Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Eric Murray welcome to Houston

They're nickel and diming away at the cap, so that, combined with the offense's dip in production for 2020, they'll have justification for a lowball offer towards Deshaun.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
I'm all in on the conspiracy theory that Lord Emperor Dumbass is actively trying to destroy this team from within
Its either an inside job or complete incompetency at every level. There is just no other way to explain it. None of this makes any sense. What an absolute **** show. BOB mus have complete autonomy to pull the trigger when and as he sees fit. Cal is a complete bafoon to let this happen and the old man has to be spinning in his grave.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Its either an inside job or complete incompetency at every level. There is just no other way to explain it. None of this makes any sense. What an absolute **** show. BOB mus have complete autonomy to pull the trigger when and as he sees fit. Cal is a complete bafoon to let this happen and the old man has to be spinning in his grave.
The incompetency has been there from the get go with the QB carousel we went through before Watson got here. Yeah this deal with Nuk is bad and I’m as pissed as everyone else, but it really shouldn’t be a surprise. This is what he is.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
The incompetency has been there from the get go with the QB carousel we went through before Watson got here. Yeah this deal with Nuk is bad and I’m as pissed as everyone else, but it really shouldn’t be a surprise. This is what he is.
Oh the incompetence has always been there but he’s been the Teflon Don in the past. There’s always been some kind of out but this one makes no sense on any level.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Could be replacement if Jordan Reid decides to ask for more money. JR could be trade material. I don't think he played special teams either.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Oh the incompetence has always been there but he’s been the Teflon Don in the past. There’s always been some kind of out but this one makes no sense on any level.
He's out pretty soon but it's too little too late. We don't even have the core of an expansion team. Maybe we could entice the Raiders to move here so we would have a team to root for.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
He's out pretty soon but it's too little too late. We don't even have the core of an expansion team. Maybe we could entice the Raiders to move here so we would have a team to root for.
I think the Raiders missed out on a much much bigger market in San Antonio.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Would really like for someone to at least "try" and make sense of this deal. I understand we need a backup safety, but he got paid like a starter. Not only that, but a proven starter... since they gave him 10mil gtd! Does anyone know if we got into a bidding war w/ another team?
Its really just a 2 year deal for 13 mil. They can opt out after 2021 and save roughly 5 mil if it comes to that..And he basically was a starter for the Browns having started 13 games for them over that time span. he's also younger & faster than Addae & Gipson and offers more flexibility in the secondary....

There...pick it apart.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
@dream_team

here's a more thorough and informed opinion on the Murray fiasco .. heads up its not more of the same "Rainbows and Unicorns" from the OBrien subjugates so if thats what you're looking for just keep reading the posts here from the Fab 5.

if you want a lateral view on this move without the fluff .. read on.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
@dream_team

here's a more thorough and informed opinion on the Murray fiasco .. heads up its not more of the same "Rainbows and Unicorns" from the OBrien subjugates so if thats what you're looking for just keep reading the posts here from the Fab 5.

if you want a lateral view on this move without the fluff .. read on.

That is a good solid read. River's is pretty much an anti-Obrien guy, so I take most of his articles with a grain of salt. However I see no justification in the contract given to Murray.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Its really just a 2 year deal for 13 mil. They can opt out after 2021 and save roughly 5 mil if it comes to that..And he basically was a starter for the Browns having started 13 games for them over that time span. he's also younger & faster than Addae & Gipson and offers more flexibility in the secondary....

There...pick it apart.
The thing is, he almost got the same contract as Tashaun Gipson. Gipson is only getting 500K more guaranteed money. Gipson was a 6 year starter before coming to Houston, where he was signed to be the starter as well.

Murray has never been a full-time starter, and he's not being brought in to be a starter... so the size of the contract doesn't match up with his past experience and his expected role on this team.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The thing is, he almost got the same contract as Tashaun Gipson. Gipson is only getting 500K more guaranteed money. Gipson was a 6 year starter before coming to Houston, where he was signed to be the starter as well.

Murray has never been a full-time starter, and he's not being brought in to be a starter... so the size of the contract doesn't match up with his past experience and his expected role on this team.

Right, but

1- we don't know what Weaver's plan for defense is or his expected role. All we know is that he's a S/CB hybrid. A slot CB "technically" isn't a starter either, but with how defenses are these days, these guys may as well be considered starters.
2 - we don't know what Gipson's status will be going into the year...I believe there are some pretty decent savings to be had if they decide to move on from him this year.
3 - With release of Addae, we needed the depth anyway
4 - Perhaps the new db coach wanted him
5- He has been a starter for quite a few games
6 - what other better options were out there?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Right, but

1- we don't know what Weaver's plan for defense is or his expected role. All we know is that he's a S/CB hybrid. A slot CB "technically" isn't a starter either, but with how defenses are these days, these guys may as well be considered starters.
2 - we don't know what Gipson's status will be going into the year...I believe there are some pretty decent savings to be had if they decide to move on from him this year.
3 - With release of Addae, we needed the depth anyway
4 - Perhaps the new db coach wanted him
5- He has been a starter for quite a few games
6 - what other better options were out there?
You are expressing need, desire, potential. I'm talking about value. I understand what we hope to get out of him, what I don't understand is the cost that we paid.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Would really like for someone to at least "try" and make sense of this deal. I understand we need a backup safety, but he got paid like a starter. Not only that, but a proven starter... since they gave him 10mil gtd! Does anyone know if we got into a bidding war w/ another team?
I don't know how I'ma make it out of here clean
Can't even keep track of who plays for the other team
Iconic duos rip and split at the seams

How many baby mammas Justin Ried got?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
You are expressing need, desire, potential. I'm talking about value. I understand what we hope to get out of him, what I don't understand is the cost that we paid.

