Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluehen Texan

Waterboy
If anything he should have challenged it to see if it was a first down. He wasted a timeout anyway.
. Very good point. IF his hesitation was do to considering challenging the spot why didn’t he actually challenge instead of just blowing a timeout.
If you're Texans ownership, and your coach says they made a suboptimal decision to go for a FG on fourth and 1 because HE COULDN'T FIGURE OUT A PLAY TO CALL, don't you wonder if you have the right guy?
In the presser after OB stated that he hesitated because he was considering challenging the spot.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Ultimately it comes down to the fact that we on this board represent a small section of the fan base. For most people football is a very casual thing that is more about the tailgating and friends and family than it is about how well the team is doing. Look at all the franchises with years or decades of absolutely horrible records that still have die hard fans that sell out the seats. Hell look at Browns fans, they may whine and complain but they are still there every Sunday.

Even that poll showing 80 or whatever percent wanted him fired well that was right after a bad lose, run that poll again in say April or August and I think you'll see it drop because most people just don't care enough to say one way or the other. Even if they do say they want him fired they'll still buy tickets or if they are season ticket holders locked in like Speedy said go to the games rather than just leave the seat empty.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Yes, he's a middling HC.

Yes, DW4 hasn't made much progress in 3yrs.

Didn't the Texans beat Vrabels Titans a month ago?
Bill O'Brien does some thing well. However, he appears unwilling to acknowledge the things he does not do well. His ineptness of game day management is the clearest example. My concern is that he continues to add responsibilities (GM) without growth and without realizing he needs to delegate play-calling, clock management, etc... I am expecting the organization to implode this off-season, leading to a 2013 like season and forced rebuild. I just don't see how O'Brien is capable of leading the organization through all the player personnel decisions forthcoming in free agency and the draft and also making improvements to the coaching staff where they are needed.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
This. The field goal and fake punt sealed it. If you watch the video replay you can see Watson just perplexed by his play call. Then OB forced to take time out. Then Hopkins standing in front of as OB searched through his play calls looking for something to call. You can tell at that point and time he was looking at his menu of plays but it was all gibberish to him. The moment was too big for him.
This. This, This, This.....

It's not that he's terrible at everything. He can't be batting around .500 by being an angry block of wood. He's just a coordinator (at best) trying to do everything himself and it's impossible to ignore.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

How many more times do the Texans need to see this?
Once again, Bill O’Brien showed that he’s not the right coach to lead the Texans to the next level. The Chiefs were undoubtedly the more talented team during Sunday’s game, but O’Brien made two baffling decisions that would’ve helped the Texans’ chances of opening an even bigger lead.
Up 21-0 early in the second quarter, Houston had a chance to expand that lead to four touchdowns with a fourth and one from Kansas City’s 13-yard line. Deshaun Watson and a host of talented skill players, including Deandre Hopkins, just needed to gain one yard.
Look. Patrick Mahomes is on the other side of the field. A million receivers that run a 4.3 40-yard dash are on the other side of the field. They have playcallers in Andy Reid and Eric Bieniemy that can get receivers open with ease against any coverage look a defense throws out. They will score touchdowns. This was the perfect time for Houston to pour it on after they lucked into a 21-0 lead due to multiple special teams errors.

Instead, the Texans kicked a field goal, with just one yard to go for a first down, with just 13 yards to go for a touchdown! To make things worse, O’Brien initially appeared to be willing to go for it, but called a timeout to bring the field goal team out — his second timeout in three plays. He wasted two timeouts on a drive that ended with a 31-yard field goal to make their lead 24-0.
The next three plays for Kansas City? A 58-yard return by rookie return man Mecole Hardman, a 25-yard pass to Travis Kelce, and a 17-yard touchdown pass to Damien Williams. It took just 59 seconds to cut Houston’s lead from 24 to 17.
Houston’s next drive is where their lead really started to fall apart. Houston opened up their drive with two straight runs up the middle with Carlos Hyde, which netted six yards, and an incomplete pass to Will Fuller.
On fourth and four on their own 31, Houston elected for a fake punt where they snapped the ball directly to safety Justin Reid and he gained two yards. Kansas City scored a touchdown three plays later.

