Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Evidence of BOb's horrendous game management

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Every head coach, at any level, needs to have a grasp of the clock when getting the ball back late in a game with a lead. We got the ball back with 1:25 left, and TB had one timeout. He had to know that we win with three kneel downs. Not kneeling was not his biggest blunder, however. Once the ball was reset after the holding penalty was declined, the officials should have rolled the clock. It is inexcusable that Bob did not catch that mistake and have them correct it. I genuinely don't understand what he is thinking about and why he doesn't have someone competent in his ear if he can't manage these situations.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Dude. Take off the rainbow glasses and sit yourself. Today we lucked into a win against a bad team. This performance in the playoffs gets us clobbered 50-7.
Really? Winston was producing 30 plus points a game and over 400 yards. I'd say this was a big win against a pretty good team to get into the playoffs with the South division win. The Texans won on the road against a very good team.
Get over yourself.
The Texans are now the AFC South Division Champions.
In spite of you negative anti-fans.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Really? Winston was producing 30 plus points a game and over 400 yards. I'd say this was a big win against a pretty good team to get into the playoffs with the South division win. The Texans won on the road against a very good team.
Get over yourself.
The Texans are now the AFC South Division Champions.
In spite of you negative anti-fans.
Nah bruh, get over yourself. AFC south is not a superbowl so stop thinking it's good enough.

Furthermore, your game day threads were good. You need to kick it up and start doing those again because roughly a hundred posters here are looking for it.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Nah bruh, get over yourself. AFC south is not a superbowl so stop thinking it's good enough.

Furthermore, your game day threads were good. You need to kick it up and start doing those again because roughly a hundred posters here are looking for it.
Brother. I appreciate you're posts.
But sometimes you're a real bummer.
I know I try to keep the optimism up and that the weekly game threads are appreciated. The last 2 weeks have been crazy for me. I have a Christmas crazy 8 year old who has an Elf on the Shelf looking after him. A wife who is Christmas crazy and family that are taking up a tremendous amount of time from me. I can't say that I don't enjoy the family time because I really do. As a matter of fact, I've had as blast with our family over the last few weeks. I do miss this board and all you guys. I'm really glad my weekly threads are appreciated. I'm sorry I haven't been able to be here. I'll be here for the last game against the Tacks and for the playoffs. Have a very merry Christmas brother.

powda

Brother. I appreciate you're posts.
But sometimes you're a real bummer.
I know I try to keep the optimism up and that the weekly game threads are appreciated. The last 2 weeks have been crazy for me. I have a Christmas crazy 8 year old who has an Elf on the Shelf looking after him. A wife who is Christmas crazy and family that are taking up a tremendous amount of time from me. I can't say that I don't enjoy the family time because I really do. As a matter of fact, I've had as blast with our family over the last few weeks. I do miss this board and all you guys. I'm really glad my weekly threads are appreciated. I'm sorry I haven't been able to be here. I'll be here for the last game against the Tacks and for the playoffs. Have a very merry Christmas brother.
Very cool post. It doesn't matter if were at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to our expectations.

Again, I know others appreciate your game day threads and I do to. Be well. Thanks.

Reactions: ROO

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I thought the best evidence was my wife.

In her first game EVER, she questioned the ability of OC and HC without me saying anything... I was far too busy explaining the base rules of the game to her to complain about OB. Once the rules were laid out... she started noticing.... bad decisions and that a certain someone was a liability.

You can say she has heard me complain enough... but the moment the football talk starts up... an immediate gloss over of her eyes appears.

The same thing happens to me when I watch Japanese cartoons with her. So I know she doesnt hear it.

powda

I thought the best evidence was my wife.

In her first game EVER, she questioned the ability of OC and HC without me saying anything... I was far too busy explaining the base rules of the game to her to complain about OB. Once the rules were laid out... she started noticing.... bad decisions and that a certain someone was a liability.

You can say she has heard me complain enough... but the moment the football talk starts up... an immediate gloss over of her eyes appears.

The same thing happens to me when I watch Japanese cartoons with her. So I know she doesnt hear it.

I'm not certain what the hell this means but I like it.

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Very cool post. It doesn't matter if were at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to our expectations.

Again, I know others appreciate your game day threads and I do to. Be well. Thanks.
I think of it like this. There was a brief moment where football was taken away from Houston. We no longer had the Oilers. Then a Houston legend brought football back. All of a sudden we had the Texans! I loved the logo and the name when it was unveiled. I thought they were perfect for this city. I was a fan from day 1. I always had hope and still do. In spite of the odds and how bad the team may have been. Even when there was actually hope that this was a good team and those hopes were dashed to pieces. I'm never going to stop being a Texans fan and I'll never give up hope that this can be a good team. Even if O'Brien remains the coach (and possibly GM).

Last edited:

JamTex

Hall Of Fame Texans Fan!
Every head coach, at any level, needs to have a grasp of the clock when getting the ball back late in a game with a lead. We got the ball back with 1:25 left, and TB had one timeout. He had to know that we win with three kneel downs. Not kneeling was not his biggest blunder, however. Once the ball was reset after the holding penalty was declined, the officials should have rolled the clock. It is inexcusable that Bob did not catch that mistake and have them correct it. I genuinely don't understand what he is thinking about and why he doesn't have someone competent in his ear if he can't manage these situations.
Really? Didn't the Texans win? Enough said.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
See, now, here's the thing. If OB stumbles into the SB with the Texans looking like day old dogshit all the way but still winning, and won the SB, by golly we'd probably love the cement headed bastard. And we've all see the Texans when they're having one of their good days. It just most of don't trust him and never the **** will until he actually does stumble his way into a SB win.

