Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Fanspeak Mock Draft: OptimsticTexan 2020

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I wanted to see how the dust settled as the NFL gets closer to the draft and tried the Fanspeak simulator to generate this draft:

RD2-08: OT- Isiah Wilson, Georgia / He popped up here so I took him. The teams that could've had him went defense instead. I could live with this come draft day.

RD3-26: CB- AJ Green, Oklahoma State / He's my sleeper pick. Green has good size and speed. He can stay on the hip and actually possesses the ability to turn his head around while running and tracking the ball. He's got some areas to improve but he's got the tools to work with.

RD4-05: RB- AJ Dillon, Boston College / This is the back I've wanted the moment I figured OB was not re-signing Hyde and before he obtained the other Johnson. Dillon is 100% taylor made for OB's offense. I'd even take Dillon in RD3 if I had the feeling he wasn't going to make it to RD4-111.

RD5-25: DL- Nick Coe, Auburn / I could see Coe moving out to EDGE and playing opposite Mercilus. He may have come out a year early but this guy possesses the size and strength to play right away. He's going to take his lumps but the ability is there to become an every down EDGE.

RD7-26: DL- Bravvion Roy, Baylor / A massive body like Roy plugs the hole left by Reader. He's going to need some time to develop and the Texans have a lot of veterans on the DL. Roy could easily get a season to build strength and system knowledge.

RD7-34: OG- Gage Cervanka, Clemson / For whatever reason, teams are shying away from this beast. He's ready to play everyday and has the strength to do it at the NFL level. If he falls to RD7.....then this is where teams are supposed to find gems. I could see Cervanka backing up both Martin and Wilson. I could see him eventually replacing Martin if Martin has another so-so season.

RD7-36: EDGE- Joe Gaziano, Northwestern / Another solid sleeper. I believe he's a 3 year 1st Team Big Ten DE. Gaziano is not going to wow you with a lot look at me antics. He's a high motor player who brings his 'A" game every minute he's on the field. He's had plenty of sacks and TFL this past season and on his career stats at Northwestern. I see hm moving to DE where he could bookend Watt......maybe not in 2020 but should be competitve in 2021.

I'd be very satisfied with this draft since it could really help set the table for 2020, 2021 and beyond.

Do not see Bill taking a RG first two picks but most think OL or WR at 40. I love Dillon but don't see him that high after getting DJ. Not a Coe fan despite stats. Why do we need Roy when we have 3 nose tackles on roster? I also like Cervanka but he needs team with good coach who can teach him to do more than bench linebackers.

I’d be very unhappy with this draft if it goes the way the OP outlined. The Texans don’t have the luxury of waiting until the 5th round to address the defensive line. They lack starters and depth. I don’t count on Watt anymore for an entire season.

They need IDL and edge. Depth and starters. The draft scenario above looks pretty decent if it was for a complete team just looking for quality rotational guys/backups.

Unfortunately, if OB's moves go bust.....the 2020 and 2021 NFL Drafts would offer little to no hope in regards to patching the holes created.

The offense has potentially big problems with the OL. Tunsil remains un-signed which means LT could be a massive issue. Martin had a decent PFF rating but my eyes watched him get rag-dolled and pushed back into the pocket far too many times. Fulton is past his prime or whatever his prime might've been classified as at RG. He also got used and abused by defenses. Howard needs to come back healthy.....if he does, I'm satisfied with his growth potential at RT. I'm also satisfied with Scharping at LG. He should take a nice step in his development in 2020. If Tunsil bails.....Howard could be forced back to LT and I'm not nearly as sold on that thought.

The Texans running game could also become an issue since the team appears to be relying on 2 3rd down receiving backs as the backbone of the rushing attack. Eliminate any fear of the running game and combine it with a below average OL and Watson could be in for a black-n-blue season where a collapsed lung may be the least of his concerns.

On the defensive side of the ball, OB has made moves and probably has high hopes that this unit will enjoy a positive turnaround for 2020. Some of these potential starters have been around the unit for a season, two or three waiting for their shot to start.....OB's going to give them their shot this season. He's also added veteran depth to this unit who may push some for starting spots.

