Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Do we have the end?

Is this the end of Billy-Willy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JWTexans

Waterboy
Y'all are kidding yourselves if you think the McNair's are going to pay Gaine/BOB/New GM/New HC next yr.

Y'all should know by now that the McNair's love their $$$$.
That's the one thing that nobody seems to think about. He still has to fulfill the contracts of Gaine/BoB/Kelly/whoever else gets ran off. He's not doing that and paying a new GM/HC/OC and DC. Plus if BoB is gone then Easterby is gone too. Thats a lot of dead money which isn't even taking into consideration the amount he's gonna have to pony up for a new GM and HC that are gonna want long terms deals to undo and rebuild what OBrien has torn apart.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
That's the one thing that nobody seems to think about. He still has to fulfill the contracts of Gaine/BoB/Kelly/whoever else gets ran off. He's not doing that and paying a new GM/HC/OC and DC. Plus if BoB is gone then Easterby is gone too. Thats a lot of dead money which isn't even taking into consideration the amount he's gonna have to pony up for a new GM and HC that are gonna want long terms deals to undo and rebuild what OBrien has torn apart.

I made this exact point in another thread.

Already paying Gaine to not GM for the remainder of this year.

Run off OB and you are paying him not to HC/GM for this year and next.

All the assistants under contract that go also dead money.

Now you have to pay the new GM , HC and staff ....

Gaine was under contract thru this season - OB next so I could see them making the move after this season. Paying one year of OB isn't so bad as paying one year of Gaine and two years of OB along with an entirely new staff.

Sending Miami two picks 3-6 and 35-38 would really piss me off ... on top of a failed season.
Some heads would have to roll.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
True

I dont necessarily think Easterby would be let go if BOB is fired.

Gaine was under contract thru this season - OB next so I could see them making the move after this season. Paying one year of OB isn't so bad as paying one year of Gaine and two years of OB along with an entirely new staff.

Sending Miami two picks 3-6 and 35-38 would really piss me off ... on top of a failed season.
That is a death sentence, especially during a period when you're adjusting to less profit (ownership) and resources (team).

badboy

Hall of Fame

Do we keep paying people who are destroying the business? Better to pay them not to. It is not my money though.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I think you said that OBrien would be hired quickly; would that not stop what McNairs owe him? or at least all but difference?

Honestly he probably would find a new gig pretty quickly considering the 9-7's he was able to produce , someone would buy his excuse for what went wrong here and give him a job.

He's not a terrible coach ... he's an average one.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Are you sure Easterby goes too? Texans haven’t emptied the FO and Coaches room at the same time in their history, and it’s been 14 years since the one time they did both sides close together.

I could imagine them keeping Easterby and going after McDaniels as HC and Caserio as GM to keep their New England philosophy.

In some ways I wonder if we might be better tanking 2 years, pit the shackles on OB so no more trades, suck for this season and next, and give a new GM/HC combo some picks and cap space to work with going into 2022. They will have a year shackled to Watson and Tunsil to work out if they are any use before the dead money becomes manageable in 23.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I used to at least give him that much. I’m not so sure he’s even that anymore. He doesn’t change, doesn’t adapt, doesn’t get better. With him it’s the same o same o over and over and over.

He’s had enough talent (that he eventually runs off), and is beating enough crappy to mediocre teams to look average, but I’m not believing that anymore. This guy is well below average to me.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Honestly he probably would find a new gig pretty quickly considering the 9-7's he was able to produce , someone would buy his excuse for what went wrong here and give him a job.

I think he's terrible, but I hope you're right and he's quickly rehired in our division

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I used to at least give him that much. I’m not so sure he’s even that anymore. He doesn’t change, doesn’t adapt, doesn’t get better. With him it’s the same o same o over and over and over.

