Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, yesterday was a full team collapse.

Coaching/Offense/Defense

ST's even gave up a long KR.

You think the team collapsing isn't a reflection of this loser of a coach? The same bum who in 6 years has had 4 embarrassing blowout playoff losses including an 0-30 butt kicking at home and losing while up by 24 that still resulted in a blowout because the whole team. When this guy is GM/HC/OC been here longer than the rest of the AFC South coaches with slightly above average results, has had every excuse in the book, has had #1 defenses, weapons out the butt and star players many teams would kill for...he has zero excuse.

Everything this team does is a reflection on him. No excuses.

I'd fire OB today if I could convince Cal that the next couple of moves would be a leap of faith and an extreme youth movement.

1. Cal needs a new father-figure to lean on and learn the business. His Dad was great at business but lousy at football. Cal learned a lot of bad habits. I would once again recommend that Cal hires Bill Polian for a couple of seasons to come in and be his mentor while over-seeing a young FO and team.

2. I'd hire Eliot Wolf away from the Browns and make him the new GM. I could only hope he could convince Alonzo Highsmith to return to Houston with him.

3. I'd like to take a shot at LSU's young but very talented OC, Joe Brady. He successfully turned LSU's offense around by bringing the Saints offense to CFB. Burrow and LSU had what I view as one of the most dominant CFB seasons in the last 40 years. Look at what he did with Burrow in one season. It would be crazy to roll the dice on a 30 year old but the Rams rolled the dice on a 32 year old McVay and it paid off.

I'd let the young guys grow together so they'd learn to lean on each other and not work against one another. Polian could be the mentor to these guys while they really learn the ropes. He'd also come cheap and probably with some much better ideas for the offense than what we saw from OB in year six.

Sure and Smith was brought in to help with that development without much success.

So you place none of the blame for DWs issues on the “mastermind” of our offensive system and play caller BOB? It’s all DW and Smith?

How about the fact that for 2 of DWs 3 seasons we’ve had one of if not the worst OLs in the league? You don’t think a young QB could develop some bad habits because he’s constantly running for his life? That’s not an excuse, that’s a fact!

How about the fact that, in his infinite wisdom, despite having said horrific OL, OB has retained the OL coach?

How about the fact that whenever WF isn’t playing our offense grinds to a hault? Why can’t your buddy figure out how to score more points when Will isn’t playing, he’s had enough practice! I’m not sure the final tally, but the last report I heard was we averaged 19 pts per game with out Fuller. Look at the offensive juggernauts that average 19 ppg

Why use an offensive system that is so complicated, according to former players, it takes 2-3 yrs to truly grasp? And don’t give me this crap about how it works in NE, they have the greatest QB and HC in the modern era. They run a game plan offense, we don’t. All you have to do is watch the first half of the TB game to see our genius offensive staff run the ball continuously up the middle at the number 1 rushing defense in the NFL to know we don’t “game plan”. You want to see a game plan offense? Re watch the Chiefs beat us like a drum with Travis Kelce, that’s a coaching staff identifying a defensive weakness and exploiting it over and over

Go watch the replay of the Minn/SF game, there are several replays where they illustrate how Kyle Shanahan uses motion to create throwing lanes in the middle of the field. That is terrific offensive design, and something we don’t do. That’s not just my opinion, that was stated by Clint Stoerner on 610, and was one of his chief complaints about OB during the season. Clint has said numerous times that OB doesn’t do enough pre snap to help the QB. Why wouldn’t you want to help your young QB

How good was Steve Young in TB? What happened to him after he was traded to SF, where he was coached by an actual offensive guru. I’m sure if you were in TB back in the day you be making the same comments/complaints about Young you do about DW - Run Steve Run, am I right? Young players never get better with better coaching right? How does Tannehill look this season compared to his previous years in Miami, he didn’t improve at all with a change in coaching staff, right?

DW has about 2.5 seasons of NFL experience, and unfortunately it’s all been under OB. Yes DW has some warts that need to be cleaned up, but I don’t believe OB is doing him any favors. From trotting out atrocious offensive lines, to an overly complicated offensive system, to questionable play calling he could do so much more to help develop this kid.

