Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
At least that thug Jeff Fisher built a reputation before skating by for a decade +

What exactly did Bill O'Brien due to deserve such undue adulation and sycophantic, cult-like praise? What exactly has Bill O'Brien done to continue to receive it in some sects?

Bill O'Brien is nothing but the hybrid lovechild of Barack Obama and Donald Trump. He's an incompetent loser who did literally nothing and has done nothing to have the masses hoping that he still has the capacity to be different than those that preceded him. Never have I seen a sports figure receive so much for so little. Incomprehensible. He is the biggest scam ever perpetrated on professional football.

Six years in. SIX. YEARS.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
well, this seems relevant again.
Yeah …. and that sux.

It never stopped being relevant imo. I don't care what went down during the regular season for B'OB if this team has another 1 and out or loses in the divisional round, screw any regular season record. It's meaningless in my world after SIX seasons of this
This team will be playing for their playoff lives on Thursday against the Dolts.

Lose that game , you not only lose the division but you fall behind at least one team for the second wildcard spot and potentially fall behind 4 teams for that wildcard spot.

Forget about getting embarrassed in the playoffs or losing in the divisional round - They may not even make the playoffs.

The other three losses were respectable, this one was over by halftime.
This is just very poor coaching and play calling. Sorry, but I also have to include Romeo as well.
As much as I cant stand OB , I cant blame this game on him and I'm not gonna blame it on the refs getting one play wrong - they lose by 34. Not one score.

OB had the right idea but he cant make up for a QB that gives the ball away , a defense that misses tackles or players making dumb mistakes.

This L is on the players Not OB.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
What exactly did Bill O'Brien due to deserve such undue adulation and sycophantic, cult-like praise? What exactly has Bill O'Brien done to continue to receive it in some sects?
Does O’Brien really receive ‘cult-like praise...in some sects’?
I see one poster on here who likes to have a take and see it out.
At Wembley I didn’t hear one person with a good word to say about OB, i don’t see anyone else defending the guy blindly?
Some will point out that he’s been aggressive in FA, some will say that OB the GM is better than OB the HC or OC.
Anyway, this place will always have the knee jerk reaction after a loss like this.
The pragmatic view hasn’t really changed this season, OB is Marvin Lewis and will always lose in the playoffs. It’s a shame that the prime of Watson’s career will likely by dictated by his HC’s ceiling, but there will always be hope that next year will be better, and that is why we don’t move on. They are in on OB for likely this year and next at least, possibly even further into the future if his pal Caserio gets here and manages to blame all the woes on Rick Smith/Gaine and we start another 3 year rebuild after this years draft.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I had my Thursday night tickets for sale by halftime. We are not going anywhere with OB. I have said it before, middling coach. Will beat the bad teams and get whooped bu the well coached ones.

That was the game plan with a bye week inserted. I do think the Ravens are best in the NFL right now, but the gap is huge. 41 points in the last 3 quarters!

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yeah …. and that sux.

This team will be playing for their playoff lives on Thursday against the Dolts.

Lose that game , you not only lose the division but you fall behind at least one team for the second wildcard spot and potentially fall behind 4 teams for that wildcard spot.

Forget about getting embarrassed in the playoffs or losing in the divisional round - They may not even make the playoffs.

As much as I cant stand OB , I cant blame this game on him and I'm not gonna blame it on the refs getting one play wrong - they lose by 34. Not one score.

OB had the right idea but he cant make up for a QB that gives the ball away , a defense that misses tackles or players making dumb mistakes.

This L is on the players Not OB.
That can't apply in year 6.
What's the job of a HC?
To find people to teach the players the proper tackling techniques and angles.
To find people to teach the players minimizing dumb mistakes, to stress ball security and so on.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I had my Thursday night tickets for sale by halftime. We are not going anywhere with OB. I have said it before, middling coach. Will beat the bad teams and get whooped bu the well coached ones.

