Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Well, Hernandez did bring a bunch of his baby momma's around the Pats.
Why are you talking out of your arse? Hernandez had one child by his fiancé. Why are you attempting to explain O’Brien’s words and how they were taken out of context when you weren’t there? There needs to be an investigation by Goodell and the NFLPA into this meeting that , if true, is wildly inappropriate.

Please, stop defending the indefensible.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why are you talking out of your arse? Hernandez had one child by his fiancé. Why are you attempting to explain O’Brien’s words and how they were taken out of context when you weren’t there? There needs to be an investigation by Goodell and the NFLPA into this meeting that , if true, is wildly inappropriate.

Please, stop defending the indefensible.
One child that you know of.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’ve actually read the 1st amendment. What does that have to do with his post?
Does freedom of speech still exist in your liberal world. You want there to be consequences for BOB /Bob McNair giving their views because you disagree with their views. Well, the fans that buy the tickets have spoken about those consequences. Deal with it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Which didn't have to be done like there was an imminent deadline at the doorstep. He was under contract, a team friendly one at that, for 3 more years.
For some reason, that point gets conveniently ignored.
It's not being ignored. I'm coming in from the position that Hopkins wanted a new deal which led to O'brien's, "you outperformed your contract but we don't want to pay you." Comment.

Like I said, whether we like it or not a win for Hopkins was part of the deal.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Does freedom of speech still exist in your liberal world.
I think I’ve explained this to you before. Freedom of speech refers to the government not being able to suppress your public speech. Nothing to do with what is being discussed.

Maybe you’ll get this, maybe not. Think of Bill as your supervisor at work. He brings you into a meeting and tells you he hasn’t had to do this since when he had another employee who was a convicted murderer. And then began a discussion regarding the mothers of your children. Do you think that’s OK with your HR department? Would you feel that was appropriate material to discuss between a supervisor and an employee? Can you see the difference between this and protected free speech?

I think I’ve explained this to you before. Freedom of speech refers to the government not being able to suppress your public speech. Nothing to do with what is being discussed.

Maybe you’ll get this, maybe not. Think of Bill as your supervisor at work. He brings you into a meeting and tells you he hasn’t had to do this since when he had another employee who was a convicted murderer. And then began a discussion regarding the mothers of your children. Do you think that’s OK with your HR department? Would you feel that was appropriate material to discuss between a supervisor and an employee? Can you see the difference between this and protected free speech?
The fact you're having to explain this to someone is a testament to the abject failure of our education system, although I applaud your persistence in the face of overwhelming dissociation.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Think of Bill as your supervisor at work. He brings you into a meeting and tells you he hasn’t had to do this since when he had another employee who was a convicted murderer. And then began a discussion regarding the mothers of your children. Do you think that’s OK with your HR department? Would you feel that was appropriate material to discuss between a supervisor and an employee?
Were I in HR I don’t think I’d have a problem with it. #1 we don’t know what BO’b was referring to. Maybe he sees Hopkins’ hanger ons as similar to the people Hernandez surrounded himself with. Not an outright criminal element per se, but people with no direction in there lives influencing Hopkins more than Hanger ons should. (Just a theory)

#2 it’s my understanding that athletes are warned day 1 about the pitfalls some women present. It’s part of the conversation for people in his situation that could end in a Ray Rice deal.

I don’t know the meat of the conversation, of what I do know it was one of those difficult conversations employers should have with their employees from time to time. Coach sometimes become defacto father figures, even in the NFL.

Were I in HR I don’t think I’d have a problem with it. #1 we don’t know what BO’b was referring to. Maybe he sees Hopkins’ hanger ons as similar to the people Hernandez surrounded himself with. Not an outright criminal element per se, but people with no direction in there lives influencing Hopkins more than Hanger ons should. (Just a theory)

#2 it’s my understanding that athletes are warned day 1 about the pitfalls some women present. It’s part of the conversation for people in his situation that could end in a Ray Rice deal.