Right, but all of that factors into value and as I’ve stated in several other threads, value is relative. Stephon Diggs has yet to be voted to a damn pro bowl in his career and has never made an all pro team. Look at his contract though...He’s getting paid pretty much the same amount as Nuk. What’s more is look at the premium Buffalo got suckered into paying for him to go play with a guy that has a little bit of an issue connecting on deep balls.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Right, but all of that factors into value and as I’ve stated in several other threads, value is relative. Stephon Diggs has yet to be voted to a damn pro bowl in his career and has never made an all pro team. Look at his contract though...He’s getting paid pretty much the same amount as Nuk. What’s more is look at the premium Buffalo got suckered into paying for him to go play with a guy that has a little bit of an issue connecting on deep balls.
Value is determined by demand. I guess I'm really asking is was there some type of demand for Murray that we're not all aware about.

Even though we need a backup safety, and possibly the coaches see something in him, doesn't mean we should pay more than we have to.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Value is determined by demand. I guess I'm really asking is was there some type of demand for Murray that we're not all aware about.

Even though we need a backup safety, and possibly the coaches see something in him, doesn't mean we should pay more than we have to.
Right, but potential, need and desire do factor into the demand for services man. Lebron James signed a 90 million dollar deal with Nike before he even took a shot in an NBA game. Nike basically gave him all that off spec. Nick Foles got paid a boatload of cash from the Jags last year...pretty much based on their intrinsic need & desire for a veteran qb.

I guess my thing is how can you make the determination that we paid more than we had to if you don't know what the demand for the guys services was? Aside from that, the name of the game in FA is that you overpay. I think the fact that he was signed the 1st week of FA says alot about the demand for his services. Had we given this deal to him 2-3 weeks later when all the smoke cleared i could maybe see what you're saying.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This really came down to Nuk wanting a good deal and Nuk not being a good teammate.

The McNairs weren't going to redo that would cost money.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
This really came down to Nuk wanting a good deal and Nuk not being a good teammate.

The McNairs weren't going to redo that would cost money.
I dont believe so. As i've stated i believe Nuk saw the writing on the wall in that he knew he wasn't going to be able to get that Julio Jones extension money he wanted after DW4 & Tunsil got paid. It was a preemptive strike on his part to get out now while he was still at the top of his game and could command that type of money. If DW4 and Tunsil's contracts come down to the wire, that would've been right in the same window as the optimal time to renegotiate his contract....& well, we know who would've won that battle.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Right, but potential, need and desire do factor into the demand for services man. Lebron James signed a 90 million dollar deal with Nike before he even took a shot in an NBA game. Nike basically gave him all that off spec. Nick Foles got paid a boatload of cash from the Jags last year...pretty much based on their intrinsic need & desire for a veteran qb.

I guess my thing is how can you make the determination that we paid more than we had to if you don't know what the demand for the guys services was? Aside from that, the name of the game in FA is that you overpay. I think the fact that he was signed the 1st week of FA says alot about the demand for his services. Had we given this deal to him 2-3 weeks later when all the smoke cleared i could maybe see what you're saying.
Lebron James got 90 mil because ALL shoe companies wanted him. There was huge demand for him before he entered in the NBA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was there a demand for Murray's skills that we don't know about? I'm not saying I know for a fact that we overpaid, that's why I asked my original question. What am I missing here that warranted that contract? Was there a demand for Murray (from other teams) that warranted paying him like a full-time starter?

Eric Murray is getting a 300% raise (compared to last season). With no obvious reason, I think it's fair to ask what warranted that raise.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Lebron James got 90 mil because ALL shoe companies wanted him. There was huge demand for him before he entered in the NBA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was there a demand for Murray's skills that we don't know about? I'm not saying I know for a fact that we overpaid, that's why I asked my original question. What am I missing here that warranted that contract? Was there a demand for Murray (from other teams) that warranted paying him like a full-time starter?

Eric Murray is getting a 300% raise (compared to last season). With no obvious reason, I think it's fair to ask what warranted that raise.
They all wanted him, but b/c of the potential of what he could be in the NBA, not b/c he had proven ANYTHING on the NBA level yet.

I don't know & Its fair to ask the question, i just don't think you're going to get that answer unless he speaks on it on 1 of these radio shows.

281Texan

Waterboy
Love how vonn bell and Randle are still on the market, likely will take 1 year prove it deals with a team and we just gave this dude $7m a year lol

Edit: I stand corrected. Vonn Bell just went to the bengals for LESS than what we’re paying Eric Murray. $6m/year over 3 for Bell. Unreal.

Last edited: