Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[ESPN] Arian Foster stiff-arms doubt

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
It's the front page story on ESPN right now...

Arian Foster stiff-arms doubt
Texans RB and NFL rushing leader, undrafted in 2009, out to prove he's no fluke

By Jeffri Chadiha
ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&page=hotread05/ArianFoster

HOUSTON -- Arian Foster strolled into a spacious room beneath Reliant Stadium last Thursday and gasped at the sight before him.

Numerous Houston Texans employees roamed around long tables filled with endless paraphernalia: gleaming helmets, freshly pressed jerseys, assorted hats and countless photos. Foster had been told that key players would need to sign many of those items to help the team's marketing department.

What he didn't expect was a task that might leave his hands cramped and throbbing.

"I didn't know I had to sign this much," he said while picking up a marker.

That would be about as close as Foster would come to complaining before starting what would be an hour-long process. He knew full well that it was an honor to be signing autographs alongside stars like Pro Bowl wide receiver Andre Johnson. At this time last year, few people in the Texans' organization would have bugged Foster for one signature. Now he can't show up for a home game without finding a smattering of his No. 23 jerseys scattered among the crowd.

Moments like that autograph signing remind Foster how far he's come on a road few NFL players would want to travel. They indicate that all the hardships he's suffered --- along with all the doubts he's had to overcome -- were all prelude to a bigger, more rewarding picture, one that has turned him into one of the league's most buzz-worthy backs.

"I've always believed in myself because I don't like people telling me what I can't do," Foster said. "Unfortunately, that's been happening throughout my entire life. And I've always tried my best to not listen to that stuff."

That attitude has turned Foster, 24, into the first breakout star of this young season. Even after the New York Giants held him to 25 rushing yards in a 34-10 loss in Week 5, he leads the league with 564 yards (to go along with four rushing touchdowns and a 5.8 yards-per-carry average). Foster's presence also has added another dimension to a Texans offense that already featured an explosive passing attack.

Thanks to Foster's effectiveness, Houston's receivers are facing a lot more single coverage these days while quarterback Matt Schaub is convincing more defenders with his play-action fakes.

On top of all that, the 6-foot-1, 227-pound Foster brings a noticeable nastiness to a backfield that had rarely displayed that quality.

"What I like most about Arian is that he runs with an edge," Schaub said. "He has a real chip on his shoulder and he brings that aggressiveness to the field. It's like he's trying to prove something with every step."

Added New York Giants safety Deon Grant: "The guy has great vision and a knack for getting through holes. But the one thing about him is that he definitely runs hard."

It's a long article. More at the link.

Maaan. I read your thread title too fast, and read it as Arian Foster doubtful with a stiff arm. I damn near had a heart attack.

Thanks for the link, but you just scared the living **** out of me. lol.

I'm definitely picking up that book but I fail to see what being Deaf has to do with making lotsa money but whatever helps inspire him into becoming a determined RB is okay by me.

ESPN said:
Thanks to Foster's effectiveness, Houston's receivers are facing a lot more single coverage these days while quarterback Matt Schaub is convincing more defenders with his play-action fakes.

This would be true in theory if our passing game wasn't sucking right now. Has the reporter even watched the Texans play?

Back