Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Head Coach Candidate (Lovie Smith Hired) 2/7/22

That's a lot of years for a 39 year old

I like that they are turning over stones, but Gannons defense wasn't so great in the playoffs. Then again, I was ready to jettison Vrabel after one year as DC, and the tacks definitely got the best branch from the "BOB tree".

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Philly's defense wasn't so great during the regular season, either.

I like looking at younger coaches as candidates for the HC position in Houston but I don't feel like he's the right guy.

I like looking at younger coaches as candidates for the HC position in Houston but I don't feel like he's the right guy.

The Eagles finished the 2021 regular season No. 15 in points allowed with 385, and were the No. 10 total defense with 5,590 yards allowed. The Eagles were hardly better than the Texans in the takeaway department as they generated 16, tied for the fifth-fewest in the NFL.

On the coordinator results being important, I think characteristics of coordinator are different than a head coach. While one major of the places to find a head coach is the coordinator market , we have seen both sides coin with great coordinators who are good head coaches and guys with little to no coordinator experience go on to be quality head coaches.

Some insight into Philly’s defense. Looks like they got steamrolled by elite QBs and feasted on the Trevor Siemian and Zach Wilsons on the schedule.

But Gannon did well as the Colts DB coach 2018-2020 on Eberflus’ staff and would presumably keep Lovie as DC since they run a similar Tampa 2 D.

Nick Caserio can come out looking like a Genius. Its been known that Watson wanted to united with Brian Flores. Caserio and Flores have history from the Patriots. I'm saying if the Texans Hire Brian Flores he might be the get Deshaun back in the right frame of mind and stay right here in Houston. Anyone thinking what I am or have I lost my mind. To broken to be fixed???

Thinking of the Texans interest in Gannon and the type of defense he runs. Would anyone be surprised if the Texans conducted their "search" and a month from today, they have a press conference saying Lovie Smith is their new HC and every time they looked outside of the organization, they always came back to Lovie? It would be so....Texans.

Thinking of the Texans interest in Gannon and the type of defense he runs. Would anyone be surprised if the Texans conducted their "search" and a month from today, they have a press conference saying Lovie Smith is their new HC and every time they looked outside of the organization, they always came back to Lovie? It would be so....Texans.
If they bring Mayo in as DC, I'd be fine with that

Nick Caserio can come out looking like a Genius. Its been known that Watson wanted to united with Brian Flores. Caserio and Flores have history from the Patriots. I'm saying if the Texans Hire Brian Flores he might be the get Deshaun back in the right frame of mind and stay right here in Houston. Anyone thinking what I am or have I lost my mind. To broken to be fixed???
I wouldn't have him back now, he'd be pulling this sh#t everytime something didn't go his way. He don't get to burn us twice.

There are a good number of us that would not want Watson back. He's a quitter and a predator.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The lunatics would be running the asylum in your scenario.

Does anybody else see this Flores/Watson connection as more agent driven clickbait?

I see no connection or reason why they have such a strong mutual reason to team up beyond having the same agent. Would be nice if Flores got the Giants job and traded a boat load of premium picks for WD40 but more than likely just a fantasy.
I believe it is total bs, clickbait, etc. But let’s pretend it’s true. What type of coaching candidate would generate this type of BF-Buddy relationship with an idiot with all these outstanding allegations at this time? Flores better be all over the media denying this Otherwise his ass should be thrown out with the DW bath water.

All of these top tier HC candidates out there and we're interviewing Lombardi, Hines Ward, Brian Flores and now we want to talk with Gannon? Flores is legit, but the other 3? And why isn't Caserio scheduling 3 or 4 a day? I would think finding a HC is the hottest thing on his plate right now. I'm sure all our coaches want to know if they have a job as well. Do we want the likes of Lovie and Pep hired away from us?!? We're going to wind up with another Culley if we don't get it in gear.

Caserio may be going more towards what the Patriots did. Hire a hard-nosed former or current DC and then an OC who would run that side of the ball.

