Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ekwonu or Neal?

Neither but if those two must be 1.3 I would go Ekwonu as a probable all pro at LG as I just do not see him becoming able to round out speed rushers in NFL as he did in college. Neal would be my RT and I would worry forever if the 15 lbs he lost before combine to get to 337 would be found as soon as he signs contract. 350 + isn't so much my worry but edging back to close to 400. Will he be Jordan Mailata the 2nd who at ~350 rated 87PFF and 3rd best NFL? If I thought he would be that in his 2nd year sure.. but I do not.

Neal because I think he could step right in at LT once Tunsil leaves and LT is one of the highest priced positions. I think he can be RT until Tunsil goes giving Mills one heck of a bookend OT arrangement.

I think Ikem will be Quenton Nelson 2.0 at OG but I don’t want him at LT over Neal. I do think he would be perfect for installing a smashmouth offense but OGs aren’t valued as high as LTs for a reason.

Can’t go wrong with either but positional value gives edge to Neal.

Can’t go wrong with Neal, seems like perfect fit for Texans. Really good situation for your QB. Imagine Jameson #13? How much more potent the passing attack would be and still shot @ top RB early 2nd Kenneth Walker or Breece Hall.

Can’t go wrong with Neal, seems like perfect fit for Texans. Really good situation for your QB. Imagine Jameson #13? How much more potent the passing attack would be and still shot @ top RB early 2nd Kenneth Walker or Breece Hall.

I was a Neal fan .... could become one again .... just worried about what he's hiding .... he's refusing to work out !

I was a Neal fan .... could become one again .... just worried about what he's hiding .... he's refusing to work out !

Not saying related, but someone else mentioned scaring associated with Bama OL prospect (Caldwell) but the Bama guy Neal reminds me of is Orlando Brown. His workout actually contributed to his draft stock slide to 3rd rd. These tackles are unique to position and skill set, not workout numbers favorable. Wise in my view for him not to workout. He did interviews, measurements and medicals. Which, in his case should be enough just look at his tape.

Not saying related, but someone else mentioned scaring associated with Bama OL prospect (Caldwell) but the Bama guy Neal reminds me of is Orlando Brown. His workout actually contributed to his draft stock slide to 3rd rd. These tackles are unique to position and skill set, not workout numbers favorable. Wise in my view for him not to workout. He did interviews, measurements and medicals. Which, in his case should be enough just look at his tape.
His tape shows his lateral footwork and speed are suspect for a LT and that he would be a much better OG than an OT.

I get the Blindside, Lawrence Taylor argument, but still ... ?
Maybe you don't get that argument?
Not saying related, but someone else mentioned scaring associated with Bama OL prospect (Caldwell) but the Bama guy Neal reminds me of is Orlando Brown. His workout actually contributed to his draft stock slide to 3rd rd.
Didn't Orlando Brown go to Oklahoma?
His tape shows his lateral footwork and speed are suspect for a LT and that he would be a much better OG than an OT.
Neal's tape also shows that his slide step is substantially longer than shorter OTs. So he can be a little less urgent and a little more deliberate and still get to the edge with little problem.

Maybe you don't get that argument?

Didn't Orlando Brown go to Oklahoma?

Neal's tape also shows that his slide step is substantially longer than shorter OTs. So he can be a little less urgent and a little more deliberate and still get to the edge with little problem.
That substantially longer slide step takes substantially longer to make.

Orlando Brown was at OU unless youre talking about his daddy

But it covers more distance.
It amuses me to see how people second guess the experts.

Phan, there could be accuracy to that. Watched a segment with a coach, an interviewer, and Joe Thomas - 10 or 15 years ago .... how a lineman should block on the move. They said, and Joe demonstrated, that when moving laterally while pass blocking, that an elongated kick-slide to cover the ground, was not nearly as stable as a rapid, piston - like motion .... it allowed the blocker to remain in balance while moving right or left .... and for a big guy, Joe's feet were like that of a typewriter ! But, it does require more balance and coordination .... and more pertinent to this discussion, a ton more effort !

Evan Neal:
“Just draft me in the top 3….then you’ll get to see what I can do”.

Sounds eerily similar to what someone else said in late 2020. I’m not exactly thrilled with the results to date.

Brugler just released the Beast, his 2022 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings per position. As always excellent work and worth the subscription-
He does have Ekwonu rated as his #1 OT, Overall, Ekwonu isn’t a refined blocker and must improve his landmarks, but he is nimble, powerful and should continue to get better and better as his technique and awareness mature at tackle. He has the traits to become an elite run blocker in the NFL and should be a rookie starter at tackle or guard.

It is what it is, Texans can’t really lose either way, depending on who is available.

Brugler just released the Beast, his 2022 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings per position. As always excellent work and worth the subscription-
He does have Ekwonu rated as his #1 OT, Overall, Ekwonu isn’t a refined blocker and must improve his landmarks, but he is nimble, powerful and should continue to get better and better as his technique and awareness mature at tackle. He has the traits to become an elite run blocker in the NFL and should be a rookie starter at tackle or guard.

It is what it is, Texans can’t really lose either way, depending on who is available.
Unfortunately, it's behind a paywall.

I'd like to see Ickey at #3 and Dylan Parham at #80. Draft a RB (I'm partial to Algeier if they can pick up a 5th round pick somehow or Dameon Pierce in the 4th) and TE Derrick Deese Jr in the 6th round and I feel like they'll make significant gains in the run game this year.

As much passion as you have the price is well worth it. Athletic service covers national well as local (Texan) beat writers. Podcasts and valuable NFL content year round.

Yeah, but Phan's passion is not the price of what's behind the paywall .... the ability/talent/success, or lack there of, for the extremely dear price of the 3rd pick in this year's draft is.

Back