley if Mccown is our guy. That would have given Mccown a nice shield while he gets a year to learn on the job.
Right. Philosophically sounds like Culley realized he could get $4M a year to put up with the tomfoolery, or he could get $4M a year & not deal with it. He decided on the $4M & not deal with it option

None of this matters. As @wildroot pointed out, the File Clerk will hire the OC of his choosing to run the offense the File Clerk wants run.

He’s younger.
Hes actually coached and called plays in the NFL.
He’s from a successful family of coaches.
He’s familiar with HOU and the Texans.

Was he even born when McCown started playing in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure McCown can call plays in the NFL after playing for 20 yrs.

So is McCown

Why does this matter?

Was he even born when McCown started playing in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure McCown can call plays in the NFL after playing for 20 yrs.

So is McCown

Why does this matter?
I can call plays too. Doesn’t mean I should.
Your asking why it matters if some back up QB who’s never set foot on any field in any capacity as a coach of any kind should be calling plays for an NFL team?
It’s laughably stupid.
And McClowns playing career isn’t something to be bragging about either. He’s a career backup.
This is absolutely idiotic if he’s hired, and is indicative of the moron owners and their personal views and clearly has nothing to do with experience or coaching as he has zero experience in both.

What I do know is that he was a career 2nd and 3rd string QB so I'm not getting warm and fuzzy feelings on this.
Are you seriously exited about Easterby probably hiring McCown to be our HC?!? Of all the candidates out there, this is the best we could do? You been around here a long time, seen it all and you're OK with hiring someone who has never been a Junior high coach to lead this team? We're going to be the laughing stocks of the NFL, more so than we already are. Caserio wants to be the GM and HC of this team, he wants McCown to stand there on the sidelines and do as he's told. I was the biggest advocate of getting Caserio here to build this team, but now after seeing what he's doing...

If these guys make McCown the next hc I'll watch it like I would a car wreck. Just hard to look away because the shock of it. It doesn't mean I'm rooting for it ,but I think I'll finally be done.

I was with them before this team had a name ,but I can only tolerate so much stupid.

What a colossal wet brown toilet treasure Cal has made of this team.

I thought Manning was interested in ownership?
He is, but he was saying coaches falling over themselves to hire him as a coach. I was pointing out that in 6 yrs no one has hired him as a coach.
I think he's looking at Denver for ownership.
If only someone would throw out an offer the McNairs couldn't refuse!

Your asking why it matters if some back up QB who’s never set foot on any field in any capacity as a coach of any kind should be calling plays for an NFL team?
It’s laughably stupid.
And McClowns playing career isn’t something to be bragging about either. He’s a career backup.
This is absolutely idiotic if he’s hired, and is indicative of the moron owners and their personal views and clearly has nothing to do with experience or coaching as he has zero experience in both.

i'm trying to think of a great that was a championship coach...Bill Russell?

i'd respect them more if they just hired him
this pr strategy reeks of cowardice
but...
i.am.entertained

Is Art Briles getting an invitation to this HS coaches reunion?
Don’t forget Sonny Detmer

It’s laughably stupid.
Well put.

It’s laughably stupid.

I dont want McCown to be the HC either.

Nor do I want Klint Kubiak to be HC.

They both would be bad hires.

I do believe McCown would have more contacts within the NFL coaching circles than Klint would have.

What I do know is that he was a career 2nd and 3rd string QB so I'm not getting warm and fuzzy feelings on this.
Are you seriously exited about Easterby probably hiring McCown to be our HC?!? Of all the candidates out there, this is the best we could do? You been around here a long time, seen it all and you're OK with hiring someone who has never been a Junior high coach to lead this team? We're going to be the laughing stocks of the NFL, more so than we already are. Caserio wants to be the GM and HC of this team, he wants McCown to stand there on the sidelines and do as he's told. I was the biggest advocate of getting Caserio here to build this team, but now after seeing what he's doing...

To be clear, I'm not in favor of McCown becoming the next HC. I want McDaniels/O'Connel/Lombardi/Gannon in that order.

If these guys make McCown the next hc I'll watch it like I would a car wreck. Just hard to look away because the shock of it. It doesn't mean I'm rooting for it ,but I think I'll finally be done.

I was with them before this team had a name ,but I can only tolerate so much stupid.

What a colossal wet brown toilet treasure Cal has made of this team.

I will wait to see how the rebuild turns out in a couple yrs before I get where you are.

I still don’t get why we got rid of Culley if Mccown is our guy. That would have given Mccown a nice shield while he gets a year to learn on the job.

there's the problem with all of this, and there's the problem with getting rid of Culley to begin with.

Back