banned1976

sleeper mode

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Can you say “awkward”?

Rivers McCown (@riversmccown) Tweeted:
Asked what makes Bill O'Brien a good head coach, J.J. Watt really could not come up with a great answer on the spot. "That's his role and I think that's what obviously he excels at," is where he left it about 20 seconds later. https://t.co/MIUcPJq9up

Wow! That pause, body language, and overall hesitancy with his uncertain reply speaks volumes.

JJ is just treading water at this point. He knows this team is not going to ever achieve greatness with this HC/GM, so he seems resigned to be a professional and continue to develop and promote his after-football career.

He's another HoF player that was unfortunately cursed with the Houston pro football jinx. He seems to have just accepted his fate like the rest of them.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Wow! That pause, body language, and overall hesitancy with his uncertain reply speaks volumes.

JJ is just treading water at this point. He knows this team is not going to ever achieve greatness with this HC/GM, so he seems resigned to be a professional and continue to develop and promote his after-football career.

He's another HoF player that was unfortunately cursed with the Houston pro football jinx. He seems to have just accepted his fate like the rest of them.
Yeah, he looked like he was enjoying himself before the question about O’Brien.

I wouldn’t begrudge Watt if he broke character and demanded a trade. Of course, I don’t feel sorry for him, he’s doing just fine. But a change of scenery, maybe playing for a HC that actually acknowledges one of the best players on the team (in the game!) would be more rewarding. It wouldn’t surprise me a bit to learn that Watt and O’Brien have never actually had a conversation, about anything. Hopkins said that type of cold relationship existed between he and O’Brien and Hopkins had been one of the centerpieces on the offense for 6 years.

It’s fine for a HC to keep that distance, I guess. But it makes me wonder if O’Brien could get more out of the players if he loosened up a bit.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Isn't that where you're supposed to crumple up a piece of paper and make it sound like the connection is bad? Oh, right, video. He could have just moved his lips and acted like the sound went out. Pay no mind to the dog barking in the background.

nut

Veteran
HC/GM/Obrion King takes everything personal. JJ might be his biggest fan. It appears though that if any player on the team were to say anything negative about Teapot, he would boil over.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Bill O’Brien made #2 on this list. Unfortunately for us Texans fans, this is a countdown list of the 7 worst decisions SINCE the 2020 draft completed.

We all know what the worst overall decision made by a GM was in all of 2020, but that’s on a different list.

zshawn10

All Pro
GM/HC Bill O'Brien speaking to the media via Zoom.
"On behalf of the Houston Texans, we want to send our deepest, our deepest condolences to the family of George Floyd."
— Drew Dougherty (@DoughertyDrew) June 3, 2020
O’Brien cites how "unbelievably strong" the Floyd family has been, and how they’ve been a great "example" for this country.

O’Brien: what happened yesterday at Discovery Green and in downtown Houston was a great example of what our city is.

O’Brien: These are statements, and statements aren’t enough. But it’s important to speak out.

O’Brien: I’m emotional. I’m sad. I’m frustrated bc I’m questioning what I can do more.

O’Brien: we won’t meet virtually as a team on June 9. Am encouraging players to attend George Floyd’s funeral, if they’re able.
Bill O'Brien jumps in on media conference call with S Michael Thomas: On behalf of the Houston Texans, we went to send our deepest, deepest condolences to Houston's own George Floyd and his family. #Texans
— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) June 3, 2020
O’Brien: Our hearts go out to the black community, especially in Houston. We stand with you. We all have to stand up and recognize that what is going on in this country is wrong. It is wrong. #Texans

"We have to stand by the black community." – O’Brien says he spoke with #Dolphins HC & friend Brian Flores. #Texans

O’Brien says he has learned a lot in his career from Romeo Crennel on coaching in the 60s, Deshaun Watson growing up in Gainesville and Kenny Stills on why he takes a knee & among others. #Texans

"I think as a white head football coach in the league, it’s important to speak out." – O’Brien. #Texans

O’Brien says no virtual meeting on June 9 so that players can go to George Floyd’s funeral in Houston. #Texans
Bill O'Brien: 'We've been thinking and listening and trying to understand and speak from my heart. On behalf of the Houston Texans, we want to send our deepest condolences to the family of George Floyd. The Floyd family has been an unbelievable example for this country.'
— Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) June 3, 2020
Bill O’Brien praising Houston: ‘Houston has united around the Floyd family. Our hearts go out to that family. Our hearts go out to the black community in this country. We stand by you and we are ready to do our part in this community.’

