Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

GM Candidates

Texansballer74

The Marine
When he came to the Browns they had the most cap space in the NFL. He spent $$$$ like a mad man. Of course this did lead to a playoff team.
Lol in how many years did it take them. They can very well end up like the Jaguars. Another team you praised for going this same route.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Just like the Jaguars was remember?
They wrongly went all in on Bortles.

The team leaders turned against Coughlin.

The Jags future is still very bright. They just have to hire the right GM/HC. They have alot of cap space/draft picks. If they can get the QB position right everything else will fall into place for them.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
One of your main criticisms of Smith were his poor track record in the middle rounds. Dorsey strength is as a talent evaluation in those rounds. If he's one of the best at that , who cares why he and Reid fell out. He did help construct that roster with mid rd picks.
Agreed, I'm not against getting Dorsey. I just question why he's been fired twice.

Also he's not going to be allowed to draft great players with troubled pasta like Hill/Jones/Kelce or trade for a guy like Frank Clark with his past.

Not Texans Worthy

michaelm

vox nihili
Agreed, I'm not against getting Dorsey. I just question why he's been fired twice.

Also he's not going to be allowed to draft great players with troubled pasta like Hill/Jones/Kelce or trade for a guy like Frank Clark with his past.

Not Texans Worthy
I'm not sure if I care of Dorsey is fired after 2-3 years. He seems like one of the better bets to quickly restore some actual talent to the roster so I won't be mad if they rent him for several years to get that done as quickly as possible

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I'm not sure if I care of Dorsey is fired after 2-3 years. He seems like one of the better bets to quickly restore some actual talent to the roster so I won't be mad if they rent him for several years to get that done as quickly as possible
Yeah, but how quickly could that actually be done if they’re limiting themselves with only players who fit their BS culture?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yeah, but how quickly could that actually be done if they’re limiting themselves with only players who fit their BS culture?
There’s not many players who make it to the NFL draft that wouldn’t fit the Texans Culture.

Tyreek Hill & Kareem Hunt maybe. But guys like Kelce & Antonio Brown are out there to be had.

The Texans have passed on just as many choir boys in the draft as bad apples. I think this “Texans worthy” thing is being blown out of proportion.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
There’s not many players who make it to the NFL draft that wouldn’t fit the Texans Culture.

Tyreek Hill & Kareem Hunt maybe. But guys like Kelce & Antonio Brown are out there to be had.

The Texans have passed on just as many choir boys in the draft as bad apples. I think this “Texans worthy” thing is being blown out of proportion.
It is. Jaelen Strong getting popped for weed...... DJ Swearinger....being investigated for grand theft...Trevardo Williams & Sam Montgomery both being dismissed from the team for weed.....D'onta Foreman being brought up on drug and weapons charges right before the draft & still being drafted by the Texans in the 3rd...........the saga of Ryan Mallet......

It's 1 of the bigger myths perpetrated around here.... that the Texans only draft & pick up choir boys.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I think you're fooling yourself

There are many others they've passed on as well.

Justin Houston comes mind. Signing AD when you've got crap for RBs etc....

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It is. Jaelen Strong getting popped for weed...... DJ Swearinger....being investigated for grand theft...Trevardo Williams & Sam Montgomery both being dismissed from the team for weed.....D'onta Foreman being brought up on drug and weapons charges right before the draft & still being drafted by the Texans in the 3rd...........the saga of Ryan Mallet......

It's 1 of the bigger myths perpetrated around here.... that the Texans only draft & pick up choir boys.
Agreed. The fundamental issue is talent evaluation. Regardless of "trouble" or no trouble they're passing on more talented guys for "leadership qualities" not trouble free records.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

This isn't the "Texans worthy" thing anymore from back in the day. This is a fitting the culture thing that appears to be much more real. What is that culture? Apparently it's one that a multiple time All Pro and potential future Hall of Famer didn't fit. And if he didn't fit, guys like Antonio Brown don't come close to fitting.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This isn't the "Texans worthy" thing anymore from back in the day. This is a fitting the culture thing that appears to be much more real. What is that culture? Apparently it's one that a multiple time All Pro and potential future Hall of Famer didn't fit. And if he didn't fit, guys like Antonio Brown don't come close to fitting.
I'd like to know more about this "Texans culture" from the purely subjective opinions, because all we have to go on is the actual words spoken by the team president.

"I’m sure I’m going to make mistakes because I’m very focused on maintaining this incredibly powerful culture that we have." ~ Texans President Jamey Rootes

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
To be fair. During his rookie year, Kevin Johnson did look like a great pick. Then injuries and then the concussions seemed to impact his performance. We are seeing the same pattern with Justin Reid.
He also looked terrific at Wake Forest with no kind of injury history to red flag.

