Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Glenn Earl...

texan279

Hall of Fame
Didn't get to watch the game yesterday but I listened to most of it. Just wondering how Earl looked in the game.

He played pretty solid...I believe that he had 7 tackles and you didn't hear his name being mentioned too much (which is a good thing for a DB...particularly a rookie). He appeared solid in run support and didn't get burned on the deep middle...all in all he had a pretty good day.

I was surprised that he was starting, but happy none the less.

i didnt notice anything coverage wise that made me jump for joy, but he seemed to have a pretty good nose for the ball in his first NFL start. once or twice he seemed a step behind on making a decleater (which is what he was known for at notre dame), but its really a pleasent suprise he's even getting some action considering his recovery from his senoir year knee injury half way through the season. when we snagged him late in the draft, and i read up on him, he definately has the trappings of being a diamond in the rough. if he can cover tight ends, then he already is :thumbup

i must admit it was a little strange seeing #26 actually MAKING tackles instead of whiffing...

lol:

Thanks for the info J-Man. I was just curoius because I knew he started yesterday. I listened to almost all of the game on the radio, but only heard his name mentioned once or twice. Any thoughts on how he looked compared to how Brown has looked so far this season?

If I had to toss an opinion in the ring I would say he was at least comparable to Brown and keeping in mind that he is a rookie, that translates into he compares pretty favorably.

It didn't get a good feel for him in coverage since we rotated Coleman to Gonzales's side (THANK GOD!) for most of the game or had another CB covering Tony G. I think if Earl is starting next week we will get a better picture since they will probably let him isolate on the Raider TEs. The trend in these 1st few weeks is to plant a CB or ball-hawk FS on the upper tier TEs that are in the game now. This is probably due in part to the emphasis on the 5yrd No Touch rule...it basically puts the LBs in a much tougher spot trying to cover athletic TEs (ala Gonzales, Heap, Shockey, ect..). My guess is Earl will be man up on the Raiders Doug Jolley as opposed to playing middle zone or covering RBs out of the backfield.

That is exactly what I am talking about. I believe against a physical team like Oakland, Peek may flourish out of this situation. Alot has been said about how Peek doesn't perform well against the run but we didn't do much better without him in there. We should give Peek the nod and see what happens. The rook will be here for years to come and will dominate as he progresses.

well i don't think that it will matter who we start babin or peek next week...neither of them will get past robert gallery...as for earl i'd say start him...he looked better at SS than eric brown to me

Like J-Man said, as long as you don't hear this......"Glen Earl just got beat for 6!", it's a good day for the rook!

If I heard Dom Capers correctly (I was doing some other stuff and didn't get to listen too closely when Capers was on 610am this afternoon) I think Earl was in the game primarily on first and second downs, when a run was more likely. On third downs and second and long situations I think Jason Simmons was in the game.

The story on Earl at ND was that he was a heavy hitter in the middle and could handle TEs and sometimes the 3rd receiver. One thing that folks over look is that he was pretty good in coverage, that was actually one of the bonuses to him (prior to knee injury) that sometimes was overshadowed by his ability to punish receivers. The other not on Earl was that he is a solid tackler...may seem obvious since he has a rep as a hitter, but there are quite a few guys who can deliver the hit but not finish the play or they whiff (ala Matt Stevens) trying to lay someone out.

Back