Bill O’Brien: ‘We all have to do our part. We all have to do it now’

Bill O’Brien: ‘What we saw in Minneapolis is horrendous’

Spoke with Dolphins coach Brian Flores, his friend yesterday.

Bill O’Brien: ‘We have to do our part. We have to listen. We have to stand by the black community. The McNairs are heartbroken by the murder of George Floyd and are committed do whatever they can to bring social justice to our community.’

Bill O’Brien said he has had many conversations with Kenny Stills about why he kneels during the national anthem. ‘We all know why he takes a knee’ ’I’ve learned a lot from talking to Kenny Stills over the last year why he takes a knee. I think we all know why Kenny takes a knee, why Eric Reid takes a knee.’

Texans coach Bill O’Brien said the team will not meet on the day of the George Floyd funeral

Bill O’Brien: ’I’m sad, I’m frustrated’

Bill O’Brien said ‘As a white head coach, I think it’s important to speak out’
Bill O’Brien was on #Texans Zoom call with Michael Thomas:"On behalf of the Houston Texans I want to send our deepest condolences to the George Floyd family-Our hearts go out to the black community-What is going on in this country is wrong-We have to stand by the black community"
— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) June 3, 2020
Bill O’Brien: "I’m sad. I’ve got to do more…It breaks my heart and makes me and angry."
Bill O’Brien says the #Texans will not have any virtual meetings June ninth, the day of the funeral for George Floyd. He’s encouraging his players to go to the funeral if they can. #GeorgeFloyd #BlackLivesMatter
#texans Bill O’Brien joined the scheduled ZOOM call with Michael Thomas this morning with the media. OB wanted to voice his thoughts on what’s been going on in our country.
"The Floyd family has been an unbelievable example for this country."
— James Palmer (@JamesPalmerTV) June 3, 2020
O’Brien said he’s talked a lot over the last year with Kenny Stills. OB said he understands why Stills takes a knee. Why Eric Reid takes a knee.
O’Brien said that the #texans will not have virtual meetings on the day of George Floyd’s funeral. He also encourages players to attend if that is possible.
Bill O’Brien talked almost 13 minutes about George Floyd & the current situation in our country following his death. OB was passionate in his message. Once Michael Thomas started speaking he wanted to thank OB and he was actually emotional thanking his coach for his message.
Michael Thomas, one of the best people in the NFL, speaking to the Houston media: pic.twitter.com/9vL9C4ZQU7

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I don't know why this landed in this thread, good for him though.. See, you can denounce the actions of those police officers without burning, looting cities, and victimizing innocent people.

Now back on topic.. still doesn't change the fact that he's a crappy head coach. Hopefully he's deemed "non-essential" by season's end. :)

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I just lisended to those remarks or atleast a large part of them on 610AM in my car.
Fairly impressive especailly for O'Brien but likely from a prepared text, and we should expect the Texans org to step up on this tragedy since this is Mr Loyds hometown.
Hopefully the McNair family will make a serious financial contribution to the cause of dealing with socieconmic impediments expierenced by Black folks.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I am shocked that Bill's statement did not get more posts on MB. I thought it was great and seemed sincere. He said that the McNairs (Cal) would have more to say today but I was out of car after that comment.

[/https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/cal-mcnair-wants-to-use-his-platform-to-empower-black-leaders-in-the-community

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I just lisended to those remarks or atleast a large part of them on 610AM in my car.
Fairly impressive especailly for O'Brien but likely from a prepared text, and we should expect the Texans org to step up on this tragedy since this is Mr Loyds hometown.
Hopefully the McNair family will make a serious financial contribution to the cause of dealing with socieconmic impediments expierenced by Black folks.
I'm for Robert Johnson's plan and be done with giving money.

