Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

GM Candidates

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What more can you ask?
He was bad at cap mgmt with the Chiefs. This rumor makes me wonder if Dorsey/Bienemy are coming to Kirby as a team?

Also Dorsey wont be able to add the Kareem Hunt/Tryreke Hill's of the world do to being Not Texans Worthy. Dorsey to the Texans seems like a bad fit. However Dorsey would be the best GM in Texans history.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I heard Dorsey is coming in for an interview. I hope they sign him up so he can get to work.
You could do alot worse. He would be the best GM in Texans history.

However it bothers me that after basically putting together the Chiefs he was let go. Then hired by the lowly Browns and he puts together a playoff team that they have today and he was fired after a couple yrs. What's wrong with him? He's got an exceptional track record but cant seem to keep a job. Also he wont be allowed to pick talented but troubled guys like Huntt/Hill/Kelce in the Not Texans Worthy org. Seems like Dorsey would be a bad fit to me.

Dorsey gathers talent to win. The Texans org is more concerned with image than winning.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
Dungy on the search committee - bring in Peyton as GM!

He will be QB 'friendly' (e.g. really want to put talent around his QB - will value OL)
Great football mind
Well known/liked around the league

Well, why the hell not?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Also he wont be allowed to pick talented but troubled guys like Huntt/Hill/Kelce in the Not Texans Worthy org. Seems like Dorsey would be a bad fit to me.
In the real world, people discuss these things & sometimes bring people to their POV. Someone looking to be GM should be adept at this. If that’s what he believes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
In the real world, people discuss these things & sometimes bring people to their POV. Someone looking to be GM should be adept at this. If that’s what he believes.
After 18 yrs of doing business the Not Texans Worthy way, do you really expect Cal to changes the way business has been done down on Kirby?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He’s never worked in personnel. I don’t have a problem bringing a guy like Manning in as VP of football operations, working with a HC & GM to build a team.

But I can’t see him going straight to GM. I know John Lynch did it, but so did Matt Millen.
I have no problem adding Manning, but he's going to want part ownership and full control over the Texans org. This will never happen in a McNair run org.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Why do so many bring up Peyton Manning. Clearly dude doesn’t want to coach or be a GM. And what makes anyone think he would excel in either position?
How is it entirely clear that he doesn't want to?

And I don't know whether he'd excel, but I know that he's a very bright guy with a sharp mind for decision making and he has the kind of football knowledge that would give me the benefit of the doubt to want to talk with him about the position if he were interested. But I also don't know that anyone hired to be a coach or GM will necessarily excel.

Texansballer74

The Marine
How is it entirely clear that he doesn't want to?

And I don't know whether he'd excel, but I know that he's a very bright guy with a sharp mind for decision making and he has the kind of football knowledge that would give me the benefit of the doubt to want to talk with him about the position if he were interested. But I also don't know that anyone hired to be a coach or GM will necessarily excel.
Why isn’t he coaching? Has he ever said he wanted to?

I know he’s extremely smart but that doesn’t mean he would succeed at being a NFL coach or GM.

Kevin Mchale is pretty smart too but he didn’t succeed at coaching. Larry Bird is another one.

But you’re right he could be a dynamic HC or GM. As of right now he hasn’t made any indication of wanting to do either one. And I’m sure he was asked

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

I know he’s extremely smart but that doesn’t mean he would succeed at being a NFL coach or GM.

Kevin Mchale is pretty smart too but he didn’t succeed at coaching. Larry Bird is another one.

But you’re right he could be a dynamic HC or GM. As of right now he hasn’t made any indication of wanting to do either one. And I’m sure he was asked
From everything I've seen or read on Manning, he seems to enjoy the speculation but is also enjoying retired life.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member

You said it was clear though..

And Bird didn't do poorly as a HC. Like, what?

Ranger Tom

All Pro
Why do so many bring up Peyton Manning. Clearly dude doesn’t want to coach or be a GM. And what makes anyone think he would excel in either position?
I would be okay with having him as a GM because he played for 18 years and won SB rings with two different franchises. In theory, that plus the fact that he's a "football nerd" should give him firsthand knowledge of what kind of talent would, and wouldn't, win a championship. And while I can't find a link to a source, I'm pretty sure that he's at least considered the possibility of being a GM.

Maybe he did consider it and then decided that doing insurance commercials would be more fun.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Not saying Peyton couldn't be good. I just think there's such a huge hole to climb out of here that I'd rather not have someone getting his feet wet with it. I'd prefer someone with some experience/good track record, or if it does have to be someone new, at least someone who's been under someone's wing learning the trade.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Dorsey is OB lite. He will rule with an iron fist and be difficult to deal with. No question he has an eye for talent but his abrasive attitude and poor cap management are huge red flags. Director of scouting would be fine
I thought you were talking about Harbaugh---

badboy

Hall of Fame
Well luckily with the way OB left the current team, it's not possible for Dorsey (or anyone else) to make our cap situation worse haha :)
He could give Nick Martin and Fuller and Fulton large exorbitant extensions.
I have no problem adding Manning, but he's going to want part ownership and full control over the Texans org. This will never happen in a McNair run org.
What if Peyton, Archie and Eli bought the Texans?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
He was bad at cap mgmt with the Chiefs. This rumor makes me wonder if Dorsey/Bienemy are coming to Kirby as a team?

Also Dorsey wont be able to add the Kareem Hunt/Tryreke Hill's of the world do to being Not Texans Worthy. Dorsey to the Texans seems like a bad fit. However Dorsey would be the best GM in Texans history.
How was he bad with the cap?