Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
If you’re not supporting OB, and you’re not advocating his removal, then why are you even responding in the fire Bill O’Brien thread?

Nobody reading this thread is ready to put on rose tinted glasses that are illuminating a false narrative that Bill O’Brien called a good game today. He didn’t. And as GM, he didn’t do the defense any favors either. Someone is going to have to come in and pick up the pieces with some creative FA signings and draft day moves to help this terrible pass defense.
probably b/c you guys typically have this B.S. bleed over into every thread on here that’s why.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I agree with your point, but you are forgetting complementary football. Technically, 24-0, you should be looking to shorten the game. You shorten the game by moving the chains with the running game, short passes and take your deep shots off play action. When you don't have Gipson and having to use Lonnie Johnson to cover Kelcie, the offense has to do a better job protecting the defense and you do that by keeping them off the field.
I would’ve definitely liked to have seen us run it more when we got up like that...but I can see it now on this MB if we’d have still wound up losing..Folks would said “BoB turtled...should’ve kept his foot on their neck and kept passing it ..”. “Why would he go away from the pass game?” or my personal fav “let DW4 be DW4”.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
The thing that continues to piss me off about OB is we all want him gone, or wouldn’t miss him, and yet here we are fighting amongst ourselves on his removal.

That guy creates disfunction even when he isn’t in the room.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I would’ve definitely liked to have seen us run it more when we got up like that...but I can see it now on this MB if we’d have still wound up losing..Folks would said “BoB turtled...should’ve kept his foot on their neck and kept passing it ..”. “Why would he go away from the pass game?” or my personal fav “let DW4 be DW4”.
For me, it's not just about running the ball. It's also how we run the ball. If he is running the ball from different formations and trying to shorten the game without constantly running shotgun runs, I don't think people would complain.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
2-14 records, as well as epic playoff chokes, should be the base level standard for replacing a coaching staff for this franchise. If nothing changes at the top, we will know where this owner stands with regards to expectations and goals.

Players share the blame, but who picks the players?

Ultimately, this kind of historical meltdown is indicative of failed leadership.

Cal will most likely keep the status quo (maybe sacrifice an assistant or two). It's certainly what I expect from him. And he will justify it (and the subsequent price increases) with regular season records and those legendary division "championships" (aka Htown pro football superb owls).

And if that's the case - until proven otherwise - then the expectation levels for this franchise are set very low from the owner on down. That's depressing and hopeless as a fan.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
For me, it's not just about running the ball. It's also how we run the ball. If he is running the ball from different formations and trying to shorten the game without constantly running shotgun runs, I don't think people would complain.
Great post. I agree. Running from the shotgun all of the time is frustrating and predictable

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
mob but they would..if you’ve been around here for any length of time you’d know that. The ONLY time it’s tempered is when the team wins in spectacular and dominating fashion.
People here wanna see air raid..they wanna see UH run and shoot track meet offense...that’s why all everyone wants Lincoln Riley and all these hot new OC’s. anything short of that...

amazing80

Hall of Fame
mob but they would..if you’ve been around here for any length of time you’d know that. The ONLY time it’s tempered is when the team wins in spectacular and dominating fashion.
People here wanna see air raid..they wanna see UH run and shoot track meet offense...that’s why all everyone wants Lincoln Riley and all these hot new OC’s. anything short of that...
Outside of a few people no one has said that. Nice try though

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Outside of a few people no one has said that. Nice try though
Reading is fundamental...never said any said that...but I could easily see you and a choice few others making that argument.....b/c that’s what ya’ll do. Look at **** in a vacuum and use hella hindsight rather than looking at things as they proceed within the flow and tone of the actual circumstances.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Reading is fundamental...never said any said that...but I could easily see you and a choice few others making that argument.....b/c that’s what ya’ll do. Look at **** in a vacuum and use hella hindsight rather than looking at things as they proceed within the flow and tone of the actual circumstances.
Like I said. No one has said that. Try to keep up

texanhead08

All Pro
If i am the owner here is my plan I hire a GM and he’s in charge of football operations and tell BOB if you don’t like it there’s the door.

I tell BOB you hire a O.C. to call plays and you focus on in game decisions because it’s obvious you can’t wear all of these hats at once and if you dont like it it was nice knowing you.

if you bring back RAC you need to have a plan to succeed him because you need to find his replacement in the near future.

The more I think about this team the more frustrated I get. Bill went all in this season to produce the same damn result. Then Mike Vrabel takes the Titans futher than this team's whole history in a span of 2 seasons. Not only that every AFC team has at least been in the AFC championship game since B'OB has been HC.

To add to that, every year B'OB has had some kind of excuse that gets him a pass.

What gets to me the most are the way we lose. No matter what we do, who we have the results have been the same

2x we miss the playoff all together (okay 2017 gets a slight pass for all the injuries)
4x we lose in BLOWOUTS in embarrassing fashion

I have held in my frustration trying to be more level headed. But I'm so sick of the Bill O'Brien era. I'm so tired of settling for slightly above average/playoff team because "we don't know if there's anything better out there". It's old, it's frustrating and I've still yet to live to see a Houston football team at least come close to going to the damn Super Bowl.

Worst part is, at least for next season nothing will change. They may sacrifice RAC and get a DC, but its going to be the same exact story.

Rant over

Earl34

Hall of Fame
The more I think about this team the more frustrated I get. Bill went all in this season to produce the same damn result. Then Mike Vrabel takes the Titans futher than this team's whole history in a span of 2 seasons. Not only that every AFC team has at least been in the AFC championship game since B'OB has been HC.

