Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Gimme a brief State of the Texans update!

Daravenator

Waterboy
As I mentioned in an earlier thread this summer, I transferred from Philadelphia to Houston. I have been in the area since June 9th but did not move into our new home in The Woodlands until 8/6 after we sold our home in Maryland. Been so busy I've barely had time to keep up on the Ravens preseason, let alone the Texans.

So, while I am a diehard Baltimore Ravens fan until I die, and while I followed the Eagles while working in Philly, this is a different situation actually living in another city with an NFL team. So I plan to support the Texans 15 out of 16 games this year lol. What's the outlook? Improved, declined or status quo compared to 2018? Hopefully it's a promising season. I plan on watching the game tonight against the Cowboys and will at least get some indication of individual play.

First thing is to disregard all the negativity posted here. Bottom line, we've won our division three out of the last four years, with Indy being the team to beat. This coming season we have a very tough schedule and an improved Colts team.

Last year our two weakest areas were the offensive line and our secondary. Watson faced too much pressure/sacks and we couldn't cover TE's and faster receivers.

We hopefully upgraded on defense and should be solid there.

We drafted OL in the draft but the OL is in flux until the team decides on a lineup/starting five. We should be improved, though.

When healthy, we have a solid and dangerous group of receivers.

This will be an entertaining season but, facing our schedule, a difficult one.

Welcome Daravenator -- Just curious, it says on your post that you joined the Forum in 2008?

Welcome Daravenator -- Just curious, it says on your post that you joined the Forum in 2008?

Yes. That was the year Hurricane Ike screwed us into an early (2nd week) bye due to stadium damage. I think I joined the Texans Talk forum at that time. Little did I know I'd end up here eventually!

We have a really good defense (unless clowney doesn't come back). Watching Watt and Clowney play is a lot of fun. We also have a lot of promising young linebackers and interior defensive linemen. The secondary has been the question mark with aging or injured corners, though they made several moves there this season.

We have a bad offense (despite Watson and Hopkins) because the OL and OC are so bad.

We had one of the easiest schedules last year, one of the toughest this year.

By Vegas odds, the colts are favorites to win the division and the Texans are underdogs to make the playoffs.

Oh and we don't have a GM because the head coach (who has also been the OC) took that job after firing his hand picked GM after just one year.

Outlook? You might want to stay rooting for the Ravens until Buttchin McGuin gets run out of town! I jest (kinda) ... I think we have an awesome young team. Dynamic "JESUS WITH CLEATS" Deshaun Watson - and really it all starts and ends there. This team has been carried by the defense during the Bill OBrien era, and until Watson was signed by all time great GM Rick Smith it was an embarrassing display of QB Carousel extraordinaire! Im sure you can remember that even in Maryland! Yall ended up with Mallet, who was cut here because he overslept and missed a meeting! Just like 3rd round RB D'Onta Foreman was just cut for being late to a meeting! Bill Obrien doesnt really care if you're good at football, but you better be good at obeying orders and bowing down thats for sure. Media members have to recite the rosary and splash themselves with holy water before every interview with OBrien for fear that Satan will sprout from his chin dimple and suck everyone back down into the depths. Makes it fun though. Possibility of good football mixed in with sheer terror!

We've had the worst line in NFL football history for the last few years. Lucky for us though we finally drafted the two tackles that the team needed since the interior of the line could at least be serviceable, but wait oh yeah .. OBrien would rather take those tackles and play them at guard this year. He'll trot out two wash outs at the bookends because that is obviously the better option to protect Deshaun, makes sense yeah?

Lets, see .. we have the best WR corp in football probably, but we employ a 1970s high school football passing game. Hope you love bubble screens - they're the best!! OBrien came from the Patriots the years they were killing the league with 2 TE sets and of course he will do that here, we've drafted like 10 TEs over the last 2-3 years, but yea wait again. Obrien doesnt really use the TE that much. You'll probably get one early pass if you're lucky, will usually go for a huge gain, and then it disappears. Just like Obriens courage during games. Dont expect great clock management, sucks at using the challenge flag, and likes to run everybodys favorite 13 ISO like 15 times a game. Fun stuff.

Thank god for our defense. JJ Watt first ballot HOF, what else can you say. Dude comes back from a backiotomy and just terrorized the league again. Overall #1 pick JD Clowney is probably the most balanced and complete edge defender in football, but a good portion of our contributors here see him like a piece of meat, who is undeserving of a big payday, and as such he is on the cusp of being traded and quite possible the worst time you could trade a premier player. NO VALUE to trade, but it would seem that the relationship is broken beyond repair and so bye bye JD it was swell.

