Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I keep on hearing all the criticism directed towards O'Brien re. his challenges. So I tried to do a search on any stats that reflected challenges by NFL coaches. I found this interesting post on Reddit that addresses this subject:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Posted by
Patriots
9 months ago
Current NFL Head Coach Challenge Statistics

I thought I'd have a wild Friday evening so I decided to take a look into current NFL Head Coach Challenge Statistics. I only included info for seasons in which challenges were allowed. This affects Belichick, Carroll, & Gruden, hence Andy Reid shows more seasons coached. I learned a few surprising things.

Harbough challenges the most, Marrone wins the most challenges, Belichick has a surprisingly low Challenge Win % (especially in contrast to his Game Win %), and River Boat Ron literally is a coin flip away from being right on every challenge.

Also, Matt Nagy and Mike Vrabel have both yet to win a challenge in the NFL apparently. They both had winning first seasons which leads me to believe that reading too much into Challenge Win % might not be a good idea. Still, something to look out for heading into 2019.
Anyway, the table:

View attachment 4834

View attachment 4838
View attachment 4837
Looks like he's in the middle of the pack.

Kinda like his coaching record.

Hopefully as the talent improves around him he can continue to improve in both areas.

Like I've said before, I like the direction the franchise is headed in under BOB/Easterby and hopefully Caserio is added this offseason. The contrast in how business used to be done vs how it's being done now is stark and is only going to get better.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I don’t even have to look at the members name to know who made the comments in this thread.

I’ve changed my position on O’Brien once. And it had nothing to do with his attitude and in all honesty I still like O’Brien the man, what I know of him.

I may jump back on the O’Brien (the HC) bandwagon, but it will take a lot. So far, I see a little better from the play calling, but will it last? If this new offensive philosophy of O’Brien’s hits a speed bump, I fear he’ll resort back to his old ways.

If they beat up on a depleted team in a wildcard game, that’s not good enough for me. They need to prove they belong in the postseason, O’Brien needs to prove he belongs.

Lastly, these lapses in discipline need to be coached out of the team. No more not reporting as eligible, or a punter dancing around in the back of the end zone. It’s situational football that should have been ironed out during practices.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don’t even have to look at the members name to know who made the comments in this thread.

I’ve changed my position on O’Brien once. And it had nothing to do with his attitude and in all honesty I still like O’Brien the man, what I know of him.

I may jump back on the O’Brien (the HC) bandwagon, but it will take a lot. So far, I see a little better from the play calling, but will it last? If this new offensive philosophy of O’Brien’s hits a speed bump, I fear he’ll resort back to his old ways.

If they beat up on a depleted team in a wildcard game, that’s not good enough for me. They need to prove they belong in the postseason, O’Brien needs to prove he belongs.

Lastly, these lapses in discipline need to be coached out of the team. No more not reporting as eligible, or a punter dancing around in the back of the end zone. It’s situational football that should have been ironed out during practices.
Fair post and I totally agree.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The challenge process is not as cut and dry as fans believe. It needs to be noted that every team has a coach in the booth that speccifically assists the HC on the field in determining challenge situations. The HC many times does not have a clear view from the sideline field level of the play in question and relies heavily on his booth coach for his final decision to throw or not to throw the red flag. He will also sometimes look to the first-hand input of the player(s) involved in the play for his decision.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The challenge process is not as cut and dry as fans believe. It needs to be noted that every team has a coach in the booth that speccifically assists the HC on the field in determining challenge situations. The HC many times does not have a clear view from the sideline field level of the play in question and relies heavily on his booth coach for his final decision to throw or not to throw the red flag. He will also sometimes look to the first-hand input of the player(s) involved in the play for his decision.
Who is the Texans guy in the booth?

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Lets forget about the piss poor offensive rankings. Lets forget about the horrific game management mistakes. Lets ignore the worst challenge usage in the league. This is what Im looking at moving forward.