By the way, you don’t like the WC Offense right? If I’m not mistaking all 4 teams playing in the conference championship games use a version of the WC offense

The only thing Watson has to change is his internal clock and on time delivery. that would instantly change with a modern offense that deploys game plans that take advantage of tendency and in house talent. It would be miraculous if these "super cool deep bomb hail mary" plays OBrien loves so much would offer an underneath rush route or utility route. Nope instead its Watsons dumb ass that cant avoid the rush for 4 seconds, scan the 3 routes in the progression and then hope one of those guys is beating his man since there isnt much in terms of schematic release from the passing combo.

this has already been said, posted and regurgitated. only the dense boomer crowd who is holding on to dear life for "All the Pocket QBs" EVERYWHERE are being stubborn. didnt yall just watch Mahomes push our aholes inward while constantly on the move? You set of innovators want Watson to stand still and "find the open guy" LMAO .. it so hilarious. YOu have dummies like PatdStat who blurt out "the receiver is open" and has to be reminded what a damn progression is from a fromer NFL Qb and current coach. SMH.

this is a vendetta for all the draftniks who whiffed on their guy, and it will NEVER be pushed to the side no matter how great Deshaun IS and WILL BE and im here for every minute of it!! the incessant, whiny groans and pleas nourish me!! NOM NOM!

I'd fire OB today if I could convince Cal that the next couple of moves would be a leap of faith and an extreme youth movement.

1. Cal needs a new father-figure to lean on and learn the business. His Dad was great at business but lousy at football. Cal learned a lot of bad habits. I would once again recommend that Cal hires Bill Polian for a couple of seasons to come in and be his mentor while over-seeing a young FO and team.

2. I'd hire Eliot Wolf away from the Browns and make him the new GM. I could only hope he could convince Alonzo Highsmith to return to Houston with him.

3. I'd like to take a shot at LSU's young but very talented OC, Joe Brady. He successfully turned LSU's offense around by bringing the Saints offense to CFB. Burrow and LSU had what I view as one of the most dominant CFB seasons in the last 40 years. Look at what he did with Burrow in one season. It would be crazy to roll the dice on a 30 year old but the Rams rolled the dice on a 32 year old McVay and it paid off.

I'd let the young guys grow together so they'd learn to lean on each other and not work against one another. Polian could be the mentor to these guys while they really learn the ropes. He'd also come cheap and probably with some much better ideas for the offense than what we saw from OB in year six.

truth is .. it wouldnt be that hard to upgrade the coaching staff, teams do it every year to GREAT success (Rams, Eagles, Packers, Titans, SF) lets not forget San Francisco went from Kap and the Super Bowl, to blowing it all up, and then in the same time frame as OBrien has been here, have been able to field a completely different team and are right back to the cusp of the Super Bowl. Incredible.

So you place none of the blame for DWs issues on the “mastermind” of our offensive system and play caller BOB? It’s all DW and Smith?

How about the fact that for 2 of DWs 3 seasons we’ve had one of if not the worst OLs in the league? You don’t think a young QB could develop some bad habits because he’s constantly running for his life? That’s not an excuse, that’s a fact!

How about the fact that, in his infinite wisdom, despite having said horrific OL, OB has retained the OL coach?

How about the fact that whenever WF isn’t playing our offense grinds to a hault? Why can’t your buddy figure out how to score more points when Will isn’t playing, he’s had enough practice! I’m not sure the final tally, but the last report I heard was we averaged 19 pts per game with out Fuller. Look at the offensive juggernauts that average 19 ppg

Why use an offensive system that is so complicated, according to former players, it takes 2-3 yrs to truly grasp? And don’t give me this crap about how it works in NE, they have the greatest QB and HC in the modern era. They run a game plan offense, we don’t. All you have to do is watch the first half of the TB game to see our genius offensive staff run the ball continuously up the middle at the number 1 rushing defense in the NFL to know we don’t “game plan”. You want to see a game plan offense? Re watch the Chiefs beat us like a drum with Travis Kelce, that’s a coaching staff identifying a defensive weakness and exploiting it over and over

