Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

FIRE BILL O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I’ve been called out the trend and that’s Bill O’Brien. You can’t expect these players to flourish with an unstable minded head coach/OC. We’re talking about 6 years of the same madness. And here you are talking about a trend with Watson. Unbelievable, in three years in spite of Bill O’Brien this youngster has still thrown for well over 9000 yards 71 Touchdowns with 29 interceptions. The youngster will improve because he’s a student of the game. Mr. Smith has only bern here a year, so give him his due diligence. Rome wasn’t built overnight. Therefore, stop claiming he won’t improve. Coach Smith will handle up.
One last note: O’Brien has to change.

Watson has to change …. He's got to get the ball out quicker. His greatest strength is also his greatest liability - He thinks he can escape just about anything but its led to teams all playing him similarly - rush 4 , do your best to contain him in a shrinking pocket , drop 7 and keep everything in front of you. This offense can not string together long drives.
Watson's gonna make his highlight plays …. but you limit those you beat the Texans.

Yesterdays game is a prime example - KC did just that for most of the game. KC gave up that first TD on a big play and the offense only put up another 7 points the rest of the way. Essentially the Texans offense scored a hot 14 points , 14 are attributed to the special teams setting them up on a short field and the punt block / return / TD. The defense also set them up in prime position for that FG.

3 quarters - 7 points and no sustained drives.
It aint all on OB , its also on the guy pulling the trigger.

OB has to GO …. don't care where he goes so long as he's gone from here. But Watson has to make some changes.

eriadoc

Texan-American
Watson has to change …. He's got to get the ball out quicker.
Agreed, but all too often, the All-22 has shown nowhere to go with the ball when his back foot hits the end of his drop. That's on scheme and if it happens enough, it breeds that superman mentality. He has to trust the system will put players in position for him to deliver the ball. That's not happening, so he probably doesn't trust the system. You watch any other team in the playoffs and there are guys open. You watch whoever plays the Texans, and there are guys WIDE open. So either Hopkins, Fuller, Stills, and whoever are not good at getting open or there's some questionable scheming going on. I think we all know the answer to that conundrum.

Used to be we had a coach around here that could scheme anyone open. Now, we see the reverse of that. When that type of scheme is in place, I sincerely doubt you'll see the same issues from Watson. In other words, you put Watson on about 20 other teams, and he gets the ball out on time.

VTexan

Rookie
the field goal is fine imo. put it up nearly 4 scores.

but if you kick a field goal on 4th and 1... you better ******* punt the ball at 4th and 4.

that and the fact that he was GOING TO PUNT down 17 in the 4th quarter.. then we had to burn a TO which we would have needed should we have came back.... that is absolutely inexcusable.

Texansballer74

Hall of Fame
Watson has to change …. He's got to get the ball out quicker. His greatest strength is also his greatest liability - He thinks he can escape just about anything but its led to teams all playing him similarly - rush 4 , do your best to contain him in a shrinking pocket , drop 7 and keep everything in front of you. This offense can not string together long drives.
Watson's gonna make his highlight plays …. but you limit those you beat the Texans.

Yesterdays game is a prime example - KC did just that for most of the game. KC gave up that first TD on a big play and the offense only put up another 7 points the rest of the way. Essentially the Texans offense scored a hot 14 points , 14 are attributed to the special teams setting them up on a short field and the punt block / return / TD. The defense also set them up in prime position for that FG.

3 quarters - 7 points and no sustained drives.
It aint all on OB , its also on the guy pulling the trigger.

OB has to GO …. don't care where he goes so long as he's gone from here. But Watson has to make some changes.

Yes Watson has some work to do on his game. But so does that entire offense. Especially that offensive line who struggles consistently with a 3 to 4 man rush. The scheme has to improve immensely. We can't continue to get behind because Obrien stubbornness with running up the gut on darn near every 1st down play. Now we're predictable and at the defense mercy. What happened to the RPO's and misdirection plays that worked great in our first meeting.

