Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Texan_Bill migrated to the Texanstalk board, and he was hell lots of fun to talk to on and off the forum.

There was a lot of happy-go-lucky banter on TT than the main board back then; it was a real community.
Yep, Aggie loving ran deep around these parts.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I’m good with tossing them all out and starting fresh. I have zero confidence in this staff. Produce or be gone...except in Houston.
No apparently its a Texas thing, or have you missed how Garrett has been coach for 10 years and has like 2 playoff wins.

Reactions: JB

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Yes, but BOB's trying to make WatJICson feel most comfortable and WatJICson is most comfortable out of the shotgun.
What does a capable screen pass have to do with shotgun? Are you telling me you cant run a good rb, middle screen because you're in shotgun. BOB has been below avg in playcalling since the jump. The common theme is game plan specific. Ok, cool, but where are your staple plays? What do your team do well? What have they ever done well under BOB. Look at the dismantling of the line when he 1st arrived. Look at the carousel at qb before Watson. Look at the misuse of Duke Johnson. All traits point to him. Watch the all 22 and all those over routes. Long developing over routes. How come all of the weapons cant be utilized in one game plan?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What does a capable screen pass have to do with shotgun? Are you telling me you cant run a good rb, middle screen because you're in shotgun. BOB has been below avg in playcalling since the jump. The common theme is game plan specific. Ok, cool, but where are your staple plays? What do your team do well? What have they ever done well under BOB. Look at the dismantling of the line when he 1st arrived. Look at the carousel at qb before Watson. Look at the misuse of Duke Johnson. All traits point to him. Watch the all 22 and all those over routes. Long developing over routes. How come all of the weapons cant be utilized in one game plan?
Running screens other than WR screens from the shotgun = LOL.

They had a great game using this gameplan last week. What changed? I think we know what changed, it's just the JIC crowd is living in denial.

The staple plays are the run up the middle/RPO's and getting the ball to Hopkins anyway they can, with a couple of deep shots to WFV/Stills each game.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
go to youtube and look up "shotgun middle screens" and you will get a plethora of different coaches showing how to do it. Dont get fooled. Hell, most of us can remember the run and shoot, remember Lorenzo White and GAry Brown busting out huge gains on middle screens? This team only knows one screen .. the bubble screen or slip screen to the WR (they actually think they have the OL needed to run this - its cute). Never seen a flare screen, never seen creative RPO induced TE screens coming off the run action. Nothing.

Its more frustrating when you get these ultra aggressive defenses .. this team should feast on hot routes and flares. They did last week. I guess Deshaun just didnt feel like throwing those routes this week. :kitten:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Texan_Bill migrated to the Texanstalk board, and he was hell lots of fun to talk to on and off the forum.

There was a lot of happy-go-lucky banter on TT than the main board back then; it was a real community.

I met a lot of those guys from the way back machine …. Still hang out with Bill on occasion. Supposed to do something this weekend , I'm sure it will entail copious amounts of distilled spirits and boobs.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I met a lot of those guys from the way back machine …. Still hang out with Bill on occasion. Supposed to do something this weekend , I'm sure it will entail copious amounts of distilled spirits and boobs.
I'm sure of that, LOL.
Tell him I say Hi.

Uncle Rico

Yeah, it's not hard to search and see the result: Fire Kubiak
Know whats crazy? I got a case of nostalgia and followed the only thread I was part of in my early days on the topic (all encompassing fire Kubiak thread) and you know what I noticed?? CIVILITY!!! dudes back then used to be able to verbalize how they felt without pulling out their dick on the keyboard.

this place now is almost unrecognizable. anyone who contributes has to be ready to go 12 rounds with thesis and citation proofs. intentional derailment of threads. insecurity issues. toxic masculinity. I ran into A BUNCH of posts from contributors that I used to like to exchange with, and would look up their "last active" dates and it would be 2 or 3 years ago!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Another week of OB maybe finally turning the corner...NOT

Suckers!!!
Ok... so I can't count.

To continue the pattern, we'll win the next two games. Lose the home finale, win the Wildcard & Division games, then lose the AFCCG.

Fk that corner.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Well the type of poop I will not argue but it was poop. You know the old saying "Poop by any other name still stinks the same". Before the game I was hoping to see players rotated out also because our backups needed some snaps in a winning blowout I thought it would be. Shame on me.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

banned1976

sleeper mode
Ok... so I can't count.

To continue the pattern, we'll win the next two games. Lose the home finale, win the Wildcard & Division games, then lose the AFCCG.