Go watch the replay of the Minn/SF game, there are several replays where they illustrate how Kyle Shanahan uses motion to create throwing lanes in the middle of the field. That is terrific offensive design, and something we don’t do. That’s not just my opinion, that was stated by Clint Stoerner on 610, and was one of his chief complaints about OB during the season. Clint has said numerous times that OB doesn’t do enough pre snap to help the QB. Why wouldn’t you want to help your young QB

How good was Steve Young in TB? What happened to him after he was traded to SF, where he was coached by an actual offensive guru. I’m sure if you were in TB back in the day you be making the same comments/complaints about Young you do about DW - Run Steve Run, am I right? Young players never get better with better coaching right? How does Tannehill look this season compared to his previous years in Miami, he didn’t improve at all with a change in coaching staff, right?

DW has about 2.5 seasons of NFL experience, and unfortunately it’s all been under OB. Yes DW has some warts that need to be cleaned up, but I don’t believe OB is doing him any favors. From trotting out atrocious offensive lines, to an overly complicated offensive system, to questionable play calling he could do so much more to help develop this kid.

By the way, you don’t like the WC Offense right? If I’m not mistaking all 4 teams playing in the conference championship games use a version of the WC offense

Otisbean you have to realize who you're dealing with. Steel is known Watson hater. This beautiful breakdown will go right over his head because truly dude wants DW4 to fail. That way he can say I told you so. It's amazing how he complained about the offensive line for years, especially when they didn't acquire the players he wanted. It was all on Smith but not once did he say how their terrible play could possibly stunt Watson's growth. They finally got a few players he like and we haven't heard anything negative all season on the offensive line. Man that line is still terrible. Lol we might've improved slightly in that department.

All summer dude preached this 2-3 year rebuild post Rick Smith. I guess Watson doesn't get that same timeline. Because he's asking me how long. I'm like bro seriously. Lol
But the thing is I know why .

Too much to respond too,

I agree with alot of this though.

Bottom line is 1. Yes BOB should be fired, 2. Either you think BOB is going to improve with a new HC or not. BTW, Young had far less talent to work with in Tampa than DW4 has here. The only offense at any level that DW4 has been successful in consisted of alot of Run Deahaun Run and you would be foolish to expect that to change regardless of who the HC is.

The Texans didn't lose because of DW4 or BOB, that was a total team failure and the house cleaning I've been calling for should happen, but obviously it's not going to happen.

Too much to respond too,

Bottom line is 1. Yes BOB should be fired, 2. Either you think BOB is going to improve with a new HC or not. BTW, Young had far less talent to work with in Tampa than DW4 has here. The only offense at any level that DW4 has been successful in consisted of alot of Run Deahaun Run and you would be foolish to expect that to change regardless of who the HC is.

The Texans didn't lose because of DW4 or BOB, that was a total team failure and the house cleaning I've been calling for should happen, but obviously it's not going to happen.

Wrong, I want DW4 to succeed, I just don't think he will. That's the difference. It's not personal.

Ok DW4 has regressed, his growth has been stunted. I've asked you how before you will realize DW4 ain't the guy? 51-7. This doesn't make me pro BOB either. Yes they are in yr 2 of a 3 year rebuild. DW4's regression should bother you too but I guess it's easier to just blame everything on something else than his piss poor play over the last month.

The only thing Watson has to change is his internal clock and on time delivery. that would instantly change with a modern offense that deploys game plans that take advantage of tendency and in house talent. It would be miraculous if these "super cool deep bomb hail mary" plays OBrien loves so much would offer an underneath rush route or utility route. Nope instead its Watsons dumb ass that cant avoid the rush for 4 seconds, scan the 3 routes in the progression and then hope one of those guys is beating his man since there isnt much in terms of schematic release from the passing combo.

this has already been said, posted and regurgitated. only the dense boomer crowd who is holding on to dear life for "All the Pocket QBs" EVERYWHERE are being stubborn. didnt yall just watch Mahomes push our aholes inward while constantly on the move? You set of innovators want Watson to stand still and "find the open guy" LMAO .. it so hilarious. YOu have dummies like PatdStat who blurt out "the receiver is open" and has to be reminded what a damn progression is from a fromer NFL Qb and current coach. SMH.

this is a vendetta for all the draftniks who whiffed on their guy, and it will NEVER be pushed to the side no matter how great Deshaun IS and WILL BE and im here for every minute of it!! the incessant, whiny groans and pleas nourish me!! NOM NOM!