I don’t know the meat of the conversation, of what I do know it was one of those difficult conversations employers should have with their employees from time to time. Coach sometimes become defacto father figures, even in the NFL.
Certainly we don't know the whole truth but "if" it took place as rumored then the one thing that would determine if its worthy of internal repercussion would be the Texans policy. Their employee handbook or any policy in place that would govern communication, professionalism, management, conduct etc. would be used as a reference. Two external things that most companies worry about when it comes to conduct is if its worthy of a legal complaint (EEO, OSHA, state/federal lawsuit, etc) or if it affects their brand ($$$). In the grand scheme of things, we already see where the Texans stand.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

I agree with your comment regarding difficult conversations between employers and employees. It's one reason, employees will speak to an HR rep or EAP counselor before speaking with their direct supervisors.

After Hernandez was arrrested, Belichick hired Easterby specifically to help the players recover from the attention and scrutiny of Hernandez getting arrested, build better relationships and improve the team culture. Maybe the "message" should have been delivered by someone more experienced with these types of conversations. Maybe, I don't know...... Jack Easterby?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I agree with your comment regarding difficult conversations between employers and employees. It's one reason, employees will speak to an HR rep or EAP counselor before speaking with their direct supervisors.

After Hernandez was arrrested, Belichick hired Easterby specifically to help the players recover from the attention and scrutiny of Hernandez getting arrested, build better relationships and improve the team culture. Maybe the "message" should have been delivered by someone more experienced with these types of conversations. Maybe, I don't know...... Jack Easterby?
Is a very good point, regardless what people might think of his football knowledge the fact is Easterby was originally hired as a counselor and frankly has experience in this. Seems to me this kind of thing would have been right up his alley so why not utilized him.

If nothing else it would have been good for separation of jobs. As the HC OB has to have an at least working relationship with players and there is absolutely no way that a conversation like this wouldn’t create at least a strain between whatever two people have it. Easterby could have had this talk and even if Hopkins did get mad it wouldn’t be directed at a OB as the HC.

zshawn10

All Pro
O’Brien O’ver his head

One of Brady’s former coaches, Texans’ coach and general manager Bill O’Brien, has quietly become one of the most powerful figures in the NFL. While O’Brien has the cherished "control" that many coaches desire, I would say to him: "Careful what you wish for."

During my time with the Packers, there were a few years—after general manager Ron Wolf retired—that Mike Sherman stepped into the role of coach/general manager. At times Sherman would come to me and say "Andrew, I need you to be the bad guy here." And I totally understood; Sherman needed the players’ trust and had to remove himself from being the one controlling player purse strings. Someone else (me) needed to serve that role. Longtime Eagles President Joe Banner served that role in Philadelphia when Andy Reid was coach/general manager, and others have served similar capacities. O’Brien is that "bad guy," and the team has suffered as a result

O’Brien has been exposed in his general manager role, most recently in dealing star wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins to the Cardinals for a second-round pick and a running back (David Johnson) that may well have been released. The "comp" for the trade came that same day when the Vikings secured a first-round pick for Stefon Diggs, a lesser wide receiver than Hopkins.

Last year, O’Brien gave up two first-round picks for left tackle Laremy Tunsil and did not negotiate a companion contract extension for Tunsil, another mark of an inexperienced front office. In contrast, the Colts acquired DeForest Buckner earlier this month for a first-round pick and negotiated a contract extension simultaneously along with the trade.

And O’Brien’s most puzzling move as general manager was trading Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle at the end of training camp last year in exchange for a couple of middling players and a third-round pick. And that was not the worst part: the Texans also paid half of Clowney’s salary (so he could play for the Seahawks). Yes, O’Brien traded a premier player at a premium position AND $7 MILLION for a couple of average players and a mid-round pick.

O’Brien is being taken advantage of by savvy NFL general managers who smell blood in the water. And, in some ways, it’s not his fault that he is underprepared for the role. It is a role that, even if desired, O’Brien should not have. Unless your name is Bill Belichick, those roles should be handled by different people. And that is on Texans’ senior leadership, not O’Brien, to correct.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Cant lie, it still makes me chuckle when people try to spin it with "Nobody was offering more than a 2nd rounder for DeAndre Hopkins cuz he wanted more money" LMAOOOOOO - and giving up a 1st for Diggs when he too will want "more money" is a commandment of logic somehow?

Bill OBrien was played .. AGain. Why is it so hard to accept that and move on? Every single person with a functioning brain can see it and yet there are pockets of the OBrien Regulators that wont admit it. Cult style adoration for Bill OBrien??? BILL OBRIEN? SMH.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Bill OBrien was played .. AGain. Why is it so hard to accept that and move on? Every single person with a functioning brain can see it and yet there are pockets of the OBrien Regulators that wont admit it. Cult style adoration for Bill OBrien??? BILL OBRIEN? SMH.
Can you name ANYONE on this board who hasn't said that OB shouldn't have been fired? I stated back before BOB passed that Cal was going to make us rue the day he did. Looks like that was a correct assessment

Texansballer74

The Marine
Can you name ANYONE on this board who hasn't said that OB shouldn't have been fired? I stated back before BOB passed that Cal was going to make us rue the day he did. Looks like that was a correct assessment
I think he’s referring to those few members that are trying to make light of the situation. Those members are basically giving O’Brien a pass without actually typing it.

You were spot on with that assessment for sure.

Reactions: JB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
s
I think he’s referring to those few members that are trying to make light of the situation. Those members are basically giving O’Brien a pass without actually typing it.
I don't know of any making light of the situation. Some are trying to remain optimistic (gets harder every day) realizing that we (as fans) have no influence in the decision making and understanding that he is most likely going to be here at least 2 more years regardless of our wishes. Others, like UR, seem to delight in the misery that surrounds our favorite football team and enjoy living in the negativity that none here can change

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Out of curiosity, what were the signs that tipped you off?

chicagotexan2

Easterby = Little Finger/Cal = Fredo Corleone
I really thought that Cal would be a decent owner but he's solely to blame for O'Brien's eff-ups as a GM. There is no logical explanation for giving a HC more responsibility to run a team when the HC can't even get time management, play calling and advance beyond the 2nd round in the playoffs right after 6 damn seasons. It looks like the Houston Texans are content with the Bengals mentality of settling for 'slightly above average'. That plateau of mediocrity lasted around 14 seasons so I've resigned myself to seeing this incompetence for a while to come.

I truly hate the sight of BoB's stupid face because he thinks he's so damn smart, but to all other GMs he's the slump buster.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
That was a combination of two different post. sorry! the first two sentence were a completely different subject.

I fixed it.

what reasons that were listed? The only one I could find is that he was fazed out of Kingsberry's offense. WHY??? His skill set should of been perfect for that offense. The reports Ive read are that he just doesn't hit the hole hard anymore. just doesn't have it. Still good in the passing game but hell OB does't know how to use a back like that. Hes not going to give us what Hyde did in the run game and we already have Jonson as a third down back. We better pick up a RB in the draft. I really like Akers and Moss if either are there in the mid or later rounds.
he was phased out b/c of his cap hit and nothing more. People commenting about him being phased out for any other reasons are full of it. Watch the damn tape...it free for you and others on NFL game pass. Everyone said the same thing about the Hyde Acquistion last year..Dude came and had a career year. And just by David Johnson catching more passes and scoring as many total TD’s as Hyde did all of last year....and doing it in a part time role...that damn near guarantees he’ll give us more than what Hyde did.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Andre Johnson claims to get along with Bill fine.

"Just dealing with Bill on a day to day basis, I mean Bill's a great guy," Johnson said of O'Brien. "Everybody has their opinions, and they look at certain things because of what happened during trades and things like that. I only can go off my relationship with Bill, and the relationship, me and him have is fine. If I need to communicate something to him, I go up to him, tell him how I feel what I think about it, and we just go from there. The relationship I have with him is good."

mussop

Hall of Fame
he was phased out b/c of his cap hit and nothing more. People commenting about him being phased out for any other reasons are full of it. Watch the damn tape...it free for you and others on NFL game pass. Everyone said the same thing about the Hyde Acquistion last year..Dude came and had a career year. And just by David Johnson catching more passes and scoring as many total TD’s as Hyde did all of last year....and doing it in a part time role...that damn near guarantees he’ll give us more than what Hyde did.
Youve said some really dumb **** and this is no different.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

"Just dealing with Bill on a day to day basis, I mean Bill's a great guy," Johnson said of O'Brien. "Everybody has their opinions, and they look at certain things because of what happened during trades and things like that. I only can go off my relationship with Bill, and the relationship, me and him have is fine. If I need to communicate something to him, I go up to him, tell him how I feel what I think about it, and we just go from there. The relationship I have with him is good."
Lol...fans don’t want to hear that man b/c it flies in the face of the narrative they’ve built up in their heads about the man..

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
he was phased out b/c of his cap hit and nothing more. People commenting about him being phased out for any other reasons are full of it.
that Nuk wanted a pay bumpof 4-5 million a year...
Only about $$$? $5 million a year? I'm going to show you a contract where the Texans could have kept their All Pro WR for the remaining 3 years on his contract, gave him the $5 million a year bump, with minimal cost to the cap over that time period.

$15 million signing bonus with 3 year extension along while guaranteeing remaining salary
Cap Hit
2020 - Previous salary (guaranteed) + $2.5 million bonus allocation
2021 - Previous salary (guaranteed) + $2.5 million bonus allocation
2022 - Previous salary (guaranteed) + $2.5 million bonus allocation
2023 - Large roster bonus unlikely to be optioned (Hop traded or cut)
2023 - $7.5 million cap hit unless taken over 2 years, then $2.5 million
2024 - $5.0 million cap hit if taken over 2 seasons.

Fixed it. For only $2.8 million ( spread over 5 years) more than David Johnson's 2020 cap hit. If I could have figured this out, even the morons on Kirby could have. If it was really about money.

The trade was not about money.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Only about $$$? $5 million a year? I'm going to show you a contract where the Texans could have kept their All Pro WR for the remaining 3 years on his contract, gave him the $5 million a year bump, with minimal cost to the cap over that time period.

$15 million signing bonus with 3 year extension along while guaranteeing remaining salary
Cap Hit
2020 - Previous salary (guaranteed) + $2.5 million bonus allocationn

Fixed it. For only $2.8 million over 6 years more than David Johnson's 2020 cap hit. If I could have figured this out, even the morons on Kirby could have. If it was really about money.

that puts Nuk at w

Cap Hit
2020 - Previous salary (guaranteed) + $2.5 million bonus allocation

Fixed it. For only $2.8 million ( spread over 5 years) more than David Johnson's 2020 cap hit. If I could have figured this out, even the morons on Kirby could have. If it was really about money.

You don’t know how this impacts the cap and the contracts of other players they may want to keep down the line....or perhaps go out and get. You also don’t know how this would really impact the cap after the Watson and Tunsil contracts. Cunningham and Reid are also coming due soon. Further you’re basically giving him more than the 5 million dollar a year pay bump if you’re talking about extending him for 3 more years on top of the 3 he still has left on his original deal. he’d be what 30 by the time his original contract years are over? AJ started to break down around 28-29...JJ started to break down even earlier than that.

Perhaps the biggest mistake of all that you’re making is you’re assuming that Nuk goes for those terms and that Nuk will still be playing at that all-pro/pro bowl level at that age and beyond. JJ’s contract at the time he signed it was great for us and him...these last 3-4 years, it hasn’t looked so great for what we’ve been able to get from him on the field.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
that puts Nuk at w

You don’t know how this impacts the cap and the contracts of other players they may want to keep down the line....or perhaps go out and get. You also don’t know how this would really impact the cap after the Watson and Tunsil contracts. Cunningham and Reid are also coming due soon. Further you’re basically giving him more than the 5 million dollar a year pay bump if you’re talking about extending him for 3 more years on top of the 3 he still has left on his original deal. he’d be what 30 by the time his original contract years are over? AJ started to break down around 28-29...JJ started to break down even earlier than that.