Really? That’s the spot O’Brien chose to be aggressive in?
Honestly, the fake punt was almost executed to perfection. Reid had an open lane to the right and just had to make one man miss to pick up the first down. He couldn’t, though, because he doesn’t have much experience running the football.
If you’re going to give the ball back to most explosive offense of the last two years, why not make them go the length of the field instead of just 33 yards?
What happened next was maybe inevitable. Kansas City scored two touchdowns in their next five offensive plays; 24-0 became 28-24 in ten minutes of game time.

If O’Brien were competent, there’s no guarantee that would have been enough to win.
But he’s not, and they had no chance of winning.
Opting for field goals over touchdowns and giving Kansas City short fields is asking for a loss. O’Brien is exactly good enough to take the Texans to the wild card round and the occasional divisional round. It’s time for Houston to ask if he’s the right guy to take Watson and the rest of the team any further.
Yesterday, the answer to that question was a resounding no.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Ultimately it comes down to the fact that we on this board represent a small section of the fan base. For most people football is a very casual thing that is more about the tailgating and friends and family than it is about how well the team is doing. Look at all the franchises with years or decades of absolutely horrible records that still have die hard fans that sell out the seats. Hell look at Browns fans, they may whine and complain but they are still there every Sunday.

Even that poll showing 80 or whatever percent wanted him fired well that was right after a bad lose, run that poll again in say April or August and I think you'll see it drop because most people just don't care enough to say one way or the other. Even if they do say they want him fired they'll still buy tickets or if they are season ticket holders locked in like Speedy said go to the games rather than just leave the seat empty.
I'm glad ownership and the front office is running the franchise for fans who don't really care

bigmck

Rookie
I have no clue how players can rally around O'Brien after yesterday's brainfarts. Whether it was not going for it up 21-0 and a shot at the jugular (so it seemed)...but that fake punt call, with The Chiefs already sniffing it, was beyond awful, it was unforgivable. He's gotta go.
The post above should overload the server with everyone hitting the LIKE Button.

Porky

Hall of Fame
We should have a publicly owned team like the Packers. No single person can buy the team, but if we also owned some shares, then we all become owners.

Of course, that's never going to happen, but it would be cool if it did.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I would have people convince McNair to step in and make O’Brien give up play calling duties.

I think if Cal forced him to hire an OC or make changes to his staff, teapot might quit than accept those changes.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I’ve been called out the trend and that’s Bill O’Brien. You can’t expect these players to flourish with an unstable minded head coach/OC. We’re talking about 6 years of the same madness. And here you are talking about a trend with Watson. Unbelievable, in three years in spite of Bill O’Brien this youngster has still thrown for well over 9000 yards 71 Touchdowns with 29 interceptions. The youngster will improve because he’s a student of the game. Mr. Smith has only bern here a year, so give him his due diligence. Rome wasn’t built overnight. Therefore, stop claiming he won’t improve. Coach Smith will handle up.
One last note: O’Brien has to change.

Watson has to change …. He's got to get the ball out quicker. His greatest strength is also his greatest liability - He thinks he can escape just about anything but its led to teams all playing him similarly - rush 4 , do your best to contain him in a shrinking pocket , drop 7 and keep everything in front of you. This offense can not string together long drives.
Watson's gonna make his highlight plays …. but you limit those you beat the Texans.

Yesterdays game is a prime example - KC did just that for most of the game. KC gave up that first TD on a big play and the offense only put up another 7 points the rest of the way. Essentially the Texans offense scored a hot 14 points , 14 are attributed to the special teams setting them up on a short field and the punt block / return / TD. The defense also set them up in prime position for that FG.

3 quarters - 7 points and no sustained drives.
It aint all on OB , its also on the guy pulling the trigger.

OB has to GO …. don't care where he goes so long as he's gone from here. But Watson has to make some changes.

eriadoc

Texan-American
Watson has to change …. He's got to get the ball out quicker.
Agreed, but all too often, the All-22 has shown nowhere to go with the ball when his back foot hits the end of his drop. That's on scheme and if it happens enough, it breeds that superman mentality. He has to trust the system will put players in position for him to deliver the ball. That's not happening, so he probably doesn't trust the system. You watch any other team in the playoffs and there are guys open. You watch whoever plays the Texans, and there are guys WIDE open. So either Hopkins, Fuller, Stills, and whoever are not good at getting open or there's some questionable scheming going on. I think we all know the answer to that conundrum.