Fk that corner.
That WWL “trend” is having way to much made of it. The Texans are a model of inconsistency and that’s it. And I think a lot of it is because of a lack of leadership and accountability. Doing the stupid ass air guitar down 31-3 and 38-3 shows just how undisciplined this team has appeared at times and how badly they need leadership on the field. My goodness Mercilus, you haven’t done a damn thing since week 5 and Martin just got her. Sometimes someone needs to step up and get on these knuckleheads.

I also think them playing dress-up before games is Idiotic and the entire NFL sees them as laughing stocks. At least win something before you start prancing around like a bunch of prom queens. Better yet, never do that again.

Uncle Rico

I'm trying. Just gotta coach it better. It starts with me. It's hard to win a game in the NFL.

Seriously though, I'm trying to let go of the hate. He ain't making it easy.
is that the long way of saying “they’re battling”? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: ROO

Texansballer74

The Marine
Oh my freaking goodness. This back and forth bullcrap is starting to get ridiculous.

Why does Watson have to be labeled Jesus With Cleats.

Why isn't Watson getting the same freaking leeway as Bill Obrien. Who might I add has been here 6 years to Watson's 3.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Oh my freaking goodness. This back and forth bullcrap is starting to get ridiculous.

Why isn't Watson getting the same freaking leeway as Bill Obrien. Who might I add has been here 6 years to Watson's 3.
Agree 100%. It adds no value to the discussion in this forum. I'm going to use the little used ignore feature. I have no interest in reading the same damn opinion worded slightly differently in multiple posts in multiple threads.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Most of us often got together for games at the stadium grounds or at a sports bar for away games. We came to know each other. We were truly a close community. It is much easier to keep things light when you are not a faceless avatar on a MB. The MB members that essentially spit fire while typing anonymously typically won't do so when they know that others know who they are and that they will be having to address their radical/disrespectful words in person. When things didn't go well with the team/players/coaches back then, there were still a semblance of civility. Unfortunately, to everyone's loss, too often now some members forget that they are not in the NSZ.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Don’t let it bother you although it’s getting to the point where his posts seem it’s all Watson’s fault like it was with RS.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Most of us often got together for games at the stadium grounds or at a sports bar for away games. We came to know each other. We were truly a close community. It is much easier to keep things light when you are not a faceless avatar on a MB. The MB members that essentially spit fire while typing anonymously typically won't do so when they know that others know who they are and that they will be having to address their radical/disrespectful words in person. When things didn't go well with the team/players/coaches back then, there were still a semblance of civility. Unfortunately, to everyone's loss, too often now some members forget that they are not in the NSZ.
Honestly there are only about 20-30 of what I would call the core group and most of that you can tell because they still post in the off season. I don’t go to games, wife hates football, all real life friends are other team fans and my son is only 7 months old so I can’t justify the price just for me, but getting together at a bar or wing place would be cool.

Think it also helps that you learn more when a person is joking because in your head you can better picture and hear the tone they most likely had when they typed something. It’s hard to think someone is a raging, screaming maniac when you’ve met them and seen they are very laid back and happy go lucky.

Doesn’t TT sell shirts where you can get your User name printed so people can identify easier at live events?

markn

All Pro
Interesting way of expressing the kind of frustration I feel...

I think we talk about teams that a trapped with QBs that are not good enough but still good enough to win with. QB purgatory. The Texans are in coaching purgatory. Deshaun Watson is going to ensure they win enough to keep Bill O’Brien, but O’Brien is still a bad coach — or at least not a good enough coach to win a Super Bowl.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Doc, I'm going to do my part in trying to return to civility by stopping the JIC references. I just wish the offensive Avatar would be removed. But I guess that's too much to ask.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's not about DW4, it's about BOB's mehness.
He was meh with much worse QB's

Why haven't things changed with DW4 if he's what the guys Avatar says he is?

Could it be DW4 is just too inconsistent and hasn't really improved? This is why I wouldn't mind seeing another HC so some would see what Watson's ceiling truly is.

markn

All Pro
He was meh with much worse QB's

Why haven't things changed with DW4 if he's what the guys Avatar says he is?

Could it be DW4 is just too inconsistent and hasn't really improved? This is why I wouldn't mind seeing another HC so some would see what Watson's ceiling truly is.
Sorry, cannot parse this, it's unintelligible to me... I have no idea what you mean by the guys Avatar

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
9 plays, 39 yards - punt
7 plays, 46 yards - fumble
6 plays, 16 yards - punt
8 plays, 44 yards - FG
4 plays, 9 yards - TO on downs ON YOUR OWN 34!!

The Jets are the worst team in the NFL at 4.6 yards per play. Those 1st half possessions netted 4.5 yards per play. If that isn't horseshit, I don't know what is.

That's the long way of saying I'm trying not to let hate cloud my judgment.
Nothing clouding my judgement. My judgement is based on 6 years of results. Seeing that pretty clearly.

That WWL “trend” is having way to much made of it. The Texans are a model of inconsistency and that’s it. And I think a lot of it is because of a lack of leadership and accountability. Doing the stupid ass air guitar down 31-3 and 38-3 shows just how undisciplined this team has appeared at times and how badly they need leadership on the field. My goodness Mercilus, you haven’t done a damn thing since week 5 and Martin just got her. Sometimes someone needs to step up and get on these knuckleheads.
Agreed. I mention the WWL trend tongue in cheek, but it did play out. But you're right that it's a model of inconsistency. Whether it's the oddity of a perfect 2,1,2,1 deal or not, the point is the same. Inconsistency!

The talent is good enough to win games, but I firmly believe the coaching is what's holding them back. Not putting these players in positions to succeed. Example, the 4th down on their own 34 was stupid enough, but on both 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1, instead of taking advantage of the Broncos 21st ranked rush defense by running the ball with a back you finally have who can actually pick up tough short yardage, and who was averaging 6.1 yards per carry to that point in the game, you try to challenge their strength (pass D, top 6) with not 1, but 2 pass plays.

Of course the decision to go for it on your own 34 ended up putting your players at even more disadvantage when you basically give away points there.

I get that OB isn't the one blocking and throwing passes and tackling, etc, but in a game (NFL in general) where the difference in most games comes down to a handful of plays, better coaching decisions do matter. Giving away a free 7 points right before the half matters. I mean, probably more so if you weren't down a 1,000 points by then, but still.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
9 plays, 39 yards - punt
7 plays, 46 yards - fumble
6 plays, 16 yards - punt
8 plays, 44 yards - FG
4 plays, 9 yards - TO on downs ON YOUR OWN 34!!

The Jets are the worst team in the NFL at 4.6 yards per play. Those 1st half possessions netted 4.5 yards per play. If that isn't horseshit, I don't know what is.

Nothing clouding my judgement. My judgement is based on 6 years of results. Seeing that pretty clearly.

Agreed. I mention the WWL trend tongue in cheek, but it did play out. But you're right that it's a model of inconsistency. Whether it's the oddity of a perfect 2,1,2,1 deal or not, the point is the same. Inconsistency!

The talent is good enough to win games, but I firmly believe the coaching is what's holding them back. Not putting these players in positions to succeed. Example, the 4th down on their own 34 was stupid enough, but on both 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1, instead of taking advantage of the Broncos 21st ranked rush defense by running the ball with a back you finally have who can actually pick up tough short yardage, and who was averaging 6.1 yards per carry to that point in the game, you try to challenge their strength (pass D, top 6) with not 1, but 2 pass plays.

Of course the decision to go for it on your own 34 ended up putting your players at even more disadvantage when you basically give away points there.

I get that OB isn't the one blocking and throwing passes and tackling, etc, but in a game (NFL in general) where the difference in most games comes down to a handful of plays, better coaching decisions do matter. Giving away a free 7 points right before the half matters. I mean, probably more so if you weren't down a 1,000 points by then, but still.
Actually if you want to get technical the Texans have been the most consistent team in the entire NFL. They have literally followed the LWW pattern since the first game of the season.

All consistency is is behaving in the same pattern so yeah we may not like it but they have actually been the very model of consistency. The real question is why they are this model and more important how to get them out of it.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Actually if you want to get technical the Texans have been the most consistent team in the entire NFL. They have literally followed the LWW pattern since the first game of the season.

All consistency is is behaving in the same pattern so yeah we may not like it but they have actually been the very model of consistency. The real question is why they are this model and more important how to get them out of it.
Yeah, what’s the phrase being thrown around here? Consistently inconsistent?

Reactions: ROO

banned1976

sleeper mode
Yeah, what’s the phrase being thrown around here? Consistently inconsistent?
Kind of like chaos by design. Reminds me of when I worked for an aircraft manufacturer and the wing department ran like a Chinese fire drill. It worked but it looked (and sounded) ugly and we were going broke from all the mistakes and rework coming out of those stations.

That was when I started there in 2000. After 9/11 we brought in new leadership and wouldn’t you know it, the wing assembly not only ran like a well oiled machine but the yield increased too.

There’s a Texans related analogy in that story somewhere.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Kind of like chaos by design. Reminds me of when I worked for an aircraft manufacturer and the wing department ran like a Chinese fire drill. It worked but it looked (and sounded) ugly and we were going broke from all the mistakes and rework coming out of those stations.

That was when I started there in 2000. After 9/11 we brought in new leadership and wouldn’t you know it, the wing assembly not only ran like a well oiled machine but the yield increased too.

