Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Faggins

Grid

All Pro
Im seeing alot of mixed opinions on Faggins. Just wanted to get one place where he can be debated here.

Personally.. im liking the guy. but im not so big a guru of the game that I can give a real informed opinion on him. I see him making the big plays, but when I think back to when hes been on the field, I cant think of any time he has been burnt.. but I know he has.. I just didnt notice or dont remember.

Anyway.. what I want to know is.. does he get burnt alot? is it feast or famine with him? or his he fairly solid?

for a third year CB.. I think he is pretty good. he is an above average nickle and dime CB I think.. and if he continues to improve.. I dont see why he couldnt be our future #2 across from Robinson.

So.. lets hear some other opinions.

On the upside I think Demarcus is getting better, however he gives a big cushion and doesn't have the make up speed. He was a very big reason we were giving up so many third and longs in the beginning of the season. He has quite a few tackles, not a good sign for a guy who is supposed to stop the pass from happening.

Grid you already answeared your own question, Demarcus Faggins is becoming a solid nickle back so long as he keeps the play in front of him. I doubt that he will ever be a true NFL CB because he lacks the skill sets required of that specific position namely the ability to backpedal & transition into a deep route where he lacks the catch-up speed to recover thus getting burned. This is why he allows so much space and seems to play cautiously, he is most effective hidding in coverage then reacting to the play in front.

I'm sorry to say I strongly disagree that he is ever going to be Duntas cover mate by choice. What the Texans need to draft is another true shutdown corner that compliments Duntas speed and big play ability. We need a bigger more physical player so the Texans can create favorable match ups & mix up coverage which negates predictablity a liablity that was seen against a very smart Denver offense last weekend.

I think your trying to rationalize your not so secret ambition of the Texans drafting a DT with the 1st pick in next years draft with the suggestion Faggins is the Texans CB of the future. It would be nice if somehow the Texans are able to get two first round selections again then draft both LSU boyz Marcus Spears & Corey Webster then we would both be happy, the Texans would be happy and the defense would be set for the future.

Well, the one thing I noticed was when Glenn came out of the Titans game, McNair didn't really have anyone to throw to anymore and Faggins did a decent job. I think the same thing happend against Oakland too. He has made two big plays for us. I think he too knows he has a ways to go before he can say he is a true CB.

think your trying to rationalize your not so secret ambition of the Texans drafting a DT with the 1st pick in next years draft with the suggestion Faggins is the Texans CB of the future. It would be nice if somehow the Texans are able to get two first round selections again then draft both LSU boyz Marcus Spears & Corey Webster then we would both be happy, the Texans would be happy and the defense would be set for the future.

Nah, draft picks didnt even come into it.. i just think that Faggins could be our next starting CB if he continues to improve.

But, about draft picks. I think a DT is our top priority in the draft.. I think we will take one in the 1st, unless there just isnt anyone available that we really want, then, yah.. i could see us going CB.

honestly though.. our Dline is getting old.. 2 of our 3 starters will be retiring here soon :P.. we need some young linemen who can start getting reps while we still have the depth to give them time to learn.

Faggins is having a great season, especially for a sixth round draft choice 3 years ago. I doubt that he ever becomes a starting corner for us, but I do feel comfortable having Faggins out there for a week or two as a starter if someone gets hurts...

Faggins has done much better than I thought he would. I wasn't impressed with him the few times I saw him play for Kansas State and didn't think he would be able to make the roster. He has proved me wrong and is a pretty good nickle back. I don't think he would be a long term solution as Aaron Glenn's replacement, but when he's on top of his game he is a quality nickle back.

The Texans have four first day picks in the next draft. In no particular order, I think they will draft a D-lineman, ILB, CB, and center (or maybe running back).

Robinson is the nickel back and Faggins takes D Rob's spot at RCB when the Texans go 5 DBs. There might be exceptions but that's the way it is most of the time.

exceptions or adjustments based upon defensive schemes, fair enough. Exposing Dunta to the Fullback (collision) or Tight End (touchdown) is not a match-up that favors the Texans. The Texans tried to mix up formations without the proper personel, placing players at risk and the team vulnerable to mis-matches. Very agressive & ill advised the results speak for themselves.

in the passing game teams are testing robinson....but they're exploiting 1 of 2 players....brown and faggins. i actually like faggins because of his quickness and his heart...he plays with a lot of grit and im glad hes stepped up. but i dont think hes a long term fit at nickleback...dimeback? yes. hes just not consistent enough to me and hes also penalty prone. i guess ive just watched him burned one to many times on crossing routes.

i think thats one of the areas on defense we have to address in the offseason. glenn is how big? 5'10? robinson is about 5'9? and faggins is about the same. i think it might be nice to have a steady 3rd corner who happens to be 6'1 or so especially in an era when recievers are getting bigger and bigger every year.

i look for that nickleback postion to be a first day draft pick.

Back