I wouldn't have said he's the best CB in that draft, thought that was clearly Marcus Peters at the time. But Peters had character concerns, and that combination of talent and concerns has held true in the league.

Johnson was only a bad pick in hindsight, and you don't get to draft in hindsight.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I think a good culture is important and a major part in the likeability and "rootability" of a franchise.

To me there's no point in rooting for the success of pieces of garbage. There's a reason we all love JJ.

I take pride in the teams I root for because I view them as a reflection of myself. Of course I do, why would I like one franchise over the other otherwise?
We stopped with the "choir boys" during O'Brien and look where that got us. A bunch of low IQ trash and the team constantly being drama-filled and unlikable. They were terrible players to boot.

No. A team has to have good people on it and be entertaining on the field too otherwise the success means jack. We watch day in day out, week in week out, year in year out for entertainments sake. Quite frankly I'd rather the team contend every year and have a chance and possess those qualities than be a detestable eyesore pile of crap that got lucky one year and pulled out a Super Bowl win.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I think a good culture is important and a major part in the likeability and "rootability" of a franchise.

To me there's no point in rooting for the success of pieces of garbage. There's a reason we all love JJ.

I take pride in the teams I root for because I view them as a reflection of myself. Of course I do, why would I like one franchise over the other otherwise?
We stopped with the "choir boys" during O'Brien and look where that got us. A bunch of low IQ trash and the team constantly being drama-filled and unlikable. They were terrible players to boot.

No. A team has to have good people on it and be entertaining on the field too otherwise the success means jack. We watch day in day out, week in week out, year in year out for entertainments sake. Quite frankly I'd rather the team contend every year and have a chance and possess those qualities than be a detestable eyesore pile of crap that got lucky one year and pulled out a Super Bowl win.
What is their definition of a good culture though? If we’re talking about keeping out wife beaters and such, I agree. But if we’re talking guys with a couple of baby mammas and such, or might have taken a puff of hippie lettuce, this team is never going to go anywhere.

If they want to bring in choir boys and turn NRG into the Osteen Center 2.0, that’s their business. Just stop pretending to be a football team.

O’Brein’s problem wasn’t that he stopped bringing in choir boys, as you mention, it’s that he got rid of good football players and replaced them with 2nd stringers, and giving away draft picks to get those 2nd stringers. This whole team is basically 2nd and 3rd string talent.

If they want a “culture” how about one of winning and accountability?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
He also looked terrific at Wake Forest with no kind of injury history to red flag.

I wouldn't have said he's the best CB in that draft, thought that was clearly Marcus Peters at the time. But Peters had character concerns, and that combination of talent and concerns has held true in the league.

Johnson was only a bad pick in hindsight, and you don't get to draft in hindsight.
Trae Wayne’s was actually taken before both Peter’s and Johnson. & again in the interest of fairness to Riddick he says that KJ was “his favorite”...I heard him say that several times too and I just took that to mean that he thought he was the best CB in that years’ draft. Nevertheless,
everything Gruden said about this kid turned out to be true.

Last edited:

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Trae Wayne’s was actually taken before both Peter’s and Johnson. & again in the interest of fairness to Riddick he says that KJ was “his favorite”...I heard him say that several times too and I just took that to mean that he thought he was the best CB in that years’ draft. Nevertheless,
everything Gruden said about this kid turned out to be true.
And I didn't really rate Trae Waynes very much..

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

'eh, after five decades of watching the epitome of futility - aka Houston pro football - I'll take the lucky degenerates getting a ring over the always-a-bridesmaid choir boys that never achieve anything significant.

That's just me, though. As Henry Russell "Red" Sanders said many decades ago: "Men, I'll be honest. Winning isn't everything. . .Men, it's the only thing!"

Give me the "tainted" Astros World Series Championship every day of the week over everything else we've endured as Houston MLB fans before that point.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Interesting..

Former Browns GM John Dorsey Working For Eagles As Consultant

The Philadelphia Eagles have apparently had former Cleveland Browns and Kansas City Chiefs general manager John Dorsey in their employ for the past few months as a consultant according to Mike Garofolo of NFL Network.

Beyond simply noting the fact that Dorsey does indeed continue to find gainful employment in the NFL, it stands out that Dorsey is working with the Eagles and Howie Roseman.

Roseman hired Browns GM Andrew Berry away as the vice president of football operations. Berry credits the move, albeit a brief one, in his further development as an executive before returning to the Browns as general manager.

In some ways, Berry was leaving the Browns not only for an opportunity to learn from Roseman, but also due to some philosophical differences in the way the Browns were operating under then general manager John Dorsey.

While Dorsey did listen to Berry, he had his own handpicked advisors like Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith and a collective mindset that disagreed with Berry as well as Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta. They relied on gut more than evidence and ignored cutting edge scouting techniques in favor of traditional ones.