Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an article, filled with backhanded compliments and sarcastic takes by a known outright O'Brien hater...........an article that many here will probably enjoy.
JANUARY 28, 2020 BY RIVERSMCCOWN_1RDKF6
The Optimist’s Guide to Bill O’Brien

Quoting this from the article;

Whenever O’Brien actually puts his whole brain into defeating a team, he so obviously comes up with good ideas that work. That he does it so rarely is heartbreaking and, I imagine, a problem that’s hard to delegate away when you make yourself the only person in the spotlight. But it also means that you can never truly count the Texans out of any game they play in.

Truer words have never been spoken.
Oh...and this might be my favorite;

Now, there’s something to be said for the idea of trying to win in an idiotic way — but ultimately, 31 teams don’t win every year. All it takes is one splash of luck for an idiot to be considered a genius.

Quoting this from the article;

Whenever O’Brien actually puts his whole brain into defeating a team, he so obviously comes up with good ideas that work. That he does it so rarely is heartbreaking and, I imagine, a problem that’s hard to delegate away when you make yourself the only person in the spotlight. But it also means that you can never truly count the Texans out of any game they play in.

Truer words have never been spoken.
Oh...and this might be my favorite;

Now, there’s something to be said for the idea of trying to win in an idiotic way — but ultimately, 31 teams don’t win every year. All it takes is one splash of luck for an idiot to be considered a genius.
Historically, there have been quite a few long-standing well-known coaches that followed this line to the SB.
The 8 Worst Coaches to Ever Win a Super Bowl
The Worst Coaches to Win a Super Bowl!
By Mike Goodpaster
January 26, 2020

Historically, there have been quite a few long-standing well-known coaches that followed this line to the SB.
The 8 Worst Coaches to Ever Win a Super Bowl
The Worst Coaches to Win a Super Bowl!
By Mike Goodpaster
January 26, 2020
FIFY here:

Bill O'Brien, Houston – As a head coach O'Brien has a 52-42 regular season record, winning only 54.2% of his games. He took over the Texans in 2014 and went on to post a 9-7 record that year based on a great defense that was coached by Romeo Crennel. Remember the Texans had won the Division two years earlier with a 12-4 record, so it wasn’t like he had to build a team. This team won because of the defense, led by Crennel.

Oh, and BTW, the AFC South (besides the Texans) posted a combined record of 8-22 outside the division.

For those of you saying "what is he supposed to say" still don't grasp the fact that, they don't have to say ANYTHING. & most everyone who says he doesn't know what he's doing & he's incompetent are standing outside on Kirby...i.e. not in the locker room...That includes those in the media claiming to have sources inside the FO. They are the worst offenders & get you guys all riled up.

FIFY here:

Bill O'Brien, Houston – As a head coach O'Brien has a 52-42 regular season record, winning only 54.2% of his games. He took over the Texans in 2014 and went on to post a 9-7 record that year based on a great defense that was coached by Romeo Crennel. Remember the Texans had won the Division two years earlier with a 12-4 record, so it wasn’t like he had to build a team. This team won because of the defense, led by Crennel.

Oh, and BTW, the AFC South (besides the Texans) posted a combined record of 8-22 outside the division.

If OB had won a Superb Owl you wouldn't have started that other thread

Last edited:
Fire O’BRIEN there you go thread may continue now.

tenor.gif

And just for fun, here is what Bob McNair said about looking for Bill O'Brien: "We’re looking for a coach that is bright, ethical, who’s culture fits in with the culture of our organization, innovative, flexible, able to make adjustments, works with great energy and enthusiasm and very positive in his approach."

What the F??? ... then why did they go with O'Brien??? He's literally NONE of those things. Ethical?? Curses about "dumbass" opponents (Denver coach going for a field goal - "Thanks a lot Vance you dumbass") ... bright? LMAO okay he went to Brown he MUST be a genius. "whose culture fits...." he's a damn yankee coming into the South bringing his haughty taughty BS with him. Innovative??? LMAOOOOOOO .. Flexible??? Hey he did FINALLY give up play calling duties after six years this one MIGHT be partially true. "Able to make adjustments" ???? LMAOOOOOO riiight. Works with great energy??? I guess if screaming and cussing during the week and in news conferences and then shrinking on the sidelines during game day is 'great energy' .... Enthusiasm?? Yeah he screams and yells alot so he is definitely enthusiastic so my mistake he's 1 for 9. NOt bad.

