Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Except was he really pissed? I get being upset about being franchised and not getting an extension worked out, but the plan at that point was to come in at the end of camp, sign the tender, and get back to business. It wasn't until OB wanted to send him off to Miami that things went south. Next thing you know you're giving up an impact player for almost nothing AND paying half his salary.
I'm talking about the post trade to Miami plan, Houston was never going to resign Clowney, he wanted paid more than he was worth. So yeah when they tried to trade him and couldn't at that point he was pissed and could have been a locker room problem.

At what point do you say, no more Texans until a change happens? No Tv viewing and no more gear, no more going to games. Owners own the teams, the fans pay for them, somewhat. So when does enough become enough and we just stop until Bill is gone with Crennell under his arm? change is inevitable, it's time for some out on Kirby.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I'm talking about the post trade to Miami plan, Houston was never going to resign Clowney, he wanted paid more than he was worth. So yeah when they tried to trade him and couldn't at that point he was pissed and could have been a locker room problem.
Oh yeah, agree with that. Once they screwed the pooch then you probably have to do something. Well, something except what they did.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Alright, you can have the last word. I’m not remotely interested in a back and forth with you on this, or any subject for that matter. It always leads to a dead end.
Truth hurts sometimes

How many years are you willing to give him before you admit the obvious? Not looking for an argument, just looking for a time frame.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
It's not like they don't have picks and cap space to improve.
1. The teams the Texans faced this year all have injured players that will come back. The Texans have uncertainty with Watt and a lesser JJo who might even retired.
2. The other teams will have more picks so in theory, they will improve more, negating any improvement the Texans may or may not make. Obviously teams can waste away all their picks like the Texans did in 2014. It's not like the Texans last draft was anything to write home about.
3. Lots of cap space will be spent on Watson, and Mr. False Start if you're the GM and the Texans still have a lot of holes to fill and a lot of thíngs to decide on regarding their own players.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think Brown was more of a Rick Smith not negotiating his contract before the season. He was willing to play, just wanted a new contract.

OB probably didn’t help though.
I believe the only thing Brown was looking for was the backend of his contract to be guaranteed. That should've been a no-brainer for the organization since he was one of the top LT's in the game and Watson was a rookie.

banned1976

sleeper mode
1. The teams the Texans faced this year all have injured players that will come back. The Texans have uncertainty with Watt and a lesser JJo who might even retired.
2. The other teams will have more picks so in theory, they will improve more, negating any improvement the Texans may or may not make. Obviously teams can waste away all their picks like the Texans did in 2014. It's not like the Texans last draft was anything to write home about.
3. Lots of cap space will be spent on Watson, and Mr. False Start if you're the GM and the Texans still have a lot of holes to fill and a lot of thíngs to decide on regarding their own players.
It kind of reminds me of backlash in a baitcast reel. Now someone has to come in and untangle the mess the previous GM’s (I’m including Gaine) created.

And let’s not forget, Gaine was a guy O’Brien wanted. So in 18 months O’Brien got...
The GM he wanted
That general manager fired
Himself made general manager
The LT he wanted
Rid of multiple premium picks for players in short term contracts.

All of this for one of the most embarrassing Houston professional sports drubbing.

austins23

Hall of Fame
If you're Texans ownership, and your coach says they made a suboptimal decision to go for a FG on fourth and 1 because HE COULDN'T FIGURE OUT A PLAY TO CALL, don't you wonder if you have the right guy?
This is my issue with OB.

I have no issue kicking the FG at that point. Keep scoring points, no problem.

My issue is that he said “I didn’t have a play I felt good about.” Or something like that. How the heck does your HC/OC NOT have a play call to feel good about?? The defense you’re goin against isn’t the 85 Bears. AND you’ve got Watson with the ball in his hands. Hopkins, Hyde, Duke, Fuller, Fells, Stills, etc.... HOW can you not have a play you “feel good about”?? ONE YARD OB, one yard!
And they called a timeout prior if I remember correctly.
This is a huge concern with OB.

