Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[Fox SPorts] Top 99 in '09

Mike Kerns

LYSB Podcast
Interesting analysis. Three Texans players made the list.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9665338/NFL's-top-99-player-rankings-for-'09

62. DeMeco Ryans, LB, Houston Texans: The leader of the young Texans defense, Ryans enters his fourth year in the league as one of the top linebackers in the game. He'll be working under a new scheme in '09. The addition of DE Antonio Smith on the defensive line should only help Ryans emerge as an even greater field general in the eyes of the mainstream fans and media.

27. Mario Williams, DE, Houston Texans: Williams isn't a kid anymore, and now entering his 4th season in the league he's considered one of the game's premier defensive players. Last year, he didn't have quite the season he had in '07, but he should be on the prowl for the upstart Texans in '09. There's a lot of dark-horse talk for Houston this year. Williams is one of the major reasons why.

13. Andre Johnson, WR, Houston Texans: Johnson emerged as one of the league's top receivers in '08, catching league-highs in both catches (115) and yards(1,575). He's unstoppable. Expect the same — if not bigger — numbers in '09.

Not terrible. I do have to say I disagree with this one though:

99. Reggie Bush, RB, New Orleans Saints: One of the tougher players to slot on this list, Bush gets the benefit of the doubt and cracks the Top 99. Barely. What to make of him, though? After three years in the league, is Bush the best punt returner/scat back in NFL history? A middle-of-the-road, complementary piece at running back? Or is he a colossal bust for being drafted No. 2 overall in 2006? He's my 99th-rated player in the NFL, which means he's somewhere in between all three.

Seems like he is putting him on here just because of where he was drafted. And I was a big Reggie supporter before the '06 Draft. But thats a whole different discussion. My apologies.

So, think any other Texans should have made the list? Discuss.

Where is the guy who won the Rookie rushing title? The two guys he beat out are on the list.

Title Holder: 1,282
Forte: 1,238
Johnson: 1,228

Where is the guy who won the Rookie rushing title? The two guys he beat out are on the list.

Title Holder: 1,282
Forte: 1,238
Johnson: 1,228

At first I was like "Well, Slaton was a rookie. So okay." But if those two guys are on the list...:gun:

Apparently, Slaton wasn't even on the cusp.

And if you're a fan of Aaron Rodgers, Darrelle Revis, Nate Clements, Willis McGahee, LeRoy Hill, Walter Jones, Ronnie Brown, Jason Brown, Chad Pennington, Matt Hasselbeck, Lee Evans, Antoine Winfield, Torry Holt, Dallas Clark, Jeff Saturday, Shaun Rogers, Kellen Winslow, Jr, Tommie Harris, Jake Delhomme, Kirk Morrison, Trent Cole, John Carlson, Antonio Pierce, Dwayne Bowe, Frank Gore, Jay Ratliff, Ronde Barber, Mike Brown, Greg Jennings, Nick Collins and Braylon Edwards - know that your guys were right on the cusp.

wth?

As for Bush being the best punt returner or scat back? Again, what the hell? He wasn't first in average yards per return and he was tied with 3 TDs. Weird

I've always thought that when rating players, it should be a mix of just pure stats alone along with the individual players importance to the team he plays on. With the stats carrying the bigger portion of the rating percentage.

But, everyone and their brother puts out these lists, and as we all know, if you team is popular with the national press you'll have more of your team on these lists.

as we all know, if you team is popular with the national press you'll have more of your team on these lists.

True. Which makes the fact that we have three on this list even more impressive. Lets hope we have another good showing on Monday Night Football this year.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but any list that has Johnson, Forte and Bush on it, but left off Slaton and OD, can't be a list I would put much stock in. And that's my opinion! :pirate:

Last edited:
I love how all year last season we heard how Andre "is the best receiver in the league"....lead the league in catches and yards all season. Then we have to here crap like this...

4. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Arizona Cardinals: Fitzgerald is the best receiver in the league. When it's all said and done, he might end up being the best wide receiver to ever step on a football field. Yeah, I wrote it.

Wow...way to overrate somebody. Hear that Jerry. :rolleyes:

I have no problem with somebody calling Larry Fitz the best in the league, but him and Andre are 1.a and 1.b and while he has Larry going on to be the best ever he just has Andre Johnson as...
Johnson emerged as one of the league's top receivers in '08, catching league-highs in both catches (115) and yards(1,575).

Not to mention he gave a obvious snub to a probowler in Daniels and passed up technically the best rookie running back for two other rookies, not to mention Reggie freaking Bush

Back