51-7

That's leadership/greatness.

If you want to see greatness look at #15 on the other sideline. That was leadership. Meanwhile look at DW4 on the sideline.

You think the team collapsing isn't a reflection of this loser of a coach? The same bum who in 6 years has had 4 embarrassing blowout playoff losses including an 0-30 butt kicking at home and losing while up by 24 that still resulted in a blowout because the whole team. When this guy is GM/HC/OC been here longer than the rest of the AFC South coaches with slightly above average results, has had every excuse in the book, has had #1 defenses, weapons out the butt and star players many teams would kill for...he has zero excuse.

Everything this team does is a reflection on him. No excuses.

It's 2 years not 6.

Yes it is and BOB should be fired.

Wow. That never occurred to us...

Just giving you all an unbiased view. You know, a view from the outside looking in. You all are caught up emotionally with the Texans, whereas I am not, so I figured a little affirmation about your suspicions would be appreciated. In other words, it is not YOU, it really is that BOB shouldn’t be the HC.

Just giving you all an unbiased view. You know, a view from the outside looking in. You all are caught up emotionally with the Texans, whereas I am not, so I figured a little affirmation about your suspicions would be appreciated. In other words, it is not YOU, it really is that BOB shouldn’t be the HC.
You're not the only outsider that has said this. Even the guys from KC were questioning some of OB's decisions in that game. While some of us may be caught in the emotions, some of us realize this has been going on for 6 years. This past game may have opened a few more eyes.

Yet they have scores the most points in franchise history or close to it

I would fact check that but can’t muster the energy.
But that’s funny that is an ok excuse to fall back on for the coach and his staff but the qb doesn’t get that same excuse.

All I know is that they **** the bed too often and they tend to get their doors blown off.

Watson and smith both look better with a more competent guy calling the shots.

Wrong, I want DW4 to succeed, I just don't think he will. That's the difference. It's not personal.

Ok DW4 has regressed, his growth has been stunted. I've asked you how before you will realize DW4 ain't the guy? 51-7. This doesn't make me pro BOB either. Yes they are in yr 2 of a 3 year rebuild. DW4's regression should bother you too but I guess it's easier to just blame everything on something else than his piss poor play over the last month.

And yet they have scored the most points in franchise history or close to it. :mcclain:

And yet they have scored the most points in franchise history or close to it. :mcclain:

True,

After being outscored 51-7

I'm for blowing the whole thing up, because there will be no championships as long as either one of them are here. BOB's hardhead got the best of him and DW4 ain't winning a SB.

If you want a winning team keep one or both of these guys. If you want a championship these aren't your guys.

lol, please stop the irony is killing me.

tenor.gif

I think someone mentioned this in the forum before, but why not get some people together and pitch in to buy billboard spots across Houston asking for his resignation or termination?

Really, I would be okay if we got an OC and let BOB do the coaching and GM work. If he would do that, I think things would be different. Perhaps some college level stud who wants to make his mark in the NFL...and who has the 'modern' offensive scheming in mind, tailored to the skill sets of the modern QB that seems to be coming out these days. BOB can offer his play in tight situations if he feels the need, but the primary responsibility would be the OC's. That may work as an option, but I'm no football aficionado by no means...just a thought.

Because of the PSL scam, it isn't as easy as just canceling your tickets. There's an investment involved. You HAVE to buy the tickets if you don't want to lose that investment.
PSLs have helped to destroy the NFL. Besides your point, too large a segment of PSLs are corporate writeoffs. Gone are the days that teams (and the NFL in general) worry about the quality of the product on the field to make changes...............they know that the PSLs will supply uninterrupted monies no matter what.