Mangler

Toro de España
He didn't get out coached in this one. He got out performed. The last drive was laughable.
Well, O’Brien is always getting outperformed.
Nice words from Cal - props to whoever wrote them - but his delivery would have had some sincerity if he wasn't reading them like it's the first time he's ever read them.
I agree. But, at least it wasn’t Donald Trump level bad, where he can’t even read or pronounce simple/common words.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I wonder what the failure threshold is that would force the McNairs to regime change. :thinking:

2-14 has done it twice.

Is this the same trigger point for O'Brien's release? Or, does 2-14 in a COVID year give him a 'get out of jail free' card with this ownership?

I'm really curious how bad it would have to be for them to finally see the light. Because I do believe that their heads are shoved so far up where there is only darkness that I'm just not sure if any light could make it to them in 2020. . .

Decim8

Veteran
I wonder what the failure threshold is that would force the McNairs to regime change. :thinking:

2-14 has done it twice.

Is this the same trigger point for O'Brien's release? Or, does 2-14 in a COVID year give him a 'get out of jail free' card with this ownership?

I'm really curious how bad it would have to be for them to finally see the light. Because I do believe that their heads are shoved so far up where there is only darkness that I'm just not sure if any light could make it to them in 2020. . .
Correct me if I'm wrong, Didn't he just signed an extension last year? 2 - 14 might do it, might not

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Correct me if I'm wrong, Didn't he just signed an extension last year? 2 - 14 might do it, might not
Yep. Which is part of the reason that I'm curious about the McNair failure threshold. I have my doubts that they would be willing to swallow their pride just a year after giving him an extension and lots more power in the organization.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

2-14 has done it twice.

I've wondered the same thing in recent weeks , posted this thought several times.

2-14 got it done twice ....

OB has already survived a 4-12 season. A home playoff embarrassment to the Colts and last years 51-7 Chiefs debacle putting Houston football teams on the wrong end of the two largest playoff comebacks in history.

I have to wonder if it was a financial decision not to part ways with him after last year , not wanting to pay him $15m+ to go away .... and pay another coach. Same thing will apply after this season - I think at best we'll get rid of him after next season when he only has one year left ... his deal expires in 2022.

mws

Rookie
I have to wonder if it was a financial decision not to part ways with him after last year , not wanting to pay him $15m+ to go away .... and pay another coach. Same thing will apply after this season - I think at best we'll get rid of him after next season when he only has one year left ... his deal expires in 2022.
Brian Gaine signed a 5 year contract in January 2018. I assume the Texans are still on the hook for his salary through January of 2022. Add O'Brien's salary to that and it is going to be pretty expensive to get rid of him.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
QB rating goes on a scale of 0-100 where 50 is average. It takes a lot more into consideration than what passer rating does. PR only accounts for your completion percentage, yards, TD and INT. Perfect score their is 158.

Ryan Tannehill led the NFL in passer rating last year because he had a good completion percentage, good TD/INT ratio, and high yards per attempt. In QB rating however, that shows more of his overall impact on the game, he was 8th.

gafftop

All Pro
This is the only thread that really matters because as long as he is here the Texans will not get any better but the whole franchise will continue to decline. In the shape it is in now the Texans will have a hard time getting a real GM. **** maybe this is B'Ob's plans. Bankrupt the team until no one else will want to take his jobs. He is doing a damn good job at doing this. No real cap space and draft choices to improve team. Old and broken down receivers and RB's just for an example.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The only reason this game was a blowout instead of a shootout was Bill OBrien. If we punt it there at our own 30 yard line, this entire game remains manageable beyond half time, and gives us a chance to win.
Going for it and not making it, giving the Ravens a really short field, kept them from having a long time consuming drive had they punted. Great strategy to get the ball back quicker.

gafftop

All Pro
Can you say “awkward”?

Rivers McCown (@riversmccown) Tweeted:
Asked what makes Bill O'Brien a good head coach, J.J. Watt really could not come up with a great answer on the spot. "That's his role and I think that's what obviously he excels at," is where he left it about 20 seconds later. https://t.co/MIUcPJq9up

If JJ or Watson are asked this question they should respond with NO COMMENT
Maybe even McDead/Mcdon'tcare will get the message

Status
Not open for further replies.