Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Double D

willy

Noob
What the hell is wrong with Domanick Davis?????

I had him in my fantasy lineup yesterday but he has to leave the game AGAIN with an injury...anyone knows what is happening...???

Last year I had David Carr on my fantasy, and he was an average backup, Domanikc Davis had a fantastic year (at least, in fantasy terms...). This year, David is my starter, making like 30 fantasy points per week, but Domanick didn't do anything...AAAAAAAAAAARGHHHH....!!!!

Willy

I don't mess with fantasy football myself, but I've got a few pieces of advice (even though I'm a Texan fan):

1) I wouldn't have chosen DD for a whole season, because he's small and a little injury prone. He can be really good at times, though. Maybe your choices were somewhat limited. I don't know.

2) Our offensive line has made great strides, but it was definitely not ready to really protect Carr last year. We're still a little concerned about it this year, as a matter of fact, but it's getting better all the time. Of course, then there's the Andre Johson factor. :headbang:

So, basically, you chose two great players, but they were still not real great picks. Try Carr again in a few years. :thumbup

Yeah, me too. I'm happy with what Wells has been doing, but I'm worried that he won't be able to keep it up, for whatever reason, and DD seems to have just lost it. Is it just me, or does anyone else think Wells was EXTREMELY slow to the hole yesterday? It seemed like slow motion, but he still got decent yardage.
I say "hole" kind of tongue and cheek because I still don't really get the new blocking scheme. I'm not even seeing holes or a hole at all. I think I'm seeing the O-line just trying to stand up the man in front of them and let the RB FIND a hole, if there is one at all. I know it works for Denver, so that's why I don't complain. I'm no expert on blocking schemes, anyway. I just understand the basic "push your guy back and away from the hole that will be run through" approach. That and pulling guards to run sweeps.

texan279 said:
Personally, I am a little worried about our RB situation.
Me too. Davis is averaging 2.9 yards per carry (I think that was Wells' average during the inaugural year). Wells is doing a good job but I dont think he is anything more than a quality backup. And what happened to my boy Hollings??? It is looking like we will use a high pick on RB and there are a couple of good ones coming out...

We need a bigger set RB. Davis is too small. Not too small but not the size you'd like your every down back to be.

SBTexans08 said:
We need a bigger set RB. Davis is too small. Not too small but not the size you'd like your every down back to be.

This is so funny. I always been listening about the "little" Domanikc Davis, but Priest Holmes is 5-9, 213 and Domanick is 5-9, 221... (NFL.com)...anyway, I think too that Davis maybe was a nice surprise the last season but...he's not for real anymore...

Willy

willy said:
This is so funny. I always been listening about the "little" Domanikc Davis, but Priest Holmes is 5-9, 213 and Domanick is 5-9, 221... (NFL.com)...anyway, I think too that Davis maybe was a nice surprise the last season but...he's not for real anymore...

Willy

Good point willy but considering we don't have the O-line Priest Holmes has, Davis doesn't appear to have the size for our system. Hopefully our O-line gets it together and begins to open up holes for D.D. or else you'll see the same lack of ground production in our game and more injuries as well.

Yeah, this is the part that I dont want to see... :D Im sure that with a powerful Oline doesnt mind who is running...

Do you think that we will have to select a Rb in the next Drat? I will prefer a pure pass rusher like a great DE...

Willy

willy said:
Yeah, this is the part that I dont want to see... :D Im sure that with a powerful Oline doesnt mind who is running...

Do you think that we will have to select a Rb in the next Drat? I will prefer a pure pass rusher like a great DE...

Willy
They are really no pure pass rushing DE's for a 3-4 defense. The D-Linemen's job is to take 2 blockers and free up space for the LBs.

Carnell Williams and Cedric Benson are two guys I would like...

Ok, look guys this is just simply "the way it is".

1. Davis is not small. His size is not an issue. Niether is his "ability". He's a good running back but not a great one. He's got a major drawback in terms of staying healthy and right now his head's a little bit off kilter but he's not "done". The Domanick Davis we saw last season was Domanick Davis. It's just that DD last year looked like Walter Payton compared to what we'd been getting prior to that. His instincts are great and he's got a real knack for seeing and then popping through holes but he's in the worst kind of funk a back of his kind can get in. He's thinking about everything he does instead of just doing it. Maybe it's because he's had a big bout of the fumbles this season or maybe it's too much pressure for him after he put that "2,000 yard season" thing out there but his biggest problem (aside from being apparently fragile) is in his head.

2. Wells IS slow to the hole. Wells is always going to be slow to the hole and no power in the universe is ever going to change that. When he gets that big load of his going though he looks like a beast. It just doesn't happen that often. In order to look good Wells needs excellent blocking. Excellent, nothing less will do because if the defense catches him before he gets up a head of steam he's going down right then and there.