This is why I've stated dozens of times I want to see Watson in another system , with another OC - So we know if Watson is part of the problem or not because at this point , we don't know if its one or both.

As for what I'd tell Watson in this current crapshow of an offense: If you hit the top of your drop and have nothing get outa the pocket NOW , don't think you have time , make your own time by getting out on the edge which not only puts pressure on those rushers who are now out of position but those 7 DB's in coverage now have to make a decision. Beat them enough and they'll stop doing that mess.
Watson did not have any problem at Clemson getting the ball out quickly even as he went through the whole progression because the play design is well organized to help him go fr 1 to 5 in a logical manner (most of the time it would be 1 to 3 though - or take off).

OB doesn't have the vision; his scheme is all over the place.
With the yearly turnover in personnel, it makes things difficult for new players to learn and for the QB to get in sync with his weapons; not to mention that he and the pass proctectors are having similar issues.

Too much to respond too,

I'm basing my opinion on BOB on the season as whole and his 6 yrs tenure, not just the KC debacle. Personally, I don't see enough progression from him, especially offensively and in terms of game management. Just my opinion. You talk about DW not progressing, he's a 24 yr old with 2.5 seasons of NFL experience. BOB has been here 6yrs and it's the same old same old. When he gets to the playoffs he falls apart. I want more from my HC.

I acknowledge I want more form DW as well. The difference is I believe he's young and has tremendous potential for growth. I believe he just needs a different offensive coach/system to truly excel. At this point in his career development I'd like to see him with some like Kyle Shanahan, that runs schemes designed to help the QB vs BOB who seems to overly complicate things. If Tannehill can make such significant progress with a change in coaching, I can't understand why DW couldn't. You talk about Watson like he's David Carr, but he's not. DW is more talented and has a much better work ethic.

As far as Young on TB and DW here - while DW has had great WRs (when everyone is healthy which hasn't been often) DWs offensive line has been bottom 5 in the league for 2 of his 3 yrs - again that's a fact not an excuse. Even this year, when Tunsil and Howard were healthy the T play was good, but the G play has been sub par. Scharping was a rookie and made his share of rookie mistakes. However, he is clearly talented and should progress nicely into a really good OG. Fulton was poor as was Clark once Howard went out. The OL was better overall this year. In reality, outside of Hopkins and Fuller, we don't have guys that would be sure fire starters on other teams IMO. Don't get me wrong, Hyde had a nice season but in reality, he's just a guy. Duke played well, but was under utilized IMO. Akins and Fells are nice players but they are a far cray from Kelce, Ertz, Kittle or the group of guys in Baltimore. Stills is nice, but he's a good number 3 or 4 Wr

Just keep heckling O'Brien at the games.

Let's be clear, this joker spewed profanities at O'Brien, the other coaches AND the players as they entered the tunnel each and every game............even when they won, but much more animated when they lost. He had someone recording each time, hoping to incite O'Brien to do exactly what he finally did..........for the specific prearranged purpose of selling it to TMZ. O'Brien no doubt would have been better off not blowing, but he was defending the whole team. Incomplete stories like these make for better press for angry fans.

***PUBLIC NOTICE # 7*** CALiente Roberto McNair I hereby DEMAND you call a press conference no later than 1/15/20 and hire a GM an OC and new DC. Failure to reply will result in more Demands

I'm basing my opinion on BOB on the season as whole and his 6 yrs tenure, not just the KC debacle. Personally, I don't see enough progression from him, especially offensively and in terms of game management. Just my opinion. You talk about DW not progressing, he's a 24 yr old with 2.5 seasons of NFL experience. BOB has been here 6yrs and it's the same old same old. When he gets to the playoffs he falls apart. I want more from my HC.

I acknowledge I want more form DW as well. The difference is I believe he's young and has tremendous potential for growth. I believe he just needs a different offensive coach/system to truly excel. At this point in his career development I'd like to see him with some like Kyle Shanahan, that runs schemes designed to help the QB vs BOB who seems to overly complicate things. If Tannehill can make such significant progress with a change in coaching, I can't understand why DW couldn't. You talk about Watson like he's David Carr, but he's not. DW is more talented and has a much better work ethic.