That was the game plan with a bye week inserted. I do think the Ravens are best in the NFL right now, but the gap is huge. 41 points in the last 3 quarters!
Jackson and co. had just whupped the Pats 37-20 two weeks before. So I had no illusions that O'Brien could beat the Ravens. I just thought Watson would show up better than he did. But then the Ravens' D is used to chasing Lamar around in practice so corralling Watson wasn't a problem.
Like you, I don't see anyone keeping them from the SB this year.
....maybe if Belichick gets another shot at him...

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Jackson and co. had just whupped the Pats 37-20 two weeks before. So I had no illusions that O'Brien could beat the Ravens. I just thought Watson would show up better than he did. But then the Ravens' D is used to chasing Lamar around in practice so corralling Watson wasn't a problem.
Like you, I don't see anyone keeping them from the SB this year.
....maybe if Belichick gets another shot at him...
Brady doesn't look like Brady anymore either. It could have been the Eagles' defense, but he just isn't playing the same as usual.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Does O’Brien really receive ‘cult-like praise...in some sects’?
I see one poster on here who likes to have a take and see it out.
At Wembley I didn’t hear one person with a good word to say about OB, i don’t see anyone else defending the guy blindly?
Some will point out that he’s been aggressive in FA, some will say that OB the GM is better than OB the HC or OC.
Anyway, this place will always have the knee jerk reaction after a loss like this.
The pragmatic view hasn’t really changed this season, OB is Marvin Lewis and will always lose in the playoffs. It’s a shame that the prime of Watson’s career will likely by dictated by his HC’s ceiling, but there will always be hope that next year will be better, and that is why we don’t move on. They are in on OB for likely this year and next at least, possibly even further into the future if his pal Caserio gets here and manages to blame all the woes on Rick Smith/Gaine and we start another 3 year rebuild after this years draft.
I don’t think there is a cult like following for OB. I don’t think there is even one person.

There are people who will talk about how Watson can make mistakes and needs to improve in his flaws of holding the ball too long, not finding his receiver, or going for the big play too much. They then get lumped into this fantasy OB cult.

It’s being the victim of being impartial.

And those that do talk about Watson’s flaws wouldn’t miss OB I bet. It’s not Watson vs OB as some make it out to be.

However, no-one sees OB helping Watson improve. This pretty much sums it up: Everyone will agree Watson is better than Lamar, but the coaching is the difference maker. It’s clear. And after yesterday, it’s proof Watson doesn’t have enough magic to overcome OB.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
If the Steelers let go of Tomlin, I wouldn't mind bringing him in. Or maybe go after John Harbaugh. He went to the SB with Colin Kaepernick for crying out loud.
Tomlin has kept that team afloat amidst a ton of adversity this year, if I were the owner regardless of all the chatter prior to the season, I'd be trying to lock him up on another contract (only extended him 1 year on a "prove it" deal I guess?). The man is a phenomenal head coach, he trusts his coordinators and is usually the better coach on the field during games.

IF (HUGE IF) he were to find himself looking for work, he would get to pick and choose his landing spot, because he would be the hottest coach on the market. (with all that said, his choice for offensive coordinator to work with Deshaun would have me intrigued, but the guy is making Mason Rudolph look serviceable so there is that)

Love the thought, wish it were more realistic.

Harbaugh is about to embark on another championship run, and looks like his team is going to be championship relevant for the next decade. Again, if here were out there it would be a no doubter, but he's not going anywhere, anytime soon.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What's the job of a HC?
To find people to teach the players minimizing dumb mistakes, to stress ball security and so on.
This is only yr 2 minus RS.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don’t think there is a cult like following for OB. I don’t think there is even one person.

There are people who will talk about how Watson can make mistakes and needs to improve in his flaws of holding the ball too long, not finding his receiver, or going for the big play too much. They then get lumped into this fantasy OB cult.

It’s being the victim of being impartial.

And those that do talk about Watson’s flaws wouldn’t miss OB I bet. It’s not Watson vs OB as some make it out to be.

However, no-one sees OB helping Watson improve. This pretty much sums it up: Everyone will agree Watson is better than Lamar, but the coaching is the difference maker. It’s clear. And after yesterday, it’s proof Watson doesn’t have enough magic to overcome OB.