Perhaps the biggest mistake of all that you’re making is you’re assuming that Nuk goes for those terms and that Nuk will still be playing at that all-pro/pro bowl level at that age and beyond. JJ’s contract at the time he signed it was great for us and him...these last 3-4 years, it hasn’t looked so great for what we’ve been able to get from him on the field.
You gave the terms of an extra $5 million/season. Now you're saying that Hopkins might not take it. So maybe it's not about money?

In the contract I drew up, Hopkins would certainly be cut or the contract would be renegotiated after 3 years. It would be clear to Hopkins that he would become a FA in 2023 at the age of 30 or become filthy rich as a Texan. It's easy to look up AJ's career stats. At 28, Johnson was an All Pro and led the league in receiving yards. At 29, Andre lead the league in receiving yards/game with 93.5. At 30, AJ missed 9 games to injury. But at the age of 31, Johnson had a comeback season with a career high 1598 receiving yards. Not all that broken down, was he?

I don't know how an additional $2.5 million to Hopkins would have impacted the cap? It was $2 million less than Eric Murray's cap hit. And the Texans wouldn't have needed to sign Randall Cobb (age 30 at the start of this season) to a three year, $27 million deal.

I've shown you that this trade could in no way be about money. So what was the impetus for trading Hopkins? We can speculate. But until O'Brien owns up to the trade, we won't really know. And if he says it was about money? Well, we'll know he's lying.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
You gave the terms of an extra $5 million/season. Now you're saying that Hopkins might not take it. So maybe it's not about money?

But it wasn’t tcontract I drew up, Hopkins would certainly be cut or the contract would be renegotiated after 3 years. It would be clear to Hopkins that he would become a FA in 2023 at the age of 30 or become filthy rich as a Texan. It's easy to look up AJ's career stats. At 28, Johnson was an All Pro and led the league in receiving yards. At 29, Andre lead the league in receiving yards/game with 93.5. At 30, AJ missed 9 games to injury. But at the age of 31, Johnson had a comeback season with a career high 1598 receiving yards. Not all that broken down, was he?

I don't know how an additional $2.5 million to Hopkins would have impacted the cap? It was $2 million less than Eric Murray's cap hit. And the Texans wouldn't have needed to sign Randall Cobb (age 30 at the start of this season) to a three year, $27 million deal.

I've shown you that this trade could in no way be about money. So what was the impetus for trading Hopkins? We can speculate. But until O'Brien owns up to the trade, we won't really know. And if he says it was about money? Well, we'll know he's lying.
You drew that contract up pretty much in a vacuum...anything can work in that scenario. It however doesn’t fit in with the reality of what is though as you conveniently left out the impacts of what the DW4 and Tunsil contracts will have on the cap. We also know at least 1 team (Philly) passed on trading for Nuk...1 of the reasons Roseman cited as to why they didn’t go thru with it was among other things they had to weigh giving him a new contract with more money while still having 3 years left on his deal....and they’re a team who has already paid their qb and LT by the way..something we’re trying to get done. So what’s more likely, Howie Roseman is a “moron” too, or it’s not nearly as easy as you tried to lay it out.

As was pointed out, Cunningham and Reid will also be up for new contracts next year too. Perhaps they identified Cobb or Murray as potential pieces they wanted to bring in during FA in addition to keeping Nuk...but only at his current salary. Likely wasn’t going to be able to happen if they had to give Nuk an extra 5 million per.