Texansballer74

The Marine

My issue is that he said “I didn’t have a play I felt good about.” Or something like that. How the heck does your HC/OC NOT have a play call to feel good about?? The defense you’re goin against isn’t the 85 Bears. AND you’ve got Watson with the ball in his hands. Hopkins, Hyde, Duke, Fuller, Fells, Stills, etc.... HOW can you not have a play you “feel good about”?? ONE YARD OB, one yard!
Lol he said he didn’t have a good play for that 4th and 1. Too freaking funny

Texansballer74

The Marine
We’re talking about the smartest guy in the room. The quarterback whisperer with the creative gem we’ve never seen before. And you couldn’t draw up a creative play.
Confidence: how do you expect your players to exhibit confidence when you don’t have it.
This team’s identity is that of their head coach

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

This has always been a concern. His slow decision making, lack of hurry up plays, and time management finally came to bite him in the worse possible way.

austins23

Hall of Fame
OB coached the 4th quarter as if he was enjoying a comfortable lead.....WHERE THE HELL WAS THE URGENCY? Has this man ever run a 2-Minute No-Huddle Offense? They huddled up every dammed play.....maybe he was under the impression that he could finally cash-in on his cache of TO's not used during the season.
He didn’t want the Chiefs to drop 60 on them.
I would keep the ST Coach, he earned his pay check today, but no one else seemed to.
I agree. But I would have him go tell OB, hey coach why are we kicking to this guy? He’s fast AF! Let’s kick it out of the end zone!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It kind of reminds me of backlash in a baitcast reel. Now someone has to come in and untangle the mess the previous GM’s (I’m including Gaine) created.

And let’s not forget, Gaine was a guy O’Brien wanted. So in 18 months O’Brien got...
The GM he wanted
That general manager fired
Himself made general manager
The LT he wanted
Rid of multiple premium picks for players in short term contracts.

All of this for one of the most embarrassing Houston professional sports drubbing.
This is a false narrative.

Gaine was who Bob McNair wanted.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I have no clue how players can rally around O'Brien after yesterday's brainfarts. Whether it was not going for it up 21-0 and a shot at the jugular (so it seemed)...but that fake punt call, with The Chiefs already sniffing it, was beyond awful, it was unforgivable. He's gotta go.
It was bad and if you're willing to do this, you should be willing to go for it on 4th and 1

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I have no clue how players can rally around O'Brien after yesterday's brainfarts. Whether it was not going for it up 21-0 and a shot at the jugular (so it seemed)...but that fake punt call, with The Chiefs already sniffing it, was beyond awful, it was unforgivable. He's gotta go.
There was a brief showing of the players' face near the end of the first half. They looked like they've already lost the game.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
You can't see a trend?
I see a trend of OB getting completely out classed in the playoffs, the Chiefs, The Colts and the Chiefs again. Heck I’d even put the first half of the Bills game on that list. None of those games were even close. I see a trend of us having terrible performances after good wins this season. I see a trend of OB making poor decisions during games. At this point OB has proven he’s a mediocre at best HC. It sickens me to see young HC coaches in Vrabel, LaFluer and Shanahan completely outcoach OB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I see a trend of OB getting completely out classed in the playoffs, the Chiefs, The Colts and the Chiefs again. Heck I’d even put the first half of the Bills game on that list. None of those games were even close. I see a trend of us having terrible performances after good wins this season. I see a trend of OB making poor decisions during games. At this point OB has proven he’s a mediocre at best HC. It sickens me to see young HC coaches in Vrabel, LaFluer and Shanahan completely outcoach OB
Yes, he's a middling HC.

Yes, DW4 hasn't made much progress in 3yrs.

Didn't the Texans beat Vrabels Titans a month ago?

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
The only way I see is have the NFL force McNair to sell... what did the Panthers owner do? Anyone know somebody?