DE- Blackson / Omenihu
NT- Vanderdoes / Savage-Lewis
DE- Watt / Dunn

SLB- Mercilus / Ejiofor / Bellamy
WIL- Cunningham / Cole / Adams
MIK- McKinney / Kalanbayi / Hall
JAC- Scarlett / Martin / Landrum

CB- Johnson, Jr / Hargreaves / Crossen / Gaines
SS- Gipson / Moore / Luani
FS- Reid / Murray / Watkins / Owens
CB- Roby / Conley / Chesley / Armstrong

I'm just thinking out loud but it looks like OB could be satisfied with his off-season work on the Texans defense. The defense "might" be better if the offense stayed on the field longer and allowed the defense to play with some substantial leads a little more often. Funny how those 2 items play such a big part in the success of a defense.

As for the offense, it's going to be shaky at best. Texans lost their number one producer(s) at WR and RB. OB replaced them with 3 questionable athletes who've enjoyed prior success in the NFL but didn't do much in 2019 some even further back. OB didn't address the struggles of his OL and so far appears to be set with rolling into the 2020 season with the same group of starters, provided Tunsil signs. OB has TE's......really good one's if he could just figure out how to deploy them on gameday.

I'm probably wrong but I wouldn't be surprised to see OB go hard on offense since this will be his first draft where no one can tell him no. Maybe this is the draft he uses to upgrade the offense to fit his vision.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, if OB's moves go bust.....the 2020 and 2021 NFL Drafts would offer little to no hope in regards to patching the holes created.

The offense has potentially big problems with the OL. Tunsil remains un-signed which means LT could be a massive issue. Martin had a decent PFF rating but my eyes watched him get rag-dolled and pushed back into the pocket far too many times. Fulton is past his prime or whatever his prime might've been classified as at RG. He also got used and abused by defenses. Howard needs to come back healthy.....if he does, I'm satisfied with his growth potential at RT. I'm also satisfied with Scharping at LG. He should take a nice step in his development in 2020. If Tunsil bails.....Howard could be forced back to LT and I'm not nearly as sold on that thought.

The Texans running game could also become an issue since the team appears to be relying on 2 3rd down receiving backs as the backbone of the rushing attack. Eliminate any fear of the running game and combine it with a below average OL and Watson could be in for a black-n-blue season where a collapsed lung may be the least of his concerns.

On the defensive side of the ball, OB has made moves and probably has high hopes that this unit will enjoy a positive turnaround for 2020. Some of these potential starters have been around the unit for a season, two or three waiting for their shot to start.....OB's going to give them their shot this season. He's also added veteran depth to this unit who may push some for starting spots.

DE- Blackson / Omenihu
NT- Vanderdoes / Savage-Lewis
DE- Watt / Dunn

SLB- Mercilus / Ejiofor / Bellamy
WIL- Cunningham / Cole / Adams
MIK- McKinney / Kalanbayi / Hall
JAC- Scarlett / Martin / Landrum

CB- Johnson, Jr / Hargreaves / Crossen / Gaines
SS- Gipson / Moore / Luani
FS- Reid / Murray / Watkins / Owens
CB- Roby / Conley / Chesley / Armstrong

I'm just thinking out loud but it looks like OB could be satisfied with his off-season work on the Texans defense. The defense "might" be better if the offense stayed on the field longer and allowed the defense to play with some substantial leads a little more often. Funny how those 2 items play such a big part in the success of a defense.

As for the offense, it's going to be shaky at best. Texans lost their number one producer(s) at WR and RB. OB replaced them with 3 questionable athletes who've enjoyed prior success in the NFL but didn't do much in 2019 some even further back. OB didn't address the struggles of his OL and so far appears to be set with rolling into the 2020 season with the same group of starters, provided Tunsil signs. OB has TE's......really good one's if he could just figure out how to deploy them on gameday.

I'm probably wrong but I wouldn't be surprised to see OB go hard on offense since this will be his first draft where no one can tell him no. Maybe this is the draft he uses to upgrade the offense to fit his vision.

Dont worry about Tunsil being re-signed. It probably would've already happened if not for Covid-19. They do need to add an OG and I hope whoever they add is also capable of playing OT. DJ's always been a 3 down RB. I dont get where you're coming from. They do need to add depth at RB and I could see Coutee traded late in camp for another Hyde type RB.

On defense if they can strengthen their DL/Edge/CB positions they would look alot better. I'm hoping for something like this. Lewis Rd.2 Roberstson Rd.3 Agim/Fotu Rd.4

This would help add young cheap talent to the defense and most importantly speed.

51-7

In this draft I think you can add an OG like Stenberg or and OT like Durant/Runyan/Hilbers later in the draft that can also play OG. There are alot of good OL in this draft.

Back