There’s a Texans related analogy in that story somewhere.
So, the Texans need to bring in new leadership?

:kitten:

banned1976

sleeper mode
So, the Texans need to bring in new leadership?

:kitten:
I will add, the first thing Cirrus Aircraft did, before they did anything else was they hired a management consulting firm (Crescent) to conduct due diligence and help us discover our shortcomings. New leadership at the top was only part of the problem. Ironically, another big problem was we were trying too hard to pinch pennies. They told us “you’re too poor to be cheap”.

By 2005, we were selling more airplanes than Cessna. Our profits were soaring.

gafftop

All Pro
Should have let BOB ride off into sunset after he beat the Patriots his life goal accomplished.
It is now all over for him and his coaching ambitions as seen in how prepared the team was for the lowly Broncos.
Don't even try to tell him there is something more because for him there is not.
BOB is BOB and we are depending on the McNair's to want more.
I think we as fans are screwed.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The thing that’s starting to upset me, as 610 has been pointing out for two days Bill O’Brien has been throwing the defense under the bus while talking about how the offense was able to move the ball in the second half. “I guess we had to score 40 points but we didn’t” and then he goes on to explain how the Texans offense is top 10 this season. Does this sound anything like a HC taking responsibility?

His press conferences since the Broncos whipped his team like they owed them money is a prime example of why O’Brien gets roasted on these boards. Seriously, go find those pressers and listen to them.

I jumped off the O’Brien bandwagon last year after he said “not my job”. He isn’t giving me any good reason to jump back on. And I want to because he was my first choice but right now, I’m not feeling it anymore.

PapaL

Loose Screw
If you say you saw a couple good things on offense after watching the tape, you'd think the HC would be able to speak to those. Instead ours doubles down when asked "I don't know, things". SMFH

PapaL

Loose Screw

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I find it amusing that DW4 on a prayer candle is offensive but not once was anyone offended when JJ Watt was on the same candle.
I used that one for a while before being reminded that another poster used it as well. Yet no one has even been offended by it.

Hmmm...seems like a reach.
First, not sure if you meant to imply I was offended, I'm not I was just replying to the question. However my wife's family are all Catholic and they would be very offended. Now most of them I don't like so again I don't care but I can see where someone would be offended.

Second I also never saw the JJ Watt one and I'm not sure why you linked to a three year old thread but I'm assuming because you thought it would show that avatar? Even so just because no one said they were offended by something before doesn't make something ok now. There have been a lot of things in history that use to not offend people that are unacceptable now, times change and what is acceptable change. Plus, assuming that was the point of the link, we have added a lot of new members in the last three years.

My whole thing is I don't find it offensive per say but I do find it very childish and shows some ones immaturity. I'm not defending Steel's "Jesus in cleats" because I also felt that was childish and immature. It was kind of like going to a zoo, one monkey throws its crap at another so the other monkey craps and then throws it back, at the end of the day all you have is two crappy monkeys.

I'm waiting for someone to go "he started it".

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I don't even listen to his pressers anymore.
I don’t listen intentionally, but they get played on the radio ad nauseam, so I kinda have to unless I shut out the outside sports world. But no, I don’t go out my my way to listen to his pressers for quite awhile now.

If there’s something stupid, controversial or whatever, like the “it’s not my job” comments, it’ll get around to me one way or another.

PapaL

Loose Screw
First, not sure if you meant to imply I was offended, I'm not I was just replying to the question. However my wife's family are all Catholic and they would be very offended. Now most of them I don't like so again I don't care but I can see where someone would be offended.

Second I also never saw the JJ Watt one and I'm not sure why you linked to a three year old thread but I'm assuming because you thought it would show that avatar? Even so just because no one said they were offended by something before doesn't make something ok now. There have been a lot of things in history that use to not offend people that are unacceptable now, times change and what is acceptable change. Plus, assuming that was the point of the link, we have added a lot of new members in the last three years.

My whole thing is I don't find it offensive per say but I do find it very childish and shows some ones immaturity. I'm not defending Steel's "Jesus in cleats" because I also felt that was childish and immature. It was kind of like going to a zoo, one monkey throws its crap at another so the other monkey craps and then throws it back, at the end of the day all you have is two crappy monkeys.

I'm waiting for someone to go "he started it".
Not linked to you; just your reply. Relax. No one is targeting you, I hadn’t seen the offended stuff previously.

I too am Catholic. One of the biggest group of hypocrites around. One can buy those candles with all kinds of pics on them. The argument is ridiculous at best.

As for the link, doesn’t take much to figure out who has the avatar and how to look for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.