Oh I forgot 'very positive in his approach' ... I guess. "not my job" ... "didnt have a play for a 4th and 2 in a playoff game" .. positivity comes from preparation and proactivity - none of which are great descriptors for OBrien IMO.

its crazy I had never read/heard about this McNair 'checklist' for a new coach LOL mind boggling even.

cue the "Rico is a dirtbag OBrien hater posts in 3...2...1"

The McNairs are not going to change a damn thing.

I hear this said about sports in Houston a lot & it seems that folks think there's some magic structure out there that all franchises in any particular league can operate under to win at higher levels & if you're not operating like "this" then you're doing it wrong.

So, serious question to all in here....what systemic changes would you make in how the Texans have operated since inception that would signify to you they are about winning? & by systemic i mean long term ways in how they operate. Firing your HC would only be a temporary measure & we have ample evidence from other organizations that pretty well shows that firing your HC every few years b/c you're not seeing the results you want doesn't seem to be the key to a winning organization. If it were, you'd see a helluva lot more turnover than you do. For that matter:

Spending crazily to get high level FA's
Building up the trenches 1st
landing that franchise QB 1st
Having a highly regarded HC
having the traditional GM & HC set up

None of these seem to fair all that much better either as there are many more examples that go against it than support it.

Truth is it largely doesn't matter how you operate...if you're winning consistently, noone can tell you how you're operating isn't right & noone who isn't winning can tell you that you SHOULD NOT TRY to operate like this other winning organization. Look no further than our very own Houston Astros for that lesson.

What the F??? ... then why did they go with O'Brien??? He's literally NONE of those things. Ethical?? Curses about "dumbass" opponents (Denver coach going for a field goal - "Thanks a lot Vance you dumbass") ... bright? LMAO okay he went to Brown he MUST be a genius. "whose culture fits...." he's a damn yankee coming into the South bringing his haughty taughty BS with him. Innovative??? LMAOOOOOOO .. Flexible??? Hey he did FINALLY give up play calling duties after six years this one MIGHT be partially true. "Able to make adjustments" ???? LMAOOOOOO riiight. Works with great energy??? I guess if screaming and cussing during the week and in news conferences and then shrinking on the sidelines during game day is 'great energy' .... Enthusiasm?? Yeah he screams and yells alot so he is definitely enthusiastic so my mistake he's 1 for 9. NOt bad.

Oh I forgot 'very positive in his approach' ... I guess. "not my job" ... "didnt have a play for a 4th and 2 in a playoff game" .. positivity comes from preparation and proactivity - none of which are great descriptors for OBrien IMO.

its crazy I had never read/heard about this McNair 'checklist' for a new coach LOL mind boggling even.

cue the "Rico is a dirtbag OBrien hater posts in 3...2...1"

Damnit Rico, had to come up with a new acronym.....LMAOUIDCU (Laughed My Arse Off Until I Ducking Cramped Up!!!! II do believe OB realized he was losing his offense when Watson showed some dissatisfaction with his playcalling nearing the end of the season. I think OB decided to toss the potato into Kelly's hand before he completely lost the offense.

Damnit Rico, had to come up with a new acronym.....LMAOUIDCU (Laughed My Arse Off Until I Ducking Cramped Up!!!! II do believe OB realized he was losing his offense when Watson showed some dissatisfaction with his playcalling nearing the end of the season. I think OB decided to toss the potato into Kelly's hand before he completely lost the offense.

Hopefully Kelly and DW4 are a better match.

But I have my doubts.

See: post 11,882 in the Texans Random Thought of the day thread.

So, serious question to all in here....what systemic changes would you make in how the Texans have operated since inception that would signify to you they are about winning? & by systemic i mean long term ways in how they operate. Firing your HC would only be a temporary measure & we have ample evidence from other organizations that pretty well shows that firing your HC every few years b/c you're not seeing the results you want doesn't seem to be the key to a winning organization. If it were, you'd see a helluva lot more turnover than you do. For that matter:

Good question. Fans look to the Patriots as a team to emulate. Yet, regardless of how many former Patriots' coaches get hired, none of them have been able to come close to duplicating the Patriots' success. At some point, you have to realize that unless they are bringing Belichick and Brady with them, their odds of succeeding might be lower than hiring a non Patriots coach.

I think the owner should establish the identity of that team and then hire a GM and HC to execute that vision. If the owner doesn't want to get that low level, hire an executive to set that vision and identity. For example, the owner or executive wants a strong running team, WCO and a 3-4 defense. Then you hire a GM with experience selecting talent for that vision and a HC with that experience on offense or defense and they hire an OC or DC on the other side.