Maybe Gannon is young and hungry enough to allow Caserio a bit more say in his staffing choices.

Gannon comes in as HC and Caserio retains Lovie to continue his work on the defensive side of the ball and convinces Gannon that making Pep the OC could be in the best interest for all involved, especially the continued development of Davis Mills.

As much as I wish that would happen D Wat isnt playing another game here.

Another article on Gannon and the Eagles defense. I like that he was able to make adjustments to personnel and scheme midseason, albeit against a weaker schedule. Also has ties to Mike Zimmer from his time with Vikings, maybe Zimmer would take the DC/Asst HC job if he wouldn’t retain Lovie? Gannon also has worked in the FO side of things as a scout with the Rams like Brian Flores did. I think Caserio puts a lot of value in coaches who have also been a scout. I suspect we’ll see another candidate or two with FO experience during the hiring cycle.

I’d like to go the route some teams have gone with a specific candidate. Belichick, Mike Shanahan with Denver, Holmgren with GB. Full GM-HC duties and let that person run the whole show and the owner stays wholly the F out of the any and all day to day activities and decisions. That’s why I am open to trading Derrick ASAP, and then using some of those picks to trade for Sean Payton and give him the GM-HC title and a 10 year contract and then let him run the show.

We just saw that model with OB, while Payton maybe a better coach by far what makes you think we would be good as both GM and HC? Also why in the world would Caserio hire his replacement? Lastly why would Saints ever go for this? Ok a couple of extra draft picks, whoopie do, that might help for a few years, assuming they aren't busts which most are, but a great coach can set your franchise up for decades.

Nothing about this scenario makes any sense to me.

Does anyone think DeMeco still has bad blood over the lawsuit he filed over NRG playing surface? I forgot about this incident but can’t imagine a scenario when there is not bad blood. I doubt he takes an interview here.

FYI.......DeMeco was forced to drop his suit last year.

We’ll know for sure when they hire who they hire, but I believe they’re just going through the motions to make it look like they’re not full throttle Patriots South.
The ole expression 'bout "imitation being the sincerest form of flattery"applies with us and the Pats ? I got NP with that because the Ne Patriots are the iconic NFL organization of 21st century if you are talking being successful. Besides we had the same deal when Smith & Kubiack came down here from Denver, another great NFL organization.
I dunno would you prefer we imitate the Cowboys, the Jags, the Browns which are all basically mediocre if not inferior organizations when compared to the premier organizations like the Pats, or the Chiefs.

I dunno would you prefer we imitate…
I don’t see it as imitation. Taking people who learned from New England & putting what they learned to practice in Houston is no more imitation than a person taking what they learned at Harvard into practice in their professional lives.

It has not worked anywhere else. It most likely won’t work here. We’ll see.

We just saw that model with OB, while Payton maybe a better coach by far what makes you think we would be good as both GM and HC? Also why in the world would Caserio hire his replacement? Lastly why would Saints ever go for this? Ok a couple of extra draft picks, whoopie do, that might help for a few years, assuming they aren't busts which most are, but a great coach can set your franchise up for decades.

Nothing about this scenario makes any sense to me.
Obviously Caserio would just be gone. This is strictly an owner to owner move. Which means it probably would never happen.

The ole expression 'bout "imitation being the sincerest form of flattery"applies with us and the Pats ? I got NP with that because the Ne Patriots are the iconic NFL organization of 21st century if you are talking being successful. Besides we had the same deal when Smith & Kubiack came down here from Denver, another great NFL organization.
I dunno would you prefer we imitate the Cowboys, the Jags, the Browns which are all basically mediocre if not inferior organizations when compared to the premier organizations like the Pats, or the Chiefs.
Most coaches and GMs hire who they are familiar with, usually assistant coaches and player from their previous team that they've worked with. We should consider ourselves lucky that in our case, the "previous team" happens to be the winingest team of this era.
If we hired a coach or GM from a really crappy team, we'd be seeing those coaches and players coming here instead.
Kubiak did the same thing in Denver. I'd imagine the fans were talking about the Broncos as "Houston North".