.250 Playoff win % (1-3) 12.5 ppg

If he cant get better results in the postseason then you are just wasting time.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Lets forget about the piss poor offensive rankings. Lets forget about the horrific game management mistakes. Lets ignore the worst challenge usage in the league. This is what Im looking at moving forward.

.250 Playoff win % (1-3) 12.5 ppg

If he cant get better results in the postseason then you are just wasting time.
CnD provided you info that says this post is false. They aren't the worst in the NFL. Do they need to improve, yes. You are nothing more than a Watson only fan. I mean you didn't even like the trade that protected him.

I do agree with your last sentence. If they don't do well, the blame should be shared between BOB/Jesusincleats. But I'm sure we won't be seeing that post from you.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Name at least 1 HC in the league besides O'Brian that has lost 2 timeouts on 1 challenge.
Your point is?

I guess that Ivy League education doesn't mean what it used too and to think these are the people who've been the POTUS for the last 30 yrs, until Trump.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Agreed,

Just k know last year's team for finished where their talent level took them. This yrs team is much more talented, but they aren't ready for a spot in the SB.
That, despite having used up future resources.

BTW, where do you think the Texans would be over the years with Bob if the Tacks and the Meows had hit on their QB and Luck didn't get injured/retired?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Agree to disagree. Minds will not be changed though.

They were an aging team without a QB.
The Texans were "older" than just 9 teams in 2014.
That was not an aging roster.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Texans were "older" than just 9 teams in 2014.
That was not an aging roster.

AJ was on his last legs/AF was injury prone/Myers played 1 more season/W.Smith 2.

So you can use a bunch of UDFA's that only made the roster because of poor drafting and prove your point but you aren't taking things into proper context.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That, despite having used up future resources.

BTW, where do you think the Texans would be over the years with Bob if the Tacks and the Meows had hit on their QB and Luck didn't get injured/retired?
Future resources if you mean having all of your draft picks minus your 1st this yr and having a a 2018 draft so you can build a potentially great young OL to protect Watson then count me as happy.

They would've been fine even if Luck hadn't retired. Brissett has actually played very well this yr. (Top 15 IMHO)

76Texan

Hall of Fame
AJ was on his last legs/AF was injury prone/Myers played 1 more season/W.Smith 2.

So you can use a bunch of UDFA's that only made the roster because of poor drafting and prove your point but you aren't taking things into proper context.
Look at the roster Kubiak inherited as compared to the one that OB got.
Big difference.
A J was young in 2006; Hopkins was young in 2014.
Wouldn't you take AJ in 2013 over Moulds in 2006?
Look at the Oline. Now, that's old.
And who did the Texans have at RB in 2006?
BTW, Arian Foster was an UDFA that Kubiak helped turned into a starter.
O'Brien can go out and find his own guy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well, look at the picks the Colts will have next year.

And by your own account, the Texans aren"t real contenders this year.
What's there to be happy about?

Well, look at the picks the Colts will have next year.

And by your own account, the Texans aren"t real contenders this year.
What's there to be happy about?
Colts have to hit on their picks. They hit 2 yrs ago and didn't last yr.

Picks are good to have but did you know only about 50% of 1st rders hit?

They have an exciting QB, a young OL good skill position guys. There defense has a good DL, the LB's are more than solid and I like how they rebuilt their secondary in season. If they re-sign Roby the CB's should be solid next yr. You dont like the Reid/Gipson S combo? BOB/Watson just have to grow together and the Texans will be fine. They have their full compliment of draft picks if you take into acct the comp pick they're going to get, maybe even getting an extra comp 3rd.

I cant believe not having a 1st rd pick makes you think there's no hope. Why dont you have hope? Is this just your admitted dislike of all things BOB that's bringing you down? Or does your love of all things Kubiak have you feeling this way.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I'm off the Fire OB bandwagon - For Now.