To add to that, every year B'OB has had some kind of excuse that gets him a pass.

What gets to me the most are the way we lose. No matter what we do, who we have the results have been the same

2x we miss the playoff all together (okay 2017 gets a slight pass for all the injuries)
4x we lose in BLOWOUTS in embarrassing fashion

I have held in my frustration trying to be more level headed. But I'm so sick of the Bill O'Brien era. I'm so tired of settling for slightly above average/playoff team because "we don't know if there's anything better out there". It's old, it's frustrating and I've still yet to live to see a Houston football team at least come close to going to the damn Super Bowl.

Worst part is, at least for next season nothing will change. They may sacrifice RAC and get a DC, but its going to be the same exact story.

Rant over
Worst part of this? 3 out of the 4 HCs in the championship games are former Texans' coaches. Go figure.

Worst part of this? 3 out of the 4 HCs in the championship games are former Texans' coaches. Go figure.
There are so many angles I forget to complete how much of a failure I think this coaching staff has resulted in. Today was their ceiling and it sours my excitement for next season because the main problem won't be addressed just silly fixes to appease the fans.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I’m just going to post this statement right here.

I "I felt like I had a first down there and when I didn't, I just felt like we didn't have a great play there for the fourth down at that point and time," O'Brien explained afterward, also adding he'd considered challenging the spot of the ball. "So, I felt like it was better to kick the three but that's a very fair question. I felt like it was just better to kick the field goal there."

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Excuse? They got out scored 51-7. Better team won. No need for excuses.
always has to be blame for some here. If I told everyone here before the game we would start fast, have a 24 pt lead at 1 point, we would score 31 pts and not have any TO’s on offense and get a special teams TD I guarantee u every single person here would take that....& think that it’s likely that we won the game.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
always has to be blame for some here. If I told everyone here before the game we would start fast, have a 24 pt lead at 1 point, we would score 31 pts and not have any TO’s on offense and get a special teams TD I guarantee u every single person here would take that....& think that it’s likely that we won the game.
Sure, I'll take the points.
But I never thought the Texans were going to win the game even at that.
It was the Chiefs that shot themselves in the foot.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Sure, I'll take the points.
But I never thought the Texans were going to win the game even at that.
It was the Chiefs that shot themselves in the foot.

Too early in the game and I knew KC was going to respond it was just going to be a matter of if we could withstand it long enough to win. I was actually afraid BoB would get overly conservative and run the ball to death when we went up by that much so early. He actually did the opposite.

But the only people making distinctions about how the points got on the board are folks with agendas. Doubt the Titans give a rats ass that The Ravens we’re dropping passes left and right that killed drives and went a long way to helping them win their game.
Just go ahead and say u wanted the Texans to lose in hopes that it may spur changes to the coaching staff...you’ll be better for it.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Too early in the game and I knew KC was going to respond it was just going to be a matter of if we could withstand it long enough to win. I was actually afraid BoB would get overly conservative and run the ball to death when we went up by that much so early. He actually did the opposite.

But the only people making distinctions about how the points got on the board are folks with agendas. Doubt the Titans give a rats ass that The Ravens we’re dropping passes left and right that killed drives and went a long way to helping them win their game.
Just go ahead and say u wanted the Texans to lose in hopes that it may spur changes to the coaching staff...you’ll be better for it.
Nope.
OB isn't going to get fired.
Unless Cal has some cajoles.
Nope. I just knew the Texans were going to lose in the playoffs, sooner or later.
I saw the Bills game as somewhat evenly matched.

And you, yourself, admitted that the better team won today.

Why should I worry?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Nope.
OB isn't going to get fired.
Unless Cal has some cajoles.
Nope. I just knew the Texans were going to lose in the playoffs, sooner or later.
I saw the Bills game as somewhat evenly matched.

And you, yourself, admitted that the better team won today.

Why should I worry?
well the odds were certainly against them that they would lose, but I saidon this forum months ago that I’d hoped that they could make at least an AFCCG appearance, but after a bad loss that they had at 1 point this season...(wanna say it was that Ravens game) I could see that it was unlikely. So I changed my prediction to exactly where they wound up.

still though, any given Sunday they were as capable of beating anyone and I did hold out hope..but no way was I super invested like some on here. Learned that lesson years ago when it comes to HOUSTON sports. Today they had a pretty good shot and had put themselves in pretty good position, they just ran into a buzz saw.

I’m not tripping too much about it. Contrary to some in here’s belief, There’s always next year.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
well the odds were certainly against them that they would lose, but I saidon this forum months ago that I’d hoped that they could make at least an AFCCG appearance, but after a bad loss that they had at 1 point this season...(wanna say it was that Ravens game) I could see that it was unlikely. So I changed my prediction to exactly where they wound up.

still though, any given Sunday they were as capable of beating anyone and I did hold out hope..but no way was I super invested like some on here. Learned that lesson years ago when it comes to HOUSTON sports. Today they had a pretty good shot and had put themselves in pretty good position, they just ran into a buzz saw.

I’m not tripping too much about it. Contrary to some in here’s belief, There’s always next year.
Welcome to Kill Bill Vol. 7 :fireball:

texanhead08

All Pro
Last week at halftime he told the sideline reporter on the radio that we needed to run the ball more and he comes out this week and does the exact same **** all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.