Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

ESPN Texans Draft Review

BigTex

Noob
ESPN Insider's Draft Review

Houston Texans - The Texans' draft certainly wasn't spectacular, but it did address most of their needs and they potentially got some quality reserves in the later rounds.

For starters, the Texans made the right decision by drafting DC Dunta Robinson instead of DT Vince Wilfork with the 12th overall pick. Not only was Robinson a better value but he also helps to fill two needs, as he should become an immediate starter opposite Aaron Glenn, which will allow Marcus Coleman to move inside to safety. The team also was able to add quality depth in the secondary with the fourth-round selection of DS Glenn Earl and the sixth-round selection of DC Vontez Duff.

Earl needs to bounce back from a knee injury, but he has the potential to become an upgrade over Eric Brown at the strong safety position. Duff will never be more than a sub-package cornerback, but he is a solid player who should push other reserves such as Kenny Wright, Jason Simmons and Demarcus Faggins for time at corner and Duff also has great experience in the return game if necessary.

Jason Babin was a good value late in the first but, more importantly, he is exactly the type of player who the team was looking for in its rush linebacker. Babin, who led all of DI-A college football in tackles for loss as a senior, has terrific upfield burst and playmaking skills. He will likely play the role of situational pass rusher at first, but should eventually take over for Charlie Clemons as the starting ROLB in the team's 3-4 scheme. Sixth-round pick Charlie Anderson and seventh-round pick Raheem Orr are similar type players that will fight for roster spots as situational pass rushers.

If there was one complaint about the team's draft it is that it failed to draft one of the class' bigger defensive tackles to back up Seth Payne at the nose tackle position. Junior Ioane will likely need to fill that role now, but if Payne, who is coming off major ACL surgery, is unable to make it the full year, the team's run defense will suffer again.

QB B.J. Symons will get a chance to prove he's recovered from knee surgery and wasn't a product of the Texas Tech system, but in all likelihood he'll either wind up cut or on the practice squad. WR Sloan Thomas, on the other hand, is a solid enough prospect to compete for the No. 4 or No. 5 receiver spot in what is a very thin corps of receivers.

Finally, don't forget when you are grading this group of drafted players that the team also used its second-round selection on RB Tony Hollings in the supplemental draft. Hollings obviously took a backseat to Domanick Davis last season, but Davis is an undersized back who will need to be spelled and may have trouble staying healthy. Hollings' presence is good insurance at that position and, if Hollings can stay healthy and continue to develop, he may wind up becoming the better of the two backs.

Taken From HoustonProFootball Message Board. Thanks, cellsworthox

Good Article. If Davis can pick up his blocking skills I like to see them both in the backfield at the same time. Davis has shown he can go into routes out of the backfield and run between the Tackles. With Davis at Full back and Hollings at tailback, the Texans would have great game breaking opportunities out of the backfield. That with two tights could be a powerful run game.

Well, I for one liked our draft. However, no one will know if the draft was good at least untill we see our top two guys in action. Most of the rest of the picks will take a year or more to work out the wrinkles.

I really like Hollings and his speed. 150 yards per game his first year at RB until he blew out his knee. He needs to protect the ball better or Capers will never put him on the field.

Grid said:
he needs to get over his fear. he runs timid.
He does but its understandable, he blew out his knee. I hurt my knee during basketball practice, sprained all the ligaments in my knee, and missed a month and a half. When I came back I would not drive the lane worth anything (that was my game before I got hurt), and was even afraid to jump up for a layup with someone behind me. It was even tough for me to defend anyone because I couldnt move as quick as I once did. And thats basketball.

I wonder how McGahee is going to run like this year.

I think with one season under his belt, he will be a little more confident with hid knee. He wont run so protective any more.

good article except for the fact that they said we had pick #12...hollings will definitely have to step it up this year, or else DD will get killed...

hollings last year ran main outside...toss or sweeps if you will...he just tried to run and turn the corner...and i know he has the speed to but that isn't going to work always...he needs to run more patiently like you said bottle-o-bud...and look for the holes that will develop...give him time and i'm sure he'll start to show some patience otherwise he'll be the next back after wells that is on the way out

To me, he was still coming off injury so I won't judge the kid off a handful of carries in a admittedly poor NFL offense (like it or not that is the truth). He wasn't expected to do much and he didn't. I saw some great burst though. He gives us speed in the backfield on 3rd and longs. I like him in the flat against linebackers. I think we have a good young combination of backs that bring different skills to the table.

If he progress like we all hope, we will have a VERY solid running game. I still haven't a feel for what Hollings hands are like. A quick screen over the middle might be right up his ally if he can catch. He would blow right by the linebacker.

well let me ask ya'll this...there has been several critics of our backs not being every down backs...including davis...do ya'll see it as they do or do ya'll believe as i do that davis is an everydown back that can carry the full load throughout the season?

I think it is too early to tell. We live in a microwave society, and everyone wants to sum everything up instantly. Jury's out in my book.

Hollings was a calculated risk, a risk that has yet to be surmized. Not a high probability risk but a moderate risk. My personel opinion is journeyman at best. It will be interesting to add up the productivity of the Texans backfield against the league average, still think Texans will be above that average. I'm also thinking one of our new draftees may prove to be a pleasent surprise in the backfield, Lord have mercy :banana:

keyfro said:
well let me ask ya'll this...there has been several critics of our backs not being every down backs...including davis...do ya'll see it as they do or do ya'll believe as i do that davis is an everydown back that can carry the full load throughout the season?

Hollins is Another James Allen (aka Scrub)

I agree with Vinny on this one (call the press!!!). We really haven't even seen the real Hollings yet.

beerlover said:
I'm also thinking one of our new draftees may prove to be a pleasent surprise in the backfield...
What draftee??? The only new back I know about is the college FA, Tim Gale out of Northeastern.

The biggest leap a NFL player can make physically is after his 1st full offseason program. I expect guys like Wand, Peek, and Hollings to come back to training camp different players. Last preseason, I said Hollings would need a full offseason to get stronger. He's getting that as we "speak". Hollings has an opportunity to help the team this season with his speed, he can really turn the corner. I think he'll be an important contributer in a reserve role.

At this point in the year, we can argue about last years draft choice. This time next year, we can argue about this years draft choice.

To early to tell, but he (Hollings) may have the worst word in the dictionary hung on him...Potential.

Back