The few of yall continues to say Watson have to improve like he's stinking up the joint. But my thing is our offensive schemes/plan is all over the place. Watching the Chiefs and Ravens you will notice they're not switching up their offense every week. They're running what they do best and daring a joker to stop them. They are not switching up their schemes according to what defensive system they will be facing.

Bro that is a lot on a youngster as well as that entire offense.

Cerberus

Hall of Fame
I always try to start off by qualifying things by stating I’m first and foremost a Raider fan. However, I like the Texans too, because I lived in Houston from ’96-’19. So, let me say this. I don’t think BOB is the right HC to take the Texans to the SB, but I also wasn’t surprised the way Mahomes and the Chiefs came back. Remember, they play my Raiders twice a year, so I know what they do. BOB should have also known the Chiefs were’t going to lay down, and he should have kept the pedal to the metal. The player meltdown to match the Chief’s earlier meltdown also didn’t help. The Texans need more discipline and a couple more pieces to the puzzle. At least the Texans have Watson. My Raiders have Carr, who hasn’t been the same since he broke his leg. Now he is more suited for Dancing With the Stars.

tedr

Rookie
Well the Astros just fired Luhnow and Hinch. Maybe Cal can follow their lead.
I really wish the Texans had an owner who was willing to make the tough, but necessary, changes. I don't know if firing both Luhnow and Hinch was the right thing to do, but at least Crane will take action. I think Cal's just happy making a lot of money, and if they happen to make the playoffs, that's fine.

It's not just that BoB can't get his team to a conference championship game (after six years, with a pretty talented team). It's that he doesn't seem to get any better at his job. His team follows up a potentially season-changing win against the Patriots by going down 31-3 at half to a rookie QB at home the next week. That's just unacceptable, and it's on the head coach. As I've said before, his job is to get his team ready to play each week, and he doesn't come close to doing that.

Double Barrel

Staff member
Contributor's Club
When fans from other teams visit here, they can clearly see what we see in OB. I just wish Cal did too.
Cal McNair is a silver-spooned doofus.

Here is his quote from July 2019 when they got caught trying to get Caserio from NE:

McNair described the G.M.-free front office as part of a “flatter organization with a faster management style,” via Sports Business Daily. “The organization is totally re-energized with a team-based approach and new leadership based on sub programs with each sub program being fully optimized as a goal.” Source

What the heck is he babbling on about?? Seriously, he read this crap from a note card. He is unable to even think of this string of pointless drivel on his own. He's clearly a beta personality that needs an alpha to run his franchise, and he's got that in O'Brien. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cal is a little afraid of O'Brien.

The truth is this franchise is a laughing stock of the league for what went down yesterday and the delusional expectations of some fans.

I wish enough Texans fans cared about this franchise enough to turn their collective backs on it and raise hell with the front office until O'Brien is gone. But, we don't have the numbers, and this city will just continue with the status quo BS - lather, rinse, repeat cycle again and again.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Agreed, but all too often, the All-22 has shown nowhere to go with the ball when his back foot hits the end of his drop. That's on scheme and if it happens enough, it breeds that superman mentality. He has to trust the system will put players in position for him to deliver the ball. That's not happening, so he probably doesn't trust the system. You watch any other team in the playoffs and there are guys open. You watch whoever plays the Texans, and there are guys WIDE open. So either Hopkins, Fuller, Stills, and whoever are not good at getting open or there's some questionable scheming going on. I think we all know the answer to that conundrum.

Used to be we had a coach around here that could scheme anyone open. Now, we see the reverse of that. When that type of scheme is in place, I sincerely doubt you'll see the same issues from Watson. In other words, you put Watson on about 20 other teams, and he gets the ball out on time.

This is why I've stated dozens of times I want to see Watson in another system , with another OC - So we know if Watson is part of the problem or not because at this point , we don't know if its one or both.

As for what I'd tell Watson in this current crapshow of an offense: If you hit the top of your drop and have nothing get outa the pocket NOW , don't think you have time , make your own time by getting out on the edge which not only puts pressure on those rushers who are now out of position but those 7 DB's in coverage now have to make a decision. Beat them enough and they'll stop doing that mess.