Romeo Crennel is probably the most competent coach we have and for that the defense tends to keep us in games. Bend, but dont break kinda philosophy I guess, we do give up big plays, we decided that our homegrown Tier 1 CB Kareem Jackson was not worth the money he was commanding after a career year, but we did decide to pay up similar "prove it" money to Bradley Roby and you know what I hated it at first, but it looks like he might be OK. We'll see cross fingers. Father Time on the other side MY BOYYY JJO!! Still putting in work! Had a great year last year and as long as he doesnt have to face TY Hilton we should be OK. Secondary strength is at the safeties, we just signed the .. get ready .. TIGHT END WHISPERER!! OHHHH SCARRYY! LOL so yeah, Gipson will replace Honey Badger who said 'screw you guys im going to KC' ..

We have a great kicker .. Kaimi Fairbairn! he's awesome. great weapon. We just spent 1 Million bucks on a backup punter, who might just become the full time punter even though our last years punter was pretty good .. make sense? Not to me either, but hey someone will kick the punts I guarantee you that.

Overall special teams have been a disaster for this franchise since inception, its gotten a little better i guess?? Not really inspired by what i've seen so far this preseason so i've already ordered a couple of extra remotes for this year.

So yeah .. welcome to our dysfunctional gang! Im the resident sourpuss - might be a midlife crisis im experiencing or something, but whatever I have a hard time supporting stupid moves.

Have fun! be ready for a little hazing, but remember we do have an ignore feature and it can make your experience here enjoyable.

PS: I really like Lamar Jackson.

PSS: I forgot about our kick ass linebackers duhh .. definite strength all of them even the backups are good.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread this summer, I transferred from Philadelphia to Houston. I have been in the area since June 9th but did not move into our new home in The Woodlands until 8/6 after we sold our home in Maryland. Been so busy I've barely had time to keep up on the Ravens preseason, let alone the Texans.

So, while I am a diehard Baltimore Ravens fan until I die, and while I followed the Eagles while working in Philly, this is a different situation actually living in another city with an NFL team. So I plan to support the Texans 15 out of 16 games this year lol. What's the outlook? Improved, declined or status quo compared to 2018? Hopefully it's a promising season. I plan on watching the game tonight against the Cowboys and will at least get some indication of individual play.
Hey welcome to the area man ! People seem to like living in The Woodlands so what's your first impressions after just a couple weeks ?
The Texans biggest concern right now is their offensive line, especially at the all-important LT position, and tonight we are paying special attention to Rodney Johnson, a third year NFL vet who's starting just his second preseason game at LT and in the NFL.
In last weeks first start he played well but Dallas has a much stronger front 7 than last weeks opponent Detroit so tonight will be a much bigger test for him.
Anyway glad you joined up Daravenator and look forward to your input.
Oh BTW I kinda like the Eagles to, really the only NFC team I sorta support.

Yes, we had an underperforming/bad offense LAST SEASON. This in part was a result of three key injuries. Significantly, we lost our RT in the first game; and we lost 2/3 of our receivers. Also, we had no depth at LT and started inexperienced Davenport, who struggled.

But this was last year. We have significantly addressed our OL this past offseason and could possibly have a turnover at all 5 positions. This will be key to our season.

Yes, we had an underperforming/bad offense LAST SEASON. This in part was a result of three key injuries. Significantly, we lost our RT in the first game; and we lost 2/3 of our receivers. Also, we had no depth at LT and started inexperienced Davenport, who struggled.

But this was last year. We have significantly addressed our OL this past offseason and could possibly have a turnover at all 5 positions. This will be key to our season.

Last season? Every year under OBrien the offense hasn't been good. Last time the offense was good was 2012

Deshaun Watson and Hopkins are the highlight of the offense. Maybe you can write a letter to Harbaugh to convince his brother to coach the Texans?

:kitten:

Lots of talent. Coach sucks. Underachieving team.

I doubt Texans will win 11 games this season. They had an easier schedule last year.
The Oline should be improved but will likely take time to gel.
I expect Watson will take the next step up in his development and I think the sack count will be drastically reduced.
The running game will be boosted and this team plays well with a strong one.
My biggest concern will be the secondary.
If key players on both sides of the ball can avoid the injury bug, I think they will still make the playoffs.