And some of us probably still wouldn't trust him until he did it twice. LOL

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I remember when @dalemurphy used to post a lot. I hope with the new direction of the board we see more of his posts.

But I am dumbfounded by one thing:

Why are we still looking for evidence of OB’s bad game management. This is known?

Bugman7star

All Pro
There is that small hope that something magical will happen and OB and the staff do a complete 180 and start playing some consistent, dominat football in the postseason. However what we have seen so far does not inspire confidence for when we get to the playoffs. We have to see this team do something. I don't want to rely on luck or calls by these awful NFL refs to get us wins. That won't work against the other AFC division winners. OB needs to be willing to do something different to stay competitive.

mws

Rookie
That's a good point, LOL. I thought this was worth isolating and discussing because there simply is no excuse. It is not a judgement call to understand when the clock should be running and when it shouldn't
Obviously O'Brien does not agree with you.

To paraphrase O'Brien after the 9/15 game against the Jaguars from his radio show "There's a lot that goes into game management. More than anybody would ever understand unless you are in football."

powda

Obviously O'Brien does not agree with you.

To paraphrase O'Brien after the 9/15 game against the Jaguars from his radio show "There's a lot that goes into game management. More than anybody would ever understand unless you are in football."
Ie we're all stupid and he knows best.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Passing the ball at the end was dumbfounding. Not checking the forward progress on the near 1st down was sketchy. It was a shaky offensive performance by the whole offensive unit.

thank goodness for RAC ... again.
I was watching the game with no audio. Did they explain why BOB didn't challenge that possible 1st down? I thought it was really close and challenge worthy since it would pretty much seal the victory. I thought maybe he didn't have a challenge left? Can anyone explain?

amazing80

Hall of Fame
I was watching the game with no audio. Did they explain why BOB didn't challenge that possible 1st down? I thought it was really close and challenge worthy since it would pretty much seal the victory. I thought maybe he didn't have a challenge left? Can anyone explain?
In the presser he said the ref mentioned the runner ran backward on his own so OB didn't think they would overturn it.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
In the presser he said the ref mentioned the runner ran backward on his own so OB didn't think they would overturn it.
That doesn't make any sense. If the runner runs backwards on his own, then is contacted/tackled short of the line of gain, then he's going to be marked where he was contacted, not where he started running backwards on his own...

amazing80

Hall of Fame
That doesn't make any sense. If the runner runs backwards on his own, then is contacted/tackled short of the line of gain, then he's going to be marked where he was contacted, not where he started running backwards on his own...
Correct. So he ran backwards before he was touched and they marked him where he was touched. Allegedly.
I would have challenged in that moment. Just telling you OBs reason why he didn’t.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
I think of it like this. There was a brief moment where football was taken away from Houston. We no longer had the Oilers. Then a Houston legend brought football back. All of a sudden we had the Texans! I loved the logo and the name when it was unveiled. I thought they were perfect for this city. I was a fan from day 1. I always had hope and still do. In spite of the odds and how bad the team may have been. Even when Rhee was actually hope that this was a good team and those hopes were dashed to pieces. I'm never going to stop being a Texans fan and I'll never give up hope that this can be a good team. Even if O'Brien remains the coach (and possibly GM).
Man I love the enthusiasm, I used to just be grateful that Houston had a team again, but the up and down nature of this O’Brien led team is too much for me.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
I thought the clock should run as well, but rule states last two minutes of half and last five of game it does NOT wind after a penalty. If the game clock is stopped after a down in which there was a foul by either team, following enforcement or declination of a penalty, the game clock will start as if the foul had not occurred, except that the clock will start on the snap if: (1) the foul occurs after the two-minute warning of the first half; (2) the foul occurs inside the last five minutes of the second half;

Now why he was not kneeling is the bigger question

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
See, now, here's the thing. If OB stumbles into the SB with the Texans looking like day old dogshit all the way but still winning, and won the SB, by golly we'd probably love the cement headed bastard. And we've all see the Texans when they're having one of their good days. It just most of don't trust him and never the **** will until he actually does stumble his way into a SB win.

And some of us probably still wouldn't trust him until he did it twice. LOL
It would take a minimum of three times for me. Coughlin and Eli did it twice. Blind squirrels and acorns.

Skyking

Practice Squad
It would take a minimum of three times for me. Coughlin and Eli did it twice. Blind squirrels and acorns.
They will never be any good with this coach. Watson only plays half a game. Hands off to running back on first down, anyone can do that. Two plays to make a first down and kicks on fourth down. So sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
He was saving his timeouts to hand them out to the rest of the league as Christmas presents.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
TB has the worst pass defense in the NFL... 2 of their starting WRs were out. This team isn't ready.
TB has the worst pass defense and BEST RUN DEFENSE and OB called Hyde up the gut on first down for what seems like the entire first half, putting the Texans behind the chains. The team is more ready than OB. It will get curb stomped by Buffalo.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
They will never be any good with this coach. Watson only plays half a game. Hands off to running back on first down, anyone can do that. Two plays to make a first down and kicks on fourth down. So sad.
For some reason the first time I read this I thought it read like a Trump tweet and I just read it again and yea it sounds like a Trump tweet LOL

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
I understand what you mean and you are correct. I don't mind if BOB wants to run, but does every play have to go up the middle? Crap, mix it up some!