Used to be we had a coach around here that could scheme anyone open. Now, we see the reverse of that. When that type of scheme is in place, I sincerely doubt you'll see the same issues from Watson. In other words, you put Watson on about 20 other teams, and he gets the ball out on time.

VTexan

Rookie
the field goal is fine imo. put it up nearly 4 scores.

but if you kick a field goal on 4th and 1... you better ******* punt the ball at 4th and 4.

that and the fact that he was GOING TO PUNT down 17 in the 4th quarter.. then we had to burn a TO which we would have needed should we have came back.... that is absolutely inexcusable.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Watson has to change …. He's got to get the ball out quicker. His greatest strength is also his greatest liability - He thinks he can escape just about anything but its led to teams all playing him similarly - rush 4 , do your best to contain him in a shrinking pocket , drop 7 and keep everything in front of you. This offense can not string together long drives.
Watson's gonna make his highlight plays …. but you limit those you beat the Texans.

Yesterdays game is a prime example - KC did just that for most of the game. KC gave up that first TD on a big play and the offense only put up another 7 points the rest of the way. Essentially the Texans offense scored a hot 14 points , 14 are attributed to the special teams setting them up on a short field and the punt block / return / TD. The defense also set them up in prime position for that FG.

3 quarters - 7 points and no sustained drives.
It aint all on OB , its also on the guy pulling the trigger.

OB has to GO …. don't care where he goes so long as he's gone from here. But Watson has to make some changes.

Yes Watson has some work to do on his game. But so does that entire offense. Especially that offensive line who struggles consistently with a 3 to 4 man rush. The scheme has to improve immensely. We can't continue to get behind because Obrien stubbornness with running up the gut on darn near every 1st down play. Now we're predictable and at the defense mercy. What happened to the RPO's and misdirection plays that worked great in our first meeting.

The few of yall continues to say Watson have to improve like he's stinking up the joint. But my thing is our offensive schemes/plan is all over the place. Watching the Chiefs and Ravens you will notice they're not switching up their offense every week. They're running what they do best and daring a joker to stop them. They are not switching up their schemes according to what defensive system they will be facing.

Bro that is a lot on a youngster as well as that entire offense.

Cerberus

Hall of Fame
I always try to start off by qualifying things by stating I’m first and foremost a Raider fan. However, I like the Texans too, because I lived in Houston from ’96-’19. So, let me say this. I don’t think BOB is the right HC to take the Texans to the SB, but I also wasn’t surprised the way Mahomes and the Chiefs came back. Remember, they play my Raiders twice a year, so I know what they do. BOB should have also known the Chiefs were’t going to lay down, and he should have kept the pedal to the metal. The player meltdown to match the Chief’s earlier meltdown also didn’t help. The Texans need more discipline and a couple more pieces to the puzzle. At least the Texans have Watson. My Raiders have Carr, who hasn’t been the same since he broke his leg. Now he is more suited for Dancing With the Stars.

tedr

Rookie
Well the Astros just fired Luhnow and Hinch. Maybe Cal can follow their lead.
I really wish the Texans had an owner who was willing to make the tough, but necessary, changes. I don't know if firing both Luhnow and Hinch was the right thing to do, but at least Crane will take action. I think Cal's just happy making a lot of money, and if they happen to make the playoffs, that's fine.

It's not just that BoB can't get his team to a conference championship game (after six years, with a pretty talented team). It's that he doesn't seem to get any better at his job. His team follows up a potentially season-changing win against the Patriots by going down 31-3 at half to a rookie QB at home the next week. That's just unacceptable, and it's on the head coach. As I've said before, his job is to get his team ready to play each week, and he doesn't come close to doing that.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
When fans from other teams visit here, they can clearly see what we see in OB. I just wish Cal did too.
Cal McNair is a silver-spooned doofus.

Here is his quote from July 2019 when they got caught trying to get Caserio from NE:

McNair described the G.M.-free front office as part of a “flatter organization with a faster management style,” via Sports Business Daily. “The organization is totally re-energized with a team-based approach and new leadership based on sub programs with each sub program being fully optimized as a goal.” Source

What the heck is he babbling on about?? Seriously, he read this crap from a note card. He is unable to even think of this string of pointless drivel on his own. He's clearly a beta personality that needs an alpha to run his franchise, and he's got that in O'Brien. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cal is a little afraid of O'Brien.