Retired from over 20 years in the Woodlands. Retired in the Hill Country. Enjoy the humidity in the Woods, lol. As you will find out, sift through the negative bs here unless it’s your things but living in the Woodlands I doubt you will find much in common with these kids. Good team, good city, great tailgating.

Hey welcome to the area man ! People seem to like living in The Woodlands so what's your first impressions after just a couple weeks ?
The Texans biggest concern right now is their offensive line, especially at the all-important LT position, and tonight we are paying special attention to Rodney Johnson, a third year NFL vet who's starting just his second preseason game at LT and in the NFL.
In last weeks first start he played well but Dallas has a much stronger front 7 than last weeks opponent Detroit so tonight will be a much bigger test for him.
Anyway glad you joined up Daravenator and look forward to your input.
Oh BTW I kinda like the Eagles to, really the only NFC team I sorta support.

So far, so good. A lot of traffic and many (and long) red lights, but lots to do. Found a few nice bars/pubs close to "home". Not used to palm trees yet, though!

Hi everyone I see lots familiar faces. I wrote here more so few years ago. You guys are still an awesome group of proud Houstonians I had great mnemories back there there w Oilers and Houston . I read a lot here and appreciate TexansTalk over the years. Thank you again.
It was the very early L Miller injury I'm sure that jabbed hard n first series and not so much the score after all it's preseason. I hope he recovers soon.
Go Texans!

Outlook? You might want to stay rooting for the Ravens until Buttchin McGuin gets run out of town! I jest (kinda) ... I think we have an awesome young team. Dynamic "JESUS WITH CLEATS" Deshaun Watson - and really it all starts and ends there. This team has been carried by the defense during the Bill OBrien era, and until Watson was signed by all time great GM Rick Smith it was an embarrassing display of QB Carousel extraordinaire! Im sure you can remember that even in Maryland! Yall ended up with Mallet, who was cut here because he overslept and missed a meeting! Just like 3rd round RB D'Onta Foreman was just cut for being late to a meeting! Bill Obrien doesnt really care if you're good at football, but you better be good at obeying orders and bowing down thats for sure. Media members have to recite the rosary and splash themselves with holy water before every interview with OBrien for fear that Satan will sprout from his chin dimple and suck everyone back down into the depths. Makes it fun though. Possibility of good football mixed in with sheer terror!

We've had the worst line in NFL football history for the last few years. Lucky for us though we finally drafted the two tackles that the team needed since the interior of the line could at least be serviceable, but wait oh yeah .. OBrien would rather take those tackles and play them at guard this year. He'll trot out two wash outs at the bookends because that is obviously the better option to protect Deshaun, makes sense yeah?

Lets, see .. we have the best WR corp in football probably, but we employ a 1970s high school football passing game. Hope you love bubble screens - they're the best!! OBrien came from the Patriots the years they were killing the league with 2 TE sets and of course he will do that here, we've drafted like 10 TEs over the last 2-3 years, but yea wait again. Obrien doesnt really use the TE that much. You'll probably get one early pass if you're lucky, will usually go for a huge gain, and then it disappears. Just like Obriens courage during games. Dont expect great clock management, sucks at using the challenge flag, and likes to run everybodys favorite 13 ISO like 15 times a game. Fun stuff.

Thank god for our defense. JJ Watt first ballot HOF, what else can you say. Dude comes back from a backiotomy and just terrorized the league again. Overall #1 pick JD Clowney is probably the most balanced and complete edge defender in football, but a good portion of our contributors here see him like a piece of meat, who is undeserving of a big payday, and as such he is on the cusp of being traded and quite possible the worst time you could trade a premier player. NO VALUE to trade, but it would seem that the relationship is broken beyond repair and so bye bye JD it was swell.

Romeo Crennel is probably the most competent coach we have and for that the defense tends to keep us in games. Bend, but dont break kinda philosophy I guess, we do give up big plays, we decided that our homegrown Tier 1 CB Kareem Jackson was not worth the money he was commanding after a career year, but we did decide to pay up similar "prove it" money to Bradley Roby and you know what I hated it at first, but it looks like he might be OK. We'll see cross fingers. Father Time on the other side MY BOYYY JJO!! Still putting in work! Had a great year last year and as long as he doesnt have to face TY Hilton we should be OK. Secondary strength is at the safeties, we just signed the .. get ready .. TIGHT END WHISPERER!! OHHHH SCARRYY! LOL so yeah, Gipson will replace Honey Badger who said 'screw you guys im going to KC' ..

