Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
What Wilson has over DW4 is Accuracy/Anticipation.
How do you base anticipation from a long time ago, I'd like to know.
Photographic memory?

Interesting.

How many times did Wilson let a 28-24 lead blow up to a 51-31 lead?

I like stats. We can definitely see Watson has comparable talent. But even when he's got little to no help, Russell Wilson finds a way to compete.

Granted, we're not winning a Super Bowl with BO'b. But Watson, Nuk, Fuller... we should have been able to score more on KC defense in the 2nd half.

Hell, all game. The offense had two good drives all game.

Where was Watson's clutch gene in all that?
Wilson was so accurate and had such great anticipation, and was so clutch, he threw 4 INTs in a play-off game, and his team still won. 2014, his third year, I think.

Texansballer74

The Marine
How do you base anticipation from a long time ago, I'd like to know.
Photographic memory?

Wilson was so accurate and had such great anticipation, and was so clutch, he threw 4 INTs in a play-off game, and his team still won. 2014, his third year, I think.
Man that dude continues to throw crap up against the wall hoping it sticks.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Another "clutch" game by Wilson.
Keep pointing out rare performances.

By yr 3 RW had a ring and right now he's head and shoulders above DW4. He's a MVP candidate. DW4 can only dream that he has a career as good as RW's.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

By yr 3 RW had a ring and right now he's head and shoulders above DW4. He's a MVP candidate. DW4 can only dream that he has a career as good as RW's.
C'mon Steel...not "head and shoulders" better. DW4 and Russell Wilson were both in the running for MVP this year & both of their MVP candidacy's went by the wayside when they played Baltimore.

I love Wilson by the way, but he has a ring b/c of the Legion of Boom defense. To act like he was the catalyst behind that is a disingenious argument at the very least.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

C'mon Steel...not "head and shoulders" better. DW4 and Russell Wilson were both in the running for MVP this year & both of their MVP candidacy's went by the wayside when they played Baltimore.

I love Wilson by the way, but he has a ring b/c of the Legion of Boom defense. To act like he was the catalyst behind that is a disingenious argument at the very least.
Its a bit of a play on words, I would agree with Steel that RIGHT NOW he is head and shoulders above Watson but that's right now after Wilson has had 8 seasons. If he had said that Wilson was head and shoulders above him in his third year that I would disagree with. You are right though Wilson had the legion of boom and beast mode to help carry him through. He did his part in not F'ing up but a wall of a defense and a RB that can't be stopped can make a QB look as good as a Hop level WR can.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Yet, another rare "clutch" performance by Wilson, in the SB that followed the 4-Int game no less.

Wilson made some good plays; he finished the game 12-21 for 247 yards, 2TD and the costly INT that ended the game and gave the Pats the trophy.

Leading 24-14 early in the 4th qtr, Wilson took a sack after a late twist by a defender (4 seconds) on a 3rd down. The ball was snapped before 13:01; Wilson was sacked just before 12:57

On the next series, at 7:06, Wilson missed a wide open receiver on third and 5, ending another drive.

And finally, near the end, Wilson was late on a throw, allowing the DB Butler to intercept the ball.
He should have thrown it so that the ball arrived soon as his receiver get the pick from his teammate.
Instead, he was late with the ball and threw it in front of his receiver, not allowing him the chance to block out the defender.

Those are not examples of clutch play to me.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Interesting.

I like stats. We can definitely see Watson has comparable talent. But even when he's got little to no help, Russell Wilson finds a way to compete.

Granted, we're not winning a Super Bowl with BO'b. But Watson, Nuk, Fuller... we should have been able to score more on KC defense in the 2nd half.

Interesting.

Wilson did watch the opponent lay a 40-burger on his team before he mounts a drive to score a meaningless TD.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Just get him wrapped up in a cheating scandal involving trash cans.. that'll do it.
The McNairs admire and seem to emulate Bob Kraft, so most likely they'd stand by their man regardless of scandal.

No, this team has to go 2-14 for the dreadful and very emotional and extremely traumatic experience of firing a head coach.