Reactions: ROO

Texansballer74

Hall of Fame
Don't put words in my mouth.

What I've said all along is that I don't know if Watson is part of the problem or not and that I want to see him with a new coaching staff / new offensive system before making that decision.
My bad. But I do know this much, you have a really good football mind. Therefore, after seeing us go through so many quarterbacks. Why would you even think Watson could be the problem. So far he’s the only QB under this regime to make it look half decent. Especially playing behind an atrocious offensive line every year. By time we do get another HC/OC , this youngster might be damaged goods.

thunderkyss

It's good to be me... again.
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If anything he should have challenged it to see if it was a first down. He wasted a timeout anyway.
Exactly.

In his press conference he was saying how he thought we had a 1st down & was preparing for a 1st down play. But when he realized they didn't give us the 1st it was too late so he went with the kick.

I don't understand how that can be your mindset & then when you realize you need to call a timeout to get the kicking team out there, how can you not instinctively reach for the red flag?

You thought you had a 1st down, you're preparing for 1st down. You find out you didn't get it... challenge it, you might get your 1st (& I think he would) without running a play.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
Who cares? He hit his ceiling yesterday. That's the problem. Vrabel has as many playoff wins as this loser AND done in on the road twice something B'OB hasn't done with or without Watson.

Okay he's a slightly above average HC. Yay, thanks for the division titles and embarrassing playoff losses Bill. Keep on making all the decisions, being HC and OC being overwhelmed, outcoached and embarrassing this team and franchise.

But that's okay because in the SIX years this loser has been making the same mistakes its Deshaun Watson's fault after 2 full seasons and 2.5 seasons worth of games. That's the root of six years of absolute slightly above average garbage
Nope, yesterday was a full team collapse.

Coaching/Offense/Defense

ST's even gave up a long KR.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
I’ve been called out the trend and that’s Bill O’Brien. You can’t expect these players to flourish with an unstable minded head coach/OC. We’re talking about 6 years of the same madness. And here you are talking about a trend with Watson. Unbelievable, in three years in spite of Bill O’Brien this youngster has still thrown for well over 9000 yards 71 Touchdowns with 29 interceptions. The youngster will improve because he’s a student of the game. Mr. Smith has only bern here a year, so give him his due diligence. Rome wasn’t built overnight. Therefore, stop claiming he won’t improve. Coach Smith will handle up.
One last note: O’Brien has to change.
Coach Smith didn't help much this yr.

Brisco_County

Texans worthy
It's notable that the front office has made no public statements today and has done nothing newsworthy after a such a historic failure. No suggestion of even a performance review of a coach or coordinator while all national media and two local beat writers are calling for the head coach to be fired. This seems unusual when a coach is in his sixth year and has delivered an unsatisfactory record and shown no improvement in his flaws. Either Cal is playing it close to the vest or doesn't really have the ice-cold commitment to success that the Gaine firing implied.

Nope, yesterday was a full team collapse.

Coaching/Offense/Defense

ST's even gave up a long KR.
You think the team collapsing isn't a reflection of this loser of a coach? The same bum who in 6 years has had 4 embarrassing blowout playoff losses including an 0-30 butt kicking at home and losing while up by 24 that still resulted in a blowout because the whole team. When this guy is GM/HC/OC been here longer than the rest of the AFC South coaches with slightly above average results, has had every excuse in the book, has had #1 defenses, weapons out the butt and star players many teams would kill for...he has zero excuse.

Everything this team does is a reflection on him. No excuses.

OptimisticTexan

Hall of Fame
I'd fire OB today if I could convince Cal that the next couple of moves would be a leap of faith and an extreme youth movement.

1. Cal needs a new father-figure to lean on and learn the business. His Dad was great at business but lousy at football. Cal learned a lot of bad habits. I would once again recommend that Cal hires Bill Polian for a couple of seasons to come in and be his mentor while over-seeing a young FO and team.

2. I'd hire Eliot Wolf away from the Browns and make him the new GM. I could only hope he could convince Alonzo Highsmith to return to Houston with him.

3. I'd like to take a shot at LSU's young but very talented OC, Joe Brady. He successfully turned LSU's offense around by bringing the Saints offense to CFB. Burrow and LSU had what I view as one of the most dominant CFB seasons in the last 40 years. Look at what he did with Burrow in one season. It would be crazy to roll the dice on a 30 year old but the Rams rolled the dice on a 32 year old McVay and it paid off.

I'd let the young guys grow together so they'd learn to lean on each other and not work against one another. Polian could be the mentor to these guys while they really learn the ropes. He'd also come cheap and probably with some much better ideas for the offense than what we saw from OB in year six.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Sure and Smith was brought in to help with that development without much success.
So you place none of the blame for DWs issues on the “mastermind” of our offensive system and play caller BOB? It’s all DW and Smith?

How about the fact that for 2 of DWs 3 seasons we’ve had one of if not the worst OLs in the league? You don’t think a young QB could develop some bad habits because he’s constantly running for his life? That’s not an excuse, that’s a fact!

How about the fact that, in his infinite wisdom, despite having said horrific OL, OB has retained the OL coach?

How about the fact that whenever WF isn’t playing our offense grinds to a hault? Why can’t your buddy figure out how to score more points when Will isn’t playing, he’s had enough practice! I’m not sure the final tally, but the last report I heard was we averaged 19 pts per game with out Fuller. Look at the offensive juggernauts that average 19 ppg

Why use an offensive system that is so complicated, according to former players, it takes 2-3 yrs to truly grasp? And don’t give me this crap about how it works in NE, they have the greatest QB and HC in the modern era. They run a game plan offense, we don’t. All you have to do is watch the first half of the TB game to see our genius offensive staff run the ball continuously up the middle at the number 1 rushing defense in the NFL to know we don’t “game plan”. You want to see a game plan offense? Re watch the Chiefs beat us like a drum with Travis Kelce, that’s a coaching staff identifying a defensive weakness and exploiting it over and over

Go watch the replay of the Minn/SF game, there are several replays where they illustrate how Kyle Shanahan uses motion to create throwing lanes in the middle of the field. That is terrific offensive design, and something we don’t do. That’s not just my opinion, that was stated by Clint Stoerner on 610, and was one of his chief complaints about OB during the season. Clint has said numerous times that OB doesn’t do enough pre snap to help the QB. Why wouldn’t you want to help your young QB

How good was Steve Young in TB? What happened to him after he was traded to SF, where he was coached by an actual offensive guru. I’m sure if you were in TB back in the day you be making the same comments/complaints about Young you do about DW - Run Steve Run, am I right? Young players never get better with better coaching right? How does Tannehill look this season compared to his previous years in Miami, he didn’t improve at all with a change in coaching staff, right?

DW has about 2.5 seasons of NFL experience, and unfortunately it’s all been under OB. Yes DW has some warts that need to be cleaned up, but I don’t believe OB is doing him any favors. From trotting out atrocious offensive lines, to an overly complicated offensive system, to questionable play calling he could do so much more to help develop this kid.

By the way, you don’t like the WC Offense right? If I’m not mistaking all 4 teams playing in the conference championship games use a version of the WC offense

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
The only thing Watson has to change is his internal clock and on time delivery. that would instantly change with a modern offense that deploys game plans that take advantage of tendency and in house talent. It would be miraculous if these "super cool deep bomb hail mary" plays OBrien loves so much would offer an underneath rush route or utility route. Nope instead its Watsons dumb ass that cant avoid the rush for 4 seconds, scan the 3 routes in the progression and then hope one of those guys is beating his man since there isnt much in terms of schematic release from the passing combo.

this has already been said, posted and regurgitated. only the dense boomer crowd who is holding on to dear life for "All the Pocket QBs" EVERYWHERE are being stubborn. didnt yall just watch Mahomes push our aholes inward while constantly on the move? You set of innovators want Watson to stand still and "find the open guy" LMAO .. it so hilarious. YOu have dummies like PatdStat who blurt out "the receiver is open" and has to be reminded what a damn progression is from a fromer NFL Qb and current coach. SMH.

this is a vendetta for all the draftniks who whiffed on their guy, and it will NEVER be pushed to the side no matter how great Deshaun IS and WILL BE and im here for every minute of it!! the incessant, whiny groans and pleas nourish me!! NOM NOM!

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I'd fire OB today if I could convince Cal that the next couple of moves would be a leap of faith and an extreme youth movement.

1. Cal needs a new father-figure to lean on and learn the business. His Dad was great at business but lousy at football. Cal learned a lot of bad habits. I would once again recommend that Cal hires Bill Polian for a couple of seasons to come in and be his mentor while over-seeing a young FO and team.

2. I'd hire Eliot Wolf away from the Browns and make him the new GM. I could only hope he could convince Alonzo Highsmith to return to Houston with him.

3. I'd like to take a shot at LSU's young but very talented OC, Joe Brady. He successfully turned LSU's offense around by bringing the Saints offense to CFB. Burrow and LSU had what I view as one of the most dominant CFB seasons in the last 40 years. Look at what he did with Burrow in one season. It would be crazy to roll the dice on a 30 year old but the Rams rolled the dice on a 32 year old McVay and it paid off.

I'd let the young guys grow together so they'd learn to lean on each other and not work against one another. Polian could be the mentor to these guys while they really learn the ropes. He'd also come cheap and probably with some much better ideas for the offense than what we saw from OB in year six.
truth is .. it wouldnt be that hard to upgrade the coaching staff, teams do it every year to GREAT success (Rams, Eagles, Packers, Titans, SF) lets not forget San Francisco went from Kap and the Super Bowl, to blowing it all up, and then in the same time frame as OBrien has been here, have been able to field a completely different team and are right back to the cusp of the Super Bowl. Incredible.

Texansballer74

Hall of Fame
So you place none of the blame for DWs issues on the “mastermind” of our offensive system and play caller BOB? It’s all DW and Smith?

How about the fact that for 2 of DWs 3 seasons we’ve had one of if not the worst OLs in the league? You don’t think a young QB could develop some bad habits because he’s constantly running for his life? That’s not an excuse, that’s a fact!

How about the fact that, in his infinite wisdom, despite having said horrific OL, OB has retained the OL coach?

How about the fact that whenever WF isn’t playing our offense grinds to a hault? Why can’t your buddy figure out how to score more points when Will isn’t playing, he’s had enough practice! I’m not sure the final tally, but the last report I heard was we averaged 19 pts per game with out Fuller. Look at the offensive juggernauts that average 19 ppg

Why use an offensive system that is so complicated, according to former players, it takes 2-3 yrs to truly grasp? And don’t give me this crap about how it works in NE, they have the greatest QB and HC in the modern era. They run a game plan offense, we don’t. All you have to do is watch the first half of the TB game to see our genius offensive staff run the ball continuously up the middle at the number 1 rushing defense in the NFL to know we don’t “game plan”. You want to see a game plan offense? Re watch the Chiefs beat us like a drum with Travis Kelce, that’s a coaching staff identifying a defensive weakness and exploiting it over and over

Go watch the replay of the Minn/SF game, there are several replays where they illustrate how Kyle Shanahan uses motion to create throwing lanes in the middle of the field. That is terrific offensive design, and something we don’t do. That’s not just my opinion, that was stated by Clint Stoerner on 610, and was one of his chief complaints about OB during the season. Clint has said numerous times that OB doesn’t do enough pre snap to help the QB. Why wouldn’t you want to help your young QB

How good was Steve Young in TB? What happened to him after he was traded to SF, where he was coached by an actual offensive guru. I’m sure if you were in TB back in the day you be making the same comments/complaints about Young you do about DW - Run Steve Run, am I right? Young players never get better with better coaching right? How does Tannehill look this season compared to his previous years in Miami, he didn’t improve at all with a change in coaching staff, right?