Not surprising honestly. The big question is who are they targeting. Makes sense you hear Flores and McDaniels. Wonder if there is a sleeper pick out there. Has to be a ball boy somewhere primed to be hired as HC by Nick and Cal.

My sleeper HC pick is Raheem Morris, current DC for the Rams. He has extensive coaching experience, including HC, DC and WR coach. He runs the Tampa 2 defense and would work well in retaining Lovie as DC.
I don't want someone who has never had HC experience before. Raheem is only 45 years old with 20 years coaching and is a guy we should be looking at and interviewing as soon as the Rams are out.

I don’t see it as imitation. Taking people who learned from New England & putting what they learned to practice in Houston is no more imitation than a person taking what they learned at Harvard into practice in their professional lives.

It seems to be working in Nashville.

BTW, I fully expect the Ttians to lose this weekend.

Where is the news that Texans have/are interviewing Josh McDaniels or Mayo?

giphy.gif

All I'm trying to say is that if we can copy the success of the Patriots, then I say Hallelujah !

I wouldn’t have a problem with copying whoever ... if it works. The problem with Patriots South is they don’t win games like Patriots North does.

And what does it say when the best of the Belichick tree has been Bill O’Brien?

They hire Mayo or McDaniels or Flores or whoever with Patriots ties, and they start winning and going deep into January, great. Problem is, so far it’s only worked in Foxborough.

Other than getting the GOAT, are the Bucs doing it the Patriot way? What about the Chiefs? Teams can win without copying somebody.

Imitation may be the highest form of flattery, but I don’t give a flying **** if the Patriots are flattered. I want the Houston Texans to win football games. And so far, whether it’s Broncos South, Patriots South, it hasn’t worked. And all of this imitation the Texans do speaks volumes of why they have no identity of their own.

I wouldn’t have a problem with copying whoever ... if it works. The problem with Patriots South is they don’t win games like Patriots North does.

They hire Mayo or McDaniels or Flores or whoever with Patriots ties, and they start winning and going deep into January, great. Problem is, so far it’s only worked in Foxborough.

Other than getting the GOAT, are the Bucs doing it the Patriot way? What about the Chiefs? Teams can win without copying somebody.

Imitation may be the highest form of flattery, but I don’t give a flying **** if the Patriots are flattered. I want the Houston Texans to win football games. And so far, whether it’s Broncos South, Patriots South, it hasn’t worked. And all of this imitation the Texans do speaks volumes of why they have no identity of their own.

Umm it's working pretty well for the AFC #1 seed right now.

You're forgetting about Gronk ....But of course they're doing it the Patriot way. You think after 20 years Brady didn't take some of that with him to TB? NE was famous for picking up troubled players and getting them to fall in line for the sake of winning. & despite his tough talk, we know Arians aint running ****....Look no further than the Antonio Brown saga & Brady instituting the Patriot way.

Here's Arians on the possibility of signing Brown when he became available early in the 2020 preseason: "Yeah, its not gonna happen..".....Brady was like 1642528565267.png

Here's Arians after he was signed just a few months later in October: "If he screws up 1 time, he's gone.." ................................................ Brady was like 1642529026186.png

Finally, after multiple screws ups & the sideline show Brown put on, Brady finally gave his blessing to dump the dude.

You have lost your mind. No charge...

I stated earlier that my preference for the new HC was one with an offensive background. However if the Texans go defensively, I'm liking Jonathan Gannon. Although still relatively young, 39, he's had a lengthy background in the NFL going back to 2007, including 3 years as a scout from 2009 to 2011. His latest career jump was as Phily's DC in 2021, using the 43 scheme. Over the 14 years of his career he's had exposure to multiple schemes (I hope this comment I heard refers to both sides of the ball) and may have the flexibility I also would like to see in our head coach.

I prefer the experience of Gannon over the inexperience of Mayo.

Back