Davis isn't the answer and Wells isn't the answer. I suspect that niether is Tony Hollings but the jury remains out at this time. Both can and will have their moments but niether one is going to be our "Franchise Back".

Ronnie Brown is another guy who looks good at Rb this year.

I really like Erasmus James from Wisconsin at DE. But i think he is 2 small for the 3-4. Makes me wonder why we skipped out on Wilfork.

Look at this past years RB draft class and how they have done. The number 1 back selected is a backup(Stephen Jackson). Kevin Jones (2nd RB picked) has rushed for 100 yards so far. The next three picked (Bell, Jones, and Greg Jones) are backups also. The most productive RB of last years draft so far is Mewelde Moore, and he was picked in the fourth round.

My point is that if we pick a RB high, it's by no means an instant upgrade. I wouldn't mind picking a RB in the third or fourth, but let's not use a first round pick. RB's don't always make immediate impacts and they are always a risk because they take such a pounding.

SBTexans08 said:

Say what you want about DD's performance or how the Texans use him, but this DD is too small thing needs to be put out to pasture. Try looking at the top 20 backs for rushing yards--three of them are over 225 lbs--the majority are smaller than DD.

wags said:
Look at this past years RB draft class and how they have done. The number 1 back selected is a backup(Stephen Jackson). Kevin Jones (2nd RB picked) has rushed for 100 yards so far. The next three picked (Bell, Jones, and Greg Jones) are backups also. The most productive RB of last years draft so far is Mewelde Moore, and he was picked in the fourth round.

My point is that if we pick a RB high, it's by no means an instant upgrade. I wouldn't mind picking a RB in the third or fourth, but let's not use a first round pick. RB's don't always make immediate impacts and they are always a risk because they take such a pounding.

That's why I suggested Kay Jay Harris. He is likely a 3rd round pick because he was a JUCO transfer and this is his first full season at the Division 1 level.

wags said:

Isnt that any position? A risk? With any 1st rounder, you are taking a huge risk. QB, WR, RB. Those are the big three. Why not go big on a RB?

QB WR RB DB DE Those are needed to win IMO.

2002 David Carr. QB
2003 Andre Johnson. WR
2004 Dunta Robinson. CB
2005 DE or RB.

corrosion said:
Because they took Dunta ?

What does the 3-4 need to survive? a hard nose NT. Wilfork is a great prospect, and what I think would have been a great guy to get in here and take over eventually for Payne, whom we are lucky to have this year. Lets hope he sticks around all season.

I just think that guys like Wilfork, are more rare than Robinson.

The question IS the zone blocking? Is it the correct blocking scheme for us with the personel we have or should we use the same blocking scheme we used last year?

We're trying the zone blocking scheme similar to that of the Broncos. We all can see that any running back can run in that scheme. Thats cause of they're O-line. I like our O-line however I don't think that scheme isn't for those guys or at least not at this time. Our O-line must adjust once again with changes in the offseason. Only McKinney and Wiegert are the only two that are starting in the same position as last year. Maybe we should have waited until 2005 season to start the zone blocking so the O-line could get use to playing together.

If you look back at last year DD ran for over 1,000 yards in 10 games and that was with the "normal blocking" scheme. He would have had about 1400-1500 yards last year if he started the season. Perhaps we should go back to that.

DC_ROCK said:
Isnt that any position? A risk? With any 1st rounder, you are taking a huge risk. QB, WR, RB. Those are the big three. Why not go big on a RB?

Sure every draft pick is a risk, but you can't argue the fact that RB's take more punishment than a QB or a WR. That is why they are more of a risk.

Its not that people arent willing to take the risk on an RB really.. its that they are a risk because ANY RB chosen in ANY round could be a flop, or a star. So why take one in the first when you could take something less risky.. and choose an RB later that has just as good a chance of being a star as any?

No we wont change to a 4-3 and yes it is a bad idea. We have geniuses of the 3-4 on our coaching staff, lets play to their strengths.

Id rather have Dunta than wilfork. we went with BPA and i honestly beleive Dunta was the BPA. Yes the NT is very important for a 3-4.. but Wilfork is not the only promising NT to have come out of college, and he isnt the last either. our FO seems to put ALOT of weight in getting "their guy".. they dont want the guy everyone is raving about, they want the guy that fits their organization, and fits their playstyle. Wilfork may not have fit that.. and when we do get "our NT".. im sure HE will.

as shallow as the NT position looks in this years draft.. you never know what we are going to do. There are plenty of 300+ pound linemen in college football.. and any one of them could be floating under the radar.. showing our FO exactly what they want to see. Like Jason Babin.

Back