I don't agree Watson is better than LJ and yes LJ has better coaching. But LJ is flat out the better/ more talented QB.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I don't agree Watson is better than LJ and yes LJ has better coaching. But LJ is flat out the better/ more talented QB.

Lamar has accuracy issues worst than Watson. But he's more better. Bwhahaha

Not only that his coach changed up his offense to fit Lamar's strengths. A strength you continue to parade Watson getting hurt doing.

You don't think that applies to Jackson?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
What's the job of a HC?

I'm all for replacing OB …. Some time last year.

But he wasn't responsible for that 34 point beatdown.

Coaching might +/- 3 , maybe 7 points ….. not 34.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Lamar has accuracy issues worst than Watson. But he's more better. Bwhahaha

Not only that his coach changed up his offense to fit Lamar's strengths. A strength you continue to parade Watson getting hurt doing.

You don't think that applies to Jackson?
I used to agree with you, but as of right now LJ is more accurate than Watson.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I’m not thrilled with how Watson has played this year. LJ has been better than Watson this year. For the long term though I’ll keep Watson over Jackson every day of the week.

Wait, how has this thread become about Watson!?

Back to the topic, its obvious the Texans scripted plays are terrible. If it were anyone else calling those plays the board would unanimously agree the OC needs to be removed. And failing in the second half of the season against good teams should give us no reason to hope for anything more than a quick exit in the playoffs. Which is why I don’t get excited over a week 9 win over a sub-par team playing with a backup QB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You tell me what RS left O'Brien with, and we go from there.
I'll entertain you.
(Other TT members may want to know that we're friends of sort, even though we've never met one on one; we had conversed a few times over the phone.)
A terrible OL for one.

ST's that sucked for another

atrocious safety play

No CB depth

No TE's worth a crap

Alfred Blue was the RB depth LMAO

Etc....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I’m not thrilled with how Watson has played this year. LJ has been better than Watson this year. For the long term though I’ll keep Watson over Jackson every day of the week.

Wait, how has this thread become about Watson!?

Back to the topic, its obvious the Texans scripted plays are terrible. If it were anyone else calling those plays the board would unanimously agree the OC needs to be removed. And failing in the second half of the season against good teams should give us no reason to hope for anything more than a quick exit in the playoffs. Which is why I don’t get excited over a week 9 win over a sub-par team playing with a backup QB.
They were moving the ball with their scripted plays until the dumba** fumble. They usually make good halftime adjustments and play well in the 2nd half.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Even after that terrible game he’s completing 69.5% of his passes to 66.3% for Lamar. So Watson is still a more accurate QB. He just had a bad game that was schemed poorly by OB. Once again the TEAM was not prepared. Surely you’re not blaming Watson for 6 years of consistently underwhelming as a team?
sure seems he does, not sure why? Any other QB who rolled a leg like that and took a 340lb’er elbow to the face mask would leave the game period. Watson’s toughness counts for more than some accuracy numbers it means he’s going to bounce back if the damn line can ever learn how to protect.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Even after that terrible game he’s completing 69.5% of his passes to 66.3% for Lamar. So Watson is still a more accurate QB. He just had a bad game that was schemed poorly by OB. Once again the TEAM was not prepared. Surely you’re not blaming Watson for 6 years of consistently underwhelming as a team?
When you take in LJ's running ability and he's close in accuracy, Give me LJ.

I blame Watson for his taking sacks by holding the ball too long and turning the ball over. He was confused Sunday.

2 yrs without RS and I've said from the time RS left it would take 3 yrs to overcome RS ineptness. It might be longer if Watson doesn't improve against top tier defenses. This is the yr Watson needs to get experience. Nothing I've seen this yr (Both good and bad) has made me change my mind.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
We will see,

As of right now it what's not true about my opinion?

Right now it's the SOS with Bill O’Brein. Play a top ranked defense like he will see in the playoffs and he sucks a**.
FIFY.

This has been OBs story the whole time he has been here.

Correlation is causation in this case.

