Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Grantland] What if Trade Scenarios

ASidd_1990

Waterboy
Saw this article on Grantland.com highlighting some what if draft day trades and Texans came up.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...est-draft-trade-what-ifs-of-the-past-15-years

2008: Joe Flacco goes 18th to the Texans, Duane Brown goes 26th to the Ravens

Not enough Ravens fans were thanking the Jacksonville Jaguars for this year’s Super Bowl win. In 2008, Baltimore, fresh off a 5-11 finish, was the owner of the no. 8 pick in the draft. Jacksonville, which has been in need of a pass rusher since the franchise’s inception, packaged the 26th pick, two third-round picks, and a fourth-round pick to Baltimore for the right to move up and take Florida defensive end Derrick Harvey. Harvey was cut by the Bengals last August.

Baltimore packaged one of those third-round picks, a sixth-round pick, and the 26th pick and sent them to Houston for the 18th pick. That 18th pick was Joe Flacco, he of the Super Bowl MVP and $120 million contract. In what seems like a rarity in pro sports trades, the deal ended up being a good one for both sides, though. With the 26th pick, Houston took Virginia Tech offensive tackle Duane Brown. At the time, Brown was considered a project. Seven offensive tackles were taken before him in that year’s first round, and although a couple of them still remain among the league’s best (Ryan Clady, possibly Jake Long), Brown turned into the best of them. He’s 13th on that Pro Football Focus list of the best players in the NFL, three spots ahead of the second-best tackle (Joe Staley).

Thoughts?

what if Texans drafted Juluis peppers instead of carr

what if Texans drafted Big ben rothisburger

what if Texans drafted ed reed ..??????

so manyyyy

what if Texans drafted Juluis peppers instead of carr

what if Texans drafted Big ben rothisburger

what if Texans drafted ed reed ..??????

so manyyyy

What if we'd taken rebus instead of okoye? You're right it never ends but in this instance houston got it right with drafting brown.

It nice to see Brown acknowledged as the best Tackle in the game.

I don't think they're saying he's the best in the game, just the best of the LT's who came out that year. Still, he is one of the best LT's in the game, and that pick, even though many thought it was bad at the time, turned out to be great for the Texans. I still remember people in the press and on this board saying how bad Smith and Kubes screwed up picking Brown, and after the 1st year it did look pretty bad. I don't think anyone is questioning the pick now. :texflag:

I don't think they're saying he's the best in the game, just the best of the LT's who came out that year. Still, he is one of the best LT's in the game, and that pick, even though many thought it was bad at the time, turned out to be great for the Texans. I still remember people in the press and on this board saying how bad Smith and Kubes screwed up picking Brown, and after the 1st year it did look pretty bad. I don't think anyone is questioning the pick now. :texflag:

Yeah, that particular list is saying he's the best LT in the game and #13 rated player overall. The top rated O-Lineman on that list is Evan Mathis - guard with the Eagles at #6.

Just for the record, that list also has JJ Watt as #1 overall, AJ as #9, and Antonio Smith as #72. Those are the only four Texans on the list (and yes, that means they left Arian - and anyone else you might want to mention - off the list).

Here's a link to the complete list.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/06/pffs-top-101-of-2012-the-full-list/

Back