As far as Young on TB and DW here - while DW has had great WRs (when everyone is healthy which hasn't been often) DWs offensive line has been bottom 5 in the league for 2 of his 3 yrs - again that's a fact not an excuse. Even this year, when Tunsil and Howard were healthy the T play was good, but the G play has been sub par. Scharping was a rookie and made his share of rookie mistakes. However, he is clearly talented and should progress nicely into a really good OG. Fulton was poor as was Clark once Howard went out. The OL was better overall this year. In reality, outside of Hopkins and Fuller, we don't have guys that would be sure fire starters on other teams IMO. Don't get me wrong, Hyde had a nice season but in reality, he's just a guy. Duke played well, but was under utilized IMO. Akins and Fells are nice players but they are a far cray from Kelce, Ertz, Kittle or the group of guys in Baltimore. Stills is nice, but he's a good number 3 or 4 Wr

I'm not absolving BOB.

I think under Shanny DW4 would be better but still not a championship level QB. DW4's skill playersare much better than you give them credit for. Most are solid vets who have started for other teams in the NFL. They are good players and when you put them with Hopkins and WFV they're above avg. Speaking of Tannehill, Look at the skill players in the division and tell me who has a better skill position group.

Let's be clear, this joker spewed profanities at O'Brien, the other coaches AND the players as they entered the tunnel each and every game............even when they won, but much more animated when they lost. He had someone recording each time, hoping to incite O'Brien to do exactly what he finally did..........for the specific prearranged purpose of selling it to TMZ. O'Brien no doubt would have been better off not blowing, but he was defending the whole team. Incomplete stories like these make for better press for angry fans.

I get it, but at the same time, drunk losers yelling crap at football games goes back many, many decades (heck, it's probably part of the fanatic fabric of the league the past century).

The inherent problem with O'Brien's meltdown is that it reveals a lack of mental fortitude. Other coaches have been yelled at. Most likely ALL of them at some point or another.

That said, can you imagine Belichick, Tom Landry, Chuck Knoll, Bill Walsh, or any number of other legendary coaches responding in such a manner?

Of course not. This is Dennis Green territory. This is indicative of a person who does not stay in control of his emotions. That's never okay for the leader of men, much less the GM and head coach of your professional team. It's a bad look, and I do have to wonder how Bob McNair would have responded to it. It's certainly not "Texans worthy".

I'm not absolving BOB.

I think under Shanny DW4 would be better but still not a championship level QB. DW4's skill playersare much better than you give them credit for. Most are solid vets who have started for other teams in the NFL. They are good players and when you put them with Hopkins and WFV they're above avg. Speaking of Tannehill, Look at the skill players in the division and tell me who has a better skill position group.

Tannehill has a better overall OL (a big factor) Derek Henry led the NFL in rushing, a big deal since the run play action so often, and A.J. Brown is an absolute stud and Corey Davis is a good WR. Jonnu Smith is a play maker (I’d personally take him over Akins)

I don’t think that highly of anyone on the Jags offensive

The Colts had 2 solid TEs, TY is good, Pascal is solid, I’d take Mack over any RB on our roster. Their OL is much better than ours overall, again big factor

Let me ask you this, would the Texans have won as many games this year with Brisset or Tannehill at QB? I think not. Would the Colts or Titans win more games with DW at QB? I think they would.

This dude and this SB level QB bull crap. Lol smh like he’s this expert who knows who is one and who is not one.
The hilarious part about it is that he gave up on Watson after 3 yrs. He says he will never win a SB, but now hes using Tannehill as an example of a good QB.. even though Tannehill has been in the league for seven years and wasn’t very good his first three years in Miami. He justs throws crap on the wall and see if it sticks.

Last edited:
Why do you guys argue with him. He is like a broken record saying the same things over and over and over just to get a rise out of you.

Some of what he says is based in reality … Yes , the system sucks ass. BUT … Watson has some flaws that contribute to this sputtering offense. He misses open receivers on a routine basis , he holds the ball too long and he has a propensity to stay in the pocket too long rather than get out while the gettins good.