He’s had enough talent (that he eventually runs off), and is beating enough crappy to mediocre teams to look average, but I’m not believing that anymore. This guy is well below average to me.
The only times he won was because of the defense

Toro Bravo

Rookie
I think you said that OBrien would be hired quickly; would that not stop what McNairs owe him? or at least all but difference?
I was wondering this also. I don't know how it works but I have previously heard of teams not having to pay the full remainder of the contract if the ex-employee gets another job.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Yes, OB will be gone if this does not get corrected soon.

They owe more money to Watson (Not to mention other players) than they owe OB.

If they feel that OB is hindering the growth of their franchise qb who’s big money is soon to kick in, he will be gone.

What they potentially lose by keeping a bad head coach around is far greater than what they’d gain by trying to save $$$ by not hiring replacements. They’d save on OB’s deal and Instead be throwing hundreds of millions away on players.

As bad as I think the teams ownership is, I think they are smart enough to realize that it doesn’t benefit anyone to keep a head coach around just so you don’t have to eat his contract vs keeping that head coach and further setting your team back, mainly your franchise QB. That’s IF they realize that OB ain’t it.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
True

I dont necessarily think Easterby would be let go if BOB is fired.
Yep. That kind of move would definitely fit the profile of their M.O.

There is nothing bold about the McNairs, so I would expect their safe-space management style continues into the foreseeable future.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
Maybe McNair is trying to pull a Bud Adam’s, and move it to another city, LOL. Only logical explanation I can think of, Bot that I believe it. Besides Reliant is about to be two decades old, based on the current NFL model the team needs a new three to six billion dollar stadium.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I've got no desire to see the McNair's hire anymore NE personnel or staff.....unless Belichick wants to leave NE and prove he could do it with another organization. Time for the Texans to go in a completely different direction and stay away from NE and Denver personnel.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Maybe McNair is trying to pull a Bud Adam’s, and move it to another city, LOL. Only logical explanation I can think of, Bot that I believe it. Besides Reliant is about to be two decades old, based on the current NFL model the team needs a new three to six billion dollar stadium.
That thought dawned on me when I realized the Rams stadium in St. Louis was less than 20 years old when they moved to Los Angeles.

But, such a bold move would be 1) un-McNair like, and 2) foolish when the golden goose has made a nice little nest on Kirby. Why rock the boat? Plus, this was Bob's stadium, so nostalgia certainly plays a part.

badboy

Hall of Fame

If Jets get 1.1 and Trevor Lawrence I think team and O'Brien could meet up. Bill might convince that he should be HC and GM over what they have. With those picks plus cap space he could do much better. Do you think Jets fans would be happy to be division champ?

If Jets get 1.1 I would hire Clemson OC Tony Elliott as HC as he coached both Watson and Lawrence. Sweeney at almost ten million too steep.
Brandon Streeter QB coach since 2014 might be convinced to become NY OC as he helped Lawrence become who he is.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yes, OB will be gone if this does not get corrected soon.

They owe more money to Watson (Not to mention other players) than they owe OB.

If they feel that OB is hindering the growth of their franchise qb who’s big money is soon to kick in, he will be gone.

What they potentially lose by keeping a bad head coach around is far greater than what they’d gain by trying to save $$$ by not hiring replacements. They’d save on OB’s deal and Instead be throwing hundreds of millions away on players.

As bad as I think the teams ownership is, I think they are smart enough to realize that it doesn’t benefit anyone to keep a head coach around just so you don’t have to eat his contract vs keeping that head coach and further setting your team back, mainly your franchise QB. That’s IF they realize that OB ain’t it.
Watson cap 2021 $16 m so a good cost for QB and hopefully a full round draft in 22 plus decent four picks 2021 might help when Watson begins the 40 million. 4 + 5 in 2022 = 9 cheap contracts to counter balance would help cap. Tunsil's dead $ drops drastically after 2021.
I would go RB, OG, CB in 2021 first three picks then best player for highest need in 2022. We probably will have high picks for at least three starters and a couple comp selections also.

This depends on Dashaun being player most say he is and not getting injured.

badboy

Hall of Fame
where?