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Didn't the Texans beat Vrabels Titans a month ago?
Yep but Vrabel just took his guys into Baltimore and whooped there ass while OB got curbed stomped when we played them. Vrabel just beat NE in NE which OB has never done

I’d also add Vrabel was smart enough to hire competent coordinators, one of which took a mediocre QB in RT and now has him playing at a very high level

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yep but Vrabel just took his guys into Baltimore and whooped there ass while OB got curbed stomped when we played them. Vrabel just NE in NE which OB has never done
Just pointing out BOB isn't as bad as some make him out to be.

Meanwhile that sucky Tannehill is going to an AFCCG.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
The owner will probably want to keep him. The games are a sellout and Obrien may choose to use his bully tactics. No way cancelling season tickets would make any difference because not enough people would do it. The Coach/Playcaller does not have the constitution in his guts to handle the pressure of these big games. It is a requisite to be able to think clearly when the pressure is ramped up. A guy with a nickname of "The Teapot" does not have the ability to make effective decisions under fire. I was more depressed than angry yesterday when the Playcaller sent out those absurd plays when we were way ahead. That is what he has usually done in moments of great magnitude. I hear him say "we are headed in the right direction" and "we just have to coach better" after yesterday's game but that is what he always says after his numerous mistakes.

Maybe if everybody elects to chip in $20 for gigantic signs in high traffic areas requesting his dismissal he would resign or get canned.

Is there any way to get rid of him and if so, how? All suggestions are appreciated.
I guess I could buy the team and fire him myself.:ahhaha:

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think enough cancelling tickets and complaining would make a difference.

But what % of season ticket holders are ready to do that?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I think enough cancelling tickets and complaining would make a difference.

But what % of season ticket holders are ready to do that?
I commented on this elsewhere. Because of PSL's it's not as easy as simply not renewing your season tickets. PSL's force you to buy the tickets or you lose that investment. So in essence, the NFL was able to come up with a scheme where they didn't have to worry too much about season ticket sales dropping.

Now there are season tickets without PSL's, mine for example, but that's a lot smaller percentage that really isn't going to make that much difference.

Texansballer74

The Marine
You can't see a trend?
I’ve been called out the trend and that’s Bill O’Brien. You can’t expect these players to flourish with an unstable minded head coach/OC. We’re talking about 6 years of the same madness. And here you are talking about a trend with Watson. Unbelievable, in three years in spite of Bill O’Brien this youngster has still thrown for well over 9000 yards 71 Touchdowns with 29 interceptions. The youngster will improve because he’s a student of the game. Mr. Smith has only bern here a year, so give him his due diligence. Rome wasn’t built overnight. Therefore, stop claiming he won’t improve. Coach Smith will handle up.
One last note: O’Brien has to change.

Last edited:
Just pointing out BOB isn't as bad as some make him out to be.

Meanwhile that sucky Tannehill is going to an AFCCG.
Who cares? He hit his ceiling yesterday. That's the problem. Vrabel has as many playoff wins as this loser AND done in on the road twice something B'OB hasn't done with or without Watson.

Okay he's a slightly above average HC. Yay, thanks for the division titles and embarrassing playoff losses Bill. Keep on making all the decisions, being HC and OC being overwhelmed, outcoached and embarrassing this team and franchise.

But that's okay because in the SIX years this loser has been making the same mistakes its Deshaun Watson's fault after 2 full seasons and 2.5 seasons worth of games. That's the root of six years of absolute slightly above average garbage

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Who cares? He hit his ceiling yesterday.
This. The field goal and fake punt sealed it. If you watch the video replay you can see Watson just perplexed by his play call. Then OB forced to take time out. Then Hopkins standing in front of as OB searched through his play calls looking for something to call. You can tell at that point and time he was looking at his menu of plays but it was all gibberish to him. The moment was too big for him.

TexCanada

All Pro
I was fine with the decision to take the 3 points at 21-0, but it's ridiculous that the reasoning is he didn't have a good play.

The fake punt is inexcusable. You have to think of the risk vs reward in these situations, and the risk was enormous with little payoff. Even if we convert that, we only have the ball at our own 40 or so, far from automatically putting points on the board. The risk was a complete reversal of momentum. Giving them a short field after just having scored on a short field is pure stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.