Its taken him 6 years but by all appearances , he's figuring it all out. If it takes the next coach that long …. may as well stick with one who's gone thru the process of suckitude and may have finally learned that his only tool is not a hammer to smash a square peg into a round hole. He's finally putting Watson in favorable situations ….

Will revisit the Fire OB bandwagon at seasons end.

Texansballer74

The Marine

They have an exciting QB, a young OL good skill position guys. There defense has a good DL, the LB's are more than solid and I like how they rebuilt their secondary in season. If they re-sign Roby the CB's should be solid next yr. You dont like the Reid/Gipson S combo? BOB/Watson just have to grow together and the Texans will be fine. They have their full compliment of draft picks if you take into acct the comp pick they're going to get, maybe even getting an extra comp 3rd.

I cant believe not having a 1st rd pick makes you think there's no hope. Why dont you have hope? Is this just your admitted dislike of all things BOB that's bringing you down? Or does your love of all things Kubiak have you feeling this way.

If You know who didn't have any first round picks. You would've crucified the stuffings out of him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If You know who didn't have any first round picks. You would've crucified the stuffings out of him.
If he had followed the current plan of adding talent I wouldn't have.

Adding talent the way they have this offseason is what I was calling for, for a decade. I wanted a draft/ fa/ trade plan for adding talent. Not a draft only plan and 2nd tier fa plan for adding talent.

I've said this since 2010 and many compared my posts to UR/KDogs.

Reactions: JB

austins23

Hall of Fame
I'm off the Fire OB bandwagon - For Now.

Its taken him 6 years but by all appearances , he's figuring it all out. If it takes the next coach that long …. may as well stick with one who's gone thru the process of suckitude and may have finally learned that his only tool is not a hammer to smash a square peg into a round hole. He's finally putting Watson in favorable situations ….

Will revisit the Fire OB bandwagon at seasons end.
Maybe not at seasons end, maybe after the next 3 games

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Regarding the Colts' roster and look at the snap counts, the injury situation, and production...
I dunno steelb.
It looks to me they've begun to solidy it to a point that they have a bit of depth to step in upon an injury (except at QB, I guess, LOL). I don't think they have to look outside yet, unlike the Texans.
With 3 more picks in the first 2 rounds next year, and the cap space from Luck, they'll be able to resign the guys they like and maybe add a significant spot, or at least get some more depth.

And no, I don't even need to talk about Kubiak.
IMO, Reich is a better offensive mind than OB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Regarding the Colts' roster and look at the snap counts, the injury situation, and production...
I dunno steelb.
It looks to me they've begun to solidy it to a point that they have a bit of depth to step in upon an injury (except at QB, I guess, LOL). I don't think they have to look outside yet, unlike the Texans.
With 3 more picks in the first 2 rounds next year, and the cap space from Luck, they'll be able to resign the guys they like and maybe add a significant spot, or at least get some more depth.

And no, I don't even need to talk about Kubiak.
IMO, Reich is a better offensive mind than OB.
We will see if they hit on those picks and even if they do I like how the Texans are currently positioned. Even though they dont have their 1st rd pick they have a young and growing offense. The thing that would offset the Colts and those picks would be health by the Texans. Particularly Watt.

Really what I think you're saying is you like Reich over BOB which isn't surprising since you like almost any HC over BOB.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
We will see if they hit on those picks and even if they do I like how the Texans are currently positioned. Even though they dont have their 1st rd pick they have a young and growing offense. The thing that would offset the Colts and those picks would be health by the Texans. Particularly Watt.

Really what I think you're saying is you like Reich over BOB which isn't surprising since you like almost any HC over BOB.
Nope.
With new HCs, I said I liked guys like McVay and Kyle and lately, Reich - soon after a few games, for their offensive prowess.
Just like I said I'd keep an eye on the Cowboys young OC.

I never said the same with other new HCs.