It seems teams constantly fire HCs and GMs. They inherit personnel that doesn't fit their schemes or there is a difference in philosophy between the GM and HC or the eventual power struggles. All of that gets eliminated because the roles and responsibilities are defined by the owner and/or EVP. Everyone aligns with the owner, but that doesn't mean the owner gets involve like Jerry Jones. He hires the people, sets the vision and allows them to do their jobs.

I think the Steelers are the closest to this model. Regardless of the HC. You're going to get a physical team with a 3-4 defense. If I had to make a systemic change, if the McNairs were not going to have the experience to set the vision and identity of the team, I would have kept someone like Dan Reeves in the EVP of football operations role to set that vision and hire the GM and HC accordingly.

Remind me when DW4 showed this dissatisfaction with his playcalling at the end of the season again?

Last edited:
Did OB just get himself fired from ALL of his current positions? Bone headed trade. If enough media clown this imbecile and enough fans create noise Ownership has to take notice. Only thing that needs to happen now is for Watt to retire and Watson to force a trade.

The Texans where never really serious contenders....but at least they where not clowns. Today...they are clowns.

Not that many of you remember or care, but I took a break from the message board and Texans for reasons that are clear today.

**** you OB. Eat a bag of ****.

You continue to ruin this team. The Kansas City game was bigger than you. The job is bigger than you.

And you too Cal. You are just as guilty.

And for that reason...........I am OUT.

1584383821952.png
Watched the end of Varsity Blues and BOB is worse than Kilmer. Watson and JJ need to standup and be the leaders.
Time to tell the world that BOB is a very little man that holds grudges besides just being a totally idiot. Cal you look like a ******* idiot which I do believe is a possibility.

BOB is afraid to talk to many people because he knows the more he lets people know who he is the more people (except for Cal) know he is an idiot that holds grudges. His nickname is the little dumbass teapot. Get your head out of your ass Cal. Cal is the dumbest owner ever and that is saying alot. Will not drag the McNair name in the mud.

Let's hope Watson doesn't figure out that he just needs to refuse to kiss BOBs ass for him to get traded. In fact Watson may be next if he says anything. I think he should have said something before now. But at this point if I were Watson I would say something so I could get away from BOB.

Did OB just get himself fired from ALL of his current positions? Bone headed trade. If enough media clown this imbecile and enough fans create noise Ownership has to take notice. Only thing that needs to happen now is for Watt to retire and Watson to force a trade.

The Texans where never really serious contenders....but at least they where not clowns. Today...they are clowns.

I'm hoping he didn't run it by ownership.

this is Cal McNair while the trade was being announced:

tenor.gif

Maybe so, but the media/player reactions and the fallout from merchandise sales HAVE to be accounted for. A trade of this caliber has to cause waves that even a oblivious man such as Cal will feel.
I would agree, but so far we haven't heard OB being fired or the Texans looking for a new GM. We'll see what happens by the end of the month.

Maybe so, but the media/player reactions and the fallout from merchandise sales due to pi$$ed fans HAVE to be accounted for. A trade of this caliber has to cause waves that even a oblivious man such as Cal will feel.

thats all working under the assumption that common sense and logic will prevail. Common sense was buried with Bob McNair sadly.

Remember how the clever marketing department handed out those placards to everyone sitting on the east side of the stadium that spelled out GO TEXANS in big letters during a couple of the playoff games? It would take some effort and coordination, but perhaps the fans can unite and spell out "**** YOU BILL"

Remember how the clever marketing department handed out those placards to everyone sitting on the east side of the stadium that spelled out GO TEXANS in big letters during a couple of the playoff games? It would take some effort and coordination, but perhaps the fans can unite and spell out "**** YOU BILL"

That is something I could get behind.
Any local connections to advertising/print companies who can make the placards? I would gladly contribute to the cost as I am sure many others would as well.

Seriously. Boycott this team until moves are made that show us, the fans, the respect we should be getting. Respect, as in, an organization that puts it’s best foot forward to try to bring a title to this city. We’ve given so much support for a team that has owners/GMs/coaches that simply do not seem to give a s%*#.

Maybe BOB is genuinely trying his best to win games, but he’s clearly a moron, and what he thinks is best is not beneficial to this team. He’s made several moves, from coaching decisions to GM decisions, that have been head scratchers, but THIS MOVE today is indefensible. The fact that no one in the front office or ownership checked him on this decision says it all. This team needs to clean house. I don’t know how many of you feel this way, but I’m done until there’s new leadership. I want what’s best for this team, so I feel that supporting them at this time is condoning mediocrity, carelessness, and stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back