"We’re about winning and accountability." ~ Bob McNair :ahhaha:

And just for fun, here is what Bob McNair said about looking for Bill O'Brien: "We’re looking for a coach that is bright, ethical, who’s culture fits in with the culture of our organization, innovative, flexible, able to make adjustments, works with great energy and enthusiasm and very positive in his approach."

So take it fwiw. The McNairs are not going to change a damn thing.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Im getting blinded by facts in this thread, could one of the resident boomer grumps post some random subjective take to even out the truth factor? Thanks.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
Yep DB. Business is still good

TEXANS:"A marketing team with a football division"-Vinny
I can get what you are aiming at and what Vinny was saying... but you might as well say...

NFL: "A marketing company with a Football division"

It is entirely more accurate - the entire league and every team is about making money, I don't see any owners running any charity organizations. This isn't MLB (especially of old) where you could be a big market team buying Series wins. The NFL has a salary gap so no owner is "opening the checkbook" and spending more money or operating at a loss so they can "care more about winning" than other teams.

The league and every team in its priorities are, 1) making money 2) winning football games - some of them just suck at it as an organization - and unfortunately for us Texans fans while the team has had some success we have sucked at the postseason and winning Super Bowls.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
SI
DeAndre Hopkins Confident in Bill O'Brien Handling GM Duties for the Texans
an hour ago

Houston Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins and his mother, Sabrina Greenlee, were on Radio Row in Miami, Florida, at Super Bowl LIV. Hopkins and his mother were discussing Sabrina's upcoming project of a film of his mother's life overcoming domestic violence.

The film is set to release in 2021, with production and development currently taking place.
Hopkins and his mother sat down on The Main Event with Jake Asman and Cody Stoots on SB Nation Radio to discuss multiple topics.

One of the most significant discussion points for the Texans is the recent move to name head coach Bill O'Brien the general manager of the organization. Asman and Stoots took time to ask Hopkins about the move to make O'Brien the general manager.

When asked if O'Brien could be overloaded with being the general manager and head coach, Hopkins gave his thoughts.

"You know, it's not easy, man," Hopkins said of O'Brien. "I'm pretty sure he has a lot on his plate, but he handles it pretty well. Being able to go out there and still coach a team at a competitive level the way we did and compete for almost a title man, it's not easy, he's human, but he does a great job handling it very well."

Hopkins, who has been with the organization since 2013, has made his name in Houston. Seeing the general manager's come and go over the years, Hopkins feels O'Brien knowing what he wants to do as a head coach is an advantage for him when looking for players.

When asked if O'Brien could be a better general manager than head coach, Hopkins answered, "I'm not sure."
Hopkins added, "I can't speak on that because I've never, honestly, I don't know how that works upstairs. What those guys go through, I'm pretty sure other GM's are pretty knowledgeable about football. But, I think it's definitely probably an advantage that he's coached before and you know actually been out there on the football field and knows exactly what's going on X's and O's wise. So, I'm pretty sure that helps."

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
SI
an hour ago

Houston Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins and his mother, Sabrina Greenlee, were on Radio Row in Miami, Florida, at Super Bowl LIV. Hopkins and his mother were discussing Sabrina's upcoming project of a film of his mother's life overcoming domestic violence.

The film is set to release in 2021, with production and development currently taking place.
Hopkins and his mother sat down on The Main Event with Jake Asman and Cody Stoots on SB Nation Radio to discuss multiple topics.

One of the most significant discussion points for the Texans is the recent move to name head coach Bill O'Brien the general manager of the organization. Asman and Stoots took time to ask Hopkins about the move to make O'Brien the general manager.

When asked if O'Brien could be overloaded with being the general manager and head coach, Hopkins gave his thoughts.

"You know, it's not easy, man," Hopkins said of O'Brien. "I'm pretty sure he has a lot on his plate, but he handles it pretty well. Being able to go out there and still coach a team at a competitive level the way we did and compete for almost a title man, it's not easy, he's human, but he does a great job handling it very well."

Hopkins, who has been with the organization since 2013, has made his name in Houston. Seeing the general manager's come and go over the years, Hopkins feels O'Brien knowing what he wants to do as a head coach is an advantage for him when looking for players.