We have a great kicker .. Kaimi Fairbairn! he's awesome. great weapon. We just spent 1 Million bucks on a backup punter, who might just become the full time punter even though our last years punter was pretty good .. make sense? Not to me either, but hey someone will kick the punts I guarantee you that.

Overall special teams have been a disaster for this franchise since inception, its gotten a little better i guess?? Not really inspired by what i've seen so far this preseason so i've already ordered a couple of extra remotes for this year.

So yeah .. welcome to our dysfunctional gang! Im the resident sourpuss - might be a midlife crisis im experiencing or something, but whatever I have a hard time supporting stupid moves.

Have fun! be ready for a little hazing, but remember we do have an ignore feature and it can make your experience here enjoyable.

PS: I really like Lamar Jackson.

PSS: I forgot about our kick ass linebackers duhh .. definite strength all of them even the backups are good.

I said brief lol. But great synopsis there. Yeah, I don't get the hold-up on Clowney. Too good a talent to basically let walk.
Retired from over 20 years in the Woodlands. Retired in the Hill Country. Enjoy the humidity in the Woods, lol. As you will find out, sift through the negative bs here unless it’s your things but living in the Woodlands I doubt you will find much in common with these kids. Good team, good city, great tailgating.

I'm used to the humidity. It gets IMO more humid and sticky in Maryland than here. At least there's a breeze here.

And I found a place that sells live crabs, so we're good!

b264ebcfbba498d56e7e0d39a8fc5b55.gif

Here’s all you really need to know. We have enough playmaking talent to compete with just about any team in the league, but our coach is about as bad as coach Klein from the water boy, so we’ll just continue to spin our wheels until our core retires because the owners only care about the thousands of season tickets they sell

Attachments

• B53620AE-CCD2-4FE3-ADBD-A918D28B3B09.jpeg
    B53620AE-CCD2-4FE3-ADBD-A918D28B3B09.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 6
Here’s all you really need to know. We have enough playmaking talent to compete with just about any team in the league, but our coach is about as bad as coach Klein from the water boy, so we’ll just continue to spin our wheels until our core retires because the owners only care about the thousands of season tickets they sell
Owners and coaches. As an Orioles fan, I know that mantra very well.

What in particular does O’Brien do/doesn’t do that makes him a bad coach in your eyes? Play calling? Clock management? Judge of talent?

Watt, Hopkins, and Watson?
Yes, maybe but too soon to know, way too soon to have any idea!
Watt for sure, probably first ballot, but Hopkins could a have a shot but there's a lot of uncertainty remaining for him to get to the HOF, and
DW4s NFL career is just beginning so far to soon to be even giving odds on his chances.

All of the above.
I will have to pay close attention during the season to see what I see on a week-by-week basis. Hard to judge a HC when you watch one or two games a season. But the consensus (at least on this forum) is that most have zero faith in O'Brien. Has to be some truth there.

I will have to pay close attention during the season to see what I see on a week-by-week basis. Hard to judge a HC when you watch one or two games a season. But the consensus (at least on this forum) is that most have zero faith in O'Brien. Has to be some truth there.

Not really. You can go to every teams' message board as i often do and read about how bad the HC is.....Hell, there were even a contigent of Pats fans that were ready to move on from Belichick in that 10 year period they didn't win a championship. There's always that contigent of the fan base that think they know better than the guy currently tasked to know.

Reactions: JB
The Texans just lost their starting RB. Last year, the Texans had most of their big time starters intact minus Will Fuller (after the Miami game), while playing the lowest ranked AFC teams and while they had a nice 9 game winning streak after a 3 game losing streak to start the season, they still had no answer for Andrew Luck or TY Hilton. They came into NRG and pretty much did what they wanted to. So basically what I'm saying is we have issues on the defense both getting to the QB and especially covering wide receivers. This season the Texans get to play the highest ranked AFC teams. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have put the bar pretty low for the Texans this year, long before Miller got hurt. If they make the playoffs this year I will be thrilled.

Owners and coaches. As an Orioles fan, I know that mantra very well.

What in particular does O’Brien do/doesn’t do that makes him a bad coach in your eyes? Play calling? Clock management? Judge of talent?

Short answer, yes. Lol his play calling is conservative. Clock management is beyond abysmal. Judge of talent he’s actually pretty average about. But he takes our young players and makes them learn 3 different positions at once and then brings in guys like kelemente that can line up at multiple positions but are horrible at all of them

Back