The truth is this franchise is a laughing stock of the league for what went down yesterday and the delusional expectations of some fans.

I wish enough Texans fans cared about this franchise enough to turn their collective backs on it and raise hell with the front office until O'Brien is gone. But, we don't have the numbers, and this city will just continue with the status quo BS - lather, rinse, repeat cycle again and again.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Agreed, but all too often, the All-22 has shown nowhere to go with the ball when his back foot hits the end of his drop. That's on scheme and if it happens enough, it breeds that superman mentality. He has to trust the system will put players in position for him to deliver the ball. That's not happening, so he probably doesn't trust the system. You watch any other team in the playoffs and there are guys open. You watch whoever plays the Texans, and there are guys WIDE open. So either Hopkins, Fuller, Stills, and whoever are not good at getting open or there's some questionable scheming going on. I think we all know the answer to that conundrum.

Used to be we had a coach around here that could scheme anyone open. Now, we see the reverse of that. When that type of scheme is in place, I sincerely doubt you'll see the same issues from Watson. In other words, you put Watson on about 20 other teams, and he gets the ball out on time.

This is why I've stated dozens of times I want to see Watson in another system , with another OC - So we know if Watson is part of the problem or not because at this point , we don't know if its one or both.

As for what I'd tell Watson in this current crapshow of an offense: If you hit the top of your drop and have nothing get outa the pocket NOW , don't think you have time , make your own time by getting out on the edge which not only puts pressure on those rushers who are now out of position but those 7 DB's in coverage now have to make a decision. Beat them enough and they'll stop doing that mess.

Reactions: ROO

Texansballer74

The Marine
Don't put words in my mouth.

What I've said all along is that I don't know if Watson is part of the problem or not and that I want to see him with a new coaching staff / new offensive system before making that decision.
My bad. But I do know this much, you have a really good football mind. Therefore, after seeing us go through so many quarterbacks. Why would you even think Watson could be the problem. So far he’s the only QB under this regime to make it look half decent. Especially playing behind an atrocious offensive line every year. By time we do get another HC/OC , this youngster might be damaged goods.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If anything he should have challenged it to see if it was a first down. He wasted a timeout anyway.
Exactly.

In his press conference he was saying how he thought we had a 1st down & was preparing for a 1st down play. But when he realized they didn't give us the 1st it was too late so he went with the kick.

I don't understand how that can be your mindset & then when you realize you need to call a timeout to get the kicking team out there, how can you not instinctively reach for the red flag?

You thought you had a 1st down, you're preparing for 1st down. You find out you didn't get it... challenge it, you might get your 1st (& I think he would) without running a play.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Who cares? He hit his ceiling yesterday. That's the problem. Vrabel has as many playoff wins as this loser AND done in on the road twice something B'OB hasn't done with or without Watson.

Okay he's a slightly above average HC. Yay, thanks for the division titles and embarrassing playoff losses Bill. Keep on making all the decisions, being HC and OC being overwhelmed, outcoached and embarrassing this team and franchise.

But that's okay because in the SIX years this loser has been making the same mistakes its Deshaun Watson's fault after 2 full seasons and 2.5 seasons worth of games. That's the root of six years of absolute slightly above average garbage
Nope, yesterday was a full team collapse.

Coaching/Offense/Defense

ST's even gave up a long KR.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’ve been called out the trend and that’s Bill O’Brien. You can’t expect these players to flourish with an unstable minded head coach/OC. We’re talking about 6 years of the same madness. And here you are talking about a trend with Watson. Unbelievable, in three years in spite of Bill O’Brien this youngster has still thrown for well over 9000 yards 71 Touchdowns with 29 interceptions. The youngster will improve because he’s a student of the game. Mr. Smith has only bern here a year, so give him his due diligence. Rome wasn’t built overnight. Therefore, stop claiming he won’t improve. Coach Smith will handle up.
One last note: O’Brien has to change.
Coach Smith didn't help much this yr.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
It's notable that the front office has made no public statements today and has done nothing newsworthy after a such a historic failure. No suggestion of even a performance review of a coach or coordinator while all national media and two local beat writers are calling for the head coach to be fired. This seems unusual when a coach is in his sixth year and has delivered an unsatisfactory record and shown no improvement in his flaws. Either Cal is playing it close to the vest or doesn't really have the ice-cold commitment to success that the Gaine firing implied.

Status
Not open for further replies.