When asked if O'Brien could be a better general manager than head coach, Hopkins answered, "I'm not sure."
Hopkins added, "I can't speak on that because I've never, honestly, I don't know how that works upstairs. What those guys go through, I'm pretty sure other GM's are pretty knowledgeable about football. But, I think it's definitely probably an advantage that he's coached before and you know actually been out there on the football field and knows exactly what's going on X's and O's wise. So, I'm pretty sure that helps."
What else is he supposed to say?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
SI
an hour ago

I wonder how Hopkins would feel if he knew we think they failed miserably this year?

mussop

Hall of Fame
Funny you don't hear people asking that when O'Brien heaps praises onto Watson.
There’s a difference. Obrien has proven time and again that he is incompetent at his job and one if the requirements of his job is to teach and coach up Watson.

I think speeds point was that you don’t talk **** about you’re employers in public. He’s right.

This is why I hate articles like this. Regardless of who it is that person is always going to say what’s in his best interests. Nothing but fluff pieces. Waste of time reading them.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
There’s a difference. Obrien has proven time and again that he is incompetent at his job and one if the requirements of his job is to teach and coach up Watson.

I think speeds point was that you don’t talk **** about you’re employers in public. He’s right.

This is why I hate articles like this. Regardless of who it is that person is always going to say what’s in his best interests. Nothing but fluff pieces. Waste of time reading them.
I can appreciate your take and I agree..............neither article should reflect on exact true feelings and related facts.

Just like the article I posted about Jerry Jones praising Cal.........which was poorly received. But when Jones praises Watson, it is greeted with open arms. I post these articles for FYI, taking for granted that readers will do with them as they want...........including ignoring them.............one man's treasure is another man's trash..................

Jerry Jones: Deshaun Watson gives Texans 'a bright future'
Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle Jan. 22, 2020 Updated: Jan. 22, 2020 3:12 p.m.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
So Carl Smith, the main person working with Watson on a daily basis, now doesn't know what he's doing and is all of a sudden ineffective?
To be totally honest, Carl Smith isn't running or calling the offense. He's doing what he can but, in my opinion, OB is rendering his efforts useless. What makes it even more apparent is the success he had with Russell Wilson while HC, Carroll and OC, Schottenheimer were running the offense. In Houston OB is the HC and OC.....what could possibly be the difference maker, Watson?

Devlin can't coach an OL but we've only seen him try to coach an OL under OB. Devlin was the QC coach for offensive components with the Cardinals from 2000-2003, then moved to Toledo where he was OL coach from 2004-2005, then coached the Jets TE's from 2006-2012, moved to Asst OL coach from 2013-2014 before coming to Houston in 2015. His longest tenured coaching job at any level was with the Jets as their TE coach. OB's offensive style sure hasn't lent itself to helping his staff coaches succeed.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
To be totally honest, Carl Smith isn't running or calling the offense. He's doing what he can but, in my opinion, OB is rendering his efforts useless. What makes it even more apparent is the success he had with Russell Wilson while HC, Carroll and OC, Schottenheimer were running the offense. In Houston OB is the HC and OC.....what could possibly be the difference maker, Watson?

Devlin can't coach an OL but we've only seen him try to coach an OL under OB. Devlin was the QC coach for offensive components with the Cardinals from 2000-2003, then moved to Toledo where he was OL coach from 2004-2005, then coached the Jets TE's from 2006-2012, moved to Asst OL coach from 2013-2014 before coming to Houston in 2015. His longest tenured coaching job at any level was with the Jets as their TE coach. OB's offensive style sure hasn't lent itself to helping his staff coaches succeed.
Carl Smith has spent one offseason with Watson while he had to learn O'Brien's offense and how he wants his QBs to function in that offense. How many years did Smith spend with Wilson before Wilson became the QB he is today? I bet it wasn't one season. How many years did it take Peyton Manning to understand what Tom Moore was coaching?

Also, when it comes to the coaches on the offensive side of the ball. It is stunning the lack of experience on the staff. Godsey had no prior experience as an OC. In fact, his most extensive NFL experience was two years as the Patriots' TE coach. Even after leaving the Texans, he is back to being a TE coach.