DW has about 2.5 seasons of NFL experience, and unfortunately it’s all been under OB. Yes DW has some warts that need to be cleaned up, but I don’t believe OB is doing him any favors. From trotting out atrocious offensive lines, to an overly complicated offensive system, to questionable play calling he could do so much more to help develop this kid.

By the way, you don’t like the WC Offense right? If I’m not mistaking all 4 teams playing in the conference championship games use a version of the WC offense
Otisbean you have to realize who you're dealing with. Steel is known Watson hater. This beautiful breakdown will go right over his head because truly dude wants DW4 to fail. That way he can say I told you so. It's amazing how he complained about the offensive line for years, especially when they didn't acquire the players he wanted. It was all on Smith but not once did he say how their terrible play could possibly stunt Watson's growth. They finally got a few players he like and we haven't heard anything negative all season on the offensive line. Man that line is still terrible. Lol we might've improved slightly in that department.

All summer dude preached this 2-3 year rebuild post Rick Smith. I guess Watson doesn't get that same timeline. Because he's asking me how long. I'm like bro seriously. Lol
But the thing is I know why .

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame

Too much to respond too,

I agree with alot of this though.

Bottom line is 1. Yes BOB should be fired, 2. Either you think BOB is going to improve with a new HC or not. BTW, Young had far less talent to work with in Tampa than DW4 has here. The only offense at any level that DW4 has been successful in consisted of alot of Run Deahaun Run and you would be foolish to expect that to change regardless of who the HC is.

The Texans didn't lose because of DW4 or BOB, that was a total team failure and the house cleaning I've been calling for should happen, but obviously it's not going to happen.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
Too much to respond too,

I agree with alot of this though.

Bottom line is 1. Yes BOB should be fired, 2. Either you think BOB is going to improve with a new HC or not. BTW, Young had far less talent to work with in Tampa than DW4 has here. The only offense at any level that DW4 has been successful in consisted of alot of Run Deahaun Run and you would be foolish to expect that to change regardless of who the HC is.

The Texans didn't lose because of DW4 or BOB, that was a total team failure and the house cleaning I've been calling for should happen, but obviously it's not going to happen.
Wrong, I want DW4 to succeed, I just don't think he will. That's the difference. It's not personal.

Ok DW4 has regressed, his growth has been stunted. I've asked you how before you will realize DW4 ain't the guy? 51-7. This doesn't make me pro BOB either. Yes they are in yr 2 of a 3 year rebuild. DW4's regression should bother you too but I guess it's easier to just blame everything on something else than his piss poor play over the last month.

steelbtexan

Hall of Fame
The only thing Watson has to change is his internal clock and on time delivery. that would instantly change with a modern offense that deploys game plans that take advantage of tendency and in house talent. It would be miraculous if these "super cool deep bomb hail mary" plays OBrien loves so much would offer an underneath rush route or utility route. Nope instead its Watsons dumb ass that cant avoid the rush for 4 seconds, scan the 3 routes in the progression and then hope one of those guys is beating his man since there isnt much in terms of schematic release from the passing combo.

this has already been said, posted and regurgitated. only the dense boomer crowd who is holding on to dear life for "All the Pocket QBs" EVERYWHERE are being stubborn. didnt yall just watch Mahomes push our aholes inward while constantly on the move? You set of innovators want Watson to stand still and "find the open guy" LMAO .. it so hilarious. YOu have dummies like PatdStat who blurt out "the receiver is open" and has to be reminded what a damn progression is from a fromer NFL Qb and current coach. SMH.

this is a vendetta for all the draftniks who whiffed on their guy, and it will NEVER be pushed to the side no matter how great Deshaun IS and WILL BE and im here for every minute of it!! the incessant, whiny groans and pleas nourish me!! NOM NOM!
51-7

That's leadership/greatness.

If you want to see greatness look at #15 on the other sideline. That was leadership. Meanwhile look at DW4 on the sideline.