Some if not all of those things might be fixed by proper coaching and a solid scheme …. which we don't have.

@steelbtexan has made up his mind on Watson …. I haven't , I need to see him with a scheme more suited to his talents , that covers for his shortcomings and an OC who can make a defense actually defend sideline to sideline as well as vertically.

You go back and look at Watson in the first 7 games of his career prior to the season ending injury and he had the quickest average release time in the league - You look at today and the script has flipped , he's hanging onto the ball until doomsday.

What happened here ?

Dabo had a great scheme for Watson … it was simple , effective , gave a blocking numbers advantage in the RPO all while masking Watson's liabilities. I don't think that system works on the NFL level but some of the concepts definitely do work and are being implemented by multiple teams and from multiple formations.
Basically on passing plays he had a primary , secondary and a checkdown option and its off script from there - Outside the pocket.

Some of what he says is based in reality … Yes , the system sucks ass. BUT … Watson has some flaws that contribute to this sputtering offense. He misses open receivers on a routine basis , he holds the ball too long and he has a propensity to stay in the pocket too long rather than get out while the gettins good.

Some if not all of those things might be fixed by proper coaching and a solid scheme …. which we don't have.

@steelbtexan has made up his mind on Watson …. I haven't , I need to see him with a scheme more suited to his talents , that covers for his shortcomings and an OC who can make a defense actually defend sideline to sideline as well as vertically.

You go back and look at Watson in the first 7 games of his career prior to the season ending injury and he had the quickest average release time in the league - You look at today and the script has flipped , he's hanging onto the ball until doomsday.

What happened here ?

Dabo had a great scheme for Watson … it was simple , effective , gave a blocking numbers advantage in the RPO all while masking Watson's liabilities. I don't think that system works on the NFL level but some of the concepts definitely do work and are being implemented by multiple teams and from multiple formations.
Basically on passing plays he had a primary , secondary and a checkdown option and its off script from there - Outside the pocket.
I don’t think anyone has said that Watson is perfect. All that you mentioned is true. He does hold on to the ball too long sometimes and tries to play too much backyard ball. Where he isn’t dealing with reality is that he keeps spewing this idea that the Texans should just get rid of him after three freaking years. That idea is just trolling in my opinion but like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion but everyone can also be made fun of too for outlandish opinions.

Watson did not have any problem at Clemson getting the ball out quickly even as he went through the whole progression because the play design is well organized to help him go fr 1 to 5 in a logical manner (most of the time it would be 1 to 3 though - or take off).

OB doesn't have the vision; his scheme is all over the place.
With the yearly turnover in personnel, it makes things difficult for new players to learn and for the QB to get in sync with his weapons; not to mention that he and the pass proctectors are having similar issues.

You know I studied all three of those QB's pre draft …. and my knock on Watson was that he wasn't asked to do much read wise - Dabo kept those reads real simple and flowing from the top down primary , secondary , checkdown …. take off. He was rarely asked to do read more than two and a checkdown.

The pass protection issue …. passing rushers off in real time is not an easy thing to do. That's something that takes time to learn and time together to execute. Ever notice how OL's that have been together for a long period of time tend to be good …. We got for all intents and purposes saw a quarter season with the OL we expect to see going forward.

You also have to realize that with Watson often holding the ball for far too long , these guys are being asked to maintain blocks for an extended time too … This is something that's really got to be fixed scheme wise.

Worst thing is , we didn't wake up this morning to the news that OB had been canned so we likely don't see any real solutions until 2021 ...

I don’t think anyone has said that Watson is perfect. All that you mentioned is true. He does hold on to the ball too long sometimes and tries to play too much backyard ball. Where he isn’t dealing with reality is that he keeps spewing this idea that the Texans should just get rid of him after three freaking years. That idea is just trolling in my opinion but like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion but everyone can also be made fun of too for outlandish opinions.

What you consider to be outlandish I consider to be common sense. If you dont think a guy can win a championship why waste the time and effort. Moving on seems like the smart thing to do. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back