OB can’t beat a top HC or team. Gets out-coached time and time again. Team never shows up when it matters.

He is dragging Watson down the same path.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
When you take in LJ's running ability and he's close in accuracy, Give me LJ.

I blame Watson for his taking sacks by holding the ball too long and turning the ball over. He was confused Sunday.

2 yrs without RS and I've said from the time RS left it would take 3 yrs to overcome RS ineptness. It might be longer if Watson doesn't improve against top tier defenses. This is the yr Watson needs to get experience. Nothing I've seen this yr (Both good and bad) has made me change my mind.
Considering you didn’t like Watson from the start, I’m not surprised.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
According to Radio 610 here are the Texans' stats for opening drives this year.

10 Opening Drives

57 PLAYS, 123 YARDS TOTAL, 2.16 YARDS PER PLAY

Results
6 PUNTS, 3 TURNOVERS, 3 POINTS
The Texans scored a total of 23 points in the first quarter (2.3 ave).
"Good" for Next to Last in the NFL.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
A terrible OL for one.

ST's that sucked for another

atrocious safety play

No CB depth

No TE's worth a crap

Alfred Blue was the RB depth LMAO

Etc....
Show me an Olineman that OB was able to develop.
Look at how Kubiak built his line.
Richard Smith knows squat about picking a lineman.
It had to be O'Brien all along.
His mantra is big and strong and fast.
Remember?
Same thing goes for ST and RB (and everything else for that matter).

What you need to look at is the good-great players that O'Brien had.
They were good enough to win the division several time, but flopped badly in the playoffs.
That's coaching.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Remember?

They were good enough to win the division several time, but flopped badly in the playoffs.
That's coaching.
Why do we even bother responding to this guy?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Whats crazy is that if you look at Deshaun Watson stats vs BLITZ .. they are pretty dang good. Its not like he struggles with the concept of picking it up and getting the ball where it needs to go. What - did he all of a sudden forget what to do? LOL

If the defense knows where you want to go in certain packages, and they've seen that if they rush at you like this, you tend to do that then the superior job of preparing and scheming was achieved by BAL and the TExans played right into their hands. Check mate Harbaugh.

O'Brien is out there playing checkers, being reactive and not doing ANYTHING creative and out of the box (other than stupid trick plays that lead to turnovers) that makes you think he's consistently working on his craft, tinkering, drawing up plays putting DEshaun in different situations to see how he responds, to see how the defense responds. NONE OF THAT. You're either going to get the failed "EP" or a bad attempt at the Clemson Spread that Watson just goes backyard football on everyone and wins IN SPITE of the approach.

Deshaun deserves a true offensive coach who can help him reach his true potential and will put him in situations to be successful. O'Brien doesnt do that, and I challenge any Pro OBrien supporter to provide me with instances where he learns and builds on the offensive portfolio.

He will have a great offensive week, have some tweaks that worked great, and then you dont see them again! LOL (yeah sure, sure he's "saving it for later").

Its a bad marriage O'Brien and Watson. Let O'Brien go find him that 6'7 statue QB he so desires somewhere else and start over fresh with a much better GM who will supply him with better players since he cant seem to find what he needs here - and the Texans can do the same. Its time.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Remember?

That's coaching.
Howard and Scharping are developing fine. Although I would fire Devlin after the season and hire Marrone if he gets fired in Jacksonville.

BOB was left an old team with holes all over it. Not the least of which was the QB position, which was left that way because of RS failure to address the position for over a decade.

Look, I would have no problem if Cal fired BOB today, but I don't think that's going to make a difference with Watson. He is who he is, a QB that will have great games but isn't consistent enough to win a SB and struggles badly against top tier defenses. He's like Moon that way. What worries me more than anything is that Watson had a case of Happy feet Sunday and I've never seen a QB overcome a case of Happy feet. Hopefully this is a case of just having a bad game and doesn't become a trend.

I do expect Watson to bounce back Thursday though. I thought he would play well last Sunday though, so what do I know. I do know he's very inconsistent with his decision making/ reads/ accuracy etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.