Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Halftime adjustments question…

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
One term that I hear all the time… halftime adjustments. I always assumed it to be a general “change” in gameplan/personel/etc but I’m now beginning to think there’s more to it.

What exactly are halftime adjustments? What adjustments did DeMeco need to make? Slowick?

One term that I hear all the time… halftime adjustments. I always assumed it to be a general “change” in gameplan/personel/etc but I’m now beginning to think there’s more to it.

What exactly are halftime adjustments? What adjustments did DeMeco need to make? Slowick?
If you're interested:

As for myself, you probably already knew that I've had had this conspiracy going for decades, that the NFL and Vegas are in bed together; adjustment makes less and less sense.

In my theory, there were many instances where both teams are allowed to have a chance to win a game toward the end.

The coaches better make sure that they reserve those plays for that purpose.

Other instances where a team trails big time, that seemingly made adjustments to come back to win the game are much more rare. And that would be the better team to begin with.
They just seem to be sleepwalking in the first half.

The chance for a underdog, especially the real dog, to come back from a large deficit is very small.

There was a period where Overtime spiked lately, but not so much this year.
"The fix" is getting more sotisphicated over the years.

It's the Over/Under where they want to control, what with all the parlay bet.

Both Vegas and the NFL try to stay out of controversy, though the big games are still very controversial at times.

It's the Over/Under where they want to control, what with all the parlay bet.
Week 5 (not counting MNF)
7 Overs (49ers and Saints almost covered the over by themselves lol)
6 Unders
Tonights O/U is 45.5. I bet it goes Under just to be 50%

I've always felt like gamblers ruin every sport they get close to and eventually they get close to all of them. It's unfortunate but this is just human nature. The game gets smaller while the scam gets bigger.
The big name sports are now entertainement rather than "sport".

Read their mission statements.

The NBA may not have the term "entertainment" in the core mission statement, but it's spelled out among their business goals.

The NBA may not have the term "entertainment" in the core mission statement, but it's spelled out among their business goals.

Sports have always been about entertainment

Sure, but this is what I get when I pause the question to AI GPT Chat.

NFL Origin: Sport vs. Entertainment

Default (GPT-3.5)

User
Did the NFL start out as a sport league rather than an entertainment business?

ChatGPT
The NFL (National Football League) originated as a professional football league with a primary focus on sports, rather than entertainment. It was founded in 1920 as the American Professional Football Association (APFA) and later became the NFL in 1922. While entertainment has become a significant aspect of the NFL over the years, its core purpose has always been to organize and promote American football as a sport. However, the league's popularity and commercialization have led to a strong entertainment component, including events like the Super Bowl, halftime shows, and TV broadcasts that incorporate entertainment elements.

And this was their pay.

Early NFL Player Salaries
Default (GPT-3.5)

What was the salary of the early nfl players when the league just started?

When the National Football League (NFL) was first established in 1920, players did not receive fixed salaries like modern athletes. Instead, they were paid on a per-game basis, and the salaries were relatively modest by today's standards. Early NFL players often earned around $100 to $300 per game, with some star players earning slightly more. Keep in mind that these figures were a far cry from the multi-million-dollar contracts seen in today's NFL. Additionally, players had to cover their own expenses, including travel and equipment, in many cases. The financial landscape of the NFL has evolved significantly since its inception.

I don't think the players thought of themselves as entertainers back then.

And this was their pay.

Early NFL Player Salaries
Default (GPT-3.5)

What was the salary of the early nfl players when the league just started?

When the National Football League (NFL) was first established in 1920, players did not receive fixed salaries like modern athletes. Instead, they were paid on a per-game basis, and the salaries were relatively modest by today's standards. Early NFL players often earned around $100 to $300 per game, with some star players earning slightly more. Keep in mind that these figures were a far cry from the multi-million-dollar contracts seen in today's NFL. Additionally, players had to cover their own expenses, including travel and equipment, in many cases. The financial landscape of the NFL has evolved significantly since its inception.

Sounds a lot like my CMRA motorcycle racing days. We paid to play… and we took it seriously. No sponsors or anything like that. We didn’t do this for money. We did it because we wanted to go fast. Today’s players aren’t all on the same level in that capacity. They’re soft.