Bill needs to spend his entire post game conference blaming the refs. Every single question, turn it into a blame game of the refs. I know there are FAR bigger problems than the refs but that needs to be the talking point. I'd have way more respect for getting a giant fine for bitching about these incompetent douches than saying anything else.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
You think if we get embarrassed at home with the "division on the line" on TNF.....something would happen?

Then it'd be a blowout loss after a bye in a monumental game against the Ravens, an embarrassment at home with the "division on the line" against the Colts on TNF, and of course the inevitable bludgeoning against the Patriots on SNF two weeks from now.

Maybe it has to wait until after the Patriots game.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
You think if we get embarrassed at home with the "division on the line" on TNF.....something would happen?

Then it'd be a blowout loss after a bye in a monumental game against the Ravens, an embarrassment at home with the "division on the line" against the Colts on TNF, and of course the inevitable bludgeoning against the Patriots on SNF two weeks from now.

Maybe it has to wait until after the Patriots game.
No. They'll let him finish out the year. MAYBE something happens if we miss the playoffs.

Byrds Man

Waterboy
The other three losses were respectable, this one was over by halftime.
This is just very poor coaching and play calling. Sorry, but I also have to include Romeo as well.

mws

Rookie
Excerpt from the article "Another insulting no-show by Bill O'Brien's Texans" by the Chronicle's Brian T. Smith.

The Texans have yo-yoed all season. Which is also what the Texans have annually done since O'Brien took over in 2014.

Losing is one thing. Randomly not showing up when everyone is watching?

The Texans have perfected that frustrating feat the past six seasons under the same coach.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
lol at thinking this team's habit of "no showing" when everyone's looking. That crap goes back to the inception of this franchise. At this point, it'd probably be easier for us to name the games The Texans actually showed up when everyone is watching.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I get it. And I’m not saying Watson didn’t play bad today because he did. I firmly believe this coaching staff is not quipped to coach Watson to the next level.

I'm in full agreement with you, this regime is not capable of coaching Watson and this team up.
What's crazy is they have made Hopkins just a position reciever. This young man has had a lot of big time plays. Lol and now he like a old reciever only used to move the sticks. Lol

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
lol at thinking this team's habit of "no showing" when everyone's looking. That crap goes back to the inception of this franchise. At this point, it'd probably be easier for us to name the games The Texans actually showed up when everyone is watching.

We have showed up in a few, but came up empty handed on most of them.

This game had the hype of a playoff game. And we folded the same way we did in the playoff game against the Colts.

banned1976

sleeper mode
We have showed up in a few, but came up empty handed on most of them.

This game had the hype of a playoff game. And we folded the same way we did against the playoffs game against the Colts.
Well, they don’t have to wait too long for a shot at another playoff type game to prove themselves worthy. I personally have no idea what to expect. Since O’Brien got here I haven’t known what to expect from his team. And more than ever this is HIS team. I think because of that, when they look like they did today he should receive his fair share of criticism, even though Watson was putrid.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Well, they don’t have to wait too long for a shot at another playoff type game to prove themselves worthy. I personally have no idea what to expect. Since O’Brien got here I haven’t known what to expect from his team. And more than ever this is HIS team. I think because of that, when they look like they did today he should receive his fair share of criticism, even though Watson was putrid.

The next two games will be very critical. The homerism in me wants to believe we will win both of them. BUT, the history of this team and current regime leaves a brother very doubtful. Like you said, we don't know which team will show up. Lol before the bi they looked like they were ready for primetime. Then, you follow that up with a turd burger.

Big timer, I have come to realize this is their identity.

Reactions: ROO

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Bill O Brien is just another Jeff Fischer by another name.
He‘s either Jeff Fisher or this generation’s Brian Billick. Anyone remember Billick getting the reputation as an offensive genius coordinating Denny Green’s WCO offense with two future HOF WRs?

Billick gets the Ravens‘ job and proceeds to run one of the worst, most unimaginative offenses in the NFL. Fortunately, he had a great GM, DC, RB and defensive personnel to overcome his offenses. The Texans are not as lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.