With Kelly, besides being a graduate assistant at Penn State and being mentored by O'Brien, I have no idea what qualifies him to be on a NFL coaching staff. The guy went from graduate assistant to NFL Quality Control coach, to TE coach and then OC. Would you trust that guy with calling the plays?

Since O'Brien has a Vulcan nerve pinch on his OCs and the playbook, I don't know if any experienced OC would want the job or if O'Brien is simply surrounding himself with loyal "yes men" who cannot bring themselves to provide honest feedback. Everyone just works around the scheme.

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode
Funny you don't hear people asking that when O'Brien heaps praises onto Watson.
The article you posted, and your rebuttal to the comment on it was my exact sentiments and defense I had for O’Brien about 18 months ago. “But the players like him.” Eventually though, I got to the point of not being able to defend O’Brien any longer; after all of the same mistakes repeated. Just like you, steelb and a few others don’t defend Watson. The difference is, I gave O’Brien 5 years before I changed my opinion on him but you and others never gave Watson a chance, a benefit of doubt. And for the record, I have been critical of Watson. If he continues to make the same mistakes, I’ll want him gone too. As far as I’m concerned, that moment is going to occur faster than it did for O’Brien. I’m at my ropes end with the both of them after what happened in KC.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
I didn't read through all 185 pages, so if this has already been shared, my apologies, but I found it to be a good read and wanted to share.

It was already Super Bowl trophy or bust for O’Brien, thanks to the Texans’ dictator spending years burning through quarterback after discarded quarterback, then sacrificing friends, colleagues, two GMs, an offensive coordinator, Romeo Crennel as defensive coordinator (twice) and a slew of coaches on his six-season path toward Kirby domination.
Now?

The Texans spent Tuesday as the laughingstock of the league and made the Cleveland Browns look like a well-run organization.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Carl Smith has spent one offseason with Watson while he had to learn O'Brien's offense and how he wants his QBs to function in that offense. How many years did Smith spend with Wilson before Wilson became the QB he is today? I bet it wasn't one season. How many years did it take Peyton Manning to understand what Tom Moore was coaching?

Also, when it comes to the coaches on the offensive side of the ball. It is stunning the lack of experience on the staff. Godsey had no prior experience as an OC. In fact, his most extensive NFL experience was two years as the Patriots' TE coach. Even after leaving the Texans, he is back to being a TE coach.

With Kelly, besides being a graduate assistant at Penn State and being mentored by O'Brien, I have no idea what qualifies him to be on a NFL coaching staff. The guy went from graduate assistant to NFL Quality Control coach, to TE coach and then OC. Would you trust that guy with calling the plays?

Since O'Brien has a Vulcan nerve pinch on his OCs and the playbook, I don't know if any experienced OC would want the job or if O'Brien is simply surrounding himself with loyal "yes men" who cannot bring themselves to provide honest feedback. Everyone just works around the scheme.
Earl to be honest here, to some its more of a like or dislike. Those that continue to bring up what ole buddy did for Wilson. They know darn well that stuff didn’t happen over a freaking year. It took at least 3-4 years to coach Wilson up. Bottom line is they truly don’t like Watson. He wasn’t their personal option that year we drafted him. They wanted Mahomeboy or Mitch T.

I believe O’Brien is surrounding himself with yes men. Those that disagree with his vision, he quickly get rid of. Delvin has been pure dumpster trash since day one, but he’s still employed by the Texans. This joker should’ve been the first one cut after the season was over.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The article you posted, and your rebuttal to the comment on it was my exact sentiments and defense I had for O’Brien about 18 months ago. “But the players like him.” Eventually though, I got to the point of not being able to defend O’Brien any longer; after all of the same mistakes repeated. Just like you, steelb and a few others don’t defend Watson. The difference is, I gave O’Brien 5 years before I changed my opinion on him but you and others never gave Watson a chance, a benefit of doubt. And for the record, I have been critical of Watson. If he continues to make the same mistakes, I’ll want him gone too. As far as I’m concerned, that moment is going to occur faster than it did for O’Brien. I’m at my ropes end with the both of them after what happened in KC.
I am still giving him a chance. But I also know it's unlikely that he changes after 3 years in the league.

It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.