And AJ at 29 & 30 missed 12 games over 2 seasons...he’d only missed 10 total over the previous 7 seasons. 2018 JJ played all 16 games...having said that however I think everyone is in agreement around here that he’s closer to the end. It’s already noted that Nuk is hardly practicing. Why do u think that is? It won’t be long before he’s missing games. And just based on the fact that he’s not a burner, he’s not a big powerful guy and he’s not a technician as a route runner, even the slightest slippage of athleticism could be it for him.

mussop

Hall of Fame
You drew that contract up pretty much in a vacuum...anything can work in that scenario. It however doesn’t fit in with the reality of what is though as you conveniently left out the impacts of what the DW4 and Tunsil contracts will have on the cap. We also know at least 1 team (Philly) passed on trading for Nuk...1 of the reasons Roseman cited as to why they didn’t go thru with it was among other things they had to weigh giving him a new contract with more money while still having 3 years left on his deal....and they’re a team who has already paid their qb and LT by the way..something we’re trying to get done. So what’s more likely, Howie Roseman is a “moron” too, or it’s not nearly as easy as you tried to lay it out.

As was pointed out, Cunningham and Reid will also be up for new contracts next year too. Perhaps they identified Cobb or Murray as potential pieces they wanted to bring in during FA in addition to keeping Nuk...but only at his current salary. Likely wasn’t going to be able to happen if they had to give Nuk an extra 5 million per.

And AJ at 29 & 30 missed 12 games over 2 seasons...he’d only missed 10 total over the previous 7 seasons. 2018 JJ played all 16 games...having said that however I think everyone is in agreement around here that he’s closer to the end. It’s already noted that Nuk is hardly practicing. Why do u think that is? It won’t be long before he’s missing games. And just based on the fact that he’s not a burner, he’s not a big powerful guy and he’s not a technician as a route runner, even the slightest slippage of athleticism could be it for him.
Lol

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

Ex players who like OBrien - 2
Ex Players who dislike OBrien - 10 (publicly)

I’ll take what are the odds for 1000 Alex.

Dre is just padding that resume. Lol - what exactly does he do? At least Cush is out there coaching. I wonder why Dre isn’t WR coach?

Good for OBrien to donate that bag - can’t hate on that - he personally matched what the Texans as an org put in.

Max

Veteran
The Johnson deal is really only a 1 yr deal.

Nuk has 3yrs and want even more $$$$ yrs.
The Johnson deal is a 2 year deal. Nuk isn't the first receiver to want more $. Clowney and Nuk aren't primadonnas as many superstars tend to be. Sure, they may not have had JJ Watt like dedication to practice.........but they aren't trouble makers either. You have to be able to get along with those types. I was hopeful for BOB that he was going to learn and grow as a coach on the game management side and x's and o's, and it's still possible that he does in that area. But his inability to get along with folks has made things pretty much hopeless for someone in the GM role, especially when that GM is also your coach. His only hope is to win a super bowl soon and inspire Belichick type respect, because his personality in the role he's in isn't going to cut it in today's world.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The Johnson deal is a 2 year deal. Nuk isn't the first receiver to want more $. Clowney and Nuk aren't primadonnas as many superstars tend to be. Sure, they may not have had JJ Watt like dedication to practice.........but they aren't trouble makers either. You have to be able to get along with those types. I was hopeful for BOB that he was going to learn and grow as a coach on the game management side and x's and o's, and it's still possible that he does in that area. But his inability to get along with folks has made things pretty much hopeless for someone in the GM role, especially when that GM is also your coach. His only hope is to win a super bowl soon and inspire Belichick type respect, because his personality in the role he's in isn't going to cut it in today's world.
Except he's not going to come close to a SB if he keeps depleting the team of top talent and getting nothing back, then having to overpay with extra draft picks to make up for that.

This guy 9 and 7'd his way to 2 division titles, in a crappy division at the time, with Hoyer and Brock, only winning it the 2nd time on a tiebreaker over the Titans. The offense both those seasons were bottom 3rd to bottom 5. The defense, however, was top 10 both seasons and is what kept them in games. They beat up on the average to poor, and got destroyed by the better teams. Better teams are who you play in the playoffs, where they got destroyed.

Watson comes along, and after a 3-4 start, gets injured, OB's hand picked boy takes over and they go 1-7 the rest of the way. That's where this team was headed without Watson. Even sacked 60 plus times, the plays this guy was able to make would have had any other QB getting sacked 75-80 times. Deshaun Watson has literally saved OB's ass as far as the wins and losses go, but they still get punked by the better teams/playoff teams.