I've always felt like gamblers ruin every sport they get close to and eventually they get close to all of them. It's unfortunate but this is just human nature. The game gets smaller while the scam gets bigger.
I'm sorry to go off topic in adjustment thread, but gambling on sports has gone on since the beginning of sports. The 3 things that have drastically decreased the likelihood of gambling influencing the games are, 1) the salaries of the players, 2) the number of eyes on the games, and 3) gambling becoming more above board and accessible. The "scam" is at an all-time low, if not non-existent.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to go off topic in adjustment thread, but gambling on sports has gone on since the beginning of sports. The 3 things that have drastically decreased the likelihood of gambling influencing the games are, 1) the salaries of the players, 2) the number of eyes on the games, and 3) gambling becoming more above board and accessible. The "scam" is at an all-time low, if not non-existent.

All true. Doesn't change how I feel about it.

Yep, it went Under. 50/50 split on O/U's for Week 5.
It doesn't happen like that all the time, but over the course of several seasons, things often end up just like so.

The only trend is that Home Favorites don't cover the spread enough.
However, if you figure in the house 10% premium, bettors always lose, especially because they often run out of money first.

And musicians think of themselves as artists and actors think of themselves as gods.

It doesn't matter what they think. What they are, and have always been, is entertainers. Perception is reality.

As far as halftime adjustments, I don't think it's as dramatic as Hollywood or the media has made it out. They've barely got time to get to the locker room, take a leak, and eat some orange slices before they've got to get back to the field.

And musicians think of themselves as artists and actors think of themselves as gods.

It doesn't matter what they think. What they are, and have always been, is entertainers. Perception is reality.

I must disagree.
In the early days, players played simply because they like sports.

There are thousand of amateur leagues of all sort of sports around the country.
Many of the games are played without spectator.
Are the players entertaining the ghost?

In the decades of the past, many minor league baseball games were played without spectator.

As far as halftime adjustments, I don't think it's as dramatic as Hollywood or the media has made it out. They've barely got time to get to the locker room, take a leak, and eat some orange slices before they've got to get back to the field.

Yep. Maybe a few words about something that's working really well or not at all. Probably a continuation of a conversation from the sideline at best. Nothing they can adjust at halftime that they can't adjust while the other side of the ball is on the field during the game.

I must disagree.
In the early days, players played simply because they like sports.

There are thousand of amateur leagues of all sort of sports around the country.
Many of the games are played without spectator.
Are the players entertaining the ghost?

In the decades of the past, many minor league baseball games were played without spectator.

Were they paid despite there being no spectators? If so… how does that work?

Even though I completely agree with this I have seen some amazing turnarounds from half to half. I'm sure it has more to do with fatigue & other factors on the field. Still I can see how an urban myth would spring up about halftime adjustments.

Were they paid despite there being no spectators? If so… how does that work?
Minor league baseball salaries had always been peanuts, especially in the old days.

I have read about teams in the Texas League, for example, that failed to make payroll and folded in the middle of the season.

Half-time adjustment might be an overused term, but it does exist to a certain level.

Here it was spelled out that the Bills made an adjustment in that infamous game against the Oilers.

The Bills switched up to a 34 defense and then to a 34 zone coverage on apparent passing downs.

And here I thought that 100% of the idea of major league sports was entertainment. Guess I've been missing something all along.

Reactions: JB
And here I thought that 100% of the idea of major league sports was entertainment. Guess I've been missing something all along.
I learned that all three major sports in the States started out as amateur sports.
There was strong resistance in all instances of a professional league.

Baseball was pretty much sandslot.
Basketball was played at the Y and in the army and at pickup games.
Only football gained popularity early at colleges.
Early attendances at times were not based on entertainment, but rather support from family members and friends, pride of the school, the need for social gathering (people enjoying being together and not necessarily get entertained by the games. Many don't even know the rules).

In the sandslot, there was no spectator, maybe your childhood girl friend... and she was playing. 🤣

I know when I was playing basketball pickup games at some of the neighborhood courts; there was no spectator.
Most of the time, at intramural games in high school and college, there was no spectator either.

So you see, these sports were not invented to be entertainment venues for the general folks.
They were intended to get the general folks to participate in the sports.
Then there would be no entertainers and no need for an audience.

Back