All while this is going on, the team is losing talent and draft picks. Brown, two 1sts to replace him 3 years later, a 2nd for getting rid of Brock, Clowney, Hopkins....great talent and top, very valuable picks steadily going by the wayside the last 3-4 years. That's not sustainable.

I'll give OB credit for getting this team to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years, but this is all going to come crashing down at some point. This team has no play makers on either side of the ball, and the very few they do have can't stay on the field. It's going to catch up.

texan279

Hall of Fame

I mean what else is he going to say? I know I'm not going to bad mouth my boss to the public/media. I like my paycheck.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
I mean what else is he going to say? I know I'm not going to bad mouth my boss to the public/media. I like my paycheck.
Yeah OB is a tool for dre to advance. Duh people. Dre using OB like an opposing GM.

Meanwhile watson loves that man when he his gonna sign him to a rich ass contract

Tools people, Tools. They are to be used over and over again.

Now shining the tool when you have no idea how to use it, worse than the tool itself.

Wasnt it goodfellas

I dont shine shoes no more lol

I dont pay for season tickets anymore and I hate OB and Cal

Max

Veteran
Except he's not going to come close to a SB if he keeps depleting the team of top talent and getting nothing back, then having to overpay with extra draft picks to make up for that.

This guy 9 and 7'd his way to 2 division titles, in a crappy division at the time, with Hoyer and Brock, only winning it the 2nd time on a tiebreaker over the Titans. The offense both those seasons were bottom 3rd to bottom 5. The defense, however, was top 10 both seasons and is what kept them in games. They beat up on the average to poor, and got destroyed by the better teams. Better teams are who you play in the playoffs, where they got destroyed.

Watson comes along, and after a 3-4 start, gets injured, OB's hand picked boy takes over and they go 1-7 the rest of the way. That's where this team was headed without Watson. Even sacked 60 plus times, the plays this guy was able to make would have had any other QB getting sacked 75-80 times. Deshaun Watson has literally saved OB's ass as far as the wins and losses go, but they still get punked by the better teams/playoff teams.

All while this is going on, the team is losing talent and draft picks. Brown, two 1sts to replace him 3 years later, a 2nd for getting rid of Brock, Clowney, Hopkins....great talent and top, very valuable picks steadily going by the wayside the last 3-4 years. That's not sustainable.

I'll give OB credit for getting this team to the playoffs 4 out of 5 years, but this is all going to come crashing down at some point. This team has no play makers on either side of the ball, and the very few they do have can't stay on the field. It's going to catch up.
Agreed. I think it comes crashing down sooner than later. Our offense was hamstrung every time Fuller was out and that was with DHop playing practically every snap. Guys filling in clearly didn't 'get it' because of the offense's complexity. W/ DHop out, we're now down one of the 2 or 3 receivers who 'got it' last year. I haven't seen a track record of getting any of the receivers up to speed in the offense any time soon, so I see no reason to expect anything more than regression on offense this year. Maybe Weaver pulls something out of his hat to save the day, but we aren't exactly stacked with talent on that side of the ball. We're taking steps backwards while other teams are getting better as I see it.

OzzO

.. and then?
I really thought that Cal would be a decent owner but he's solely to blame for O'Brien's eff-ups as a GM. There is no logical explanation for giving a HC more responsibility .....
If I was to guess Cal's mindset:
1a. didn't want to put forth the effort to find a GM
1b. ..... that could work with BOB
1c. ..... that would be a quality selected GM w/o BOB's input
2. figured this was the one shot to have BOB buy and cook the groceries, no one else to blame. Right? Ummm, right?
3a. wants to postpone the time needed to for another HC, especially since BOB has three? more years on contract
3b. heck, we did get some FAB banners to hang during BOB tenure, he can't be TOO bad.
4. doesn't know who to turn to, to trust, on where & how to find the quality front office
4. and heck (again), the money is still coming in

Status
Not open for further replies.